PDA

View Full Version : Athens Olympics tennis was way down from Sydney Olympic tennis because?

federerhoogenbandfan
05-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I found the tennis much better at the Sydney Olympics than the Athens Olympics, is that because the Sydney Olympics which were the greatest Olympics of all time, were simply a superior Olympics to the pretty good Athens games; or is it due to the fact interest level in tennis as an Olympic sport is ever dwindling, as people see more and more how silly it is. I was cranky while watching the Sydney Olympics since none of my favorite athletes did well at all, yet even so I still enjoyed watching the tennis, and could sense the air of excitment around it even on tv so it must have been there.

I remember the Williams-Williams vs Oremans/Boogert womens double final, in Sydney was a joke. Williams-Williams win almost all their doubles titles on the main tour, but even when they win by easy scores they have to play more focused, serious, and commited than they did in that match. Oremans/Boogert never made it past the quarters of any doubles grand slam, unless I am mistaken. Anybody who watches a big final like that can probably tell how silly Olympic tennis is to begin with, and was less inclined to watch it next time around.

scoot
05-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Tennis has no place in the Olympics. The Olympics should be for athletes who train their whole lives to compete at the highest level only once every 4 years. Even if one considers an Olympic gold akin to winning a slam (which I dont) its unfair that in an Olympic year tennis players have 5 chances to win a slam equivalent while ice skaters, gymnasts etc. have 1 chance every 4 years.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I agree. Tennis players have 4 Olympics a year, it is not fair to other athletes who have only 1 every 4 years for tennis to be there. The Olympics are the pinnacle of an athlete's sport or career, in other sports. It just does not fit. I would also take basketball, mens baseball, and many other pro sports out of the summer Olympics.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-07-2005, 06:36 PM
How dare people ignore one of my boards. I am an extremely special individual and deserve more kind of caring treatment. :) Naw, I just felt like bringing up a sinking ship, to give it a second chance, next time I will let it sink.

Haka Boy
05-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Donít let the opinions sink you federhoogenbandfan, the Sydney Olympics was simply the best ever held and not a reflection of the game of tennis.

jimakros
05-08-2005, 03:13 AM
The discussion about which sports should be in the Olympics is very interesting and i have my own theories and opinions about it,but i think the subject of this thread is more specific.
I am greek and i live in Athens and i was at most of the events.Tennis was not very successfull in Athens because of various reasons.
The most important IMO is that tennis unfortunately its not a well known or popular sport in Greece.So it did not attract local crowds.There were many americans who would probably have created better atmosphere but they were all at the swimming pool, which is a few hundred yards away.I think Roddick noticed that and said its only normal since people see a lot of tennis all year long but only get to see the top swimmers in the Olympics.
The poof for this is the excitement that was present in the basketball games,a popular sport in greece,where practically all games were sold out.
Even american players were impressed by the attendance and excitement
even though this was not one of their better tournaments.
As far as interest for tennis fans,also there were many players missing.
Again,lets not forget the HUGE uncalled-for pre-olympic negative publicity,about terrorist dangers and such nonsence that kept many people away from the Athens Olympics,and probably tennis fans which are mostly from western countries.
I think however that these excellent installations which now exist should be
used to create some tournament and make much more popular tennis in Greece in the future.

Thomas
05-08-2005, 04:03 AM
Maybe broadcasting? I barely saw any tennis at the Athens Olympics.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-08-2005, 07:55 AM
The discussion about which sports should be in the Olympics is very interesting and i have my own theories and opinions about it,but i think the subject of this thread is more specific.
I am greek and i live in Athens and i was at most of the events.Tennis was not very successfull in Athens because of various reasons.
The most important IMO is that tennis unfortunately its not a well known or popular sport in Greece.So it did not attract local crowds.There were many americans who would probably have created better atmosphere but they were all at the swimming pool, which is a few hundred yards away.I think Roddick noticed that and said its only normal since people see a lot of tennis all year long but only get to see the top swimmers in the Olympics.
The poof for this is the excitement that was present in the basketball games,a popular sport in greece,where practically all games were sold out.
Even american players were impressed by the attendance and excitement
even though this was not one of their better tournaments.
As far as interest for tennis fans,also there were many players missing.
Again,lets not forget the HUGE uncalled-for pre-olympic negative publicity,about terrorist dangers and such nonsence that kept many people away from the Athens Olympics,and probably tennis fans which are mostly from western countries.
I think however that these excellent installations which now exist should be
used to create some tournament and make much more popular tennis in Greece in the future.

Jimakros thanks for your views. As an Athens native you really have the inside edge on it that I was hoping somebody might be able to give me.

Noelle
05-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Maybe broadcasting? I barely saw any tennis at the Athens Olympics.
I barely did, too. While North American audiences may have been lucky because NBC was doing its own Olympics broadcast over 3 channels (and covered many sports, including tennis, as a result), the rest of the world wasn't as lucky. The official Olympic broadcast (the one a local channel paid millions for in order to get the rights to broadcast) didn't contain as much tennis as I wanted. In fact, I think they showed only the final of the men's singles.