PDA

View Full Version : Mirza to marry cricketer on Apr 15

Sentinel
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Yes, she's marrying Pakistani cricketer Shaoib Malik on Apr 15th. Known him for seven years, she says.

She will continue to play for India and represent India in the 2012 Olympics.

fireice
03-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Who?...........

nikdom
03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
She has big b0obs for a tennis player.

Fee
03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Where did the date come from? I've only seen the engagement stories and confirmation from a fake twitter profile for him. Mahesh hasn't confirmed it on his twitter yet, which makes me wonder.

She broke off her previous engagement to the other guy in January.

Feña14
03-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Where did the date come from? I've only seen the engagement stories and confirmation from a fake twitter profile for him. Mahesh hasn't confirmed it on his twitter yet, which makes me wonder.

She's certainly a fast mover! :)

Shoaib Malik is banned from playing for Pakistan for a year so the timing is good from his point of view.

bezs
03-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Apparently they only met in January. That's fast.

nn
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM

only assets sale up to one point.

she has no results to show for sometime. just riding on that one thing and one title by fluke..

I mean so many WTP players has better records and still not as famous as her..just overrated big time

Sentinel
03-30-2010, 10:53 PM

haha, lol, nice comment about Mahesh not confirming it.

> Where did the date come from?

Its on the front page of my newspaper. Saw it while having breakfast. Maybe they set an early date so she doesn't change her mind.

Not to sound gossipy, but she said she knew the earlier chap for five years, now she knows Shoaib for seven. How possibly can a girl who is playing professional tennis and practicing hard in India, know a guy in Pakistan for seven years.

If she spent a lot of time with Bhupathi, thats understandable, since they play together, same sport, same country, doubles partner, but this chap just doesn't fit in anywhere.

I suspect the parents are trying to get her married off fast, and don't want Mahesh messing her life. Something's off.

Sentinel
03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the insightful analysis, nikdom.

Sentinel
03-31-2010, 02:04 AM
http://www.ndtv.com/news/sports/sania-shoaib-wedding-in-hyderabad-reception-in-lahore-18765.php
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:3BRtC_oIESVbMM:http://sportsupdate.indiainfo.com/cricket/profile/images/pak/shoaib_malik.jpg

On Tuesday night, Sania Mirza appeared before the media and officially announced the date of her marriage - April 11. The reception will be held on April 15. (In pics: Sania, Shoaib getting married in April) (http://www.ndtv.com/news/photos/album-details.php?id=7136&Album=PHOTO_GALLERY&AlbumTitle=Sania%2C+Shoaib+set+for+mixed+doubles)

Sania said she and Shoaib will settle in Dubai after marriage. Sania revealed that she met Shoaib for the first time 6-7 years ago. (Read: In Mumbai, a woman asks: How could she?) (http://www.ndtv.com/news/sports/sanias-news-is-shocking-1-18740.php)

More (Ayesha is Shoaib's previous wife) ...

When asked about Ayesha's reaction to Shoaib tying the knot, Farisa said, "My daughter and husband are not at home and will return later today. There is too much happening for me to comprehend."

The family had pressed the player to give a formal divorce in February 2008, after Shoaib claimed that there was no 'nikah' between Ayesha and him.

According to Ayesha's mother, she attended Sania's engagement last July and was invited by Sohrab's family, "I'm not associated with the Mirzas (Sania's family) in anyway." Farisa was not just upset, but also angry about the Sania-Shoaib alliance. "I can't believe this girl (Sania). She has seen what happened to my daughter, it was all over the news. Despite this she got involved with this man (Shoaib). It's sad that she's getting married to him; it's strange," she said, adding that she would have a word with Sohrab's family to find out why the engagement with Sania was called off.

What went wrong with Ayesha...

Shoaib Malik allegedly got married to Ayesha Siddiqui through a telephone 'nikah' on June 3, 2002. But in a statement in Karachi on January 21, 2008 Shoaib claimed that no nikah took place. The cricketer said his marriage plans with the Hyderabadi girl ended because both families could not reach an understanding on certain issues. "Yes I had a long relationship with her and we planned to get married. But no nikah ever took place and in the end our families could not reach an understanding on various things," Malik had said. Ayesha's father M A Siddiqui had then said that the family would move the court if his daughter did not get divorce. Pakistani players were even feted to a grand reception by the Siddiqui family in Hyderabad when the team toured India in 2005.

Sentinel
03-31-2010, 02:06 AM
http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/NEWS/saniamalik/1.jpg

viduka0101
03-31-2010, 02:36 AM
oh happy day

valiant
03-31-2010, 03:05 AM
They are gonna settle in Dubai.

pound cat
03-31-2010, 03:37 AM
He sounds like a winner.

