PDA

View Full Version : The future of tennis: Roval??

dAgEnIuS
05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Check out this page, http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/roval.htm

Some crazy guy came up with a new court design, called Roval, supposely to fix the 'problems' in modern tennis...
He says that the lack of rallies due to power tennis should not be blamed on the new technology raquets, but the old fashioned court...
Anyways, it is a pretty cool idea, and he even comes up with a new scoring system for the futuristic tennis court...
Enjoy the reading...

DashaandSafin
05-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Sorry but that is ********.

goober
05-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Well that was a waste of 5 minutes. Tennis courts are not going to a oval shape any time sooner than a football field or basketball court is going oval.

The whole concept of making a smaller court that is oval so you can't go for winners in the corner is silly. There would be basically a lot of shots down the middle because that would be the safest part of the court to hit it. How boring would that be? Highly angled would become risky because the side lines are curving in.

The "soval" is out after the serve would mean no drop shots unless you could put them on the sides.

The game would become incredibly boring to watch if you ask me not more interesting.

dAgEnIuS
05-07-2005, 11:34 AM
hey, don't attack me about the idea... i didn't come up with it, nor i'm saying that tennis court should be changed...
I just thought people would be interested in reading some new ideas since there are SOOOO much complaints about new racquet technoloy ruining the game...
sheesh, too much hate in this forum....

goober
05-07-2005, 11:40 AM
no hate :D

It's still a silly idea. Nothing wrong about thinking about the future of tennis, but I can safely say that I am never going to have to play on an oval tennis court in my life time.

What I would like to see one day is widespread use of courts with reliable electronic line calling systems so I stopped getting hooked on calls :)

pianeon
05-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I'd give it a shot.

Thomas
05-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Would it stop moonballing? :p

polakosaur
05-09-2005, 07:31 AM
thats the kind of sh*t you come up with when you smoke weed, crazy dude needs rehab

splink779
05-09-2005, 07:38 AM
tennis has been heading for the better as far as I'm concerned

Camilio Pascual
05-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Paging Markus Kaila!
Paging Markus Kaila!

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-09-2005, 07:53 AM
have to agree, that is ********.

I think it would be extremely boring to watch ... and as the guy said the tactic would be drop shot - lob. I'd much rather see good solid winners than lobs that are winners.

AND the stupid soval just means players will monnball all day.

Craig Sheppard
05-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Dammit I want the last 5 minutes of my life back after reading that.

mikemasonx
05-09-2005, 08:08 AM
not a good idea at all.

Markus Kaila
05-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Check out this page, http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/roval.htm

Some crazy guy came up with a new court design, called Roval, supposely to fix the 'problems' in modern tennis...
He says that the lack of rallies due to power tennis should not be blamed on the new technology raquets, but the old fashioned court...
Anyways, it is a pretty cool idea, and he even comes up with a new scoring system for the futuristic tennis court...
Enjoy the reading...

That guy really has imagination much more than I have.... I am envious, but anyhow his proposal is symptomatic as to the problems of the present tennis. I would like to favour this more because it is much simplier and even simplier than the court of today!
http://www.helsinki.fi/~jpheikki/3malli/

dugko
05-07-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm the 'crazy' guy that invented the rounded court...and most of you people are just nasty who never had an original thought in your life. You think it's easy to come up with a solution or an innovation? You try it. By the way, this was PUBLISHED in Tennis Week, a whole page! Nick Bollettieri...ever hear of him...said TENNIS NEEDS INNOVATION after I sent him my new design. His other comment was my court would require a new strategy. You know, you guys are right - with people in the world like yourselves, my innovation will never see the light of day. So continue to play on your precious, HUGE, squared, 18th Century court.
There WOULD be drop shots into areas 9 feet wide on the left and on the right. MOONBALLING? How about TOPSPIN...that's what my court will teach you to play. It has been lost to Americans who have no clue how to play on clay. Young tennis players just bang away from the baseline - that's what the old court & new racquets have produced - a generation of players who do not 'construct' a point; they have become poor volleyers...they just BANG away...that's not tennis...yet that has been what the sport has mutated to. What happened to control, touch and finesse? My court would be an excellent training court because going from it to the normal court...that old court would seem HUGE. My court would produce 'control' players and players will be forced to LEARN TOPSPIN.
I also sincerely believe ROVAL is a court where women could challenge the men! Power is factored out. And with my new scoring method, favoring the one losing, women would occasionally win! The world would love to see that.
I want to thank the poster and the one guy that said they'd try it! There is some hope for the future!

VGP
05-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Try and set up an exo with Federer and Nadal.....that's not as far out there as the "battle of the surfaces" court.....

