PDA

View Full Version : Rafa actually played too quickly today!

gopokes
04-02-2010, 07:30 PM
OK, not a lot, but at the end of the match today, I thought Rafa really rushed, particularly between 1st and 2nd serves down matchpoint. He seemed really rattled in that third set. I think he's a lot more fragile mentally than he was in '08. For a guy like Rafa to abandon his rituals when he most needed them surprises the heck out of me. He's still going to win several more majors before it's all said and done though. Tennis is a humbling sport at all levels. You're never far from collapse and you're never too far away from the euphoria that playing well creates. Congrats to Andy for hanging in today.

rudester
04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
It almost looked like Roddick used the rope a dope on Nadal today, lulled him to sleep and then sucker punched him.

Semi-Pro
04-02-2010, 07:43 PM
He knew Roddick would get extremely ****ed off and would unleash a smack down. Both verbally and physically.

TheTruth
04-02-2010, 08:24 PM
OK, not a lot, but at the end of the match today, I thought Rafa really rushed, particularly between 1st and 2nd serves down matchpoint. He seemed really rattled in that third set. I think he's a lot more fragile mentally than he was in '08. For a guy like Rafa to abandon his rituals when he most needed them surprises the heck out of me. He's still going to win several more majors before it's all said and done though. Tennis is a humbling sport at all levels. You're never far from collapse and you're never too far away from the euphoria that playing well creates. Congrats to Andy for hanging in today.

Great post! It's a shame people have started this idiocy where one player can't play to their pace. It's affecting the tennis, big time.

Pwned
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Great post! It's a shame people have started this idiocy where one player can't play to their pace. It's affecting the tennis, big time.

Routinely taking twice the allotted time between points is not 'playing to their pace', it is breaking the rules. By your logic if he took 2 minutes between each point it would be ok because it's his pace and he needs to play at that pace to not affect his tennis. If he can't recover and play to his highest level within the allotted time then he better figure out what the problem is and fix it.

TheTruth
04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Routinely taking twice the allotted time between points is not 'playing to their pace', it is breaking the rules. By your logic if he took 2 minutes between each point it would be ok because it's his pace and he needs to play at that pace to not affect his tennis. If he can't recover and play to his highest level within the allotted time then he better figure out what the problem is and fix it.

Hold the hostility, his playing pace isn't a factor in my life or yours. What about all the others you all aren't scrutinizing to death? Lol! Didn't you see the stats/facts TennisandMusic put up regarding time?

Of course you didn't.

Pwned
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Hold the hostility, his playing pace isn't a factor in my life or yours. What about all the others you all aren't scrutinizing to death? Lol! Didn't you see the stats/facts TennisandMusic put up regarding time?

Of course you didn't.

Hostility? Can you read?

Everyone who goes over the time limit point after point match after match should be warned. None of them are. Nadal just happens to be the number 4 player in the world and hugely popular, that is why he is brought up more. And he takes a HUGE amount of time and it IS annoying and it IS against the rules.

TheTruth
04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Hostility? Can you read?

Everyone who goes over the time limit point after point match after match should be warned. None of them are. Nadal just happens to be the number 4 player in the world and hugely popular, that is why he is brought up more. And he takes a HUGE amount of time and it IS annoying and it IS against the rules.

Of course I can read. Maybe it was just your tone.

So why don't we hear about these other people instead of 200 posts a day mentioning the same, old tired thing? Him being #4 doesn't mean anything. If it's annoying to some people they should a. stop watching him, or b. stop watching him and complaining. It's ridiculously stale after six years.

Pwned
04-02-2010, 09:10 PM

So why don't we hear about these other people instead of 200 posts a day mentioning the same, old tired thing? Him being #4 doesn't mean anything. If it's annoying to some people they should a. stop watching him, or b. stop watching him and complaining. It's ridiculously stale after six years.

The rules are there for a reason. Taking extra time allows him to recover mentally and/or physically between points. If he can't recover in the allotted time he should be subject to the the rules but for whatever reason it is ignored. You don't hear about everyone else who does it because no one cares about lower ranked players. I like watching Nadal but I can't stand the time he takes between points. If the rules were enforced he would be forced to play within the rules and change his pace of play. It also turns off a lot of potential viewers.

Blinkism
04-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Hostility? Can you read?

Made me laugh

:lol:

I'm sure THAT's why

P_Agony
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM

Huh? Rafa usually takes about 40-55 seconds between points, and I don't even want to mention his time between the 1st and 2nd serve (something that should be less than 10 seconds IMO). Rafa isn't only breaking the rules, he managed to get some players against him and his method, with Tsonga being the newest member to that club. This is what's affecting tennis, and not for the better.

P_Agony
04-03-2010, 12:08 AM

What does this subject possibly has to do with watching Nadal? We're not talking about the fans being upset about anymore, we are talking about the players and coaches constantly furstrated by Nadal's time-wasting tactics. This has nothing to do with Nadal's personality or his game, this isn't relevant to the issue.