PDA

View Full Version : Berdych - "The second biggest talent on tour after Federer "...

GasquetGOAT
04-03-2010, 05:54 AM
One of the commentators on Foxsports said this during the Birdy/Sod match lastnight. I guess he was referring to pure ball striking talent not the mental aspect. What do you think? Personally I'd put Nalbandian ahead of him.

AndyArodRoddick
04-03-2010, 06:07 AM
One of the commentators on Foxsports said this during the Birdy/Sod match lastnight. I guess he was referring to pure ball striking talent not the mental aspect. What do you think? Personally I'd put Nalbandian ahead of him.

Berdych is like Nalbandian with he's huge shots, but id give the edge to Berdych because of the firepower that Berdych has and Nalby simply does not.

samprasvsfederer123
04-03-2010, 06:58 AM
no i would not go that far, i just would not.

Djumex
04-03-2010, 07:07 AM
God save us from the Birdy hype if he wins this masters.......classic TW ****!

Semi-Pro
04-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Okay, he played one of the best matches I have ever seen him play yesterday but this is going too far.

rovex
04-03-2010, 07:12 AM
God save us from the Birdy hype if he wins this masters.......classic TW ****!

I agree. I think he will win today but will just disappear under the radar during the clay season and the rest of the year.

OddJack
04-03-2010, 07:12 AM
heh joke of the year so far.

Most talented but has never executed a dropshot winner and cant change pace with a slice

Nalbandian? The guy's not even close.. How can you compare David's nifty net game to someone like Berd who has almost zero? And that takes talent buddy.

TennisNinja
04-03-2010, 07:13 AM
I wouldn't say biggest talent, but you can't doubt he has lots of it.

All-rounder
04-03-2010, 07:14 AM
The guy who shows up once year has now become the second most talented......yea right

DownTheLine
04-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Delpo is WAYYYYY better at striking the ball then T- Berd!

Kick Serve 14
04-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Is he good? Yes. But the second biggest talent? No. He is farther down on my list. But still top 20 in my opinion in regards to top talent...

P_Agony
04-03-2010, 07:25 AM
I would say Nalby is a much greater talent and is capable of a far greater variety of shots.

djokovicgonzalez2010
04-03-2010, 07:26 AM
I agree. Did you see that insane passing shot off an overhead?

nhat8121
04-03-2010, 07:29 AM
i concur with nalby being much much more talented than birdman.

DownTheLine
04-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Have you guys seen the video of Nalby in Miami at court level? He pulls off some big backhands.

SandV62
04-03-2010, 03:08 PM
I have one thing to say, when Berdych hits that flat forehand it make a thnuder noise that no one was ever able to produce except safin.

flyinghippos101
04-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I guess the Ljubicic craze has faded. He's sooooo last week.

davey25
04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Haha hilarious. Lets jump on the last guy to have a good tournament bandwagon. Berdych isnt even top 15 in talent amongst all of todays player.

forzamilan90
04-04-2010, 06:51 AM
i hope roddick beats him.

PSNELKE
04-04-2010, 06:58 AM
berdych, donald young, gulbis, gasquet, naldbandian, all these guys are talented but they´ll never win a slam or something like that.
Talent is not enough.
IMO Cilic, JMDP are the only young and talented guys on the tour (except of nadal, murray and dojoker) who will play a role at the top in the future.

DRII
04-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Gimblestob is hardly ever aware of what he is saying. He is known for talking just for the pleasure of it.

his pleasure!

OKUSA
04-04-2010, 07:59 AM
safin will be the only talent to win 2 grand slams without a top 50 mental game, that's how good he was

TheTruth
04-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Oh, Gimelstob said it? Then what's to discuss. It seems in every match the current player has the biggest forehand in the game. It's too funny.

In recent matches Federer, Gonzalez, Blake, Nadal, Del Potro, Andy R., and now Berdych have all had the biggest forehands in the game.

GasquetGOAT
04-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Gimblestob is hardly ever aware of what he is saying. He is known for talking just for the pleasure of it.

his pleasure!

So that was Gimblestob commentating for Foxsports? Same guy who likes to shout, "Murraculous", "Roddiculous"?

