PDA

View Full Version : This *has* to be a record!

tennytive
04-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Five and a half hours to string my first racket.

Actual stringing time was probably only a half hour, but all the mistakes and re-reading the "instructions" and insane stuff like taking 15 minutes to tie off my first knot when it took only 10 seconds to tie off the final just added to the frustration. I also had to pull out 2 strings to widen a grommet for the shared hole tie off which took me at least 15 minutes more as I didn't want to damage the grommet if I could help it. I was using 16 gauge, which at times felt like I was trying to bend cable wire.

I did choose a complicated one string ATW modified box pattern and it did take me several looks at the racket I had with this pattern to reverse engineer and copy the path the string should take. That and the string tangling from the coil memory had me pulling out string and redoing them more than once. I had also hurt my back the day before, so sitting hurt, and standing hurt. (perfect storm) I wouldn't recommend trying to string your first racket with any type of back strain. I was lucky I could lift the machine to put it back when I was though.

The fixed clamps on my Alpha Pioneer worked great, and I also used a starting clamp on the outside of the frame a couple times, so was glad I had one. The rotational gripper gave me a lot of trouble in the beginning which added another half hour to the equation. I finally by trial and several errors loaded the string the *opposite* of how it was described in the pamphlet and then I was able to tension the string.

Needless to say the air was occasionally peppered with expletives, especially during the cross weaving, but eventually before the sun set I did finish the job. Lets see, 5 and 1/2 hours would be what, 2 bucks an hour? My finger nails were trashed and fingers themselves sore, but today not so bad.

But I did it! And now that it's done, it's a beautiful thing. It looks ultra clean on the outside of the frame with only one overlapped string on the head between 7 and 9. I feel like I accomplished something significant, even though it only matters to me. I wanted to see if I could replicate that pattern and I did.

I'm sure the next time I can cut the time down measurably, and if I were to use a two piece pattern, it should be much faster/easier as well.

I can't wait to try it again.

samster
04-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Good job! Next time you will be a lot quicker.

drakulie
04-03-2010, 06:23 AM
congrats! you're on your way to saving lots of money.

Enjoy the string job!!! and happy hitting.

rlau
04-03-2010, 06:35 AM
I always string a 2-piece job -- which is a lot faster and easier.

dgoran
04-03-2010, 06:57 AM
I didn't time myself first time but it was same thing reading and stringing at one point you will memorize and start trusting yourself and everyting will go faster.
I second gentlemans advice on 2 piece I do that as well...

tennytive
04-04-2010, 05:10 AM
I already decided to do the 2 piece method next. That should save a lot of time, and is probably what most people use for their rackets.

I'm going to try a different string too, I used Super Smash Spiky 16 which is really stiff. I have some syn gut original that I hope will bend a lot easier.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm really glad I decided to buy a stringer. It'll save $$ and it's fun learning a new skill.

Meaghan
04-04-2010, 05:15 AM
my first time was about 2hrs and it took my about half hour to uncoil the string! MAde one major mistake which meant i had to start again.

Ive strung a racket up about 10 times since and it consistently takes me about 50 minutes taking it easy.

Im happy with that and im not looking to break records or anything, in fact i enjoy the monotony of it all.

skyzoo
04-04-2010, 05:16 AM
five and a half hours! Soon enough you'll be on my level of twenty minutes.

tennytive
04-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Ha! It takes me 20 minutes to get started.

With a drop weight, I'd agree with Meaghan that an hour of unhurried effort would suit me fine. I would like to have your skill level to finish in 20 minutes, but that sounds like years and hundreds of rackets away.

skyzoo
04-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Ha! It takes me 20 minutes to get started.

With a drop weight, I'd agree with Meaghan that an hour of unhurried effort would suit me fine. I would like to have your skill level to finish in 20 minutes, but that sounds like years and hundreds of rackets away.

Or about six months and maybe like forty racquet's. It's all about the weave speed and focus...

