PDA

View Full Version : NRG2 or Xr3?

Badger
03-31-2010, 02:26 PM
NRG2 or Xr3? Which and why? Just wondering because these are the multis available at my stringers. I told them to string it with NRG2 this time but was just wondering which you'd go for and your reasons for choosing so. Thanks a lot guys.

Fedace
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
what is XR3 and who makes it ??

Badger
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
what is XR3 and who makes it ??

As said above it's a monofilament with a multi wrap, often just called a multi by people on here. Tecnifibre make it.

I heard Xr3 plays more like a synthetic gut than a multi, is that right? Because why don't people just call it that because that's what it really is, no?

ReopeningWed
03-31-2010, 03:00 PM
NRG2 is a very good string, I loved playing with it in my Babolat Pure Storm Ltd. The feel was great, if I said I could feel the seams of the ball on my strings, I would just barely be exaggerating. I have a heavy topspin, all-court game, and spin with not a problem with this string. I think the strings were rather powerful, I played with Luxilon BB Original strung in the 40's prior, and made the transition seamlessly. One thing I did have a problem with, however, was durability. I broke two sets of these strings in a week, and I was miserable because these strings only played better the more they frayed.

Great string, and definitely a keeper if you don't break strings often.

Badger
03-31-2010, 03:09 PM
NRG2 is a very good string, I loved playing with it in my Babolat Pure Storm Ltd. The feel was great, if I said I could feel the seams of the ball on my strings, I would just barely be exaggerating. I have a heavy topspin, all-court game, and spin with not a problem with this string. I think the strings were rather powerful, I played with Luxilon BB Original strung in the 40's prior, and made the transition seamlessly. One thing I did have a problem with, however, was durability. I broke two sets of these strings in a week, and I was miserable because these strings only played better the more they frayed.

Thanks for the reply. Well I'm picking it up from the stringers tomorrow so it's already going in, but was wondering wheater I should try Xr3 next time or stick to NRG2 if I like it. I don't break strings quickly, Wilson NXT Tour in around 10 hours. Thanks for the reply, can't wait to see what it's like now!

David123
03-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Did you play full bed? iam thinking of trying to hybrid it with redcode crosses

rudester
03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Love nrg2 crosses in a hybrid.

Valjean
04-01-2010, 04:12 AM
Here is an XR3 playtest: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/05/tecnifibre_xr3.html

In my view, NRG2 is to XR3 as Babolat's Xcel Power is to its Xcel...it's a power emphasis versus a better comfort/greater control one.

TennisNinja
04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
NRG is great, except it can cause your racket to be a trampoline if you don't break it quickly, but sounds like you do if you break NXT after 10. Fairly cheap too.

GS
04-01-2010, 02:50 PM
What about another Tecnifibre multi, their TGV? Anyone tried it yet? It's supposed to be the replacement for their discontinued 515.

decades
04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
What about another Tecnifibre multi, their TGV? Anyone tried it yet? It's supposed to be the replacement for their discontinued 515.

it seems to be pretty powerful. I used it today...

David123
04-01-2010, 03:12 PM
i am gonna hybrid nrg2 with redcode mains... what do you guys think about that usage of nrg2?

KenC
04-02-2010, 06:05 AM

I recently had my wife's racquet strung with TGV. It is hands down the most arm friendly non gut string out there. I had it strung at 45 lbs since she recently recovered from TE. Interestingly the racquet still had great control and wasn't too over-powered at this low tension, and I could feel the strings pocketing the ball. Spin production was fine and more than enough. I hit with it for about 10 minutes and it plays basically like other TF multi strings.

Valjean
04-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Here is the USRSA's TGV playtest: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/07/tecnifibre_tgv.html

If you compare it to the one for XR3 that I already listed above, the Comfort scores are identical.

In my view, XR3--to my surprise, given TGV's advertising claim--played even softer than TGV.

As for replacing 515, in my view Prince's Premier with Softflex did that years back (and it actually improved on 515's tension maintenance too), and still leads the way, comfort-wise.

GS
04-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks alot, Val. Good info. (Love those soft multi's....)