PDA

View Full Version : Tourna Grip Newsflash!

Tournagrip
04-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Tourna Grip is now available in the Middle East & Africa!

Tourna Grip and the world renown Unique Sports line which consist of hundreds of tennis and sport accessories are now available throughout the Middle Eastern and African markets. View: http://www.tournagrip.org

drakulie
04-02-2010, 09:50 AM
why are the grips shorter than they were a few years ago??? and yet the price has gone up?

The standard length barely covers the entire girp. I have to buy the extended length because of this, and it is even more expensive?

what gives???.

Rorsach
04-02-2010, 10:02 AM
why are the grips shorter than they were a few years ago??? and yet the price has gone up?

The standard length barely covers the entire girp. I have to buy the extended length because of this, and it is even more expensive?

what gives???.

You've kinda answered your own questions there.

Tournagrip
04-02-2010, 10:24 AM
The standard grip covers the entire standard grip handle.....and yes, we do have the XL and XXL Tourna Grip for longer grip handles.

Thank you for being a Tourna Grip supporter!!!

drakulie
04-02-2010, 10:28 AM
The standard grip covers the entire standard grip handle.....

No, it doesn't. Not anymore. Wake up and answer my question.

and yes, we do have the XL and XXL Tourna Grip for longer grip handles.

How convenient. You shorten the regular tourna grip in order to force people to buy an "XL", which is the same size a "regular grip" use to be, in order to charge the consumer more money.

Nice, real nice.

I'm switching to pro supex. Their grips are cheaper, just as good, and their standard size grip covers the ENTIRE grip.

cknobman
04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I fully agree with Drakulie here. Tourna grip is the shortest of any manufacturer and 100% DOES NOT COVER THE ENTIRE STANDARD GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For this reason alone I will never buy Tourna grip.

Also if you have ever seen the Bryan Bros. Tourna grip commercial it is clearly apparent that the tourna grip does not cover the entire standard grip. Heck the Bryan bros even hold the racquet a special way to try and cover it up!!!!!!

[d]ragon
04-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I just don't like how the XL isn't really longer, just wider.

mozzer
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Tourna Tac's more than cover the entire grip.

Dags
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM

what gives???.

I guess you'd have to direct such a question to someone from Unique. Ivor here is a distributor at most.

mikro112
04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Guys, this guy is NOT from Tournagrip/Unique.

His company is:

Registrant Name:Ivor Savage
Registrant Organization:IHS Enterprises,LLC
Registrant Street1:1132 Wilmington Island Road
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Savannah
Registrant State/Province:Georgia
Registrant Postal Code:31410
Registrant Country:US

Quote from his facebook page:

Import - export company. We are the exclusive distributor for the Unique Sports line - famous for Tourna Grip in the Middle Eastern & African markets.

drakulie
04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
^^^scary how good some of you internet cia guys are.

mikro112
04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
^^^scary how good some of you internet cia guys are.

lol.

I refrained from posting his facebook profile though! :D

gsquicksilver
04-02-2010, 12:03 PM
i used to use tournagrip, but after they shrunk the lengths, plus i use an L5 grip, i can barely get up to 3/4 the way up the grip.

martini1
04-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I agree. I use the XL and it barely covers a L3 grip. Unless you are suppose to do zero overlap when wrapping, the normal length may be enough.

Federerkblade
04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
for an grip 2, will the standard tournagrip not be enough

ronalditop
04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
The only way a standard lenght Tournagrip could cover the whole handle would be by wrapping it without overlapping.

West Coast Ace
04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
You shorten the regular tourna grip in order to force people to buy an "XL", which is the same size a "regular grip" use to be, in order to charge the consumer more money.Another vote for you. I wondered if I was messing up - could never get it to get even close to the top.

I'm switching to pro supex. Their grips are cheaper, just as good, and their standard size grip covers the ENTIRE grip.Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look for them.

rudester
04-02-2010, 01:44 PM
This is a great forum for exposing this scam, I wonder how long the tourna grip people thought that their shortening of grip length would go unnoticed. I suppose someone somewhere at some time, thought this was a great marketing strategy, as mentioned previously, there are other alternatives to tourna grip.

DrpShot!
04-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Huh? I've been using original TG for 15 years and the length hasn't changed a bit, its always been 99cm x 25mm. The XL version came around years ago I guess to cover longer handles and it more than cover's mine, I don't need it. Tourna Tac is also the XL version and more than covers my handles, I have to trim it.

