PDA

View Full Version : ANY 4.5 NTRP RATED AND UP use cheap strings?

monkeyisland90
04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
When I mean 4.5 rating i mean computer rated (not self rated) and above use any cheaper strings and worked well instead of using pricier reputable strings.... i've been playing with gamma live wire and sometimes use cheap synthetic guts and the synthetic guts seem to work well for me.. just durability breaks quicker but performance it feels great and hits deep with pace..

i'm 4.0 player but i play lot of 4.5 players also..

Rabbit
04-01-2010, 04:12 PM
There are quite a few guys I play with who use PSG-Original and PSG-Duraflex. There are some others who use Kevlar/SynGut and even more who use the poly that costs $4/set.

OrangeOne
04-01-2010, 04:14 PM
From memory, Justine Henin and Davydenko are probably over 4.5 and using cheap stuff.

I'll stand corrected by a string geek, but from memory, they're using nothing special.

InsideOutBackhand
04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I have a 4.5 rated (formerly 5.0) friend that uses PSGD 16 as his standard setup. He is control-oriented all court player using Volkl PB 10 mid. He seems to be satisfied with his current string setup. But I know he usually cuts them out and restrings after only a few sets. He always restrings before league/tournament matches.

armsty
04-01-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd be self rated 4.0 I think, although how I played this last week I could match it with a 4.5 I would think. I've been using MSV Focus Hex/MSV Q10 Multi. Don't know if you'd consider that cheap.

Toad
04-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm a computer rated 4.5...I use Ashaway Kevlar 18/Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 17. With my reels of both it comes out to about $4.50 per racket for strings, and it is good until it breaks around 13 hours. I don't play with it because it is cheap, I play with it because I have yet to find anything that works better for my game...and believe me...I have tried very hard to find something better than Kevlar.

AC Tennis
04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I just got bumped up by the USTA to 4.5, so I guess I qualify for your survey. I use Pro Supex Maximum Touch 17g, which is about $8. And sometimes I hybred it with Pro Supex Syn Gut Titan, which is $3 a set, so a full set up would be $5.50. Works for me.

statetennis09
04-01-2010, 07:11 PM
My dad is a 4.5 (computer rated), and he has been playing at this level for at least 10 years now. His normal setup is Kirschbaum Super Smash Spiky on the mains, and Gamma Syn Gut with Duraflex on the crosses. Sometimes he uses just the syn gut. He figures he will use whatever they put in his racquet. :)

couch
04-01-2010, 07:13 PM
A lot of guys I play with use PSGD. They are all 4.5-5.0. It's just a good all-around string that does everything well. A lot of them don't care that much and just want a nice synthetic gut. The PSGD does the trick and with the added kevlar strands it adds a little bit of durability and crispness.

drummerdan
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I am a 4.5 and I use Genesis Black Magic. Only about $5 a set from a reel. I call that cheap, especially for the performance.

000KFACTOR90000
04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
From memory, Justine Henin and Davydenko are probably over 4.5 and using cheap stuff.

I'll stand corrected by a string geek, but from memory, they're using nothing special.

Henin uses the most expensive string - gut.

Hi I'm Ray
04-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi, I've seen some of your other posts and it seems you are quite concerned about how string choices would affect your game. I don't know what my rating is nowadays but I used to play for a competitive college tennis about 9 years ago, so I'm guessing I should've been a at least a solid 4.5-5.0 (vs the usual self over-estimated 4.5's). IMO I quite honestly think there isn't as huge of a difference in strings as some ppl would have you believe. Some play stiffer, livelier, softer, or more/less durable; they feel different but I didn't see that they actually affected game play that much. I didn't even think 18g Kevlar Mains in a hybrid made that much of a differenc except for having slightly less power. For me, an adjustment in tension can compensate for a lot, so to me it mainly just came down to feel, durability, and cost. I tried a lot of different strings and they neither helped nor hurt my game, they just felt different. A lot of guys on my team didn't worry much about strings either, most of them just used whatever syn-gut was available & didn't cost too much. After trying out a lot of different strings, I just settled on what felt good (I tend to like soft feeling strings) played fine, and wasn't eating up a bunch of cash - which surprisingly was cheap stuff in the $4-$1.50 range. I never used poly though, as I don't think they were all that popular back then.

In a blind test, if you got two rackets strung with different syn-guts, 1 expensive, 1 cheap and compensated tension so that they both had about the same power, I think you(or most ppl) would either A)play the same with both, or B) play a little better/more confident with the one that feels better. I would be really surprised if one string hurt your game or dramatically improved it.

Just decide on what you want first: a firmer string bed, a livelier string bed, durability, or feel and go from there. Cheap or expensive, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I'm not trying to be cheap here either, I just use what works - I've dropped 15k on camera equipment because it actually DOES make a difference, so a few bucks in string cost difference isn't going to sway me.

cjk1026
04-02-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm rated 4.5 and captain an Open team (I only play as a backup and usually get my butt kicked). I switch back and forth between gut and poly. Most of the really good players on the Open team use poly or syn gut. Some use Lux and others use a cheaper poly. The 2 best players (both 6.0) use middle of the road synthetic. But, both of them are flat hitters.

