PDA

View Full Version : John McEnroe talks about Blake

Riosfan
03-31-2010, 11:39 AM
It's always interesting to hear what Johnny Mac has to say about certain top players and this here what he says about Blake is spot on. He plays one way but it's amazing he got to #4...

http://thebiofile.com/2010/03/john-mcenroe-analyzes-james-blakes-career/

pmerk34
03-31-2010, 12:11 PM
It's always interesting to hear what Johnny Mac has to say about certain top players and this here what he says about Blake is spot on. He plays one way but it's amazing he got to #4...

http://thebiofile.com/2010/03/john-mcenroe-analyzes-james-blakes-career/

Well he basically echoed what a lot of posters here say about Blake - minus the thinly veiled racist comments about his "intelligence" and anti American rants that typically accompany those comments

samprasvsfederer123
03-31-2010, 04:04 PM
whatever the point is he was an over achiver by getting where he got with his talent and his game, and when get got there he became and underachiever for not doing as good as other top 10 players, people are just stupid, he is dead to me wont do anything bigger in tennis, move on people he is over.

pmerk34
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
whatever the point is he was an over achiver by getting where he got with his talent and his game, and when get got there he became and underachiever for not doing as good as other top 10 players, people are just stupid, he is dead to me wont do anything bigger in tennis, move on people he is over.

Troll 10charc troll

Paul Murphy
03-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Spot on assessment but nothing new - Blake is great to watch when he's "on" but his style of play is a magnet for UEs.

Riosfan
04-01-2010, 07:01 AM
spot on is right. McEnroe is rarely off when critiquing players games. Itr's gotta be a worrying time for Blake, he is dropping, his game is the same ane he's losing close matches to lesser opponents. The new coach isn't working, his game has not changed at all.

Dilettante
04-01-2010, 07:11 AM
I agree with Mac on this. I think the same about Blake (and a buch of other players for that matter: Tsonga, etc).

pjonesy
04-01-2010, 07:39 AM
spot on is right. McEnroe is rarely off when critiquing players games. Itr's gotta be a worrying time for Blake, he is dropping, his game is the same ane he's losing close matches to lesser opponents. The new coach isn't working, his game has not changed at all.

I do not see why these comments are a big deal. McEnroe is just verbalizing what everybody already knows. Its much harder to break down a Roddick, Djokovic or Murray when their game goes south, simply because they have more elements to their game and more variety. Blake has certainly had a better career than Robbie Ginepri. I do not hear any criticism of Ginepri, and he has wallowed outside of the top 50 for years. I guess we can all be disappointed that Blake has not done more in his career, but he is comfortable playing one speed and has no plan B to speak of. He may get a big win here or there but if he has not made changes to his game by now, he probably won't make any in the future.

HunterST
04-01-2010, 07:42 AM
The idea that James Blake was just "never that good" is completely wrong. He really played some incredible tennis to get into the top 10.

His level of play has dropped dramatically. If Blake was playing today like he did in 06 or 07, he'd be top 15.

Like everybody on the planet says, he needs to try to develop some defense.

pmerk34
04-01-2010, 08:18 AM
The idea that James Blake was just "never that good" is completely wrong. He really played some incredible tennis to get into the top 10.

His level of play has dropped dramatically. If Blake was playing today like he did in 06 or 07, he'd be top 15.

His defense is is a great offense. He's had a better career than 99% guys the last decade

THUNDERVOLLEY
04-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Well he basically echoed what a lot of posters here say about Blake - minus the thinly veiled racist comments about his "intelligence" and anti American rants that typically accompany those comments

Good call.

HunterST
04-01-2010, 09:06 AM
His defense is is a great offense. He's had a better career than 99% guys the last decade

Excellent point. Also, he's better at tennis than most of us can ever hope to be at ANYTHING.

I guess it's just disappointing that he always seemed to be on the verge of great results but never quite got them.

pmerk34
04-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Excellent point. Also, he's better at tennis than most of us can ever hope to be at ANYTHING.

I guess it's just disappointing that he always seemed to be on the verge of great results but never quite got them.

Well as an American I was always rooting for him to break though. Every time I've seen him play he has bee an gracious player in defeat or victory,

welcome2petrkordaland
04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
like some peopl. said, typical johnie mac's stating of the painfully obvious. am i the only one who thinks that while jmac is seldomly wrong, i rarely learn anything new from what he says- he's captain obvious and full of hot air imo.

blake's play has actually improved in the last couple of years in terms of his versatility imo. this is not perceived by many to be the case, simply b/c the overall level of the field is pretty high right now with a great deal of parity.

at this point blake is in the twilight, so any further tweaking/honing of his defensive game or otherwise adding variety will only be that much harder.

in retrospect he needed a, dare I say, non-American coach years ago, but like many similarly stalemating players-young, venus, dementieva,etc.- he stubbornly kept his coach of old.