Kot_Bigemot
04-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I use TG for 2 years now and in order to cover whole grip length, i must stretch the last few inches of the grip and even then it barely covers all handle.
And i buy XL version. It is not longer, it is wider i think.
See, i used to think that i am messing up because i do not stretch it all the way but, now i know it is not me.

armsty
04-02-2010, 06:43 PM
The XL just covers my 4 1/2 with an overgrip then the tournagrip. Stretch as hard as I can plus overlap by <1mm

Ambivalent
04-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I hate tournagrips and always will. How do you guys play with that coarse, dried out rag?

stingstang
04-03-2010, 03:33 AM
XL just about reaches the top if I yank it on my 4 1/2 wilsons

How much did cutting the "dried old rag" (well described!) too short save them, a dime every million? Unbelievably stingy.

I grudgingly buy them when the weathers too sticky for supagraps or dunlop hydratacs, unfortunately they still are the only grip that works

armsty
04-03-2010, 04:14 AM
I buy for the summer period which here in Aus is over so I can go back to WPO's and Supergraps.

Overheadsmash
04-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Gamma Supreme is the best I like that way better. Get it right from TW!!

stoble
04-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Unbelievably stingy.

I agree. Unique is the only company I know of that doesn't give it's customers a one size fits all overgrip. They make 3 sizes BECAUSE it obviously doesn't fit on many handles. For those of you who say it's fine the way it is, then why would they offer 3 sizes?

I use a 4 1/2 with 2 overgrips and even with XL it is VERY difficult to get it to fit over the entire handle of some of my frames. Tournagrip is also not very stretchy and feels best with minimal stretch but the only way I can get it to fit is by stretching the life out of it.

I love the Tournagrip material but whenever I apply one of their overgrips I feel I'm getting short changed, especially since I'm already paying extra for the XL size.

AJK1
04-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I hate tournagrips and always will. How do you guys play with that coarse, dried out rag?

I agree, it sucks bigtime.

TennisNinja
04-03-2010, 05:44 PM
The standard grip covers the entire standard grip handle.....and yes, we do have the XL and XXL Tourna Grip for longer grip handles.

Thank you for being a Tourna Grip supporter!!!

No it doesn't...... Using a 4 3/8 the only way to get it to go up the entire handle is to wrap it with a 1 mm overlap. Literally.

Kick Serve 14
04-03-2010, 06:40 PM
XXL Tourna Grip for longer grip handles...
Where can I find this? I've never seen anyhting bigger than XL...

Kot_Bigemot
04-03-2010, 07:20 PM
It is a simple matter of personal preference. I could ask you same question. How do you play with that white, slippery sh1t?
Some like TG, some like Yonex, some like Wilson.
So why bash people on the head and call names? Just because they prefer something different? Not very wise to say the least.

AJK1
04-04-2010, 03:45 AM
It is a simple matter of personal preference. I could ask you same question. How do you play with that white, slippery sh1t?
Some like TG, some like Yonex, some like Wilson.
So why bash people on the head and call names? Just because they prefer something different? Not very wise to say the least.

You're a bit sensitive!
Everyone has an opinion, get over it.

mozzer
04-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Not sure if tourna tac are longer but i seem to manage to wrap them pretty damn high for my 2hbh

http://i47.tinypic.com/v8da29.jpg

stoble
04-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Not sure if tourna tac are longer but i seem to manage to wrap them pretty damn high for my 2hbh

Tournatac is longer and much stretchier. We are talking about the original.

AJK1
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM

http://i47.tinypic.com/v8da29.jpg

Jeez, that grip looks like a lumpy mess!

TennisKid1
04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Where can I find this? I've never seen anyhting bigger than XL...

If you go to the unique website they sell xxl and apparently a 30 pack is 54.99..... Guess I'm not getting shoes anytime soon.....

stoble
04-04-2010, 06:21 PM
If you go to the unique website they sell xxl and apparently a 30 pack is 54.99..... Guess I'm not getting shoes anytime soon.....

Get the shoes... Paying 55 for 30 grips is crazy. Don't do it man. Power to the People Brother!

austinjbrunner
04-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I can get a reg. tournagrip around my racket, but by stretching it a lot. XL usually work fine, but I have pretty small grips on my rackets. All are 3's or 2's.

