PDA

View Full Version : Any green alternatives to throwing away scrap string?

alexmcnab
04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Any ideas what you can do with scrap string?

thanks

nCode747
04-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Use it as a toothpick

tennytive
04-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Save a section of it in case you run short and need it as a bridge with a starting clamp.

Otherwise I put it in our recycle bin for pick up.

kcmiser
04-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Wapcaplet: Aah, come in, come in, Mr....Simpson. Aaah, welcome to Mousebat, Follicle, Goosecreature, Ampersand, Spong, Wapcaplet, Looseliver, Vendetta and Prang!
Mr. Simpson: Thank you.
Wapcaplet: Do sit down--my name's Wapcaplet, Adrian Wapcaplet...
Mr. Simpson: how'd'y'do.
Wapcaplet: Now, Mr. Simpson... Simpson, Simpson... French, is it?
Mr. Simpson: No.
Wapcaplet: Aah. Now, I understand you want us to advertise your washing powder.
Mr. Simpson: String.
Wapcaplet: String, washing powder, what's the difference. We can sell anything.
Mr. Simpson: Good. Well I have this large quantity of string, a hundred and twenty-two thousand miles of it to be exact, which I inherited, and I thought if I advertised it--
Wapcaplet: Of course! A national campaign. Useful stuff, string, no trouble there.
Mr. Simpson: Ah, but there's a snag, you see. Due to bad planning, the hundred and twenty-two thousand miles is in three inch lengths. So it's not very useful.
Wapcaplet: Well, that's our selling point! "SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL STRINGETTES!"
Mr. Simpson: What?
Wapcaplet: "THE NOW STRING! READY CUT, EASY TO HANDLE, SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL EMPEROR STRINGETTES - JUST THE RIGHT LENGTH!"
Mr. Simpson: For what?
Wapcaplet: Uhmm... "A MILLION HOUSEHOLD USES!"
Mr. Simpson: Such as?
Wapcaplet: Uhmm...Tying up very small parcels, attatching notes to pigeons' legs, uh, destroying household pests...
Mr. Simpson: Destroying household pests?! How?
Wapcaplet: Well, if they're bigger than a mouse, you can strangle them with it, and if they're smaller than, you flog them to death with it!
Mr. Simpson: Well surely!....
Wapcaplet: "DESTROY NINETY-NINE PERCENT OF KNOWN HOUSEHOLD PESTS WITH PRE-SLICED, RUSTPROOF, EASY-TO-HANDLE, LOW CALORIE SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL EMPEROR STRINGETTES, FREE FROM ARTIFICIAL COLORING, AS USED IN HOSPITALS!"
Mr. Simpson: 'Ospitals!?!
Wapcaplet: Have you ever in a Hospital where they didn't have string?
Mr. Simpson: No, but it's only string!
Wapcaplet: ONLY STRING?! It's everything! It's...it's waterproof!
Mr. Simpson: No it isn't!
Wapcaplet: All right, it's water resistant then!
Mr. Simpson: It isn't!
Wapcaplet: All right, it's water absorbent! It's...Super Absorbent String! "ABSORB WATER TODAY WITH SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL WATER ABSORB-A-TEX STRINGETTES! AWAY WITH FLOODS!"
Mr. Simpson: You just said it was waterproof!
Wapcaplet: "AWAY WITH THE DULL DRUDGERY OF WORKADAY TIDAL WAVES! USE SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL FLOOD PREVENTERS!"
Mr. Simpson: You're mad!
Wapcaplet: Shut up, shut up, shut up! Sex, sex sex, must get sex into it. Wait, I see a television commercial- There's this nude woman in a bath holding a bit of your string. That's great, great, but we need a doctor, got to have a medical opinion. There's a nude woman in a bath with a doctor--that's too sexy. Put an archbishop there watching them, that'll take the curse off it. Now, we need children and animals. There's two kids admiring the string, and a dog admiring the archbishop who's blessing the string. Uhh...international flavor's missing...make the archbishop Greek Orthodox. Why not Archbishop Macarios? No, no, he's dead... nevermind, we'll get his brother, it'll be cheaper... So, there's Archbishop Macarios....

defrule
04-03-2010, 07:26 AM
not so much for scrap string but when i cut strings out, I try to unweave them to get a good length and use them for hanging laundry.

bigfirstserve
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
not so much for scrap string but when i cut strings out, I try to unweave them to get a good length and use them for hanging laundry.

If you unweave them when it is not mounted to the machine it can cause tension build up on you part of the racket, thus possibly warping the frame

brownbearfalling
04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
You should see the garbage bins at pro tournaments, college string rooms and tennis pro shops. There are enough strings to fill black garabage bag and sometimes multiple ones. I haven't seen any recycling of tennis string but I have seen tennis string made into jewelery. Others than that I am thinking it is hard to recycle strings since each string is made of different material. I would think natural gut is biodegrade able. Maybe in the future as oil gets scarce, natural gut will be cheaper than other strings.

alexmcnab
04-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Save a section of it in case you run short and need it as a bridge with a starting clamp.

Is there a description (or video)somewhere showing how to do this?

Steezmuffin
04-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Basically put the end coming out of the racquet into the start clamp and loop a piece of scrap string through the holes in the start clamp so the two ends are coming out towards the tension head. Then put both ends that are in the holes from the start clamp in the tension head and pull tension. IDK if this made sense. LOL

steve rounds
04-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Make a knot on one end and feed it through the hole on the line spool. Works great but you do not have the luxury of tap and go to feed the string so it does take a little longer but what a great use of the string.

82300sd
04-05-2010, 07:18 PM
would be nice if they could recycle used tennis string like monofilament fishing line:

How is monofilament recycled?
The monofilament is collected from recycling bins and cleaned of hooks, leaders, weights, and trash by volunteers. It is then shipped to the Berkley Pure Fishing Company in Iowa. Berkley melts the line down into raw plastic pellets that can be made into other plastic products including tackle boxes, spools for line, fish habitats, and toys. It is not made into more monofilament line.

YULitle
04-06-2010, 05:51 AM
It only helps a little, but you could save a bit from each type of string so that customers could get a hand on the string before purchasing it.

Also, I think some of the string is recyclable like other plastics. Not sure on that one though. I'd run it by the people with whom you recycle.

tennytive
04-06-2010, 06:18 AM

http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/startingclamp.htm

retlod
04-06-2010, 10:49 AM
It only helps a little, but you could save a bit from each type of string so that customers could get a hand on the string before purchasing it.

That's actually a great idea, especially if your customers are tennis geeks like the people here. Since I started stringing a couple of weeks ago, I have a whole new appreciation for just how different strings are. Tecnifibre NRG, for example, is just as stiff to the fingers as anything when it's strung, but out of the package it feels like a cool, wet noodle.

UCSF2012
04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Let someone else throw it away for you.

Trickster
04-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Yep definitely would recommend keeping scrap string for those occasions when you don't leave enough string to tension - more an issue for electronic machines but suppose it could occur with lockout machines too.

I also keep scrap string to use with tension calibrators.

I suppose you could make cable ties out of the string but that's being a little bit too resourceful probably lol!

David123
04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
yeah i like the idea of keeping scrap string of every string you use. Great idea.