PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's Slice

luke715
03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Is it me, or has Roddick's slice looked nasty lately? It seems like it has a ton of action on it and stays very low...anyone else notice this?

Li Ching Yuen
03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Yep, he's improved all of his backhand shots very much in the last year.

This will show at Wimbledon, looking forward.

MarrratSafin
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Is it me, or has Roddick's slice looked nasty lately? It seems like it has a ton of action on it and stays very low...anyone else notice this?

Lately? Roddick's slice has been one of the most consistent shots on the tour for many years IMO. If you follow his matches, he makes about 99 out of 100 slice shots with excellent depth control most of the time.

decades
03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
yes it looks fantastic against lower ranked players. it looks like a sitting duck against his top ten peers.

NamRanger
03-30-2010, 02:28 PM
yes it looks fantastic against lower ranked players. it looks like a sitting duck against his top ten peers.

Because he uses it too much.

Djokovicfan4life
03-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Roddick's slice is fine by itself, but he doesn't use it the same way someone like Federer does. Federer uses it to hit an inside out winner off the weak return, Roddick uses it more just to stay in the point.

Anaconda
03-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Roddick's slice is annoying. Sometimes, when he's in a great position to run around to belt a forehand mid court he'll slice and approach and just get passed.

Don't get me wrong, hecould play passive even when he was at his best. US open 2003 with Nalbandian is a prime example; Roddick playing his rookie game in the 1st 3 sets.

vandre
03-31-2010, 12:09 PM

this. 10 char

dcdoorknob
03-31-2010, 01:35 PM
I don't really think he uses it to much. Let's be honest, Roddick's regular 2 handed backhand has improved but it never was or will be a strength of his. To me his slice is at least as effective as his 2 hander as a rally shot, and he's better off using a good mix of both for variety than hitting either all the time imo.

Also don't really agree that he's had a slice of this quality for many years. His slice has clearly improved over the past few years. He may have always used the slice somewhat, but its noticeably better now than it used to be.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
03-31-2010, 03:24 PM
he uses it a lot i feel like i see more BH slices then his actual BH

samprasvsfederer123
03-31-2010, 03:52 PM
looked like a sitting duck against becker, whatever its working good, i hope he wins miami and reaches top 5 again, if i were him i would have quit already he is a hella of fighter

pjonesy
04-03-2010, 09:35 AM

I don't necessarily think he uses it too much, he just seems to use it randomly. Sometimes he will bust it out when it makes no sense or is absolutely the wrong shot to use.

clayman2000
04-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Firstly let me say that I like the slice, when its used correctly.

I find no coincidence that Roddick wins a big match, mainly hitting over the BH, spotting in the slice. The slice is not a shot you use over and over again like Roddick has done in the past because it because way too predictable. To be successfull with the slice, the BH must be working

kishnabe
04-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Whenever...Roddick plays Federer...and roddick uses the slice. It really ****es the hell out of me...

pjonesy
04-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Firstly let me say that I like the slice, when its used correctly.

I find no coincidence that Roddick wins a big match, mainly hitting over the BH, spotting in the slice. The slice is not a shot you use over and over again like Roddick has done in the past because it because way too predictable. To be successfull with the slice, the BH must be working

Good post! I agree that when he hits the slice over and over, it just puts him behind the 8 ball. Roddick is capable of hitting winners from any part of the court, but I really do not think it is in his best interest to be stretched side to side all day because he went to the well too much with the slice and got behind in the rally. When Roddick is forced to hit desperate shots on the run, he is out of his comfort zone. Roddick is not a counterpuncher, he is an aggressive power player. You are correct in saying that Roddick must hit his 2HBH with solid consistency whether flat or using topspin. The slice is to be used defensively to get back into a point or to give you time to get back into position. It can also be used as a change of pace, but not as a consistent rally shot.

DownTheLine
04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
He has a great slice, but he needs to start doing it on half of his backhands. I've also noticed once he starts slicing in a backhand rally it seems like he keeps on doing it till the point is over or the ball goes to his forehand.

swordtennis
04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
When Roddick bends those legs and gets down low to hit his shots he is top five material. This has made his slice much more penetration and depth. Just pay attention to this. You know he is tired, stiff and lacking confidence when he does not dig those shots out deep. One of the best in the game. THOF is coming for the American.

Baselineg
04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
His slice is nasty, he hit one against berdych and it was the first time i heard a crowd WOOO a slice, he stayed low swung to contact and carved the sh*t out of it.

alienhamster
04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
His slice has always been underrated, IMO, and it's definitely getting better. He used to hit the slice more consistently with air under it--the "floater" type--and this was less effective against the very top players. But now he has both the floater and the biting shots; such variety keeps the slice less predictable and much harder to be offensive against.

He's deploying it so much more strategically these past couple of years. Against Nadal, he wasn't using it nearly as much as he was against Berdych. Berdych is one of those players that feeds off of pace, but he struggles (esp. on the forehand side) when he has to create his own pace. So the deep floater to the middle or forehand side of the court is actually an *excellent* shot against him. Nadal, in contrast, just munches on most slice shots, esp. the floaters. (As does Federer, who may be the best low ball hitter in history.) It's absolutely to Andy's advantage to have all sorts of backhands in his arsenal since no one of these strokes is a money shot for him.

And yes, in the Miami final he had one biting slice that went down the line, with side-spin, that barely bounced off the court at all. Extremely nasty.