PDA

View Full Version : The semi final curse!

babbette
04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Will it be broken come clay time?

Yay or nay?

Rafa hurry up and sort it out, what do you need for it to be sorted, I can arrange that for you! :p

swordtennis
04-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Yay.

From the AP:

MIAMI — Rafael Nadal's semi-final defeat to Andy Roddick at the Miami Masters on Friday marked the Spaniard's 13th tournament without a trophy, but Nadal insisted he's on the verge of ending the skid.

"I am playing well," said Nadal, who also exited in the semi-finals at Indian Wells, the first Masters 1000 event of the season in California. "I had very good matches in these two tournaments.

"If you are there, you're going to have your day. You're going to win one day."

Indian Wells earlier this month was Nadal's first tournament since a knee injury brought his Australian Open campaign to a premature end.

His inability to defend his title in the California desert saw him fall from third to fourth in the world rankings, but he'll regain the number three spot next week.

And next up is Monte Carlo - where the clay courts are a bit easier on his troublesome knees and where he will be seeking an historic sixth consecutive title.

"I'm very happy how I am doing," said Nadal, who is without a title since the Rome Masters in May last year.

"Today was a loss, but my motivation is full. I told you before the tournament, and I will tell you another time right now, I am ready to do everything."

"I think I am ready to play my best. I'm just going to try my best in Monte Carlo now."

valiant
04-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Nadal lost . I just got to know. How did he lose ?? off day or roddick playing awesome.

kishnabe
04-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Nadal lost . I just got to know. How did he lose ?? off day or roddick playing awesome.

Roddick played awesome....enough to make Rafa ****ed off!

The-Champ
04-02-2010, 05:51 PM

From a Rafa fan....They both played well but A-Rod was the better player today. Plus, he showed us that monster fh from 2003. Why can't he do that all the time?

Today, Rafa was physically fine but lost to the better player, and I have no trouble accepting that.

Semi-Pro
04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Yes. Realistically, in Monte Carlo.

AM95
04-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Roddick was completley outplayed in the first set and a half. Then idk, something just clicked and he started ripping the ***** out of the ball with his forehand, which completley through nadal off pace. Nadal wasn't having an off day at all, this was nothing like the ljube match where he just choked away his lead.

That being said, and me being a TENNIS fan, i hope Nadal has some good results on clay.

TheTruth
04-02-2010, 10:02 PM

I only watched Nadal's serve games, because Roddick bores me silly. But even in fast forward it looked like Roddick played a smart, strategic match, and didn't let up in the slightest. He did good.

Congrats to Roddick.

TheTruth
04-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Roddick was completley outplayed in the first set and a half. Then idk, something just clicked and he started ripping the ***** out of the ball with his forehand, which completley through nadal off pace. Nadal wasn't having an off day at all, this was nothing like the ljube match where he just choked away his lead.

That being said, and me being a TENNIS fan, i hope Nadal has some good results on clay.

Nadal pretty much admitted this. It was like Roddick surprised him.

Rhino
04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he won Monte Carlo, he won't have to beat Roddick there. Or Federer for that matter.

dmt
04-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he won Monte Carlo, he won't have to beat Roddick there. Or Federer for that matter.nadal has already beaten federer 3 times at monte carlo so please stop pretending that Nadal is lucky not to play federer in monte carlo. Federer is 0-3 vs Nadal there. If federer isnt injured, why isnt he playing? Yeah its his choice whether he wants to play or not, and its not Nadal's fault that he wont face federer in monte carlo. Federer is the one who is lucky since he wont be facing nadal at monte carlo, and if he does he will have another loss to Nadal on clay. Otherwise federer's record on clay vs Nadal would go from 2-9 to 2-10, making it even worse.

Fee
04-02-2010, 10:51 PM

Justin predicted him to win the whole thing on the air earlier this week, that's why he lost. The Gimel curse is powerful, stronger than the Bud Collins and Jon Wertheim jinxes combined. ;)

Rhino
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
nadal has already beaten federer 3 times at monte carlo so please stop pretending that Nadal is lucky not to play federer in monte carlo. Federer is 0-3 vs Nadal there. If federer isnt injured, why isnt he playing? Yeah its his choice whether he wants to play or not, and its not Nadal's fault that he wont face federer in monte carlo. Federer is the one who is lucky since he wont be facing nadal at monte carlo, and if he does he will have another loss to Nadal on clay. Otherwise federer's record on clay vs Nadal would go from 2-9 to 2-10, making it even worse.

Keep your pants on mate. I'm merely saying that, with a thirteen tournament title drought, Nadal is not the man who defeated Federer at MC on the previous occasions. In fact since those defeats, Federer has gone on to nail Nadal on clay plus win the French Open (amongst other slams), while Nadal has done nothing.
Federer isn't playing MC because it's been demoted and is now no longer a Masters series event.

dmt
04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
If federer isnt playing mc, its not Nadal's fault, and if he was, he would probably loses to Nadal. If federer doesnt want to play mc, its his choice, it isnt Nadal's fault. and in no way is Nadal "lucky" since he doesnt have to face federer. There are plenty of other good players playing, Djokovic, Del Potro(hopefully he will play) so even if Nadal wins, it wont be easy. One win in Madrid doesnt change who is the better claycourter betwee the two. A few years ago when federer dominated Nadal at hamburg, alot of people believed he would win the french, yet we all saw what happened in the final of the Fo.

Bud
04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Rafa had his chances in that third set. He almost had a break point and netted an easy BH slice (middle of the net). That sealed the deal.

If he could have converted, I think he would have won the match. Once again, though... the match simply got away from him.

It's almost like Rafa has forgotten how to win. Perhaps, the clay court season will hand him his first tournament in nearly a year.

namelessone
04-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Rafa had his chances in that third set. He had a break point and netted an easy BH slice (middle of the net). That sealed the deal.

If he could have converted, I think he would have won the match. Once again, though... the match simply got away from him.

It's almost like Rafa has forgotten how to win. Perhaps, the clay court season will hand him his first tournament in nearly a year.

He has forgotten how to close out matches and he does not look calm when the deciding moments come. It is no coincidence that he looks his best in the earlier rounds and the first set of semifinals/finals. He is somewhat relaxed and plays well then. But when he sees the finish line,he gets passive or tentative and cannot close it out. To me he had very good form in Doha,IW and Miami but his performance in these tourneys followed the exact same scenario,play good early rounds,go to SF/F,play a good first set and half then it is all downhill for the last third.

This last bit is the one he needs to work on. He is clearly doing something right if he is going to SF or better on HC(and leading by a set in those matches) but his calm is gone. What once helped him through tough situations is now sinking him.