Matt H.
04-04-2010, 08:56 AM
one of the things i hate most is absolute statements based off one time events. Commentators do it all the time.

this is what makes the TW forum such a love/hate thing for me. The massive pile on when someone wins a big match/title or loses a big match/title.

Wilander Fan
04-04-2010, 10:27 AM

I am guessing he was just trying to hype what has to be a disappointing final in a tournament that had most of the top ten participating. The match was too boring for me to continue watching after the first set.

Cesc Fabregas
04-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Nadal is the clearly the most talented on the tour after Federer.

GasquetGOAT
04-04-2010, 11:16 AM

I thought a lot of people think Nadal is all about mental toughness and hard work?

veroniquem
04-04-2010, 09:41 PM
What an absurd thing to say. Really.

TheTruth
04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I am guessing he was just trying to hype what has to be a disappointing final in a tournament that had most of the top ten participating. The match was too boring for me to continue watching after the first set.

That's when I checked out too. That was the most boring match I've ever seen. Roddick's game is a real snoozer.

ruerooo
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I thought a lot of people think Nadal is all about mental toughness and hard work?

A player can be mentally tough, work hard, and also be the most talented player on tour next to Roger.

These aren't binaries. :)

rossi46
04-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Players on the tour other than Federer who have more talent than Berdych

Nadal
Nalbandian
Del Potro
Gonzalez
Murray
Djokovic
Tsonga
Gasquet
Blake
Monfils
Baghdatis
Cilic
Ljubicic
Wawrinka

Whoever said that Berdych is the 2nd biggest talent after Federer must have been smoking some pretty heavy stuff. Bewildering really.

OJ ROD
04-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Players on the tour other than Federer who have more talent than Berdych

Nadal
Nalbandian
Del Potro
Gonzalez
Murray
Djokovic
Tsonga
Gasquet
Blake
Monfils
Baghdatis
Cilic
Ljubicic
Wawrinka

Whoever said that Berdych is the 2nd biggest talent after Federer must have been smoking some pretty heavy stuff. Bewildering really.

Smokin bewildering stuff.

Chris Rizutto
04-05-2010, 06:30 AM

Clearly you are a fangirl uncapable of objective discussion.

veroniquem
04-05-2010, 06:36 AM
And what would be objective about saying Berdych is the second best talent on tour? Not only doesn't that sound objective but also completely extravagant and not backed up by results in the slightest.

GasquetGOAT
06-03-2010, 05:01 AM
I guess Berdych is finally living up to his potential...

Li Ching Yuen
06-03-2010, 05:04 AM

his pleasure!

Oh, Gimelstob said it? Then what's to discuss. It seems in every match the current player has the biggest forehand in the game. It's too funny.

In recent matches Federer, Gonzalez, Blake, Nadal, Del Potro, Andy R., and now Berdych have all had the biggest forehands in the game.

What a delusioned uninformed forum this is. Robbie Koenig said that. Gimelstob doesn't commentate for FoxSports.

Marius_Hancu
06-03-2010, 05:29 AM
The second in hands and all-court artistry is no doubt Gasquet.
Poor conditioning and mental, though.

vortex1
06-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Next thing those delusional clowns will be calling Gulbis the second best clay courter of this generations.

IvanisevicServe
06-03-2010, 07:14 AM
What is "talent," exactly, anyway? A lot of guys have great ground strokes, but maybe they had to work really hard to get them...so they're not "naturally talented."

And then there's kind of this mystery as to why some players are considered "talented" and others aren't. Andy Roddick is pretty talented to be able to hit serves at 145 MPH, IMO. He can hit the ball as hard as anyone (maybe not on the backhand wing, but he's improved that...with work, which I guess means he's not as talented...or does it?).

Then there's movement...speed, quickness, court coverage...

What makes Federer so talented is he has all of those things in high quantities. After that...you have a lot of incomplete players. Monfils can run like a deer and has the strength to hit big serves and forehands (but he pushes)...but his backhand isn't great and he doesn't have any variety/finesse abilities. On the other hand, Berdych can and will blast the ball when his feet are set but he doesn't move particularly well.

For my money, though, the biggest underachiever on tour is Tsonga. He has seemingly effortless ability but he hasn't reached that next level.

