PDA

View Full Version : Playing in the wind

vkartikv
05-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Living in West Texas, one can expect an average day to bring atleast 15 mph winds. It gets worse in spring with 20-30 mph almost everyday. Any suggestions for playing in the wind?

black_spin
05-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Playing in the wind can be a farce - normally good shots land out and shots flying wide can be blown in. Maybe hit more down the middle? I really don't envy you - I feel if there's one thing apart from rain that can ruin a match it's windy conditions. You can be be putting everything into a serve and see it's pace be taken off by a gust.

I did play a serve volleyer once on a really windy day, and when I was facing the wind I was just hitting lobs at pace over his head and they were all landing in! It was great!

Vlad
05-07-2005, 01:38 PM
I just played a match today in my league and there was a very strong wind.. I would say about 20 to 35 mph... the courts are in the open space so it makes things worse.. I lost the match in the third set but nevertheless, foot work is the most important aspect to play in the wind. Players with poor foot work, can not play in the wind period. Hit with more safety and margin for error. Don't go for too much.. try to find out what is the direction of the wind and based on that adjust your power level, pace and location..

scoot
05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Move your feet, dont go for the lines, and add extra topspin for safety.

vkartikv
05-07-2005, 02:30 PM
I do not have much problems with groundstrokes but my 1st serve % goes down to less than 10. and I end up doublefaulting. It eventually gets to my head and I lose focus, I think its more of a mental issue. I dont know how Federer managed to keep his cool against Agassi in the US open QF last yr when their match was postponed and played in >30 mph winds...

Thanks for your suggestions

Vlad
05-07-2005, 03:19 PM
yeah, mentally it is very difficult.. but you just have to think that the wind affecting both players and no one likes to play in the wind. Some can do it better than others though.. about serve... you have to take something off your serve and when I play I just hit my second serve first since there is no chance your opponent will attack it with some consistent success..

Rodzilla
05-07-2005, 03:21 PM
yeah, don't let the wind get to you. Try to think it's just another day but also make the needed adjustments.