PDA

View Full Version : Damir plans return to Australia

Yours!05
05-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Let's all pretend we aren't home?

Damir plans return to Australia By Will Swanton
May 8, 2005
The Age

Damir Dokic has described leaving Australia as the worst decision of his life and says his "crazy act" contributed to his daughter Jelena's dramatic slide down the world tennis rankings.

From his home near the Serbian capital of Belgrade, Dokic said he was considering returning to the country that he left in a huff over what he claimed was a rigged Australian Open draw in 2001, and hoped to patch up his relationship with Jelena by offering to become her full-time coach again.

Jelena, the Belgrade-born 22-year-old whom Tennis Australia groomed for greatness, has plummeted from fourth to 443rd in the world in the past 18 months.

She can expect a telephone call from her estranged father soon.

"I know I made a big mistake when I left Australia," Damir Dokic said.

"All the time, I think about this. I was very, very angry when there was the bad draw but it was a big mistake for me to leave.

"I made a very crazy act. Every day now, I think I've made a big mistake for me and for Jelena. The best years of my life were in Australia. Leaving has been a bad thing for Jelena's tennis . . . Everything good that happened, it happened in Australia. I might go back.

"It was a very important decision for Jelena and for my family and I think I did it wrong. I am very sorry."

Jelena was No. 4 in the world in 2002 and was still in the top 20 this time last year. But the former Wimbledon semi-finalist has been freefalling lately to go close to the ignominy of playing on the secondary Challenger Tour.

"She speaks to her mother, not to me," Dokic said. "But I will speak with her. Before when we speak, we speak about when she was very popular and in a good position on the rankings.

"She doesn't like to listen about that. But I will be talking to her again soon. I will ask Jelena to be her coach again. I want her to let me. It is possible."

He might be in luck, given Jelena's comments after her first-round loss to Alyona Bondarenko in Portugal last month - a defeat that left her so shattered she didn't shake hands with her opponent.

"I need to start at the beginning, like I did when I was 14 or 15," she told reporters.

Re-enter Damir? He denied he would be a tyrant of a coach and said he understood the need for his daughter to have a life outside the goldfish bowl of professional tennis. But he made it clear he would not want Jelena to have too much of a life.

"She must listen and work, work, work," he said. "She must have time for other things, I know this for fun and for shopping.

"I do not want her to be a robot . . . but too much of these things are no good for tennis. I don't want her to work all day, but she must work a couple of hours each day and she must work very hard. She can only stop for a drink."

Dokic was eliminated in the second round of the Rabat Open on Thursday, losing 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 to China's Na Li.

but there's more...:

Damir Dokic believes Tony Roche - with a little help from Pat Rafter - was the best thing that happened to Jelena while in Australia.

"When we lived in Australia she practised with Mr Tony Roche", Damir said. "I will never forget him. He's a very nice person, a very good man. I think he's the best coach in the world. There were many times she practised with Mr Pat Rafter, together with Mr Tony. She used to practise for hours a day, but now she doesn't practise enough."

Rafter, Australia's former world No. 1, had told him that succeeding in tennis was only 10 per cent reliant on natural ability , Damir said.
"Mr Pat Rafter said to me, 'I think everybody must have talent, but 90 per cent of it is hard work'. Mr Pat started to practise with Mr Tony when he was 21 and his ranking was 60. And then he was no. 1 in the world."

Haka Boy
05-07-2005, 09:33 PM
From all the words the mentally challenged one Damir spoke I think the defining moment should be when he states “She speaks to her mother, not to me” Hello Damir!! Haven’t you learnt anything about your behavior and treatment of your own flesh and blood namely your family?!!!

Still he manages to make such statements such as “He denied he would be a tyrant of a coach and said he understood the need for his daughter to have a life outside the goldfish bowl of professional tennis. But he made it clear he would not want Jelena to have too much of a life".

But then in a such a fathers thoughtful loving tone added "She must listen and work, work, work," he said. "She must have time for other things; I know this for fun and for shopping. "I do not want her to be a robot . . . but too much of these things are no good for tennis. I don't want her to work all day, but she must work a couple of hours each day and she must work very hard. She can only stop for a drink."

Oh please, Demir, it’s so obvious your funds to your opulent life through your daughter have run out, so now you try this "mind game" and pathetic tactics on your own daughter.

I ask you all....With the world on a campaign against child abuse where the hell is the campaigners where this girl is concerned??

christo
05-07-2005, 10:45 PM
The guy is a scumbag, should be on a watchlist for child abusers, must be on the pity pot during a sober moment, as you say he's probably broke and if you're broke Oz is a much better place to be than Belgrade.

AndrewD
05-08-2005, 03:24 AM
christo,

fair's fair. We don't want to deny the rest of the world Damir's 'unique' take on life, parent-child relationships or the language formerly known as English . I figure he's done Europe and he's done Australia so, in the spirit of fairness I think he should be allowed to settle in America or, possibly, Canada. I mean, you've got 50 states he can offend, we've only got 6 LOL.

Camilio Pascual
05-09-2005, 07:11 AM
Damir hasn't learned anything. He refers to the "bad draw" that angered him. Until he realizes this is his lone perception and that he is somewhat delusional, he will continue to have a negative impact on his daughter's life. What an egomaniacal jerk.

Marius_Hancu
05-09-2005, 07:16 PM
christo,

fair's fair. We don't want to deny the rest of the world Damir's 'unique' take on life, parent-child relationships or the language formerly known as English . I figure he's done Europe and he's done Australia so, in the spirit of fairness I think he should be allowed to settle in America or, possibly, Canada. I mean, you've got 50 states he can offend, we've only got 6 LOL.

No, thank you very much.
He should stay where he is.

Jack the Hack
05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
I was disturbed by:

He might be in luck, given Jelena's comments after her first-round loss to Alyona Bondarenko in Portugal last month - a defeat that left her so shattered she didn't shake hands with her opponent.

This type of action is very un-sportsman-like, and shows a disrespectful attitude toward the game and her opponents. However, she probably learned this from her father...

What Dokic needs is to decide if she wants to continue pursuing this game. If so, she needs to change her attitude and surround herself with good people in tennis who know what they are talking about. A phone call and quick transportation back to Roche and Rafter sounds like a great idea. Playing tennis as a profession is a priviledge and an honor, and nobody "deserves" to win based on some good results they had when they were a teenager.

When Agassi dropped into the 100s in the rankings, he went to the challenger tourneys and played his guts out. No prima donna action, just hard work to get back to where he wanted to be. He even took a couple losses to "unknown" players, but fought his way back. Dokic can do the same with a better attitude, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should she let her Dad come anywhere near her. He set her back for years with his poor parenting and crazy antics! No matter how much he is sorry, he is not capable of helping her...

On another note, I thought there was an awesome quote in this article from Rafter:

Rafter, Australia's former world No. 1, had told him that succeeding in tennis was only 10 per cent reliant on natural ability , Damir said. "Mr Pat Rafter said to me, 'I think everybody must have talent, but 90 per cent of it is hard work'.

There was an excellent thread a couple weeks back about making the jump from a 4.5 player to 5.0 (and beyond) over here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=47773

If this topic interests you, check the thread out. This quote matches the advice that an "AndrewD" posted, and was one of the better posts that I have seen on this board. (I'm going to put the Rafter quote in that thread to top it up again...)