Lefty5
04-05-2010, 07:31 AM
I know people like Blake and Karlovic demand the shorter length because they don't like a lot of overlap. On the flip side, Roddick and Isner demand the XXL length. I think the XL is more than enough for the average joe as long as you wrap it right. Exposing a scam? That seems a little far fetched as I've also been using it for my whole life and nothing has changed.

adaan
04-08-2010, 03:01 AM
TG not just shorter, for those of you who use TG in the past decade would know that TG has got thinner, and less durable.. It shreds just after a few use and back then, TG was known to be extreamly durable.. It's just sad to see another good thing goes bad. I am no longer a loyal TG user..

SFrazeur
04-08-2010, 04:18 AM
I've been using Tourna Grip for the past 10 year and have not noticed a difference in length/width or quality. Same greatness.

-SF

ChevyTennis
04-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Wilson Pro Overgrip is far superior now IMO and Wilson is more the generous with the length of each wrap which is welcome coming from Tournagrip!

Kot_Bigemot
04-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Wilson Pro Overgrip is far superior now IMO and Wilson is more the generous with the length of each wrap which is welcome coming from Tournagrip!
Yeah, it is good for winter. But summer time Wilson starts to slip. So far nothing absorbs as good as TG.

Cup8489
04-08-2010, 07:56 AM

you're comparing apples to oranges. wilson pro is a tacky overgrip, and while alot of people here say it's 'absorbent', i have yet to find the wilson pro they are talking about, because mine get wet and slick within 10 minutes. Tourna grip is designed for sweat absorbency, and in this regard there is no other competitor. Wilson pro is nice to look at, and stretches well, but nothing beats Tourna grip for absorption. I have once accidently spilled a water over my racket, including the tourna grip wrapped handle, and it dried on its own within 2 minutes. so yeah, in my opinion, i'll deal with the price and size issues because tourna grip works.

fantom
04-08-2010, 08:18 AM
If you all used Whatagrip you wouldn't have this problem. Plus, the grip actually gets longer the more you use it.

heheheh

Hidious
04-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I need clarification. Some say Tourna Grip has changed over the years (shorter, slimmer, etc) while others say they have been using it for years and everything is still the same.

So who's right and who's seeing things?

OKUSA
04-08-2010, 09:56 AM
i can get the regular at the top for 2-handed backhand. very little overlap and stretching it as hard as i can all the way around. maybe too much work just for a grip though

OKUSA
04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
i just gripped my babolat apdc and even had some left over, this is a 4 1/2 grip with 2 overgrips already under it. don't know how you people grip your racquets but it seems to work fine

http://www.picsend.net/thumbs/37182toirna33.JPG ('http://www.picsend.net/viewer.php?id=37182toirna33.JPG')

Azzurri
04-08-2010, 04:33 PM

confused. how long did you play TG for? TG is a grip all by itself, while there are grips that feel like Pro (Supergrap, babolat VS, etc.). Your post is odd, if you did not like TG then why did you play it?

Azzurri
04-08-2010, 04:34 PM
i just gripped my babolat apdc and even had some left over, this is a 4 1/2 grip with 2 overgrips already under it. don't know how you people grip your racquets but it seems to work fine

http://www.picsend.net/thumbs/37182toirna33.JPG ('http://www.picsend.net/viewer.php?id=37182toirna33.JPG')

I have to cut 1/2-1 inch off of mine. I have a YTPMP and have more than enough and I use regular TG.

ronalditop
04-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I have to cut 1/2-1 inch off of mine. I have a YTPMP and have more than enough and I use regular TG.

That's because Head racquets have the shortest handles among all brands.

ChevyTennis
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
confused. how long did you play TG for? TG is a grip all by itself, while there are grips that feel like Pro (Supergrap, babolat VS, etc.). Your post is odd, if you did not like TG then why did you play it?

I played with Tournagrip for 10+ years because that was what I was used to until I found Wilson's Pro Overgrips. I never said I didn't like it- I just found something that was far better IMO.

Azzurri
04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
That's because Head racquets have the shortest handles among all brands.

they do? hmmm, I tend to switch out synthetic grips for leather ones and the YTPMP was a perfect fit (used them on Wilson racquets). Even when I used Wilson frames, I never had an issue w/length.

