PDA

View Full Version : what a Good multi?

Swood010
04-02-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm a 4.5-5.0 player and i just bought unique big hitter 16 gauge sting. I really like it strung with all poly but im popping it way to fast, so now im looking for a durable multi string that wont loose tension and is playible. I'm open to any suggestions or any tensions that will help with my all poly problem.

Thank You

stanfordtennis alum
04-02-2010, 08:43 AM
pro supex maxim touch
wilson nxt
tecnfibre nrg

mikeler
04-02-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm a 4.5-5.0 player and i just bought unique big hitter 16 gauge sting. I really like it strung with all poly but im popping it way to fast, so now im looking for a durable multi string that wont loose tension and is playible. I'm open to any suggestions or any tensions that will help with my all poly problem.

Thank You

Are you saying the poly is breaking way too fast? A multi is not going to be as durable as a poly in most cases.

Swood010
04-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Are you saying the poly is breaking way too fast? A multi is not going to be as durable as a poly in most cases.

yeah i use the prince tour diablo midplus and it has an open string pattern and i put alot of whip on the ball which i think causes my strings to pop faster. i checked and its not my machine or the gromets they just break within 2-3 matches including practice. it wont be as durable in a hybrid with my string or by itself?(i hate all multifilament string beds)

mikeler
04-02-2010, 10:11 AM
yeah i use the prince tour diablo midplus and it has an open string pattern and i put alot of whip on the ball which i think causes my strings to pop faster. i checked and its not my machine or the gromets they just break within 2-3 matches including practice. it wont be as durable in a hybrid with my string or by itself?(i hate all multifilament string beds)

Are you busting the mains when they break? I use a Babolat PST Plus (16 x 20) with Maxim Touch 17 full job. I get about 7 or 8 sets out of it before breakage. Before I finally decided to fix my golfer's elbow, I was using Pro Supex Big Ace 16 in the mains with Gamma synthetic gut 16 in the crosses. That setup would go 20+ sets before the Big Ace would snap.

SecondServe
04-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Thank You

I have noticed that full poly jobs tend to saw through each other fairly quickly in open patterned racquets. I would suggest you hybrid your poly with a synthetic cross of your choice for maximum durability.

Swood010
04-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Are you busting the mains when they break? I use a Babolat PST Plus (16 x 20) with Maxim Touch 17 full job. I get about 7 or 8 sets out of it before breakage. Before I finally decided to fix my golfer's elbow, I was using Pro Supex Big Ace 16 in the mains with Gamma synthetic gut 16 in the crosses. That setup would go 20+ sets before the Big Ace would snap.

ya i'm busting like 2 mains when they pop. I played with big ace also before i switched to unique..what about prince duraflex? how would it compare to those strings and the ones listed above?

mikeler
04-02-2010, 03:39 PM
ya i'm busting like 2 mains when they pop. I played with big ace also before i switched to unique..what about prince duraflex? how would it compare to those strings and the ones listed above?

PSGD 16 would last 7 or 8 sets for me. If you don't have arm issues try Prince Pro Blend. It has Kevlar mains and PSGD crosses.

L4RZ
04-02-2010, 03:47 PM

PSGD is durable but not compared to a poly. Kevlar is even more durable but harsh on the arm (hybrid might work though). Have you considered buying a stringing machine?

Swood010
04-03-2010, 07:41 AM
PSGD is durable but not compared to a poly. Kevlar is even more durable but harsh on the arm (hybrid might work though). Have you considered buying a stringing machine?

ya i have one its an alpha.as of now i've had no arm problems and i've been wanting to try kelvar but i hear it doesnt play as good as poly.

mikeler
04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
ya i have one its an alpha.as of now i've had no arm problems and i've been wanting to try kelvar but i hear it doesnt play as good as poly.

Some people love Kevlar. You should try it out at least once.

Visene77
04-03-2010, 03:39 PM
You are breaking poly's.....and two mains at a time in a couple days????

string job is the problem imo.

But.....if you really do work strings over like that, give kevlar a shot.

Dirt cheap, hybrid with prince syn gut and you will be set.

Jack2010
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
You are breaking poly's.....and two mains at a time in a couple days????

string job is the problem imo.

But.....if you really do work strings over like that, give kevlar a shot.

Dirt cheap, hybrid with prince syn gut and you will be set.
I have the same problem. I use two polys and they break very quickly. I have an open string pattern with heavy topspin shots, so the stiff strings saw on each other and cut right through the mains. The only way to maximize durability is to put a poly on the mains and then put a softer string on the crosses (i.e. syn gut, multi, or even natural gut if you can afford it ) :)

coyfish
04-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Im pretty confused. You are breaking a 16 gauge poly and asking for a multi / syn gut for durability . . . Doesn't make sense.

