PDA

View Full Version : Tourna Grip on TWITTER!

Tournagrip
04-02-2010, 09:40 AM
TOURNA GRIP FANS!

You can now follow Tourna Grip on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/tournagrip

All Tourna Grip fans unite on Facebook
Join our group at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36557204377

drakulie
04-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I suppose Tourna Grip doesn't feel like anwering my question from the other thread they created.

here is my comment/question again:

why are the grips shorter than they were a few years ago??? and yet the price has gone up?

The standard length barely covers the entire girp. I have to buy the extended length because of this, and it is even more expensive?

what gives???.

matchace
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Grips are not shorter. Your statement is simply not true. The original dimensions of Tourna Grip have not changed since 1977.
The machine settings never change. The grip handles change over time. This is why we came out with XL and XXL. Those longer grip handles use more Tourna Grip material and that simply costs more.

Gene Niksich
president
unique sports

ChevyTennis
04-02-2010, 12:51 PM
How can I find XXL tournagrip. I would love to buy it but have no idea who sells it.

Dags
04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Grips are not shorter. Your statement is simply not true. The original dimensions of Tourna Grip have not changed since 1977.
The machine settings never change. The grip handles change over time. This is why we came out with XL and XXL. Those longer grip handles use more Tourna Grip material and that simply costs more.

Gene Niksich
president
unique sports

If this is the case, would it not be sensible to make the grips longer? Someone who has never used Tourna Grip is most likely to purchase the regular version; and given that this is not long enough for most modern handles, surely that will result in a poor experience and cost you potential return customers?

For the record, having tried various overgrips I have always come back to Tourna and expect to continue using it for the foreseeable future, though only in the XL version.

matchace
04-02-2010, 01:44 PM
We are debating if we should make the swith to all long by the end of 2010. Stay tuned. There will be customers who will object since they don't use the longer handle racquets. We will get complaints that there is too much grip wasted. I wish that it simple to please all. That is why we have kept various sisez.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Gene

Zefer
04-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't see what the problem is, most 27" inches racquets with a 100 sq inch head and an average throat has a handle that just fits Tournagrip perfectly. I put Tournagrip on my Babolat that has and undergrip and and overgrip as well and it fits great.

Nanshiki
04-02-2010, 01:52 PM
XL is the perfect size for 95% of all tennis grips. XXL is only for people with HUGE hands and custom handles, or people who are Roddick impersonators and want to wrap the grip all the way to the throat, which looks cool but is totally pointless, even if you have a two-handed backhand.

Personally, I wish there was a grip that had the feel and longevity of Tourna Grip II / Tourna Tac, with the absorbency of Tourna Grip. Reason being is that regular Tourna Grip has better grip even when wet, for a shorter period of time, whereas tackier grips have less absorbency (and more grip as long as they stay dry), but stay usable for a longer period of time...and ideally had even more absorbency, since my hands are ALWAYS sweaty. But it would need to regain 95% of that asborbency after it dries out, whereas regular TG only has about 75% of if (non-scientific guess), and it loses its tack, too.

I'm sure modern chemistry and material design can do something about that :)

Then again, I think if regular Tourna Grip was just a smidge tackier (on one side, and with the regular amount of tack on the 'back' side), that would be great... as long as it maintained the same level of absorbency.

OliverSimon
04-02-2010, 02:05 PM
The Tounagrip goes snug on my Microgel Prestige MP but that is probably because my racquets handle is shorter.

Kot_Bigemot
04-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I have to say - i love TG but, the XL version barely fits on my BB 11 SE handle. Not sure if i do not stretch it enough or something else but...
Anyway, i think no other overgrip on current market can absorb as good as TG. And that is the only reason why i use it. I change overgrip after each set, that is how much i sweat(sorry to bring that up). So, TG is th only grip for me.
I tried many overgrips and they were all either too tacky or not absorbing at all.

Kot_Bigemot
04-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Gene Niksich
president
unique sports
Hello Gene.
I have a question about TG that i got not too long ago. Email option in your profile does not work so, can you please email me? I really do not want to talk about this in public :)
Thanks.
shtiblet@gmail.com

drakulie
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Grips are not shorter.

Uhmmm, yeah they are shorter.

Your statement is simply not true.

No, your statement is not true.

The original dimensions of Tourna Grip have not changed since 1977.
The machine settings never change. The grip handles change over time.

Interesting. I didn't realize my PS85 grip handle changed while I was sleeping. :roll:

Fact is, the "regular length" version no longer covers the entire handle how it use to. The grips are shorter.