Azzurri
04-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I played with Tournagrip for 10+ years because that was what I was used to until I found Wilson's Pro Overgrips. I never said I didn't like it- I just found something that was far better IMO.

OK, I understand but you now claim you played TG for 10 years and that is a very long time. The TG and Pro are totally different grips and yet the PRO is so much better for you. You are new here, but the TG and Pro arguement has been going on for years and your "reason" is just another typical BS comment about TG.

ChevyTennis
04-08-2010, 05:15 PM
OK, I understand but you now claim you played TG for 10 years and that is a very long time. The TG and Pro are totally different grips and yet the PRO is so much better for you. You are new here, but the TG and Pro arguement has been going on for years and your "reason" is just another typical BS comment about TG.

LOL... whatever. :roll: I guess my personal opinion is BS to you and thats fine. After it's just that- a personal opinion. Try not to take TG criticisms so personally.

Big_Dangerous
04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah, it is good for winter. But summer time Wilson starts to slip. So far nothing absorbs as good as TG.

Yeah TG is really good for absorption, but the problem is in addition to it being ******** short, is that it lasts like a set or two at most...

Just hitting around for an hour-90 minutes and you have to change it again...

Kot_Bigemot
04-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah TG is really good for absorption, but the problem is in addition to it being ******** short, is that it lasts like a set or two at most...

Just hitting around for an hour-90 minutes and you have to change it again...
Yes, that i would agree with.
But summer time i change TG every set and not because it wears out. I just sweat like a horse :mrgreen:
And i still prefer TG over anything else because again - NOTHING on current market absorbs as good as TG does. Yes, it is not cheap but, i like to be comfortable. You like to play - you have to pay :)

BigServer1
04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I never had an issue w/length.

That's what she said.

SFrazeur
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
That's what she said.

And it wasn't Lorena Bobbitt.

-SF

Azzurri
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
LOL... whatever. :roll: I guess my personal opinion is BS to you and thats fine. After it's just that- a personal opinion. Try not to take TG criticisms so personally.

not so much your "personal" opinion, but just a poor one. again, its been discussed many times. since you are new, you would have no idea. But playing a grip for 10 years and then changing and that change was "far superior" experience? Again, its not as if one is truly better than the other because, FOR THE THIRD TIME, they are completely different type grips. Since you played (at least you claim and am beginning to think you are full of it) TG for all that time, its kinda hard to believe you stuck with it for that long and found PRO to be "far superior"..again, and to be clear' I think you are not telling the truth and highly doubt you played TG for 10 years.

Azzurri
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
That's what she said.

LOL..good one!:)

Justdoit10
04-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Tourna grip is great but I have dry hands most of the time so it keeps slipping. I throw water on it during changeovers. :)

ChevyTennis
04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
not so much your "personal" opinion, but just a poor one. again, its been discussed many times. since you are new, you would have no idea. But playing a grip for 10 years and then changing and that change was "far superior" experience? Again, its not as if one is truly better than the other because, FOR THE THIRD TIME, they are completely different type grips. Since you played (at least you claim and am beginning to think you are full of it) TG for all that time, its kinda hard to believe you stuck with it for that long and found PRO to be "far superior"..again, and to be clear' I think you are not telling the truth and highly doubt you played TG for 10 years.

I started playing TG in when i was in high school in 1995 and used it all the way through 2005 when I got some free Pros when buying a six-one 95, used it since. Not sure why its hard to figure out. The TG was fine- it did the trick, I just happen to have found something I like much better.

Azzurri
04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I started playing TG in when i was in high school in 1995 and used it all the way through 2005 when I got some free Pros when buying a six-one 95, used it since. Not sure why its hard to figure out. The TG was fine- it did the trick, I just happen to have found something I like much better.

wow, like talking to a wall..WHAT IS BETTER ABOUT IT(for you)??? I have been a TG user since 1984, but I have used at least 10 different grips since then. Reason I continue to use TG is I like the dry feel and aborbs sweat better than anything else. so so you have been a PRO user since 2005..that is quite a while. your post made it seem as if you just started using it. again, your posts are a bit confusing.

ChevyTennis
04-08-2010, 08:09 PM
wow, like talking to a wall..WHAT IS BETTER ABOUT IT(for you)??? I have been a TG user since 1984, but I have used at least 10 different grips since then. Reason I continue to use TG is I like the dry feel and aborbs sweat better than anything else. so so you have been a PRO user since 2005..that is quite a while. your post made it seem as if you just started using it. again, your posts are a bit confusing.

