PDA

View Full Version : Federer/Nadal have more facebook fans than most athletes!

DragonBlaze
03-31-2010, 05:25 AM
So I know this is random but I was surprised to find out that Federer (and even Nadal) had more fans on facebook than most other big athletes I could think of.
More than

Tiger Woods
Michael Jordan (but ofcourse Michael was last generation really)
Lebron James
Kobe
Any cricket star
David Beckham!
Most football stars except Ronaldo who had a bit more than him.

Infact Nadal was almost equal to or more than these guys as well. So I thought that was nice for tennis! Clearly facebook has a tennis following!

christos_liaskos
03-31-2010, 05:37 AM
That's great to know!

Also, you seem a bit surprised that Rafa 'also' has a big following. Dont want to turn this into a bashing and trolling thread by bringing up the differences between Rafa and Roger but, on Sky Sports in the UK at the moment they are doing a little experiment where you text in your top5 favourite players. So far rafa is way ahead, I think he had around 25% of the vote last I heard and that was from a list of about 20 named players. Roger was second with about 10% I think.

I suppose across the general population who arent necessarily watching tennis on tv all year round like we are, Federer probably ranks higher, therefore explaining his lead on facebook

Chezbeeno
03-31-2010, 08:00 AM
I suspect Tiger lost a ton of fans or else he would be up there

aldeayeah
03-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Tennis is a very international sport and that helps a lot.

OKUSA
03-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Davydenko needs more fans, you have to love the Playstation 4!

babbette
03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
I suppose across the general population who arent necessarily watching tennis on tv all year round like we are, Federer probably ranks higher, therefore explaining his lead on facebook

his lead might have to do with the fact that he started his page months before Rafa's.

swissmiss
03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
That's great to know!

Also, you seem a bit surprised that Rafa 'also' has a big following. Dont want to turn this into a bashing and trolling thread by bringing up the differences between Rafa and Roger but, on Sky Sports in the UK at the moment they are doing a little experiment where you text in your top5 favourite players. So far rafa is way ahead, I think he had around 25% of the vote last I heard and that was from a list of about 20 named players. Roger was second with about 10% I think.

I think Rafa has a lot of younger fans, who may be more likely to text in, so I'm not sure how much those results mean. I'm a huge Federer fan but I would never text in to something like that. I think worldwide Federer has the slightly larger fan base - because of his popularity in the Middle East, Africa and Asia - but they are both extremely popular for sure.

Poor Andy Murray only has 80,000 fans, compared to almost 3.4 million for Federer and 2.3 million for Nadal.

DragonBlaze
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
That's great to know!

I think Rafa has a lot of younger fans, who may be more likely to text in, so I'm not sure how much those results mean. I'm a huge Federer fan but I would never text in to something like that. I think worldwide Federer has the slightly larger fan base - because of his popularity in the Middle East, Africa and Asia - but they are both extremely popular for sure.

Poor Andy Murray only has 80,000 fans, compared to almost 3.4 million for Federer and 2.3 million for Nadal.

I wasn't surprised that Nadal had a big following either. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just surprised BOTH of them had bigger following than other big athletes (more than Usain Bolt as well btw).

Although I agree with swissmiss as to why Rafa was leading the texting poll. Rafa would dominate the younger demographic whereas I think Rogers fan are more spread out. I agree that worldwide that Federer has more fans, just because he's been around longer, he's been the face of the game for the last 7 or so years and he does a lot more media stuff. Roger just gets more exposure than Rafa I think (but for sure Nadal's fan base has grown exponentially the last few years).

And as for the bolded sentence. Poor all tennis players other than Roger and Rafa because none of the other players have a fan base anyway near that of Fed/Rafa. Highest I could find was Djoker with 200,000 or so fans. Surprisingly (or I guess not) Sharapova has the most fans for the females with 2 million! Almost as much as Rafa!