PDA

View Full Version : Critical Weekend coming up for Stanford --- USC and UCLA road trip

Fedace
03-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Stanford now prepares for a crucial road trip, facing No. 4 USC (Friday, Apr. 2 - 1:30 p.m.) and No. 9 UCLA (Saturday, Apr. 3 - 1 p.m.).
Tough loss to Baylor but time to put that aside and get on a roll once again. Sometimes it is easier to play on the road away from all the pressures of home court and fans. Once again, doubles point will be crucial in the coming dual match. Lets keep up the success in doubles and dominate the singles once again....:)

jaggy
04-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Id like them to win both but think USC will beat them

Fedace
04-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Id like them to win both but think USC will beat them

that match should be available on Webcam from USC.

http://www.usctrojans.com/livestats/tennis/Scoreboard.html

Ambivalent
04-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Gonna call it right here
Farah and Johnson will defeat Klahn and Thacher, Farah will beat Klahn, Nguyen will beat wire, Nguyen and Sundling will win, Clayton will beat Johnson, Kandath will win, Poldma and Lucassen will win, Poldma will beat Thacher, and McNaughton will win.

roddick_rulz
04-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Stanford will only win the doubles point against USC.
It's gonna be a great match between Klahn and Johnson...but as we all know, #1 Johnson will rise to the occasion.

roddick_rulz
04-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Gonna call it right here
Farah and Johnson will defeat Klahn and Thacher, Farah will beat Klahn, Nguyen will beat wire, Nguyen and Sundling will win, Clayton will beat Johnson, Kandath will win, Poldma and Lucassen will win, Poldma will beat Thacher, and McNaughton will win.

There is no way that Clayton will beat Johnson if they play...Clayton is struggling like crazy and there is no way that he will snap this slump against the number one ranked player.

Fedace
04-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Gonna call it right here

HOW ?? Klahn OWNS Farah. and Clayton also owns Johnson. Stanford doubles teams can't be beaten. That is already 3 points right there. We only need 1 more point. Hirschman with his improved game will win at #6. so we win 4 matches to whatever.

Fedace
04-01-2010, 07:53 AM
OK my mistake. Johnson has been playing #1 as of late. so Klahn will most likely play Johnson. or we could switch it up since we have better match up with Clayton vs Johnson. Johnson for some odd reason just can't handle the power from Clayton... Maybe it is mental thing ??

andfor
04-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Stanford now prepares for a crucial road trip, facing No. 4 USC (Friday, Apr. 2 - 1:30 p.m.) and No. 9 UCLA (Saturday, Apr. 3 - 1 p.m.).
Tough loss to Baylor but time to put that aside and get on a roll once again. Sometimes it is easier to play on the road away from all the pressures of home court and fans. Once again, doubles point will be crucial in the coming dual match. Lets keep up the success in doubles and dominate the singles once again....:)

The Cardinals will be lucky to get out of L.A. 1-1 this weekend. I pick them to go 0-2. Easier to play on the road in front of hecklers? Losing at home due to the pressure of performing in front of the support of your own home crowd? Is no excuse ever to absurd to you Feddie?

Kick_It
04-01-2010, 10:12 AM
SC will win - no doubt.

I watched part of their match last Saturday - I was impressed, and they're playing against Stanford @ home.

no April fool's joke here.

Looks to me like SC will win the PAC-10 men's title this year, K_I

Fedace
04-01-2010, 10:17 AM
SC will win - no doubt.

I watched part of their match last Saturday - I was impressed, and they're playing against Stanford @ home.

no April fool's joke here.

Looks to me like SC will win the PAC-10 men's title this year, K_I

YES i agree. USC will win the pac-10 title and Stanford will win the NCAA title.:)

Ambivalent
04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
HOW ?? Klahn OWNS Farah. and Clayton also owns Johnson. Stanford doubles teams can't be beaten. That is already 3 points right there. We only need 1 more point. Hirschman with his improved game will win at #6. so we win 4 matches to whatever.

Yeah, their 3 setter at Sherwood was definitely "owned".
Stanford doubles cant be beaten? Klahn and Thacher lost to Nguyen and McNaughton before, and they are hardly ranked.

