PDA

View Full Version : Rafa appears to know English better than this reporter (press conference)

Ledigs
04-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Q. Ian Tiriac said this week that he doesn't understand why you don't play Madrid. The tournament will continue to be a great tournament without you. What's your opinion?
RAFAEL NADAL: Ian Tiriac probably doesn't know if I play Madrid, or not because it's in my schedule, so...

The reporter asking the question should have said, "Ian Tiriac said this week that he doesn't understand why you play Madrid"

abraxas21
04-01-2010, 02:42 PM
The reporter asking the question should have said, "Ian Tiriac said this week that he doesn't understand why you play Madrid"

I don't think Tiriac would ever say that. What kind of TD would he be to advice the most famous player in Spain not to play his tournament?

Ledigs
04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Like I said, the reporter doesn't know what he is saying

Mustard
04-01-2010, 02:46 PM
What this about? :confused:

aldeayeah
04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Last question from this interview with Tiriac (http://www.as.com/tenis/articulo/tenis-nadal-madrid-seguiria-siendo/dasten/20100327dasdaiten_1/Tes)

Q: Are you concerned about the possibility of Nadal not coming? (to Madrid masters)

A: Why wouldn't he come? Injury problems? I only know that ATP, through the prize money and the ranking points we give, guarantees us the participation of all players. We will be honored by Nadal's presence, but even if he didn't come, this would still be a very big event.

He also talks about blue clay (not this year but definitely in the future, he says), the future of the tournament, etc.

So what the journalist was probably trying to say is "he doesn't understand why you wouldn't play Madrid". And Tiriac wants him to play and is thinks he will play bar any injuries.

Ledigs
04-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Last question from this interview with Tiriac (http://www.as.com/tenis/articulo/tenis-nadal-madrid-seguiria-siendo/dasten/20100327dasdaiten_1/Tes)

Q: Are you concerned about the possibility of Nadal not coming? (to Madrid masters)

A: Why wouldn't he come? Injury problems? I only know that ATP, through the prize money and the ranking points we give, guarantees us the participation of all players. We will be honored by Nadal's presence, but even if he didn't come, this would still be a very big event.

He also talks about blue clay (not this year but definitely in the future, he says), the future of the tournament, etc.

So what the journalist was probably trying to say is "he doesn't understand why you wouldn't play Madrid". And Tiriac wants him to play and is thinks he will play bar any injuries.

well that makes a heck of a lot more sense

reversef
04-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Tiriac's words IMO come from his big fear: Nadal could indeed skip Madrid. Last year, he was very vocal about the fact that he didn't like Madrid's tournament in the schedule. He didn't say that because he lost. It was in the beginning of the week and he looked unhappy to be there: he didn't like that the conditions were so different compared to RG (surface, altitude), he didn't like the fact that it was played so close in so different conditions. After what happened last year, Tiriac fears that Rafa could skip the tournament if he played a lot on clay before. Of course, Nadal can't say "I don't play Madrid" now, it's a mandatory tournament. What he can do is skip from it for exhaustion or injury. Not very good for Tiriac, of course. He made a clay tournament of Madrid, just to see that the biggest spanish player doesn't like the new tournament.

aldeayeah
04-02-2010, 05:29 AM
double post delete

aldeayeah
04-02-2010, 05:31 AM
To be honest, both Nadal and Tiriac are screwed by the calendar. The big clay tournaments are all compressed together in a few weeks...

Tiriac actually wanted to switch dates with Rome, he talks about it in the same interview.

He also says that even though Federer and Nadal don't like blue clay, most other players have nothing against it, and that it's the way to go.

Sentinel
04-02-2010, 05:34 AM
How arrogant of Tiriac to suggest his tournament will be great without Nadal. Maybe he's been seeing too many Federer post-match interviews.

:lol:

dmt
04-02-2010, 05:41 AM
I think rafa might pull out of madrid this time, i dont want him overplaying himself. I think he should play Monte Carlo and Rome. Madrid is not a good practice for roland garros, and nadal shouldnt play either madrid or barcelona. But ofcourse since Madrid is a mandatory tournament, Nadal can't say anything right now, so i hope he doesnt play there this time. IMO it isnt good for his roland garros preperation and i want him to lift the trophy at the french once again

Mustard
04-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Hamburg should never have been demoted. Apart from the Nadal vs. Djokovic match, last year's Madrid tournament was extremely mediocre and the conditions were the weirdest I've ever seen.

clayman2000
04-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Personally, I would like to see Madrid as the 1st clay masters, being optional. Its the fastest clay court, and would give guys like Roddick a chance to get used to the dirt, while not compromising their style too much.

Then go to Rome, which is a lot slower, but still fairly fast, shown as Roddick is a 2 time SF'ist.

Then go to Monte Carlo, right after Rome. Its closest in conditions to RG.

Then have 2 weeks of 250's, then RG

Justin Side
04-02-2010, 06:11 AM
I think rafa might pull out of madrid this time, i dont want him overplaying himself.

It's possible. Rafa used to skip the Hamburg Masters some years cause he was tired after running the table at Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome. Madrid has replaced Hamburg as the last Masters event before Roland Garros, so it wouldn't be a shock to see Rafa skip it some years.

Chris Rizutto
04-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Many people claim language barrier when they know good and well what you are saying. Maybe they just don't want to talk to that person or at that time.

samprasvsfederer123
04-02-2010, 06:52 AM
wtf wtf wtf?

Ledigs
04-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Many people claim language barrier when they know good and well what you are saying. Maybe they just don't want to talk to that person or at that time.

Ha! Also a great point

aldeayeah
04-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Personally, I would like to see Madrid as the 1st clay masters[...]

Then go to Rome, which is a lot slower, but still fairly fast, shown as Roddick is a 2 time SF'ist.

Then go to Monte Carlo, right after Rome. Its closest in conditions to RG.

Then have 2 weeks of 250's, then RG
Right. They could fit Barcelona (500), which is in similar conditions to Monte Carlo, in those last two weeks. Stop this madness!

In Madrid there's a combination of elevation and low humidity that makes balls fly really high and clay dry really fast. It's not a surface that most players are used to.

On the other hand, this senseless schedule makes the clay season more interesting in a way, as it undermines Nadal's dominance.