Steezmuffin
04-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Im pretty confused. You are breaking a 16 gauge poly and asking for a multi / syn gut for durability . . . Doesn't make sense.

A poly notches on another poly like no other.

coolblue123
04-04-2010, 11:22 AM
wow... if you break polys, your arm must be as big as a tree trunk! Try Prince Pro Blend/ Multi Hybrid. Kevlar should keep the strings from breaking longer. Bring plenty of Ben Gay. You'll need it for your arm and shoulder.

Visene77
04-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Ive seen alot of poly's break on the internet, never in person.

mikeler
04-05-2010, 05:26 AM
wow... if you break polys, your arm must be as big as a tree trunk! Try Prince Pro Blend/ Multi Hybrid. Kevlar should keep the strings from breaking longer. Bring plenty of Ben Gay. You'll need it for your arm and shoulder.

I used Pro Blend for years until I bought my own stringer. Back then I was not having any arm problems, so it was fine. I've been dealing with elbow issues for the past 18 months, so I'd go nowhere near it at the moment.

Xenakis
04-05-2010, 05:29 AM
Rip Control 16. Is playable for ages, it's not really powerful like other multis and it seems pretty durable to me (doesn't seem to notch much, downside the strings move about a bit, better than them going brittle and stiff though.)

JT_2eighty
04-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Prince pro blend is THE stiffest kevlar out there. You may not want to dive right into that one, try some of the other kevlar hybrids out there, like Wilson Hyperlast, Gamma infinity, Ashaway, Forten gear, Dunlop max touch, etc.

Kevlar hybrids can give you some very nice "bite" that even polys will not. It is a low powered setup with max durability. Cross it with a thick 16 or 15L gut for even better playability. Plus, with kevlar, it is already a very inelastic string to begin with, so it does not "die" like a poly. It is the most durable string on the market will play about as consistent as possible from fresh to snap, but there are literally 10-20 various kevlars, and TBH Prince pro blend is a brick wall compared to the rest.

mikeler
04-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I found with Prince Pro Blend that I would start playing like crap with it after about 15 matches. Not sure if the Kevlar or synthetic gut (or both) were dead, but it would play terrible.

JT_2eighty
04-05-2010, 09:56 AM
I found with Prince Pro Blend that I would start playing like crap with it after about 15 matches. Not sure if the Kevlar or synthetic gut (or both) were dead, but it would play terrible.

Most likely the synthetic's fault. I like crossing my kevlar with gut for this reason. Very consistent playability throughout, even if I let that stick sit for a few weeks when experimenting with other setups, as soon as I come back to the kevlar/gut, it's where it was beforehand.

That said, i am using 18x20 flexible sticks so my strings last forever, and I do use ample spin on all my shots. I would typically break PSGD 17 after 2-3 matches, and Gamma Syn 16 after 5-6, full gut 8-12 matches, and never broke a poly before it died. But those using 16-main sticks and/or stiffer ones will have shorter string longevity; however, kevlar's at least worth a try for someone breaking poly that fast. My only advice is to shop around the various kevlar/aramids out there, as they run the gamut from 16-19 gauge, with a wide range of stiffness (with still the "least stiff" being twice as stiff or more than your stiffest poly).

mikeler
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Most likely the synthetic's fault. I like crossing my kevlar with gut for this reason. Very consistent playability throughout, even if I let that stick sit for a few weeks when experimenting with other setups, as soon as I come back to the kevlar/gut, it's where it was beforehand.

That said, i am using 18x20 flexible sticks so my strings last forever, and I do use ample spin on all my shots. I would typically break PSGD 17 after 2-3 matches, and Gamma Syn 16 after 5-6, full gut 8-12 matches, and never broke a poly before it died. But those using 16-main sticks and/or stiffer ones will have shorter string longevity; however, kevlar's at least worth a try for someone breaking poly that fast. My only advice is to shop around the various kevlar/aramids out there, as they run the gamut from 16-19 gauge, with a wide range of stiffness (with still the "least stiff" being twice as stiff or more than your stiffest poly).

Good info. When I was using a stiff 16 x 19 oversized stick, I'd get about 3 to 4 matches out of the 16 gauge Prince Duraflex and Gamma synthetic guts. The one time I tried natural gut (20 years ago) it busted after 3 sets. When I was using Big Ace 16 in a hybrid with Prince/Gamma 16 last year, I'd get about 10 matches out of it before the poly would snap.