PDA

View Full Version : Federer's losses at Masters tournaments since 2007,

GasquetGOAT
03-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Anyone has the stats for all of Federer's losses at Masters tournaments from 2007? If I recall correctly there were more 3 set losses than straight set losses. Some of the more one sided straight set losses were to Canas and Fish (of all people).

As for the purpose of this thread, I guess you can discuss the commonalities and dissimilarities of those losses.:twisted:

BigServer1
03-31-2010, 10:58 AM
The weird thing for me with the last two losses was the fact that he had match points in both, and just looked like he didn't even care to cash them in. I understand not caring about M1000 events all that much, but he had a real shot to further his lead over the rest of the field and lock up the #1 ranking for a little while longer.

It's frustrating to see, but at this point, I know he'll be ready for the FO/Wimby season and he'll make deep runs at both of those slams and will probably win one of them. It's the new cycle.

GasquetGOAT
03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
5 losses at Masters to Nadal and Murray since 2007:

2009 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells
CA, U.S.A. Hard S Murray, Andy
6-3, 4-6, 6-1 Stats

2008 ATP Masters Series Madrid
Spain Hard S Murray, Andy
3-6, 6-3, 7-5 Stats

2008 ATP Masters Series Hamburg
Germany Clay F Nadal, Rafael
7-5, 6-7(3), 6-3 Stats

2008 ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo
Monaco Clay F Nadal, Rafael
7-5, 7-5 Stats

2007 ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo
Monaco Clay F Nadal, Rafael
6-4, 6-4 Stats

Li Ching Yuen
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM
The weird thing for me with the last two losses was the fact that he had match points in both, and just looked like he didn't even care to cash them in. I understand not caring about M1000 events all that much, but he had a real shot to further his lead over the rest of the field and lock up the #1 ranking for a little while longer.

It's frustrating to see, but at this point, I know he'll be ready for the FO/Wimby season and he'll make deep runs at both of those slams and will probably win one of them. It's the new cycle.

:-|:-|

So he missed a first serve because he didn't care?

Seriously?

:|:|

wow...

GasquetGOAT
03-31-2010, 11:14 AM

Thats a good observation, it is weird for someone like him to have back to back losses where he had matches points. I thought the last time he match point and lost (in Masters) was Rome 2006.

forzamilan90
03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
we are aware of the situation, he's not the same at the masters

abraxas21
03-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Federer has become a choker in MS since 2007

Kam2010
03-31-2010, 12:45 PM
I think its rather sad that Federer tends to only play his best at Grandslams I personally think its discusting as people go there to watch him play and he does not put 100% effort when he plays anywhere apart from Grandslams.

Where as Nadal he puts 100% everywhere and he does not cry like a little pum pum (Federer)
Nadal shows respect for every opponent and fan out there, Federer has too much arrogance

bruce38
03-31-2010, 01:17 PM
I think its rather sad that Federer tends to only play his best at Grandslams I personally think its discusting as people go there to watch him play and he does not put 100% effort when he plays anywhere apart from Grandslams.

Where as Nadal he puts 100% everywhere and he does not cry like a little pum pum (Federer)
Nadal shows respect for every opponent and fan out there, Federer has too much arrogance

That's true, Nadal does put 100% effort all the time. I suppose though he has to.

pmerk34
03-31-2010, 01:19 PM

No, it's rather smart. He will be 29 in August and has been a full time pro since 2000. His focus has shifted to winning slams.

Nadal on the other hand is a fool when it comes to taking care of himself.

Agassifan
03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Rafa can't step up his level for a slam. Fed can.

luckyboy1300
03-31-2010, 02:58 PM

oh ok so if it's nadal it's "showing respect" for his opponents when he quits matches? puts 100% effort yet opted to skip wimbledon as the defending champion?

davey25
03-31-2010, 03:14 PM

I agree with all you said.

Semi-Pro
03-31-2010, 03:40 PM

You're an idiot. Read what pmerk34 said and maybe, just maybe it will sink in...

pmerk34
03-31-2010, 04:24 PM
You're an idiot. Read what pmerk34 said and maybe, just maybe it will sink in...

Nadal has an ego too and part of what feeds it is all the press and praise he gets for being a grinder and a fighter. Consequently instead of just conceding a set when down two breaks to a guy on roll against him (Like Fed and Sampras do/did), Nadal will exert tremendous energy to lose the set 7-5 instead of 6-1. It is catching up with him.

BlueBird
03-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe before Roger plays in anymore of these Masters series tournaments, he should think about his fans and potential paying customers and let them know how he feels now before they buy tickets to watch him play. Perhaps, he should let them know that since this tournament is not a major he really doesn't care whether he wins or not. In fact, he couldn't care less. He probably should let them know that if they want to see him play, suggest they buy a ticket to a 2d or 3rd round match (assuming first round bye) because he should be long gone after that. Even though he's Numero Uno on the ATP tour and the face of men's tennis, he doesn't feel like giving his all anymore. He only cares about the majors, nothing else matters. But he does promise to put a dejected look on his face after he loses. He wants everyone to know he was trying to win. He would like to ask you, though, if you're at the stadium taking in one of his matches and you hear him snoring on the court, please give a yell.

