PDA

View Full Version : PS 4.2 95's modern equivelant?

vwfye
04-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Does anyone know if Wilson makes a current racquet that would be close to the 4.2?

vsbabolat
04-01-2010, 08:41 AM
If you are referring to the Pro Staff Classic 4.2 95 then the closest racquet available today would be the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 16x18.

PBODY99
04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know if Wilson makes a current racquet that would be close to the 4.2?

Do you mean the Black dual taper frame with 18 mains from the late 1980's ?? If so, not that I know of. Pro Staff Hammer 95<gold Colored> was the last of the dense pattern frames with the SI number of 4.

Don't Let It Bounce
04-01-2010, 03:31 PM
OP might mean the 90's Pro Staff 4.2 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=35561): like the PS Classic 6.1, but even stiffer, matte back, blue/gold instead of red/yellow accents. If so, the current Wilson player's 95's won't really feel much like it. No one makes a 95 that stiff anymore.

Vantage Tennis makes custom racquets that people seem to really like. I know they have 95's, and I know they have RA 77 stiffness, but I don't know if they have both together. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Also, of course, you can often find the PS 4.2 itself on auction and in the TT For Sale section.

vwfye
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks Bounce... that's the stick. I let a student borrow mine yesterday and he is in love. I ain't sellin' mine though, so I thought I'd find out if there was a new version. Thanks

tennis005
04-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Maybe post in the Wanted section and see if anyone has any?

vwfye
04-02-2010, 11:35 AM
nah... he wants a new stick.

Ronaldo
04-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks Bounce... that's the stick. I let a student borrow mine yesterday and he is in love. I ain't sellin' mine though, so I thought I'd find out if there was a new version. Thanks

Have a 5/8

vwfye
04-02-2010, 01:10 PM
$ ???5/8 is my size

Ronaldo
04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
$ ???5/8 is my size

Contact ggran@toast.net

armsty
04-02-2010, 05:33 PM
A student fell in love with your stick?

Ronaldo
04-02-2010, 07:13 PM
A student fell in love with your stick?

You would too. Imagine a PSC 6.1 95 with a higher larger sweetspot, more damped, and a tad lighter. When Venus Williams was #1, rumour had it she used a PSC 4.2 110.

DaveDe78
04-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I've been looking for something like it for the last 10 years, best racquet ever and nothing really comes close. I've asked the same question on here, but still no luck. I'm now using the KPS88. The closest thing spec wise is the BLX 95 16x18, the 4.2 was a 16x18 pattern, I have a couple k6.1 95's 16x18 with lead at 3 & 9 that I think feel better then the BLX's. But as far as feel goes, I have yet to find anything that really feels as great as the old PSC 4.2's, they were a special racquet and I played and felt better with those racquets then anything else. I wish you luck, I know I'll keep looking, but there still isn't anything that I've found that feels anywhere as good. Also, I think stiffness played a big part and the PSC 4.2 was a 74 on the RA, the closet to it in current players racquets is the Babolat Roddick Pure Drive at 72, but I think that is a real players frame. Like I said, the PSC 4.2 was a very special racquet, and they haven't made anything near as good since.

vwfye
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Fresh string job today... Big Hitter Gray 17/Liberty 16 @ 45lbs. Going to see how it goes tonight!

Don't Let It Bounce
04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I know the OP said new sticks only, but for others drawn here by the memory of the PS 4.2, here are a couple of ideas:

1. The Hyper Pro Staff 5.0 95 is a more recent extremely stiff PS variant and might therefore be easier to find.

2. This may seem strange, but consider the Yamaha Secret 6.0, sometimes available on auction as new old stock (I bought a lot of 4 that way!) and cheaper than the 04. The head size is listed as 100, but mine are considerably smaller: using pi x radius x radius for the area of an ellipse, they measure out as 94 sq in, and visually they are smaller than Wilson 98's. Stiffness probably mid-70's (less stiff than the 04 but still stiff as Hades), beam 24.5 mm (maybe a bit thicker than the 4.2), 360 g, 7 pt HL, SW 329. Feel... well, that's hard to say. I hit with the 4.2 only once or twice, long ago.

vwfye
04-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Well... 45lbs is NOT what my 4.2si and my swing like! Oh well... it was an experiment. Back to 55lbs next time.

