PDA

View Full Version : What tension for Bab PHT?

Djlpenguin
04-01-2010, 07:04 AM
I hav a pure drive gt and i wanted to string it with bab pro hurricane tour at 60 pounds. Im a baseliner, and i heard it drops tension really quick. so if i want the tension at about 60, how high should i string it?

Fedace
04-01-2010, 08:20 AM
60-62 lbs is good. It also goes dead after about 6-8 hours of play. If in hot humid weather, may go dead even sooner. but it is a very nice string when freshly strung. that is why i am getting 18 G PHT. I figure it will be dead by the time i break it. but i use 16G multi string X-1 in the crosses.

JT_2eighty
04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Remember although it goes "dead" quick and loses tension, the way it goes dead is that it actually gets stiffer, i.e. it loses the little bit of elasticity it had when fresh. I'd say 6 hours max if you're lucky. Might as well use the 18g for that same reason so it just breaks around the right time. You can probably find better co-polys that last a bit longer with similar playability, as Babolat is getting pricey, but we all have our own likes.

Djlpenguin
04-01-2010, 03:45 PM
so 60 lbs?

Delano
04-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Are you fairly new to the PD and poly strings? I went from a Prince Graphite Mid+ and synthetic gut to a PDR with a poly hybrid (PH and XCel). The transition was fine, and it helps to have a poly in such a powerful frame, but I really kept the tension too high at first. Like a lot of POG players, I preferred very high tensions - 67lbs, but that was with synthetic gut and a somewhat more flexible grame. At first, I strung the poly in the PDR at 62lbs. It was ok, but eventually my arm hurt.

Now, I've actually gone as low as 54lbs with the hurricane, and it really is ok. It's sometimes a little hard for people who come from other string types to believe how low you can get away with stringing poly - (this is why I was asking if you're using poly for the first time, as opposed to just switching from a different type of poly).

Delano
04-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh, and btw, a lot of people won't think that 54 is especially low. It is for me, but a lot of poly users go considerably lower than this.

Djlpenguin
04-01-2010, 05:50 PM
yeah its my first time usin poly. I'm restringing because my srtings lost thier pop and were really too lose. they were at 56 lbs. that's why im hesitant to drop lower than 55. btw, just me being stupid, is luxilon big banger original poly? i dont think so, and im to lazy to look it up.

JT_2eighty
04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
yeah its my first time usin poly. I'm restringing because my srtings lost thier pop and were really too lose. they were at 56 lbs. that's why im hesitant to drop lower than 55. btw, just me being stupid, is luxilon big banger original poly? i dont think so, and im to lazy to look it up.

I wouldn't use PHT if I were you. It will lose it's playability after 6 hours or so. Poly strings can be strung as low as 30 lbs with success, some even lower. Lux big banger is one of the first polys that created the current poly craze. If you really want to try polys, try one of the ones that are made to hold their tension: Signum Pro Plasma, Weisscannon (all of them get good marks), or Topspin Cyberflash, or Kirschbaum, etc etc.

Run a search on "tension maintenance polyester poly" or similar. There are a ton a threads about just that. Babolats tend to die fast, unless you like to get your racquet restrung every week, same with Lux. They are among the best, but after 4-6 hours of use, among the worst.