I wonder how much money Unique Sports is saving by making the grips shorter than they use to.

Drakulie
President of the,
"Lets expose Unique Sports"

jcstennis
04-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Drakulie
President of the,
"Lets expose Unique Sports"

oh, that's filthy... damn filthy! ;) (i like it!)

Drak... so Pro Supex is the way to go? It's getting warmer up where I am at... was going to stock up on Tourna...

Huppe
04-02-2010, 06:38 PM
There's something disingenuous about the president of a company posting anonymously (until today) only to promote Unique products (Tourna grip), and, worse, to lob personal insults on users (because a user quite using Tourna grip because he wanted black or white) and to denounces all competitors products generically (essentially white overgrips suck), not to mention shamelessly promoting his own products without disclosure (like when he presents his conundrum that he doesn't know what to do because his Unique string he's using plays fantastic and never goes dead).

I say as someone who uses (for now) their products that I think it's distasteful. Be on the boards, offer advice about your products, even promote your products like the Tourna grip facebook thread, but do it in the open.

How sad is it that the president of a company has to resort to personal attacks because someone stopped using their product?

And shouldn't TW delete the account as a duplicate, given they are posting under Tourna grip and this other name?

Yeah, I think I can find other dampners and strings, etc. to play.

Just one poster's opinion.

Fee
04-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Gene Niksich
president
unique sports

I don't think this is authentic. The president of the company doesn't know enough to capitalize his title and the company name?

Mansewerz
04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
For anyone who has trouble with tournagrip, you are overlapping too much.

kingdaddy41788
04-02-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't think this is authentic. The president of the company doesn't know enough to capitalize his title and the company name?

That was my first thought as well. Why wouldn't he just have used the Tourna Grip username anyway? Is anyone actually believing this?

kingdaddy41788
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Overlap is a preference, so one can't really overlap too much...

stoble
04-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Then why do they offer 3 sizes if it's simply user error?

Mansewerz
04-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Then why do they offer 3 sizes if it's simply user error?

Extra overlap? :D

Overlap is a preference, so one can't really overlap too much...

In all honesty, i'm just saying you can make it work w/ regular tourna.

Nanshiki
04-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Regular Tournagrip is too small... you can even look at the pros who use it, and they can't cover the whole grip, especially grips over 1/2.

I think drak is being waaay too anal, and should just buy XL if regular TG doesn't work.

JStar7
04-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I agree with everyone who feels like Unique is reaping the money from the short Tourna's. Yet there's nothing that absorbs sweat better. I may buy a 3 pack again and see if it'll cover my short handle on my Prestige but for that reason alone is why i've only been using white grips like Wilson. I may have to pull an Andy Murray and not overlap it.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Murray_MG_Radical_PJ_2.jpg

armsty
04-03-2010, 02:40 PM
If there's anything that's identical (like WPO is to Supergrap) then I'd buy it for length. Otherwise this is my summer grip.

Nanshiki
04-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Overlap is great if you like to increase your grip size you feel. You should not compromise your preferred overlap just because the grip is too short. Just use XL; it is big enough for almost all grip sizes and handle lengths, with as much or as little overlap as you like (within reason).

Wilson Pro grips are the best overall grips on the market if you don't have sweaty hands... they are easier to apply and have more feel and tack than TG, and last longer too...but they become slippery when wet.

Kot_Bigemot
04-03-2010, 02:59 PM
If there's anything that's identical (like WPO is to Supergrap) then I'd buy it for length. Otherwise this is my summer grip.
Those are more or less like TG but, i still like TG better.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_Agassi_Pro_Overgrip_Blue/descpageACHEAD-APOG.html

JW10S
04-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Those are more or less like TG but, i still like TG better.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_Agassi_Pro_Overgrip_Blue/descpageACHEAD-APOG.htmlThe HEAD Agassi grips aren't 'more or less like' Tourna Grip, they are exactly the same since Tourna Grip makes the grips and licenses them to HEAD. On the back of the HEAD Agassi Grip packages it clearly says; 'Made by Tourna Grip'.

Kot_Bigemot
04-03-2010, 06:14 PM
The HEAD Agassi grips aren't 'more or less like' Tourna Grip, they are exactly the same since Tourna Grip makes the grips and licenses them to HEAD. On the back of the HEAD Agassi Grip packages it clearly says; 'Made by Tourna Grip'.
You are right. I never looked before. But TG is wider, at least XL version is for sure.