"Malik, 28, has been fighting a 12-month ban by the Pakistan Cricket Board for poor performance and indiscipline."

eurosport.co.uk

Sentinel
03-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Parents, is this the best you could find for your daughter ???

He sounds like a winner.

"Malik, 28, has been fighting a 12-month ban by the Pakistan Cricket Board for poor performance and indiscipline."

eurosport.co.uk
If he's hoping for a disciplined wife, he can keep locked up in the broom closet, he's in for a shock.

I am reminded of Imran Khan's marriage to Jemima, she finally left since the culture was too different. I wonder how Sania will put up with it since she's grown up in a free country (democrazy, as GR would put it).
Even if they live in Dubai, i can hardly imagine the guys parents putting up with Sania's mixed doubles.

C'mon Sania, they won't let you out of the kitchen.

fed_rulz
03-31-2010, 06:00 AM
only assets sale up to one point.

she has no results to show for sometime. just riding on that one thing and one title by fluke..

I mean so many WTP players has better records and still not as famous as her..just overrated big time

exactly my thoughts.. agree 100%

sureshs
03-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Wow both the girl and the boy seem to be "players" if you know what I mean.

decades
03-31-2010, 07:44 AM
could this not ignite more India Pakistan border clashes, if not all out war?

SempreSami
03-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Parents, is this the best you could find for your daughter ???

If he's hoping for a disciplined wife, he can keep locked up in the broom closet, he's in for a shock.

I am reminded of Imran Khan's marriage to Jemima, she finally left since the culture was too different. I wonder how Sania will put up with it since she's grown up in a free country (democrazy, as GR would put it).
Even if they live in Dubai, i can hardly imagine the guys parents putting up with Sania's mixed doubles.

C'mon Sania, they won't let you out of the kitchen.

Don't draw parallels between a champion like Imran Khan and Malik, he's apparently the disruptive influence in the Pakistan team that's led to two their best players being banned indefinitely.

Annika
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Take a good look at Mirza because she may have to cover her face.

sureshs
03-31-2010, 12:45 PM

That is why Sania's parents are emphatic that she live in Dubai. It is quite different from other Middle Eastern places. Worst case the marriage doesn't work out (maybe due to the baggage of previous wife which the guy seems to have) and Sania will be back in Hyderabad. The crucial thing for her is to make sure Pakistan sharia law has no grip on her. If they order him and her to be deported from Dubai to Pakistan, they will be at the mercy of the Dubai government and politics.

Sentinel
03-31-2010, 06:57 PM
could this not ignite more India Pakistan border clashes, if not all out war?

Oh, I totally missed that possibility. Yes, war looms large on our peaceful nations thanks to a possibly incompatible matrimonial alliance between 2 sporting families.

Don't draw parallels between a champion like Imran Khan and Malik, he's apparently the disruptive influence in the Pakistan team that's led to two their best players being banned indefinitely.
I am only recounting the issues Jemima had with the Pakistani repressive culture.

We may have to see Sania playing covered head to toe (although I know nothing about Dubai sportswomen. And certainly no more partnering with Shahar Peer if she's residing in Dubai).

bonga77
04-01-2010, 09:21 AM
That is why Sania's parents are emphatic that she live in Dubai. It is quite different from other Middle Eastern places. Worst case the marriage doesn't work out (maybe due to the baggage of previous wife which the guy seems to have) and Sania will be back in Hyderabad. The crucial thing for her is to make sure Pakistan sharia law has no grip on her. If they order him and her to be deported from Dubai to Pakistan, they will be at the mercy of the Dubai government and politics.
lol. what are you a ******?

ksbh
04-01-2010, 09:52 AM
With the exception of religious fanatics, most people in Pakistan are genuinely nice & warm. Good choice to go with someone from that country but someone who is already married but not clear if he's divorced? Sania may have big bodily assets as someone in this thread claimed, but she is a misled fool.

sureshs
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
With the exception of religious fanatics, most people in Pakistan are genuinely nice & warm. Good choice to go with someone from that country but someone who is already married but not clear if he's divorced? Sania may have big bodily assets as someone in this thread claimed, but she is a misled fool.

I have to agree. While it is easy to say they know each other best, her antics of backing out of her previous engagement and suddenly rediscovering her love for the new guy who is apparently married all point to some confusion in her head. But you have to take it in context - she did what no Indian woman had done before - win a Mixed Slam, and also make it into the top 30 in singles. She was truly a pathbreaker. In addition, she was constantly under fire from religious groups who denounced her and litigated against her. It is too much for someone who was just a "girl" when all these things were going on. She lives surrounded by security personnel. I am not surprised she has issues in her personal life. Hopefully it will all work out.

ksbh
04-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Great post, talaiva! Makes sense seeing it from your perspective.