I string for more than a few 5.0+ players and almost to a man they agree that having fresh string seems to be the biggest factor in string performance when using poly. Everyone has been very happy with the Cyberflash and Cyberblue I've put in their racquets.

PBODY99
04-02-2010, 07:57 AM
I string for several player who use PSGD or its clones. The bigger factor seems to be fresh strings.

Chris Rizutto
04-02-2010, 08:01 AM
A lot of guys I play with use PSGD. They are all 4.5-5.0. It's just a good all-around string that does everything well. A lot of them don't care that much and just want a nice synthetic gut. The PSGD does the trick and with the added kevlar strands it adds a little bit of durability and crispness.

You must be referring to Prince Pro Blend.

dekko1
04-02-2010, 09:48 AM
I am currently testing strings, and I can tell you that I'll eventually buy some cheaper (no more than $100 for 200m) strings. When I was playing Futures, lot of players playing with cheaper Polyester strings, strings like Kirschbaum Super Smash, Signum Pro strings were quite popular.
There are quite a few good cheap strings that you should try, test some polyester strings and some hybrids.
On the more expensive strings, you are paying for the material and technology involved in making them, and not always they'll be great strings. Sometimes simple is better.

alb1
04-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Have always used cheap strings. PSG, Gamma Synthetic, Forten Sweet, Gosen Sheep Micro. Currently topping the $5 a set price with Gamma Gut 2.

2handsbothsides
04-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Fresh strings are a must. My game requires an arm friendly performance setup and no polys. The best playing low cost setup and my primary go to strings are Prince Premier Softflex main and Forten Sweet (natural) cross. Total string cost is $7. Compares favorably with any full multi setup and even some gut hybrids.

downs_chris
04-02-2010, 10:52 AM
cyber flash is pretty cheap in reel form...under $4...it's been goto, until i rediscovered Big Banger Ace...

Larrysümmers
04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
not sure of my rating but i play number one for varsity and i used to use gosen polyon ice,
but now i switched to gut in the mains due to some unexpected elbow pain. but still using polyon ice in the crosses

film1
04-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Davydenko has taken it to Fed a couple of times with inexpensive string.

CrispyFritters
04-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm USTA 4.5. I use full Gosen 18, $2 / set. But it's not actually cheaper, because I have to restring about every 3 hours.

Jason

monkeyisland90
04-04-2010, 10:09 AM
so i use synthetic gut over many other strings and seems like the monofilment feels better with more power (prince synthetic original) but it goes bit dead after 3 hrs or so...

So is synthetic guts best for power, control and feel but lasting short time is the drawback.... i've tried more expensive strings and doesn't seem like it has more power or feel as cheap strings as this.. maybe just preference i guess

Cross-court
04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I use Wilson Enduro Pro 16. They have worked very well to me but I always feel I am using inferior strings all the time because I don't know jack about them.

dmsick
04-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm a computer rated 4.5 and use cheap natural gut (global). It's not really cheap compared to synthetic but cheap compared to babolat or other brand name gut. I was previously using black code and BBO for about the same price as global gut. Bad case of TE caused the change but I'm never going back.

Haruimi
04-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm 4.5 rated due to College competition and I use Topspin Cyber Blue and Golden Set's Torque 16 (As a hybrid it comes out to about $6 a string job without the price of stringing since I string my own frames)

There's plenty of players out there too who are 4.0 and above and string their own frames and use cheap string to save money, in fact for a lot of players there's very little difference to them between Luxilon TiMO 117 and some cheap non-name brand string comparison that comes out to 1/3rd the price (I only used that string as an example)

TearSNFX
04-06-2010, 08:00 AM
When I mean 4.5 rating i mean computer rated (not self rated) and above use any cheaper strings and worked well instead of using pricier reputable strings.... i've been playing with gamma live wire and sometimes use cheap synthetic guts and the synthetic guts seem to work well for me.. just durability breaks quicker but performance it feels great and hits deep with pace..

i'm 4.0 player but i play lot of 4.5 players also..

I feel you have to achieve a certain level to really bring out the strings potential, maybe 5.0 +. But these differences are minute enough that I wouldn't spend the extra 10 ~ 20 dollars unless I was actually playing tournaments again and earning through tournament play. Playing with friends and students I'm happy with Polylon SP 17 + Gosen Micro 17.

The only string that I can say helped one of my tournament student was Natural Gut VS 17. He had trouble with running forehands when he was using a economical synthetic gut but now he uses VS Main RPM Blast cross and I can see the differences visibly.

1540tennis
04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
In college I used to string with anything that was given to me... But my favorite hybrid at the time was Ashaway Crossfire II with Forten 15L Nylon! Had to be done with the 14x18 Graphite II pattern!