AndyArodRoddick
04-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Jaak Põldma is no 2 player in my country (Estonia)..he is something like 800 in the world and has OK forehand, bad BH and some OK movement, bad serve.

How is he doing there in US ?

Tina
04-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Any information about University of Missouri, Fedace?

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Yea FEDACE take Clayton off of your avatar and put Farah or Johnson.

Fedace
04-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Yea FEDACE take Clayton off of your avatar and put Farah or Johnson.

Yea, That is alex Clayton finishing off Farah in straight sets with a 110 MPH forehand winner down the LINE. :)

Fedace
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Farah will face Bradley Klahn at #1 singles and Johnson to face Clayton at #2. YES, this could work to our advantage. this is much better match up for Stanford........GO CARDINAL

http://www.usctrojans.com/livestats/tennis/Scoreboard.html

Fedace
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Match starting NOW. GO Stanford.........Lets shut these guys out.

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
What's the score?

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 03:55 PM
WOwerz Stanford is getting their butts kicked.

TourTenor
04-02-2010, 04:02 PM
WOwerz Stanford is getting their butts kicked.
Looking at the potential result ... I'd say the Tree has developed a fungus.

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Looking at the potential result ... I'd say the Tree has developed a fungus.

Well if Klahn can pull his match out and so can Thacher they have a pretty good chance seeing that Wire is on a roll.

TourTenor
04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Well if Klahn can pull his match out and so can Thacher they have a pretty good chance seeing that Wire is on a roll.
No, you're right, the Tree hasn't fallen, yet. They are down officially 4-1 and they will have to pull out all the rest. Possible but not likely. I wouldn't go out on a limb here.

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Thacher just won and Klahn is up a break. Wire is down a break. COME ON!!!!!!!

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 04:47 PM
It's pretty much over now.

Wire is down a double break.

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Wire comes back and looks like he can pull it out!

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Stanford got owned.

Joeyg
04-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Strike one, Dr Fedace.

Kick_It
04-02-2010, 06:52 PM
No 'foolin here. #1 nationally ranked doubles team went down in flames to start it all off:

No. 4 USC 5, No. 7 Stanford 2

DOUBLES
1) No. 8 Farah/Johnson (USC) d. No. 1 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) 8-3
2) Nguyen/Sundling (USC) d. No. 31 Clayton/Wire (STAN) 8-4
3) Lucassen/Poldma (USC) d. Kandath/Lin (STAN) 7-4, def.
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3

SINGLES
1) No. 15 Robert Farah (USC) d. No. 5 Bradley Klahn (STAN) 7-6 (5), 1-6, 7-6 (8)
2) No. 1 Steve Johnson (USC) d. No. 45 Alex Clayton (STAN) 6-3, 6-2
3) No. 93 Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. No. 73 Jaak Poldma (USC) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
4) No. 83 Daniel Nguyen (USC) d. Richard Wire (STAN) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
5) Denis Lin (STAN) d. No. 104 Peter Lucassen (USC) 6-3, 6-4
6) Jason McNaughton (USC) d. Greg Hirshman (STAN) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6, 3, 4, 1

woodrow1029
04-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Fedace, did #3 doubles actually end in a default, or do the people that put in the scores not know what they are doing?

JW10S
04-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Fedace, did #3 doubles actually end in a default, or do the people that put in the scores not know what they are doing?No, it was not a 'default'. Once a team has clinched 2 doubles matches and thus the doubles point the remaining match is halted.

DownTheLine
04-02-2010, 09:45 PM
No, it was not a 'default'. Once a team has clinched 2 doubles matches and thus the doubles point the remaining match is halted.

I think he knows that. Woodrow were you the umpire for any matches today?

Ambivalent
04-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Gonna call it right here

For some reason I thought Kandath was playing singles. Anyway, called 5/7. Not bad at all. Knew my boy Farah would beat Klahn.

andfor
04-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Very funny how Feddie announced the start of the match and then quickly disappeared and as soon as USC got out to an early lead.