BluDiamond
05-07-2007, 08:51 AM
well....that guy's a nutter

Fries-N-Gravy
05-07-2007, 09:03 AM
in the future, all tennis players are zombies mindlessly pounding their topspin moonballs back and forth, counterpunching each other until eternity.

Sounds great now we can get those 5000 hit rallies that are so exciting to watch. maybe the net should be 10ft high too.

no more shot variety, everyone hits the exact same western grip lob.

Andres
05-07-2007, 09:05 AM
I would play Roval! :D

vive le beau jeu !
05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
I would play Roval! :D
yeah, i would try it for fun too ! ;)

but please... don't tell about this to mr. mickey de villiers ! :roll:

Shura
05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Roval for the win! lol :mrgreen:

sureshs
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Why not just bring back wood racquets instead of a new court design?

unjugon
05-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I quite liked the idea until I read the proposed scoring system.

That just sucks too much, no need to explain really. I hope...

Court is cool though, I could see an expo being played there no prob

Kobble
05-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I would play it, but it would not replace the old court for me.

NamRanger
05-07-2007, 02:15 PM
It would force players to come to the net to finish off a point, rather then watching see who can rip the winner first from the baseline.

jmverdugo
05-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I think it is not a bad idea but it should not be promoted as the future of tennis but as another sport, just as there are some all closed courts to play something almost identically to tennis but the ball does not go out, just bounce to the walls and back in... as somebody else said .. ill give it a try just for fun

edmondsm
05-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm the 'crazy' guy that invented the rounded court...and most of you people are just nasty who never had an original thought in your life. You think it's easy to come up with a solution or an innovation? You try it. By the way, this was PUBLISHED in Tennis Week, a whole page! Nick Bollettieri...ever hear of him...said TENNIS NEEDS INNOVATION after I sent him my new design. His other comment was my court would require a new strategy. You know, you guys are right - with people in the world like yourselves, my innovation will never see the light of day. So continue to play on your precious, HUGE, squared, 18th Century court.
There WOULD be drop shots into areas 9 feet wide on the left and on the right. MOONBALLING? How about TOPSPIN...that's what my court will teach you to play. It has been lost to Americans who have no clue how to play on clay. Young tennis players just bang away from the baseline - that's what the old court & new racquets have produced - a generation of players who do not 'construct' a point; they have become poor volleyers...they just BANG away...that's not tennis...yet that has been what the sport has mutated to. What happened to control, touch and finesse? My court would be an excellent training court because going from it to the normal court...that old court would seem HUGE. My court would produce 'control' players and players will be forced to LEARN TOPSPIN.
I also sincerely believe ROVAL is a court where women could challenge the men! Power is factored out. And with my new scoring method, favoring the one losing, women would occasionally win! The world would love to see that.
I want to thank the poster and the one guy that said they'd try it! There is some hope for the future!

I would try it too....doesn't mean it's a good idea. The only way "Roval" is legitimate is if it developes as it's own separate sport. There is no way the tour could convert to it, nor could every public facility in the world. If 50 years from now "Roval" overtakes tennis in popularity than so be it. For now it sounds like something straight out of 5th grade gym class.

iplaybetter
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Looks like a bit of fun for 5 mins then it looks like it would become stupid.

randomname
05-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm the 'crazy' guy that invented the rounded court...and most of you people are just nasty who never had an original thought in your life. You think it's easy to come up with a solution or an innovation? You try it.

yes, it is very difficult to come up with innovation that actually works, and you failed miserably at it. everyone else here thinks there either isnt a problem or know not to publish some crazy idea they had on the internet, and just because you tried doesnt mean you should be applauded for it if your going to put your ideas on the internet then you should be prepared for criticism (especially when it sucks as much as your idea does) so you really have no room to be going ballistic

callitout
05-07-2007, 05:49 PM
This is certainly a fascinating idea, and it looks like a fun game. But I've never been too convinced by the tennis is too powerful points are too short argument. Because you equally often hear about the senseless baseline bashing. Watch Djokovic, Murray, Gasquet, Monfils, Almagro, Ferrer...young guns do you see points ending in a shot or two because of their awesome strokes. Not really. The best of the lot is Nadal and really unifies these guys is incredible movement, more than insane power. This is a bit of a solution without a problem IMO.
Roval looks like a fun game, but I dont buy the premise that mens tennis has no rallies on hardcourts and is all power. I think mens tennis is largely about sick movement which has neutralized the tremendous power.

Mikael
05-10-2007, 03:40 PM

If you make it a sport where women can beat men then by definition that means you take athleticism out of the equation... It gets closer to a "game" than to a "sport". Not good in my opinion! Athleticism is part of what I like in tennis these days. You need power, sure, but also a lot of speed. By diminishing the angles you make it less important to be fast. Top players wouldn't have to be good athletes anymore.