PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Power Poly Review

JStar7
04-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Its been a long time coming, and I've been waiting to give this string a try. The whole Mantis range has been sitting in my bag for months, and I was eager to give this a try, yet I already fresh string in my frames by the time I got a hold of the Mantis Range. So I had this strung up yesterday, in my Youtek Mid at 57/55 and here are my thoughts so far.

Groundies: Lots of spin and pop. The ball was flying off the racket this morning. I felt like a flash of lighting was going off my racket. Good control as well though. I had some well placed forehands with nice spin that painted the lines and my topspin backhand lob and topspin forehand lob were working nicely today, much better than my previous setup (Gut mains/Poly Crosses).

Serves: Flying off the string nicely. My flat serve painted the tee pretty nicely and I was hitting my spots with good pace. Second serve slice was nice and I felt I could place it anywhere I want. The harder you swing, the more pop, and the pop was pretty nasty.

Volleys: Nice and crisp with good pop. Touch volleys were good too, even though its strung up relatively tight.

Overall so far this string feels nice and its pretty good on the arm. Not too harsh, yet I got the feedback I want with no dampener. Ball pocketing is solid with this string. I felt like I could put away shots that I wanted to once I setup for them. There was also some effortless power and spin as well. My rally ball had some nasty action on it, giving my baseliner teammates some trouble trying to get it back to me. Doesn't have the same pop as my go to string though, Lux BBO. Yet it has a tad more spin and thats only b/c the gauge is thinner. BBO is right behind it in spin though.

I'll update it once I get more hours out of this string as so far its only gotten 2 1/2 hours of play. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the tension maitnence is like as I'm trying to replace my holy grail of a string, yet not so easy on my pocket Lux BBO. Hopefully it settles into a nice tension and retains it like BBO.

JStar7
04-06-2010, 06:16 AM
After a couple more hours with this string, its very lively, in fact too lively at times. The string settled into a nice tension, but the problem for me is that its lively, very very lively. There's alot of power and spin to be had, but I felt when hitting out, the ball would sail. I hit in the sweetspot most of the time, and maybe a tad bit outside sometimes, but I found when really swinging out, the ball would sail. Maybe I need some lead on my racket, but this string performed excellent for the first 0-2 hours ....more updates to come...

JStar7
04-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Update. I put some lead on my frame and the liveliness was tamed. So ignore my second post. This string has nice action off the ball. Lovely spin, lovely power. I still however feel like I can't full swing out with this string. However, brushing up behind the ball gives me great action and pace. The power on serve is still there. Adds a couple miles an hour to my serve. Stay tuned...

sberman51
05-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Interesting review. I also found the lead tape interesting. Where did you put the lead tape, and how much of it did you put on? Above, you said that you felt like you couldn't fully swing out. Do you think it would help that issue if multis were used in the crosses instead of this string in both mains and crosses? I also noticed your choice of tension. You said that the string settled into a very lively tension. I don't want the ball sailing out, for sure. So I might want to string it a bit tighter to have it settle a little tighter for more control and less power.

From your review, I am thinking of setting the tensions somewhere around 58.5lbs/mains and 60.5lbs/crosses(MCS?)

Based on your experience with the string, what do you think of my decision?

Thanks!