Ronaldo
04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Gee wiz, Ashaway Liberty at 58# loses its tension so quickly that it has to be cut out. 45#, forgetaboutit.

vwfye
04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
i use and love Liberty... no need to change, just didn't like that tension. i can still hit with it, just don't like it.

DaveDe78
05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I used to use Ashaway Crossfire 16 in my 4.2 si's. I strung the kevlar mains at 58 and the synthetic gut cross at 59. Stiff as hell and I loved it. Still can't find anything close to that racquet in feel.

ZandyMan
05-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I have two of these sticks if anyone is interested.

Alex@domainernation.com

Centered
05-02-2010, 10:53 PM
A stiffer racquet is the Prince More Game mp

DaveDe78
05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
OK, I've responded to this thread a couple of times and I have to make one more post. I recently just switched racquets, and I am playing with what I feel is the closest thing to the great 4.2's I'm going to find. The New BLX 6.1 95. It was completely random how I stumbled on this. When I started playing again almost 2 years ago I bought the K6.1 95's as they were the closest racquets spec wise to the 4.2's, but they never felt right, they just didn't feel solid, like they were there. Off center hits made it twist real easily, and it felt like it didn't have the control the Pro Staff line is famous for. I messed with string tension (I always have and always will use Ashaway Crossfire) and that did nothing, I added lead to the 3&9 and that made it feel more stable and solid, but still didn't have the right feel of control and being there.
I then switched to the K6.1 Tour 90 and it felt world better, still a little unstable but I added lead tape and it felt great. From there I went to the KPS 88 which had that amazing stable solid feel that I was looking for. The only problem with the KPS is the weight and balance, if you don't have the strength and technique you're going to be in trouble, I was lucky I had the strength and it fit my strokes perfectly and I was playing great. Cut to the last month or so, I did something to my shoulder, and I have bicep tendonitis, so now I'm having problems getting the KPS88 around, especially with my back hand.
I got frustrated and started playing with the 95 again cause it was the only one I felt I could get around on my back hand with the arm trouble I was having, but it still didn't feel right to me so I kept going back to the KPS88 and kept aggravating my shoulder. I noticed that one of my 95's had a hairline crack on the throat, so I sent it back to Wilson. They said they weren't going to replace it, we asked for it back and then they changed their mind, but they didn't have any K-Factor 95's so they sent a BLX 6.1 95 instead. I tried to sell it for a week, but one day I got frustrated not being able to swing the racquet and hit the ball the way I want that I decided to just string up the BLX and give it a shot. Now is the point I'd say long story short, but we're way past that. It was/is awesome. Instantly I felt connected to the racquet like I hadn't been in years, it's solid, feels great, it feels like its "there" when I hit the ball, it's maneuverable. The sweet spot feels a little smaller and a little less power then the old 4.2, but looser strings could help that, other then that, it feels like the 4.2 did, and I will never forget how those 4.2's feel.
I recently played a tournament, I lost in the first round, but that's cause I played the guy who won the whole thing, and I was just crap. I'm still having shoulder trouble and my shots are out of sorts, and I made the ultimate mistake of getting frustrated and trying to switch racquets in the middle of the match trying to figure out whats wrong. I played with the KPS88, the BLX 95 and my K6.1 Tour 90. Out of all of them, I did and felt best with the BLX. I've noticed I had problems at the net with the KPS88, and my slice backhand approach shot down the line had a tendency to float, this is mainly because the KPS88 is not very maneuverable, relatively speaking. With the BLX I hit a perfect backhand slice approach down the line, and peeled off a touch drop shot volley like the ones I used to fire at will when I played juniors.
It was like being home again. After that match, even though I lost I'll heal and be able to play again like I was, and a little throw away doubles, I knew that this is it. I can't count how many racquets and how many brands I've tried looking for the one that felt like the 4.2si, and while this isn't exact, it's as close as anything is going to get. Like I said, the only difference for me is a little less power and smaller sweet spot. I have one 4.2 left, and unfortunately it's cracked, but they weigh the same and have the same balance. I got 2 more matched to the numbers of the one I got from Wilson from TW and they are all exactly the same. If you want that old ProStaff Classic 4.2 feel, and can accept a little less power this is it. Short of finding a barn with a bunch of 4.2's and the occasional used and abused on the bay, I don't think you're going to do much better.
I think the best way for me to sum it all up is I bought matching numbers racquets, and I am now selling all my other racquets, short of a K6.1 tour 90 and KPS88 I'm keeping for nostalgia and sentiment. If you want something that feels like the 4.2, and I've been looking for 2 straight years now, this is the best I've found, and the first one that's felt right. Congrats to Wilson, they made a Winner, and when they go to the new line, whatever it may be, I am going to stock up on this frame.
Hope all that helps. Good luck in your quest