Standford mens tennis half way to an 0-2 weekend. Could it be the pressure of the TW message board got to them against USC?

DownTheLine
04-03-2010, 06:14 AM
For some reason I thought Kandath was playing singles. Anyway, called 5/7. Not bad at all. Knew my boy Farah would beat Klahn.

He shouldn't have. Klahn served for the match twice.

Fedace
04-03-2010, 06:25 AM
He shouldn't have. Klahn served for the match twice.

It turned out ok since Denis Lin won his match easily. Lin replace Kandath at #5 spot. but Kandath will be back. He is too good of a player. he maybe the difference maker in Stanford winning the NCAA title in May...........

Joeyg
04-03-2010, 06:50 AM
I would be surprised if "Standford" makes it to the quarters of the NCAA finals.

ClarkC
04-03-2010, 06:58 AM
No, it was not a 'default'. Once a team has clinched 2 doubles matches and thus the doubles point the remaining match is halted.

Only if both coaches agree. The ITA rules for dual matches (not in tournaments) call for all matches to be completed, unless one school has a tight travel schedule or other special circumstances. It might have been defaulted, or it might have been abandoned by mutual agreement.

woodrow1029
04-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Actually there is a new rule for PAC-10 mens doubles this year. When the doubles point is decided, if the third match is on serve, they continue until 7-7 and then play a tiebreak. If one team is up a break, they finish that game. If they hold, the match is over. if the other team breaks back they continue until 7-7 or until one team breaks and consolidates.

I wanted to know of the rule was used or if Kandath/Lin did something to get def'd..

I didn't work any mathes yesterday. I'm working Santa Clara vs. USF today. Stanford v. USC women tomorrow.

DownTheLine
04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Actually there is a new rule for PAC-10 mens doubles this year. When the doubles point is decided, if the third match is on serve, they continue until 7-7 and then play a tiebreak. If one team is up a break, they finish that game. If they hold, the match is over. if the other team breaks back they continue until 7-7 or until one team breaks and consolidates.

I wanted to know of the rule was used or if Kandath/Lin did something to get def'd..

I didn't work any mathes yesterday. I'm working Santa Clara vs. USF today. Stanford v. USC women tomorrow.

He woodrow I am guessing you have been the umpire for some ATP matches right? If so other then the obvious better ball striking and being better. What sets Pros away from Top collage players(top 10)?

Fedace
04-03-2010, 08:37 AM

And don't forget to over-rule in Stanford's favor.

TourTenor
04-03-2010, 09:58 AM
My bad (in my earlier post) I forgot that the 3 doubles = 1 point. Older times 3 doubles = 3 points.

IMO each match should count equally. Anyone, want to help me with the logic as to why the current 3 dubs = 1 pt?? It means that the doubles can only be up to 14% (1 of 7) of the value towards settling a match. If 3 doubles = 3 points then it would be up to 33% (3 of 9) of the value. Am I missing something here? It seems there is little love for doubles in the college ranks.

DownTheLine
04-03-2010, 11:59 AM
My bad (in my earlier post) I forgot that the 3 doubles = 1 point. Older times 3 doubles = 3 points.

IMO each match should count equally. Anyone, want to help me with the logic as to why the current 3 dubs = 1 pt?? It means that the doubles can only be up to 14% (1 of 7) of the value towards settling a match. If 3 doubles = 3 points then it would be up to 33% (3 of 9) of the value. Am I missing something here? It seems there is little love for doubles in the college ranks.

Yea your right it should count equally. I think part of it is that they only play an 8 game pro set. If they did that it would usually be very good for Stanford.

andfor
04-03-2010, 12:22 PM

It's another time saver. After a team wins 2 of the 3 dbls matches the coaches can suspend the 3rd match and move on to start the singles. It also places more emphisis on singles they way I am sure the majority of the coaches want it. No matter how you slice it singles is and always has been more important in college tennis.