I have to agree. While it is easy to say they know each other best, her antics of backing out of her previous engagement and suddenly rediscovering her love for the new guy who is apparently married all point to some confusion in her head. But you have to take it in context - she did what no Indian woman had done before - win a Mixed Slam, and also make it into the top 30 in singles. She was truly a pathbreaker. In addition, she was constantly under fire from religious groups who denounced her and litigated against her. It is too much for someone who was just a "girl" when all these things were going on. She lives surrounded by security personnel. I am not surprised she has issues in her personal life. Hopefully it will all work out.

Sentinel
04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
While i totally agree with you about the people of Pakistan being warm and friendly -- here we are talking about marriage, and the customs and mindset around marriage - a lot of which is seen even in India (as you know).

I just hope she's not being forced into some alliance by her parents and putting up this story of knowing him for seven years. Okay, she may have met him 6 years back, but has she known him all along.

If so, then she was close to both Sohrab *and* Shoaib at the same time ???? She has been close friends with sohrab for last five years and Shoaib for last 6-7.

Not adding up.

ksbh
04-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Herr Sentinel ... is she by any chance a fan of El'Dick Woods?!

BTW, please note my signature :)

If so, then she was close to both Sohrab *and* Shoaib at the same time ???? She has been close friends with sohrab for last five years and Shoaib for last 6-7.

Not adding up.

Sentinel
04-02-2010, 05:29 AM
Yes, I was shocked to find myself reinstated. I guess this Universe is forgiving, after all. :-D

Sentinel
04-02-2010, 08:28 AM
April 1st 2010

Can an old tennis dog learn some new tricks? Pakistan's celebrity coach Mahboob Khan thinks so, which is why he agreed in April to coach Sania Mirza and help her get back into the winner's circle on the sport's biggest stages.

"I think you can change," Khan said of Mirza, who at 26 has reached tennis middle age. "You just need someone to put you on track."

Source (http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/message-board_was-it-fair-of-sania-mirza-s-prospective-in-laws-to-ask-her-to-give-up-tennis-after-marriage-and-focus-on-her-husband_1340570).

newmark401
04-02-2010, 02:16 PM
["]Sania Mirza’s engagement with Sohrab Mirza has allegedly been called off because her in-laws wanted her to give up tennis after marriage and focus on her husband and spend time with him.

Sania’s family friend says, “Sohrab’s father [Adil Mirza] wanted a normal marriage for his son where the bride would spend a lot of time with her husband. But Sania’s tennis tournaments keep her away from India for 8-9 months on an average every year. So when she heard of Adil’s wish, Sania agreed to give up tennis. This was not acceptable to Sania’s father, however, and the engagement was called off.”["]

Note how restrictive a "normal" marriage can be for the woman involved.

Sentinel
04-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Just an update. All seems fine.

KARACHI: Annoyed by the hype over his marriage with Indian tennis star Sania Mirza, Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik has appealed to the media to practice some restrain.

Malik said due to the continuous attention, he and Sania can not live like a normal couple.

"I am pleased to know that people are happy with our marriage but I think now it is time to stop this hype and let us live like a normal couple. I would request the media to leave alone both the families," Shoaib said when he and Sania appeared together for the first time on a Pakistani channel last night.

"Two people from different countries got married and it should only be treated as a marriage nothing more," Malik told 'Ary News'.

Malik said he was happy at the celebrations in Pakistan but he was now tired of playing bodyguard to his wife.

"I would ask the media to reduce the hype let our families enjoy this occasion as any family would celebrate a marriage. Because of all this hype I couldn't even meet with my friends and relatives properly at the reception in Sialkot, it was a mad rush," he said.

Malik, who is presently serving a 12-month ban by the Pakistan Cricket Board, was also disappointed by the negative stories about them.

"I can only laugh at stories in the media that invitation cards for our wedding reception were sold. This thing about our wedding cards being sold it is laughable. Please don't turn wedding cards into credit cards," Malik said.

Sania Mirza said she was surprised by the hype in the media over their marriage.

"It is not like ours is a great big love story. Strangely we were introduced by a common friend from the media then I met him in Hobart and our families also met and we decided to get married," she said.

There are reports after unruly scenes at the reception in Sialkot on Sunday night, Sania's father Imran is personally supervising all security arrangements for the Valima reception in Lahore.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/et-cetera/Please-reduce-hype-over-our-marriage-Shoaib-to-Pak-media/articleshow/5862688.cms