PSNELKE
06-03-2010, 07:17 AM
It doesn´t matter who said that.. It´s not true anyway.

hcb0804
06-03-2010, 07:22 AM
I agree. I think he will win today but will just disappear under the radar during the clay season and the rest of the year.

Semi finals of the French, and he's been DESTROYING everyone he's played. Berdy hasn't exactly disappeared on clay. I was at the Miami match this year when Berdy beat the socks off of Soderling, granted it was on hard court. Berdy may have a tougher time on clay against Soderling, but he sure is playing well right now.

Ocean Drive
06-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Nalbandian is the most overrated tennis player since online forums existed.

GasquetGOAT
06-03-2010, 11:02 AM

Maybe overrated but still an underachiever.

davey25
06-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Without a doubt.

Li Ching Yuen
06-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Who is more talented...Berdych or Soderling?

hawk eye
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Who is more talented...Berdych or Soderling?

To be on the safer side I'll wait until after tomorrow's SF.. if one match can answer this question in the first place.
At first impression, Berdych strokes and movement look more fluent to me. Watching both players hit for the first time, I think most would vote for the Birdman. But taking style over substance is too easy as far as judging talent/ablity is concerned. In the end it's all about effectiveness.
For sure we now both have equal crappy volleys, so we can narrow the debate on serve, movement, groundies and tactics. And mental game of course, if you consider that a talent. Taken that into account, I give the edge to Sod.

OddJack
06-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Berd is blooming, could be love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6C23Ps352o

Outbeyond
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
One of the commentators on Foxsports said this during the Birdy/Sod match lastnight.

So suddenly Berdych is The Next Big Thing? But - wait! - I thought that was Gulbis! :confused: Or, er, Del Potro (although Del Potro is the only one with the goods, in my opinion)...

But to understand the sudden and amusing puffery of Berd, one only needs to look to the source: Fox Sports, Fox News, Fox ANYTHING!....well, to me that's enough said.:twisted:

veroniquem
06-03-2010, 02:04 PM
No that's Soderling. He's already unbeatable on clay and he will be #1 at the end of the year :???:

Outbeyond
06-03-2010, 02:11 PM
No that's Soderling. He's already unbeatable on clay and he will be #1 at the end of the year :???:

Oh, but Sod's not The Next Big Thing....he's The Second Coming.

Anaconda
06-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Yeah, it's funny how his number one fans always throw his name about, especially when he creeps into GOAT threads and is always rated highly next to the all time greats of the game. And really, outside his 2H BH (which is overrated) he has nothing, no big shot; Similar to Hitcham Arazi, good ball striker but not enough game.

IMO Safin is the most talented from the past decade to hold a racket and eclipses Federer's shotmaking ability by a mile.

Li Ching Yuen
06-03-2010, 02:53 PM
IMO Safin is the most talented from the past decade to hold a racket and eclipses Federer's shotmaking ability by a mile.

I laughed really bad. haha

davey25
06-03-2010, 02:59 PM
If there were a bunch of Anaconda's I would also say Safin is overrated too but since his opinions are not the norm but the wild fanatical extreme it is ok. The more consensus opinion is that he could have won 5-8 slams if he had given his all and I think that is a fair summary of his potential. He was not the potential GOAT but he was a phenomenal talent and one of the few with the potential to beat Federer on one surface (hard courts) at his best.

Nalbandian though is flat out way overrated. Just look at the other thread where one blind Nalbandian fanboy (that ambk clown) argues how he supposably has a better overall game and had as much or more potential than Djokovic. People saying the guy could have been an all time great need to give their heads a shake. I mean with Safin I can atleast understand, I might not go quite that far but I can atleast rational the comments. With Nalbandian it is like WTF. At best he had potential to win 1 or 2 slams. As it was one of his closest times to winning a slam he played his best and couldnt even finish off a subpar Roddick who played his worst match of the summer. And his other 2 he couldnt win slam semifinals with Gaudio and Baghdatis.

Li Ching Yuen
06-03-2010, 03:03 PM
If Safin in his prime would've been around with these powerhouses( Soderling, Nadal, Berdych, Del Potro), believe me, he wouldn't have won jack ****.