I like the tackiness of the pro and they seem to last longer to me anyway. I went through way to many TGs especially during the summer. I probably would go through TGs at a 3 to 1 ratio compared to Pro. The extra length of the pro is nice too.

TheShaun
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
since when does TW allow advertising like the OP? Why hasn't this guy been banned?

adaan
04-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Seriously, go find a old pack of TG (Before Unique put Sampras on the package), and compare with the current ones.. see how slim they have become.. Or it's perhaps I over-stretched the grip trying to cover the entire handle that makes it thinner and less durable.

voodoo
04-12-2010, 04:55 AM

I have a 11 pack (formerly 12 pack) of Wilson Pro Overgrip (white) that I am willing to trade for some string. I'm a Tournagrip guy and didn't much care for the Wilson stuff. Would also trade for Tournagrip as well.

Found the second quote in the sticky in the for sale section - Guess you changed your mind :)

Lawnmower
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Found the second quote in the sticky in the for sale section - Guess you changed your mind :)

HAHAHAHA PWND!!!!!

Casco
07-17-2013, 04:33 AM
On a 30 pack the price difference is about a buck. Plus, the different lengths (widths) provide more choices for those of us who are finicky about weight. Tourna grip absorbs moisture better than any other grip, hands down!

BeGreat
07-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Tourna Grip is now available in the Middle East & Africa!

Tourna Grip and the world renown Unique Sports line which consist of hundreds of tennis and sport accessories are now available throughout the Middle Eastern and African markets. View: http://www.tournagrip.org

Africa??? Does it come with a bag of rice or lentils?

Stevo Karlovic
07-17-2013, 11:28 PM
For whatever it's worth in this thread, Pacific xTR overgrip is a similar but better version of Tournagrip. It covers all handles, too. It's amazing how tour players make for products catching such waves, just because they use products that the guy next to them in the locker room happens to use, also. These guys wouldn't be good tennis players if they had the time and commitment to be passionate and knowledgeable about the tools of their trade. Like the saying goes, "they could play with a frying pan..." Or something like that.

Rabbit
07-18-2013, 05:38 AM
how is this thread related at all to Pros' Racquets and Gear?

Ferbious
11-03-2014, 12:02 PM
ive used tourna grip for a few years and honestly as long as you keep the over lap to a minimum it should be fine, i have just a little overlap and i have left over

robbo1970
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Why is this in Pro's Racquets and Gear?

Rjtennis
11-03-2014, 07:35 PM
The original length of Tourna Grips are worthless. It bs that the more expensive XL version is the length needed for a standard racket.

kkm
11-04-2014, 01:05 AM
The problem with using Tourna XL or XXL instead of regular Tourna is that the widths of these grips are different. Tourna XXL is wider than Tourna XL which is wider than regular Tourna. This matters when you want to be able to flat-wrap the overgrip over the base grip. To flat-wrap the overgrip over the base grip you generally want the overgrip to be about the same width as the base grip.

The fact that Tourna XL and XXL are wider (not necessarily longer, though I cannot recall checking this detail) than regular Tourna is what allows them to cover more base grip surface than regular Tourna. Put it this way: even though Tourna XXL and XL may be the same length as regular Tourna their additional width allow them to cover more grip surface than regular Tourna.

TimothyO
11-04-2014, 05:34 AM

How convenient. You shorten the regular tourna grip in order to force people to buy an "XL", which is the same size a "regular grip" use to be, in order to charge the consumer more money.

Nice, real nice.

I'm switching to pro supex. Their grips are cheaper, just as good, and their standard size grip covers the ENTIRE grip.

It's revealing that Tourna never addressed your question directly They must know that they've been busted. I stopped using them for the same reason.

kkm
11-05-2014, 12:06 AM
I just checked my Tourna packages, and here it is:

Original: 25 mm x 99 cm

XL: 29 mm x 99 cm

XXL: 35 mm x 100 cm

TennisCanada1
11-06-2014, 08:22 AM

Nice, real nice.

Amen. 10 char.

sp1derman
11-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Nice, real nice.

I agree with Drakulie, it's definitely shorter than it used to be. YOu would have to not overlap at all to get it to cover 3/4 of a standard grip. What gives? Now we must buy the XL at a higher cost... Lame...