PDA

View Full Version : cutting out the poly

Larrysümmers
03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
My elbow has been mildly hurting. So I'm gunna not use poly anymore. What strings are cheap and spin friendly for a western grip player.

Kenny022593
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
You use Polyon Ice at 40 or so right? Why not hybrid?

Larrysümmers
03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
What would be a good hybrid you think? Have you tried it with forten? Ive been thinking of trying forten because of costs. And I'm 16 with no job so yeah....
By the way: my arm started hurting when I used lux adreniline at 45. My coach gave me a pack. Hit with it and when I got home I could feel it.

mutantducky
03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
i had arm problems from polys and don't bother with hybrids or going lower tensions. you simply have to drop them all together for a few months at least.
Head Rip Control low 50's and the intelli series is a good bet. gosen 16 was fine for me but really whatever multi and syn guts you like

Hi I'm Ray
03-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I personally would at least play through 1 set of multi's first to afford the elbow some time to recover before attempting a poly hybrid.

NRG2 has the best feel + playability of any string I've used (haven't tried gut yet) and it doesn't move around much so it lasts longer than I first expected.

Larrysümmers
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the input so far.
Right now I only have one pack of prince synthetic duraflex 16. I'm going to give that a whirl at 50lbs.

mambochino
03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
it is possible that one of the technique is causing the elbow injury. instead of dropping the poly, try to find out which stroke is causing the injury. you can usually do that by hiring a pro locally.

Larrysümmers
03-30-2010, 04:02 PM
it is possible that one of the technique is causing the elbow injury. instead of dropping the poly, try to find out which stroke is causing the injury. you can usually do that by hiring a pro locally.

I live 60 miles from the closet pro.
And ive been doing the samething for a few months. Just when I tried that Luxilon my elbow started to hurt.

charliefedererer
03-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Do you string your own racquets? If not, consider buying just an inexpensive klippermate stringer and doing your own hybrid with gut. You don't have to use expensive Babolat VS; Klip Armour Pro is a good compromise. The cost of string from TW is a fraction of what you would pay to have it strung. Throw in some Tourna Cross string savers and your hybrid will last until the poly dies (otherwise the poly cuts into the gut.) Gut will last longer than any synthetic gut or multifilament in your hybrid. And Hi I'm Ray is giving you some good advise of playing with a full bed of multifilament or gut until that tennis elbow is entirely healed.

And do yourself a favor and get a Theraband Flexbar Green or Blue and do the Tyler Twist: http://info.thera-bandacademy.com/flexbarelbow
Plenty in the Health and Fitness section ot TT swear by it.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=311129
Also do dumbell wrist curls, reverse curls and pronation/supination exercises to build up the forearm muscles to prevent a recurrence of tennis elbow.

Larrysümmers
03-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Do you string your own racquets? If not, consider buying just an inexpensive klippermate stringer and doing your own hybrid with gut. You don't have to use expensive Babolat VS; Klip Armour Pro is a good compromise. The cost of string from TW is a fraction of what you would pay to have it strung. Throw in some Tourna Cross string savers and your hybrid will last until the poly dies (otherwise the poly cuts into the gut.) Gut will last longer than any synthetic gut or multifilament in your hybrid. And Hi I'm Ray is giving you some good advise of playing with a full bed of multifilament or gut until that tennis elbow is entirely healed.

And do yourself a favor and get a Theraband Flexbar Green or Blue and do the Tyler Twist: http://info.thera-bandacademy.com/flexbarelbow
Plenty in the Health and Fitness section ot TT swear by it.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=311129
Also do dumbell wrist curls, reverse curls and pronation/supination exercises to build up the forearm muscles to prevent a recurrence of tennis elbow.
Yes I do string via klippermate.
I forgot all about natty. I do have two packs left that I forgot all about. I will try that with poly crosses. Maybe 48 and 46 lbs?
thanks for your time too :)

mambochino
03-31-2010, 12:43 PM
hi larry,

luxilon is a pretty stiff poly. since you have your own stringer, try something like gosen polylon SP17 along with other recommendations here. it is a softer poly and a good virbation dampener. i hope this help.

JT_2eighty
03-31-2010, 12:46 PM
I've yet to use a softer string than Head Intellitour. Put the RIP Feel in the mains, and you will get solid control yet a super soft feel. Even softer in feel than gut, with better control. It will lack the power and spin of gut or polys, but it's like hitting the ball with a pillow in your racquet. Truly unique.

mikeler
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
I personally would at least play through 1 set of multi's first to afford the elbow some time to recover before attempting a poly hybrid.

NRG2 has the best feel + playability of any string I've used (haven't tried gut yet) and it doesn't move around much so it lasts longer than I first expected.

Maxim Touch is a nice multi. In a reel a full job comes out to less than $6/racket. Very easy to string too because it is so soft.

Ripper014
03-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Maxim Touch is a nice multi. In a reel a full job comes out to less than $6/racket. Very easy to string too because it is so soft.

I like the Maxim Touch too... and I would suggest you try a hybrid setup. Just don't use the poly in the mains. My current setup is a hybrid mix with a mulit in the mains and a co-poly in the crosses. It is a much more comfortable setup than the reverse... of co-poly mains and multi crosses.

Larrysümmers
03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Today I played with a natural/polyon ice combo at 48

I must say that I have more topspin, a little more power (I think) slices wernt as good. But my serves were really nice. I beat my coach today 6-3 5-7 1-0 (10-4) and he said that my kickers were really heavy and I aced him a few times on kickers that were hitting halfway up the fence. And I have never been able to do that before.
So far so good. I've been at home for about an hour and no pain so far. :)