GasquetGOAT
04-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Maybe before Roger plays in anymore of these Masters series tournaments, he should think about his fans and potential paying customers and let them know how he feels now before they buy tickets to watch him play. Perhaps, he should let them know that since this tournament is not a major he really doesn't care whether he wins or not. In fact, he couldn't care less. He probably should let them know that if they want to see him play, suggest they buy a ticket to a 2d or 3rd round match (assuming first round bye) because he should be long gone after that. Even though he's Numero Uno on the ATP tour and the face of men's tennis, he doesn't feel like giving his all anymore. He only cares about the majors, nothing else matters. But he does promise to put a dejected look on his face after he loses. He wants everyone to know he was trying to win. He would like to ask you, though, if you're at the stadium taking in one of his matches and you hear him snoring on the court, please give a yell.

we are aware of the situation, he's not the same at the masters

But why not? Don't tell me he doesn't care because he clearly cared enough to take it to the 3rd most of the time. What about Basel last year you don't think he wanted to win it infront of his home crowd yet lost it in 3 sets again?

GasquetGOAT
04-01-2010, 05:54 AM
I agree with all you said.

You must be joking. I thought you're a rational poster.

markwillplay
04-01-2010, 06:03 AM
he cares...he hates to lose..no doubt. He now has a built in excuse though with everyone saying that he does not care as much....so it hurts less...he knows that everyone is saying that he is concentrating on the slams. No doubt he is but to say he does not care and is not really pressing to win is total BS. We'll see what happens at the french. I thnk that these losses certainly don't hurt him but they may help others think theycan win..maybe ....maybe not. 3 out of 5 is his game for sure and he is still the best player out there and the toughest to beat in 3 out of 5.

kaleidoskope
04-01-2010, 06:49 AM
well lemme see if I can phrase this in a language that is not naturally mine...

I, too, as fan of the beautiful tennis we all know Roger is capable of, have been increasingly annoyed by is seemingly lack of motivation for tournaments other than Grand Slams. Of course, if he could, I would like him to win them all to finish his carreer with a total rampage, in a clear "I am better than you all midgets" kind of ending scene :)

BUT...

Then I remember a little phrase he said back in 06 or 07. It went something like "Now I have to justify loosing a match, it's ridiculous...". Then it hits me. I can't even imagine the pressure we, fans, put on our favorite players. It amazing. I mean the guy obviously won everything that was there to be won, is acclaimed by ALL his pairs (and older ones too) as one of the best tennis player history has seen - and don't come with the "if" crap (if he was there when Sampras, Edberg, Becker, Laver, McEnroe, Lendl, blah, blah, blah...), and yet it's just not enough for us, right? I mean as I remember it, the 2 moments I saw him play badly were right after some kind of illness (2009 and now) and even then he ended 2009 the way we all saw. He lost twice in MS this year? Big deal! As far as I am concerned those 3 sets of pure magic in the AO final make up for those losses a thousand times over.

Regarding his lack of motivation, he's 28 and won it all. Figures it would be very hard to find a reason to wake up in the morning to go and do what you have been doing for your whole life (and being the absolute best at it), again, and again. Remember what happened to Wilander? I was wondering if that would happen to Roger after he wond the French. In fact I was in awe when he won Wimby, and was not even surprised wen he let go the US open so easily (I am not saying that Juan Martin did not legitimately kick Roger's out of the court in that 5th set. He deserved to win because he was WAY better that Roger in that set). But I felt Roger was king of relieved when it ended. Can you imagine what would have happened had he won it? Any doubts that every single one of us (lovers AND haters) would be on top of him to win the AO and everything left? He was in EVERY GS FINAL of the last few years and won 16 of'em! Can we be anymore pushy? :D

And another thing made the loss to Berdych somewhat easier on me. I remembered somewhere someone in this forum saying that he hates trainning, thet he prefers actual playing in order to get better. And that 3rd set was really good in my book. He made a lot less UE and a shitload of winners.

What I mean in this is simply that Roger has every single right to be less worried by the losses (and he clearly isn't...), less hungry for victories. Even if he does not make the calendar year grand slam, he still is one of the greatest tennis player I have had the privilege to witness. As simply as that. If his peers recognize that in him, who the **** am I not to do so??

So what do I hope for the next couple of years? Simply that he will relax, wipe away the pressure, play more and more matches, enjoy the things that are most important to him (family and friends), get his easy groove back a little for our viewing pleasure, and if along the way he ends up winning a few more GS and/or MS, well, I'll be happy. If not? I'll be happy too ;)

There, there... I'm off to take my chill pill :D

Peace

JennyS
04-01-2010, 09:40 AM
No, it's rather smart. He will be 29 in August and has been a full time pro since 2000. His focus has shifted to winning slams.

Nadal on the other hand is a fool when it comes to taking care of himself.

At this rate, Nadal will play 30 matches from Indian Wells through Madrid and Federer will play 10 matches!

JennyS
04-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Federer vs Nadal, Masters Series since 2007:

Federer: 75-23 (.765), 4 titles
Nadal: 105-19 (.846), 9 titles

TheTruth
04-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Rafa can't step up his level for a slam. Fed can.

Grand slam record against Fed:

2-6

namelessone
04-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Federer vs Nadal, Masters Series since 2007:

Federer: 75-23 (.765), 4 titles
Nadal: 105-19 (.846), 9 titles

And that's with Rafa having 3 clay masters yearly(best surface,25 clay titles overall) at his disposal while Roger has 6 on HC(best surface,40 titles overall). Yeah I know Roger is great on grass too but grass does not have masters titles,unfortunately.

sh@de
04-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Grand slam record against Fed:

2-6

Total grandslams:

Fed 16
Nad 6

I'm sorry, who did you say can't step up in slams again...?

TheTruth
04-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Total grandslams:

Fed 16
Nad 6

I'm sorry, who did you say can't step up in slams again...?

Fed 28
Nad 23

I didn't say anyone couldn't step in the slams. I said he stepped up against Roger.