Ambivalent
04-03-2010, 12:31 PM

They only play 1 set in doubles though.

tennis08tarheels
04-03-2010, 04:59 PM

D2 and D3 still use the 9-point system, but although D3 tennis is what I mostly follow I do prefer the 7-point system. Doubles matches between top teams tend to be very close, being decided 8-6, 9-7 or 9-8. If one team gets a little lucky and takes three close doubles matches, then the match is essentially over. I like the 9-point system because every match counts for a point, but I like the 7-point system because the match is never decided before a singles match has been played.

socaltennnis
04-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Right, having a 9 point system where doubles counts the same as singles works better if matches are all played at the same time, like in high school. In college, since singles is played after, let's say a team wins 3-0 in dubs, then that means they only need to win 2/6 singles matches to win the match which is kind of pathetic.

Anyways, #7 Stanford beat #9 UCLA today 4-3, in what should have been a relatively easy match for Stanford. Stanford does not have what it takes to beat a top 8 team, so they probably wont make it to the quarterfinals at NCAA's. Also, UCLA had a really great chance of beating Stanford, and certainly could have at certain points of the match. UCLA took out their top two players, Abid and Seguso in both doubles and singles. Last year's number seven in the lineup, Amit Inbar stepped up to #2 two weeks ago and took Alex Clayton to two match points in the third at 5-4, although it was on Inbar's return of serve which made it tough.

Lastly, Alex Clayton told me at the match that he has never met Fedace and does not want to.

No. 7 Stanford 4, No. 9 UCLA 3

DOUBLES

1) No. 41 Inbar/Meister (UCLA) d. No. 1 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) 8-4
2) No. 31 Clayton/Wire (STAN) d. Brigham/Tabatruong (UCLA) 8-0
3) Hirshman/Kandath (STAN) d. Brooklyn/Stewart (UCLA) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3

SINGLES

1) No. 5 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. Nick Meister (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 45 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Amit Inbar (UCLA) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
3) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) d. No. 93 Ryan Thacher (STAN) 7-6, 7-6
4) Kallim Stewart (UCLA) d. Richard Wire (STAN) 7-6, 6-1
5) Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) d. Denis Lin (STAN) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6) Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Alex Brigham (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 6, 5, 3, 2

socaltennnis
04-03-2010, 06:03 PM
PS: I think Stanford's website (where I grabbed the set scores) was incorrect. It was Lin/Kandath at 3 doubles.

Fedace
04-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Alex Clayton is the HERO of the day....

#7 Stanford 4, #9 UCLA 3
Apr 03, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)

Doubles
1. #41 Inbar/Meister (UCLA) def. #1 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) 8-4
2. #31 Clayton/Wire (STAN) def. Brigham/Tabatruong (UCLA) 8-0
3. Matt Kandath/Lin (STAN) def. Brooklyn/Stewart (UCLA) 8-4
Stanford Wins Doubles Point

Singles
1. #5 Bradley Klahn (STAN) def. #89 Nick Meister (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3
2. #45 Alex Clayton (STAN) def. #102 Amit Inbar (UCLA) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
3. #52 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. #93 Ryan Thacher (STAN) 7-6, 7-6
4. Kallim Stewart (UCLA) def. Richard Wire (STAN) 7-6, 6-1
5. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Denis Lin (STAN) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6. Greg Hirshman (STAN) def. Alex Brigham (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4

Match Notes
Stanford 12-5; 2-1 Pac-10; National ranking #7
UCLA 12-5; 3-1 Pac-10; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,6,5,3,2)

GREAT WIN guys,,,,Time to get on a roll and go Unbeaten til we bring home the NCAA tournament championships where it belongs.......

Fedace
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
I am little Confused... What is Kalim Stewart doing in UCLA ? I thought he was playing for Cal ??

Anyway,,,,,That is the way to come out the slump, Alex. Couldn't have thought of better way than to CARRY the team to the victory and break the losing streak. I have a Feeling that Alex may go unbeaten from here on to the NCAA championships including the singles championship.

socaltennnis
04-03-2010, 06:50 PM
He transferred to UCLA this summer.

DownTheLine
04-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Why didn't Abid play?

EDIT: What's up with Klahn and Thacher this weekend? Dropping both doubles that's a little disappointing.

DownTheLine
04-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Alex Clayton is the HERO of the day....

