PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about stringing

Cross-court
03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
I presume this has been asked before, but I used the search engine in this forum and I didn't find anything, and I'm also short on time so I didn't want to go through a lot of threads and not find anything.

Alright so I don't know much about stringing; all I know is about strings, which are good and which are bad, what kind/type there are etc., but when it comes to stringing and tension and strings that maintain tension and all that stuff I really don't know anything.

So the thing is that I'm going to get my racket strung early in the morning today, I'm probably going to go with some type of Wilson Next (which was what I got the last time, don't remember exactly which one though) which it seems it has synthetic gut in it (I thought it was co-poly), but if not I'm going to have some type of co-poly string, either one of those.

So this guy I hit with told me that he "double pulls" the strings so they hold the tension evenly or better or something like that, and he told me that the ones in the specific store I'll go don't do that. My problem was that my last string job felt like it was unbalanced or uneven or something like that, and I would get these really weird shots that went very long out of nowhere, and when I hit the ball it didn't feel compact so I was mis-hitting a lot.

So I'm just asking for some tips here, like what can I say to the guy at the store so that it doesn't feel unbalanced like that.

kimbahpnam
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
I have no clue.

Cross-court
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Jeez i was in such a hurry i didn't even notice, one of my main questions was: what does it mean to "double pull" the strings, and what effects (good or bad) does this have.

kimbahpnam
03-31-2010, 11:10 PM
i think double pulling gives a truer tension by getting rid of any slack there might be

Cross-court
03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
You think telling him to double pull them might be offensive to him? And does this apply to every string? Double pulling?

dancraig
03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
"Double Pulling" could refer to two different activities.
One would be pulling two strings at one time. Not good. Could result in a less tight stringbed.
The other might be pulling tension twice on each string. This would take some of the "creep" out of the string and result in a tighter stringbed that could hold tension longer.
It sounds like he is talking about the second option.

Cross-court
04-01-2010, 12:02 AM
"Double Pulling" could refer to two different activities.
One would be pulling two strings at one time. Not good. Could result in a less tight stringbed.
The other might be pulling tension twice on each string. This would take some of the "creep" out of the string and result in a tighter stringbed that could hold tension longer.
It sounds like he is talking about the second option.

Definitely the second.

How about "loosening up" the strings before stringing the racket? Is that also necessary?

dancraig
04-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Definitely the second.

How about "loosening up" the strings before stringing the racket? Is that also necessary?

Sounds like you are talking about string prestretch. This also takes the "creep" out of the string, enabling it to hold it's tension longer. This can also take some of the resiliency out, making the racquet play stiffer and less arm friendly. I don't usually prestretch, but it's one of those personal preference things.