He had a pretty badass double hander, that I have to admit.

davey25
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
As for Berdych he is a talented player of course but 2nd most talented on tour is definitely stretching it. It is pretty hard to argue he is more talented or ever had more potential than anyone in the current top 5. And there are others currently lower ranked than him you could argue as more talented- Gasquet (I wouldnt but some would), Baghdatis perhaps. More talented than guys like Davydenko and Roddick I would agree with, but those guys are workhorses who have earned their overachieving (relative to natural talent) success levels.

As for compared to Soderling talent wise? Hard to say, probably a similar sort of level. Soderling will probably have the better career though.

Of the current top 10 Davydenko and Roddick are the only two I would say Berdych is clearly more "talented" than, although I suppose you could argue anyone outside the top 5.

Anaconda
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
If Safin in his prime would've been around with these powerhouses( Soderling, Nadal, Berdych, Del Potro), believe me, he wouldn't have won jack ****.

Yeah Safin can deal with Sampras in slam finals and prime Federer in 2005, however Safin wouldn't win against guys like JMDP, Soderling and Berdych. :roll:

davey25
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Just curious did you watch the 2005 Australian Open semis or the 2000 U.S Open final?

Cup8489
06-03-2010, 03:15 PM

sorry. Safin was really good all around.. i don't think it'd be too hard for him to outclass any of those you mentioned in his prime.. he embarassed Sampras and beat Federer at the height of his powers in a come-from-behind victory.

Li Ching Yuen
06-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Just curious did you watch the 2005 Australian Open semis or the 2000 U.S Open final?

In fact I did. I think that semi from 2005 is the most overrated match in the last decade. And I don't mean Safin here, I mean the match in general, I seriously watched that match and thought that it was straight-up boring at some point. Sure there were some great moments, but I just can't get super-excited about it, just because Federer lost.

As for the US Open final against Sampras, what I can say is that I was impressed by how Safin held up his serve through out that match, because we all knew that he had some firepower in his ground game, and Sampras isn't exactly the kind of guy that could've bullied his opponents on their serve.

davey25
06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
In fact I did. I think that semi from 2005 is the most overrated match in the last decade. And I don't mean Safin here, I mean the match in general, I seriously watched that match and thought that it was straight-up boring at some point. Sure there were some great moments, but I just can't get super-excited about it, just because Federer lost.

As for the US Open final against Sampras, what I can say is that I was impressed by how Safin held up his serve through out that match, because we all knew that he had some firepower in his ground game, and Sampras isn't exactly the kind of guy that could've bullied his opponents on their serve.

Fair enough. Your opinions on the 2005 Aussie match imparticular go against the majority but to each their own.

Rhino
06-30-2010, 03:57 AM
Should be a good match then...

GasquetGOAT
07-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Looks like Berdych has finally proved the naysayers wrong. Consecutive great performances in slams and now a Wimbledon finalist.:)

IMO, in terms of talent, he's right up there with DP if not more. More talented than Soderling for sure, Berdy's net play and slice are miles better than Soderling.

muzza123
07-03-2010, 09:04 AM
It's often been said that the top 3 "talents" currently playing the game are Federer, Nalbandian and Berdych.

I do love watching these guys play each other though. These three hit the cleanest ball, no doubt about it. Especially when it's Fed v Nalby - it's the closer thing to two artists of the game trying to outplay (not out-hit) each other whilst painting a masterpiece in the process!

GasquetGOAT
07-03-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure if he's on Fed and Nalby's level but he is close. Both Fed and Nalby have more "shots" in their arsenal but what impresses me is the "ease" in which Berdy executes the shots he's capable of (forehand and backhand DTLs, CCs, volleys...). It was funny to watch how he out-sliced Djokovic in that semi.

Anaconda
07-03-2010, 09:21 AM
I get ripped constantly for Saying Safin is as big a talent as Federer. LOL. After this thread i don't feel so bad.

GasquetGOAT
07-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Safin was no more talented than Berdych, just a little better mentally though still a headcase.

Anaconda
07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Oh Safin has double the amount of talent Berdych ever had. Safin was more injury prone, rarely showed up, getting into club brawls and still won 2 slams. Safin actually outclasses Berdych in every department other than the FH - and that's debateable.