DaveDe78
05-10-2010, 08:19 PM
One more thing i want to add to what I just wrote, don't worry this will be short. Besides the weight and balance being identical, and I do mean identical, they are 2 grams apart, the mold also looks the same. Something always seemed off to me with the mold for the K6.1 and N6.1 compared to the old Pro Staff Classic 4.2 and 6.1, it just didn't look right, the grommet holes were slightly off, and the throat especially didn't look right. I just took a really close look between the BLX 6.1 and my old, and unfortunately cracked, PSC 4.2, and they are identical to me as far as the mold looks. So that's one more in the win column as far as I'm concerned.

vwfye
05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Sweet! That's good to know...

DaveDe78
05-17-2010, 09:53 AM
So, just wanted to give you an update. I've been playing with these racquets a lot the last couples weeks, and they are amazing. Everything I've been missing from other racquets. Like I said before, the only difference between the BLX 95's and the PSC 4.2's is the 4.2 was a little stiffer and had a bit more power, but there is plenty of power with this racquet.
The more I play with them, the more I realize what I was able to do with the 4.2's and I am seeing it come through in the BLX 95. I used to be a great serve and volley player, but when I started playing again my volley was garbage, since switching to the BLX, I'm peeling of the prettiest touch volleys, great angles, putting away the shots I hadn't been. I feel like I have control again and I'm comfortable being at the net. And I've re-found my huge topspin forehand and I can rip my backhand cross court at will, and I've got these great angle I haven't been hitting for a while.
Also I've been able to stay in these long 20 plus shot rallies with retrievers who get the ball back, but not just push, I'm not getting tired after a 5-6 shots like I was with the KPS88. That was a big problem with pushers who just got the ball back, after a long rally I just couldn't get through the ball and I was losing to pushers which was pi$$ing me off like you wouldn't believe. It's become much easier for me to move the guy around and put the ball where I want.
My only problem with this racquet so far is I am having a couple problems with my serve, when it's in it's great, but I'm missing a bit, I think it has to do with the fact that I switched to hitting a more flat serve with the KPS88 and haven't fully gotten back the kick I used to hit so well when I was a junior, I'm sure I'll adjust and I'll have my serve back in form, which has always been my biggest weapon. I played yesterday and only got broken once to a guy who lately would've beat me. I broke him 4 times to win 6-3, 7-5.
I'm going to end all my posts on this subject by saying this. I stopped playing 13 years ago and didn't realize how big a deal that PSC 4.2 was. I've been looking on and off for something like it since, and when I started playing seriously again almost 2 years ago I was frantic to find something that felt anywhere near as good, nothing came close to feeling right, till now. If you haven't played with anything other then the PCS 4.2 then I suggest you cut out the strings, go get it weighed and balanced, and ask TW to send you 3 racquets with those exact same numbers without the strings and insert. Have them strung 2 lbs less then you strung your PSC and you'll barely notice the difference, and after a week or 2 you'll forget you switched. If you've been playing with something else since the 4.2's then ask TW to get you a couple sticks that unstrung are 334g and 12.5 pt's HL and when you start playing it'll feel like reconnecting with your best childhood friend. Short of having a time machine and stocking up on frames, this is the best thing out there for anyone who loved the PSC 4.2 and 6.1 frames. Good luck.

petercoffey
05-17-2010, 10:42 PM
So the 16 18 or the 18 20

DaveDe78
05-18-2010, 03:58 PM
16x18, strung with Ashaway Crossfire 16 at 55 mains and 57 crosses. I used to string my PSC 4.2 si with the same blend at 57/59.

Don't Let It Bounce
05-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Don't know if this is modern enough to count, but the Gamma Tradition 20 apparently had the following specs (taken from somebody's auction page), and that would make it a stiff, heavy, thin-beamed 95:

SW 348
Wt 358 gms
Head 95
27 inches long
Flex 72
Beam 20 mm
32 cm Bal

meowmix
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
If anybody's still looking for HPS 5.0's, raquetguy on the bay has them.