PDA

View Full Version : Venus vs. Marion Bartoli

dirtballer
03-31-2010, 05:08 AM
Do you think Marion Bartoli has any shot against Venus? I thought Venus looked pretty strong yesterday. Marion is playing pretty well this year. She could be in a little better shape but that's an old issue. I think her first serve has improved over last year. I remember she beat Venus last summer but was that just a fluke or does Venus really have trouble figuring out her game?

DRII
03-31-2010, 05:17 AM
Bartolli can cause trouble for Venus. If she hits, hard and deep, down the middle of the court and wait for an error or opportunity - Bartolli has a chance.

Venus was explosive and powerful in her last match, but she is still a little off balance and not quite connecting on every shot or serve.

Ultimately, as in every match Venus plays, it is up to her. If shes playing well, I feel she is unbeatable. No other player can match her explosiveness!

Also, Bartolli's serve seems a little vulnerable. I LOL(ed) a couple of times watching the little bit of her match that i did see. Her second serve actually seemed better placed than her first.

rossi46
03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
It all depends on how much chocolate or cake Marion can eat before the match.

davey25
03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Ultimately, as in every match Venus plays, it is up to her. If shes playing well, I feel she is unbeatable.

Even on clay? Or what is your definition of her playing well on clay especialy vs a quality clay courter.

davey25
03-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Anyway I dont think Bartoli can do much other than hope Venus loses the match. She doesnt have the weapons to hurt Venus like Serena, Henin, Clijsters, and a select few other players do. So I think unless Venus has an off day with alot of errors she will win. I am already excited about a final between her and one of the Belgians. She looked better than both today, but worse than both last round, so it will be interesting to compare form in the semis.

Paul Murphy
03-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Bartoli's movement is an issue - if Venus is accurate with her groundies she can push Bartoli out of position and draw the error or easy put-away.

anointedone
03-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Bartoli is a poor womens Seles. She plays essentialy the exact same game as Seles, but does everything more poorly. She even outdoes Seles in being grossly overweight and moving poorly largely as a result (combined with mediocre natural athleticism and speed) where she is even beyond Seles in her weakness there. And Venus was something like 10-1 even vs Seles.

Bartoli did beat Venus a couple summers ago I think. Still Venus would have to play poorly to lose this one.

DRII
04-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Even on clay? Or what is your definition of her playing well on clay especialy vs a quality clay courter.

No, not on clay. Clay can nuetralize Venus' biggest weapons. But, if playing well she is still very dangerous on the dirt.

davey25
04-01-2010, 04:48 AM
No, not on clay. Clay can nuetralize Venus' biggest weapons. But, if playing well she is still very dangerous on the dirt.

OK I got you. I have seen her play well in matches on grass and hard courts and lose too though, especialy vs Serena, the 2007 U.S Open semis to Henin, and some others. Anyhow I agree with you that when Venus is playing well she is extremely hard to beat. If she had the mental strength of her sister I think she would have atleast the same # or more slams as she is just as talented, athletic, powerful, and overall skilled. Serena has that extra mental strength that puts her over the top though.

As for the French she should have even won that atleast once from 99-2004. She was one of the top clay courters several of those years. Her window there is lone gone though.

DRII
04-01-2010, 05:24 AM
OK I got you. I have seen her play well in matches on grass and hard courts and lose too though, especialy vs Serena, the 2007 U.S Open semis to Henin, and some others. Anyhow I agree with you that when Venus is playing well she is extremely hard to beat. If she had the mental strength of her sister I think she would have atleast the same # or more slams as she is just as talented, athletic, powerful, and overall skilled. Serena has that extra mental strength that puts her over the top though.

As for the French she should have even won that atleast once from 99-2004. She was one of the top clay courters several of those years. Her window there is lone gone though.

I know its convenient, and probably unfair, as a Venus fan to say that if she looses it means she not playing well.

But I truly do feel that her 100% is greater than any other female player's 100% that I've seen (which is in itself a hypothetical, we have never seen any player's 100% playing level).

But i also feel Venus' 90 % is greater than any other's 90% level. But once you get to the 75% - 85% level (meaning both players playing 'well') she can certainly be beat by a few - namely her sister, Henin, Davenport, Clisjters etc. I would still pick her the majority of the time.

That 2007 US Open loss to Henin you mentioned does not represent a time Venus was playing well IMO. She was suffering with anemia and dizziness that year at the USO, and in that particular match she was not serving well at all. I distinctly remember the commentators saying Henin had a higher average 1st serve speed than Venus. Certainly if Venus was playing well she should have out served Henin.

I will say that Venus' game is just not that technically sound, relatively speaking, so she can make alot of errors. But when everythings clicking, shes pretty much unbeatable. I actually heard Lindsay Davenport say this (in so many words) when she was commenting for Tennis Channel, and when pressed by Corina Morariu (the other commentator) she refused to say the same thing about Serena! I thought it was very telling.

I completely understand that not everyone agrees.