PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's Shirt!!!!

Deuce
05-06-2005, 11:17 PM
In less than two years, we've gone from shirts with collars and rather discreet clothing maker logos to sleeveless shirts with HUGE, OBNOXIOUS CLOTHING MAKER ADVERTISING LOGOS.

Of course, we've also gone from Frank Sinatra to Britney Spears... North american culture has shifted rather blatantly from things of depth and substance to things of mere flash and style, as everything, it seems, is now geared toward appealing to 13 year old kids exclusively.

What's next for tennis? Flashing lights on racquets? Forehead advertising tattoos, perhaps?

Andy Hewitt
05-06-2005, 11:53 PM
HUGE, OBNOXIOUS CLOTHING MAKER ADVERTISING LOGOS.

Esplain yoself!

BreakPoint
05-06-2005, 11:57 PM
What's next for tennis? Flashing lights on racquets?

Deuce, you're amazingly prescient! Have you seen the new Head Flexpoint Radicals in the stores yet? They actually DO HAVE flashing lights on them!! There's even a battery attached to the cardboard insert to power the flashing lights, which are located at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions where the Flexpoint holes are! Flashes like a Christmas tree on the racks on the wall. Yes, it's true! Believe it or not!! Head marketing at its finest!

Deuce
05-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Unbelievable.

The very sad thing is that the lights will actually help them to sell racquets.

This, from the culture whose hobbies have gone from reading Plato to watching American Idol.

Sigh...

nswelshman
05-07-2005, 12:46 AM
HUGE, OBNOXIOUS CLOTHING MAKER ADVERTISING LOGOS.

What are your views on the huge, racquet maker logos painted onto pros' tennis strings?

I personally dislike that huge black patch with the swoosh on the back of Rafaels shirt, but I don't mind the print on the front or the capri.

Noelle
05-07-2005, 02:04 AM
That huge black patch was ironed-on at the last moment to cover up the gigantic letters "NIKE" on the shirt backs, since that was ruled illegal.

pound cat
05-07-2005, 02:45 AM
That seems like a lot of work. I would have changed shirts

Morpheus
05-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Hey Deuce, how long has it been since it was common in our culture to read Plato? I can't believe this trend just snuck up on you. We've been shallow for quite some time now.

I'm looking forward to the day when Wimbledon resembles the Daytona 500. The colors and excitement will be too much for those scuffy, beer guzzling spectators with their toothless grins who motored to Wimbly in their Winnebagos.

aj_m2009
05-07-2005, 05:16 AM
That seems like a lot of work. I would have changed shirts

I would have never wore the shirt in the first place lol, then there would have been no need to change shirts or iron on patches.

goober
05-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Is Nadal required to wear that shirt or does he choose to? There are a lot of pros sponsored by Nike that don't wear Nadal's shirts or Capris.

Anyhoo I don't see how the clothing of one 18 year old spanish tennis player is an example of the decline of North American Culture.

nswelshman
05-07-2005, 05:36 AM
Anyhoo I don't see how the clothing of one 18 year old spanish tennis player is an example of the decline of North American Culture.

He may be Spanish, but he is owned by The Man ;)

Phil
05-07-2005, 06:07 AM
In less than two years, we've gone from shirts with collars and rather discreet clothing maker logos to sleeveless shirts with HUGE, OBNOXIOUS CLOTHING MAKER ADVERTISING LOGOS.

Of course, we've also gone from Frank Sinatra to Britney Spears... North american culture has shifted rather blatantly from things of depth and substance to things of mere flash and style, as everything, it seems, is now geared toward appealing to 13 year old kids exclusively.

What's next for tennis? Flashing lights on racquets? Forehead advertising tattoos, perhaps?

Dude - Please let me (and the rest of the world) know exactly when "North american (sic) culture" was EVER one of "depth and substance". Specifically when did this "culture of depth and substance" flourish, between June and August of 1933?

Thank you.

Noelle
05-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Is Nadal required to wear that shirt or does he choose to? There are a lot of pros sponsored by Nike that don't wear Nadal's shirts or Capris.
That's true. However, Moya wore it, and it seems like his protege wears almost all the things he does (except for the pirate pants--those are Nadal's specialty).

goober
05-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Dude - Please let me (and the rest of the world) know exactly when "North american (sic) culture" was EVER one of "depth and substance". Specifically when did this "culture of depth and substance" flourish, between June and August of 1933?

Thank you.

Don't be hatin on American culture. We have given the world

Rap music

Fast food

Trash TV

Tailgating

Weak Beer

WTF else do ya want!

VamosRafa
05-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Nike must have express mailed some non-patched shirts to Nadal. He's back to the gear he wore in earlier tourneys, without the big logos.

DashaandSafin
05-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Seriously what is this board full of? Old men thinkin of the good ol days when they had to walk 5 miles to go to school or something? Culture is culture whats here is here. Dont fight it and certianly dont complain on a tennis board. Its just as bad as those idiots who post over and over again on how ESPN dosent show anything except Roddick or Sharapova. Well theres nothing you can really do about it. Might as well sit back and watch the times change ya ol fart.

aj_m2009
05-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Nike must have express mailed some non-patched shirts to Nadal. He's back to the gear he wore in earlier tourneys, without the big logos.

Is he really? Thank God, no more ugly-shirted Nadal for the pic album for my site.

Superior_Forehand
05-07-2005, 08:08 AM
see the thread "hrbaty's shirt"