Overall, though, in the last coupla years, I've seen him play some excellent tennis against the likes of del potro (5-setter aussie '10), nadal (two close 3-setters in Fall of '10 when Nadal was at a very high level IMO), roddick, etc. and his game was clearly a little more varied than it started out.

Luckily, his body seems to be holding up at age of 30, so theoretically with continued work on staying in point with neutral shots-slices, loopers, etc.- he has chances to pull some more big wins IMHO.

rk_sports
04-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I like James.. for the whole thing.. how he started.. what he went thru.. what he achieved after... etc..

But what bums me out is just his ability to lose matches from a completely winnable positions :oops:

Riosfan
04-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey I remember he got a WC at US open in late 90s. he played Chris Woddruff first round and lost like 61 61 61. We really had no idea if he would even make it or survive for a couple years in ATP but he did and achieved way more than anyone was predicting back then.

He won 10 ATP titles, won a huge Davis Cup match vs. Youzhny in the final in Portland, huge win over a Davis Cup warrior legend. #4 in the world. He just had the misfortune of playing in the toughest era of all time against Roger Federer.. He had a halluva career. especially for a guy with the scoliosis and fall in Rome. Hope he can make another run, it won't be easy.

decades
04-01-2010, 05:19 PM
he does not look in as good of shape as he did before. I think his biggest issue is Umpires. They tend to cost him big bucks.

dh003i
04-01-2010, 06:37 PM

So, we can't criticize Blake's intelligence without being accused of being racist?

pmerk34
04-01-2010, 06:58 PM
So, we can't criticize Blake's intelligence without being accused of being racist?

Kind of weird when Blake went to Harvard to claim he's dumb. He plays the same way a lot of pros play and does it much better than most.

nethawkwenatchee
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice Find Riosfan! I always like to hear J-Mac talk tennis and especially other players games too. His analysis is tough and he supports his opinions with hard data.

By the way: I saw you're other thread on Berdych nicknames and I thought T-Bird was cool and original... I have never heard or read it about this guy and I feel you deserve credit for the nickname!

Have good one buddy!

Bhagi Katbamna
04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Kind of weird when Blake went to Harvard to claim he's dumb. He plays the same way a lot of pros play and does it much better than most.

Maybe he should have graduated then because Mac does say he only plays one way and doesn't make adjustments. That is a sign of a lack of tennis intelligence.

Riosfan
04-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Fred Stolle said the same thing during Hopman Cup last year. That Blake plays one dimensional tennis and plays to thrill the crowd with flashy shots more than to play smart tactical tennis. Stolle was diplomatic and nice about it but in his own way really told the cold hard truth about Blake's game.

pmerk34
04-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Maybe he should have graduated then because Mac does say he only plays one way and doesn't make adjustments. That is a sign of a lack of tennis intelligence.

And your post is a sign of a racism.

pmerk34
04-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Fred Stolle said the same thing during Hopman Cup last year. That Blake plays one dimensional tennis and plays to thrill the crowd with flashy shots more than to play smart tactical tennis. Stolle was diplomatic and nice about it but in his own way really told the cold hard truth about Blake's game.

Please inform the board of Juan Martin Del Potro's brilliant, smart tactical plan of bludgeoning every Forehand vs Federer in the '09 US Open Final

Matt H.
04-02-2010, 06:11 AM

which is proof of how one dimensional his game is. His ’06 form got him to #4 in the world. You’re saying his ’06 form is good for top 15 now. That says the game has passed him by and he hasn’t evolved.

That year was basically 2 hot runs to the finals at Indian Wells and the Masters Cup, 1 slam QF, and unlike every other year he pretty much beat all the lesser ranked and opponents he was “supposed to beat” (on paper).

pmerk34
04-02-2010, 06:14 AM
which is proof of how one dimensional his game is. His ’06 form got him to #4 in the world. You’re saying his ’06 form is good for top 15 now. That says the game has passed him by and he hasn’t evolved.

That year was basically 2 hot runs to the finals at Indian Wells and the Masters Cup, 1 slam QF, and unlike every other year he pretty much beat all the lesser ranked and opponents he was “supposed to beat” (on paper).

Blake is a fine player

DrpShot!
04-02-2010, 06:33 AM
When did Blake start using Luxilon? I think the stuff just encouraged him to bash the ball even harder and use even less touch and point construction. Biggest disappointment is that with his speed and power it seems like he could have developed the ability to place some of those big shots better and follow them to the net to end points earlier.

Riosfan
04-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Yeah bottom line is Blake has had a fantastic career. He has played amazing tennis against the best players on the planet on the most prestigious courts in the world.

Yeah, so what if he lost a lot of close matches. He won many too. #4 in the world and Davis Cup winner is a fantastic career.