PDA

View Full Version : Head Rip Control

mrmo1115
03-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Anyone use this string/tried it out?

How does it play?

I am a poly/gut user (hybrid) and want to see how this string feels.. a friend of mine uses it.

Any opinions on the string would be appreciated.

tsongaali
03-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Anyone use this string/tried it out?

How does it play?

I am a poly/gut user (hybrid) and want to see how this string feels.. a friend of mine uses it.

Any opinions on the string would be appreciated.

I just used it about a month ago. Pretty soft string for probably the most durable of synthetic guts. Tension maintenance is decent, as well as feel. Spin is a bit below average (I found more spin on psgd). Durability is nowhere near to gut + poly however. Only use it if you can never break poly fast enough, but break most syn guts pretty early.

Jakedasnake
03-29-2010, 08:20 PM
haha, just finished a set of this. I strung up a set of the 17 gauge in a full job. 55 lbs on a K Pro Open. It was good. Played quite soft, low powered, Spin was average for a 17gague string. Didn't seem like the texture did much. The durability was ok, 12 hours. I would say it's one of the best values out there, Strongly recommend.

1st Seed
03-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Honestly MO there really aren't to many strings like it.It's a 50-50- ratio on these boards some love it some hate it.Would make a great poll.

I love it, Quality made by Iso-Speed.Low powered,Quite durable for a Multi.Soft enough and has a very incredible dampned feel.Polyolefin wraps really eliminate any unwanted feed back from the frame.Inexspensive,Good for TE,I usually buy it in reels alot of people I string for love it as well.Pockets the ball exceptionally well.
I perfer it as a cross only, and use a more powerful main,IE;NrG or WC Explosive.It might be a cheaper alternative to Gut but nothing beats NG.Your Poly mains will most likly eat through it but for the 6 to 10 hrs you get I'm sure you'll learn to appreciate it.For the Price can't beat it,I hope they never stop making it or my stringing days are over.I believe Gilles Simon hybrids with it as well?I'dd grap a few packs if I were you.I love hearing peoples reaction after a few sessions on HRC so post back and let us know what your thoughts are.
Take Care.

supineAnimation
03-29-2010, 08:36 PM
It's a multi; not a synthetic gut. Soft, and durable for a multi. Not much in the way of bite or spin, though. I like the price more than anything else about it.

mrmo1115
03-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Alright I'm going to order it... give it a shot

Don't know what I'm going to expect b/c I use a hybrid of PHT/Gut...any opinions on what I may feel different? Lack of something? Gain of something?

tlm
03-29-2010, 09:13 PM
In a full set up it is not very good.But as a cross it can be very good.It definitely will tone down the power if you are looking for more control.

mrmo1115
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
In a full set up it is not very good.But as a cross it can be very good.It definitely will tone down the power if you are looking for more control.

Would a Pro Hurricane Tour/HRC combo instead of my normal PHT/Gut combo result in any positive effects ?

Main reason why I'm searching for some replacements or just out of total curiosity of how some of these strings feel.

Otherwise I can always wait for RPM Blast to be a replacement for my PHT.

coloskier
03-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I use the 17 gauge string and love it. Very soft, very low powered, good access to spin, great feel and control. Good string for players suffering from TE. I use it in both a BLX90 and the KPS88. The biggest problem I have is that I can't find anyone in the USA that sells the string in a reel.

Al1978
03-30-2010, 12:11 PM
As others have said, Rip Control is a very soft and low-powered string.

Also bear in mind that a full bed is 2-3 grams lighter than most multis and 5-7 grams lighter than typical polys. So if you're a stickler for weight and balance, you may want to add lead at 3/9 to offset the weight reduction, which you'll certainly notice if changing from a full bed of poly to RC.

mrmo1115
03-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I strung up a PHT/Rip Control string job... test it out tomorrow.

Anyone see any obvious and notable differences I may feel between this and my natural set up? (PHT/Gut)

tsongaali
03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I strung up a PHT/Rip Control string job... test it out tomorrow.

Anyone see any obvious and notable differences I may feel between this and my natural set up? (PHT/Gut)

How did you get it so fast? you said you ordered it right?

ManuGinobili
03-31-2010, 01:55 AM
Soft, extremely durable, dead feel, little bite/pocketing... no string like it... no one likes it, as in you either love it or hate it.

mrmo1115
03-31-2010, 09:35 AM
How did you get it so fast? you said you ordered it right?

Get it through a wholesale place... Takes one day to arrive here.

Soft, extremely durable, dead feel, little bite/pocketing... no string like it... no one likes it, as in you either love it or hate it.

Yeah I bounced the ball a few times, hit a couple volleys back in forth in the house with my brother and it seems as if the Rip Control is giving me a very "dead feel" to my string bed.

I am hyriding the Rip Control with PHT in the mains... compared to my normal set up of PHT and VS Gut on the crosses.

ManuGinobili... how do you think it will compare to my PHT/Gut combo ?

spectrablue
03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
It is a soft string but feels dead. It is a low powered string. The string also moves a lot on a 18X20 Head Speed MP. I cut it out after one hitting session.

mrmo1115
03-31-2010, 12:27 PM
^ You went full bed of Rip Control?

I wonder how it will feel for me since I put it on the crosses.. PHT on the mains

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
awful string...don't go near it

mrmo1115
03-31-2010, 12:35 PM
^ Will see how it works out tonight =X

William Bedford
03-31-2010, 01:33 PM
I use the 17 gauge string and love it. Very soft, very low powered, good access to spin, great feel and control. Good string for players suffering from TE. I use it in both a BLX90 and the KPS88. The biggest problem I have is that I can't find anyone in the USA that sells the string in a reel.

Coloskier. I also use RIP Control 17.

I buy reels of it from racketguy. (but buy all my frames and shoes from Tenniswarehouse :) )

JT_2eighty
03-31-2010, 01:41 PM
awful string...don't go near it

Like the other guy said, it's either you love it or hate it.

I've only tried Head's Intellitour (which also uses the "RIP" technology) and found it to be very comfy yet with high control. Most strings that are soft are powerful, or those that are stiff are great for control. This one is low power, yet soft.

This is the only one that seems to be both soft with high control. It is unique for sure, only way to know if you like it is to try because you will either get rave reviews or big thumbs down. From the feedback I usually see on this one, poly users hate it because it's too soft, it tends to be the multi/gut crowd that like it because I found it to be soft like gut without the power of gut, which can be good for some, and bad for others.

mikeler
03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Anybody here with a low powered players frame using it?

mrmo1115
04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Tried it on my Prestige didn't like it. So I guess that helped.

ez90ing
04-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi, i tried this on my Extreme 09.

MSV Hex mains and Rip Control crosses. THis thing plays well when you are a hard hitter and gives lotsa spin.

THe only issue i have is that it feels like a block when you volley or serve. Am i putting the tension too high? 55/57. Recommended is 55+/-

mrmo1115
04-09-2010, 08:00 PM
^ I string my hybrids at 55/57 as well