PDA

View Full Version : What impact can strings have on a kick serve?

CrispyFritters
03-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I've often wondered if how different types of string might impact your kick-serve. What do you think would happen in the following scenarios?

Assuming you use the same racquet, swing with the same speed, and use the same technique in all scenarios.

Base example:
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 - kick serve bounces 5 feet high, moderate spin

Scenario 1: What would be the results with 18 gauge Gosen?
Scenario 2: What would be the results with value poly like SPPP?
Scenario 3: What would be the results with premium poly like Luxilon ALU Power?
Scenario 4: What would be the results with a textured string like MSV Focus Hex?

What do you think would happen?

pvaudio
03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Hitting a proper kick serve is about technique more so than equipment. However, using a textured string will give you more kick than normal. No one can make those comparisons since it depends on whether or not you can even hit a kick serve in the first place.

kiteboard
03-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Most kick with hex.

Tennis_Crazed
03-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Also need to look at how long you're going to be playing with the strings, tensions, etc. PersonallyI think Lux off the bat is better than any of these strings. True it does lose tension after a while, but so does allof these othe strings. AGree technique outweighs the impact from equipment 100 fold

Cfidave
03-30-2010, 04:33 AM
I would say slight. It is all about technique. I know guys who can hit amazing kick serves with $2 nylon strings. I think some of the twisted polys like Tornado help add some spin, but are no substitiute for proper form.

HitItHarder
03-30-2010, 08:08 AM
I've often wondered if how different types of string might impact your kick-serve. What do you think would happen in the following scenarios?

Assuming you use the same racquet, swing with the same speed, and use the same technique in all scenarios.

Base example:
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 - kick serve bounces 5 feet high, moderate spin

Scenario 1: What would be the results with 18 gauge Gosen?
Scenario 2: What would be the results with value poly like SPPP?
Scenario 3: What would be the results with premium poly like Luxilon ALU Power?
Scenario 4: What would be the results with a textured string like MSV Focus Hex?
What do you think would happen?

I have used all four of these and hit kick serves a good bit.

Of the four, MSV Hex 1.10 gave me the most kick. It is very thin and has a sharp profile to help catch the edge of the ball.

However, if all four string sets are fresh the spin/kick results are all going to be pretty close since racquet head speed and technique are 95% of the kick serve.