#7 Stanford 4, #9 UCLA 3
Apr 03, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)

Doubles
1. #41 Inbar/Meister (UCLA) def. #1 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) 8-4
2. #31 Clayton/Wire (STAN) def. Brigham/Tabatruong (UCLA) 8-0
3. Matt Kandath/Lin (STAN) def. Brooklyn/Stewart (UCLA) 8-4
Stanford Wins Doubles Point

Singles
1. #5 Bradley Klahn (STAN) def. #89 Nick Meister (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3
2. #45 Alex Clayton (STAN) def. #102 Amit Inbar (UCLA) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
3. #52 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. #93 Ryan Thacher (STAN) 7-6, 7-6
4. Kallim Stewart (UCLA) def. Richard Wire (STAN) 7-6, 6-1
5. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Denis Lin (STAN) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6. Greg Hirshman (STAN) def. Alex Brigham (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4

Match Notes
Stanford 12-5; 2-1 Pac-10; National ranking #7
UCLA 12-5; 3-1 Pac-10; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,6,5,3,2)

GREAT WIN guys,,,,Time to get on a roll and go Unbeaten til we bring home the NCAA tournament championships where it belongs.......

I'm really looking forward to the videos of thee matches. Can't wait to see the last match when Clayton won.

Fedace
04-03-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm really looking forward to the videos of thee matches. Can't wait to see the last match when Clayton won.

Celebrating like Brothers. This bond will carry the team to the NCAA title.:)

Fedace
04-03-2010, 08:27 PM
He transferred to UCLA this summer.

I am confused,,,,if you transferr,,,,i thought the rule saids, you have to take a year off......... Otherwise,,,guys will be transferring left and right....

woodrow1029
04-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I am little Confused... What is Kalim Stewart doing in UCLA ? I thought he was playing for Cal ??

Anyway,,,,,That is the way to come out the slump, Alex. Couldn't have thought of better way than to CARRY the team to the victory and break the losing streak. I have a Feeling that Alex may go unbeaten from here on to the NCAA championships including the singles championship.

He didn't play at Cal last year either.

Fedace
04-04-2010, 05:47 AM
He didn't play at Cal last year either.

Do you know what the story was on that ? Not sure why he was so unhappy at Cal ?

jaggy
04-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Do you know what the story was on that ? Not sure why he was so unhappy at Cal ?

He was homeschooled and socially has a LOT of adjustment problems. He is also some kind of music prodigy and flirts with quitting tennis to concentrate on music. And his father is an interesting tennis parent. It's a shame as he is a great striker of the ball.

Fedace
04-04-2010, 12:24 PM
He was homeschooled and socially has a LOT of adjustment problems. He is also some kind of music prodigy and flirts with quitting tennis to concentrate on music. And his father is an interesting tennis parent. It's a shame as he is a great striker of the ball.

so he figured he would adjust better at UCLA than at Cal. provided that there are more weirdos at Cal,,,but UCLA has issues of its own. He is a force in college tennis but not sure if he will make it in the pros...maybe stick to music.

TourTenor
04-04-2010, 01:12 PM
there are more weirdos at Cal,,,but UCLA has issues of its own.
A classic Fedace quote ... of course, nobody can think of any Stanford weirdos. Wahhhaaahhaaahaaa.

Fedace
04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
A classic Fedace quote ... of course, nobody can think of any Stanford weirdos. Wahhhaaahhaaahaaa.

I can think of one that is Charming, kind and has great sense of Humor..

Fedace
04-04-2010, 01:45 PM
OK guys,,,,Lets get revenge over that mediocre doubles team of Farah and Johnson. Klahn and Thacher takes Farah and Johnson in the finals of pacific coast doubles.

stanfordtennis alum
04-04-2010, 01:50 PM
fedace, did u watch the cards battle baylor last week or no?

Fedace
04-04-2010, 02:01 PM
fedace, did u watch the cards battle baylor last week or no?

yes, i watched parts of it. I felt bad for Thacher. He had so many chances in the 3rd set and didn't break. That really cost him. He was too tentative on break points. but i have a feeling he will play a key role when NCAA comes around.:)