Steve Huff
04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
5 1/2 hours??? You must have been watching the Playboy channel while you strung. That would be understandable then.

mikeler
04-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Mine was 4 hours with lots of beer and wine. :)

brownbearfalling
04-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Great accomplishment! I hope the string job plays ok.

I just hope you don't get discouraged from stringing. Just like tennis, not being able to hit the ball over the net is frustrating but once you get the hang of it, Tennis is a whole new game. Once you get used to stringing, there is a world of interesting things that come with it.

Yulite youtube videos will help you with technique.

kiteboard
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear that. Frustrating when you don't know how to do something. Takes me about 15 min, even with cap grommets/head pt57a frames.

autumn_leaf
04-04-2010, 03:44 PM
i think i came close. around 3 hrs...or would've been if the string didn't freakin snap on me, and then when i finished it finally with another set i figured i didn't do the crosses right and had mains and crosses on completely different planes. total time 14-16hrs....total time without sleep would prolly be around 6-7hrs....

Travis Fong
04-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I've strung 25 racquets. My first took me 1 1/2 hours but I had previously taken a (lesson) in person from my buddy. down to about 35 minutes with my drop weight. I personally like the drop weight because you can weave 1 ahead and weave while its pulling (I like to let it pull for 20 seconds)

pvaudio
04-04-2010, 06:24 PM
It took me about an hour and a half to string a racquet the first time. Now it takes me about a half hour doing my own frames, about 45 minutes doing others' if I've never done them before. This is on a manual crank machine.

Jonny S&V
04-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I strung my first racquet when I was 15, took me an hour and a half. 3.5 years later, I average about 17 minutes. Jeez Meaghan, I string more racquets in 2 days then you have EVER done... ;-)

Keep at it, it only gets better after the first one!

Steezmuffin
04-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I always string a 2-piece job -- which is a lot faster and easier.explain. This is no where near true.

skyzoo
04-05-2010, 06:40 AM
I strung my first racquet when I was 15, took me an hour and a half. 3.5 years later, I average about 17 minutes. Jeez Meaghan, I string more racquets in 2 days then you have EVER done... ;-)

Keep at it, it only gets better after the first one!

I want to see this 17 minute string job. I thought my 20 was fast but 17 is just nuts.

DownTheLine
04-05-2010, 06:55 AM
For me to get my first racquet to be actually right it toke me about 2 days.

Jonny S&V
04-05-2010, 07:56 AM
I want to see this 17 minute string job. I thought my 20 was fast but 17 is just nuts.

When I have to balance class with tennis and music, I don't have much time. I'm also team stringer, so I've learned to be as fast as humanly possible. If I was taking my time, it would take me about 20-25 min, depending on the racquet, but I can get a 16x19 with a hybrid done in about 15 min.

PimpMyGame
04-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Congrats on your first string job. Stick at it and you'll get quicker. And stay tuned to YULitl's YouTube vids.

pvaudio
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
I want to see this 17 minute string job. I thought my 20 was fast but 17 is just nuts.It also depends a lot of the type of machine that you're using. It's not surprising to me to see a 15 minute string job. You don't really think that stringers in large pro shops working on Star 5 machines have time to take 30 minutes per frame, do you? My old pro bet one of the juniors that he could string a racquet in 12 minutes and won. Now, I'm not saying that the string job was pretty, but it is possible.

mikeler
04-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm down to 35 seconds total stringing time :)

Jonny S&V
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
It also depends a lot of the type of machine that you're using. It's not surprising to me to see a 15 minute string job. You don't really think that stringers in large pro shops working on Star 5 machines have time to take 30 minutes per frame, do you? My old pro bet one of the juniors that he could string a racquet in 12 minutes and won. Now, I'm not saying that the string job was pretty, but it is possible.

Yeah, I'm actually faster with glide bars. Thankfully, only 2 players on my team use a 18*20 pattern, though. Otherwise, I would probably be up to 23-25 min.