PDA

View Full Version : New Kirschbaum Helix co-POLY, Review for the new flagship string

Fedace
04-03-2010, 05:53 PM
ok finally got to play with this new and the latest creation from Kirschbaum. From what i am being told, it is in response to some people not getting as much spin as they like from the Proline 2 string which is a excellent string in itself. Also i suppose they had to come out with something new since there is so much Hype over the Babolat RPM blast.

USTA 4.5-5.0 player, mostly play doubles now, body breaking down from too many years of tennis. Helix strung at 62lbs. Got to play League match doubles and some practice singles afterwards. played about 2 and 1/2 hours of hard hitting. Was using Yonex RQIS tour-2 racket. will scale of 1 to 5 for the review. 5 being best.

1. Groundstrokes -- I was hitting full speed today, didn't hold back on most shots. String had excellent Control, better than Proline 2 in fact. and little better than Pro Hurr tour even. I could take full cuts at the ball and keep the ball in play and deep once i got used to the string feel. Feel was bit Muted but had good feedback-- could feel the ball on the strings for a long time - really came in handy on Topspin lobs. 4 out of 5
2. Spin potential -- Definite improvement over Proline2. Much better spin. I imagine even better spin at lower tensions. Strung fairly high today at 62 lbs since i was playing a live match and i wanted good control with the new string. 5 out of 5
3. Power --- Little Muted but Lively. Little less power than Proline2 but not by much. This string would be perfect for people who felt Proline 2 was little too powerful. 3.5 out of 5
4. Volleys -- Pleasent surprise,, very nice control and touch on the volleys. I could stick the volleys with good power but still had good control. could place the volleys within 1-2 inches of lines with ease. 4 out of 5
5. Serves -- Mixed feeling on this. Plenty of power to be had but at times i had some control issues. I didnt' have a good serving day so i hate to blame the string. It was more me than the string. but when i did time the serve well, i was able to generate some nice spin,,, Both topspin and Severe Slice serves out wide. 4 out of 5

I will add some more later.:)

Murray_fan1
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Fedace,

Do you have any experience with other textured strings i.e Tornado, Spin X, Hepta twist? If so how does this compare?

Fedace
04-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Fedace,

Do you have any experience with other textured strings i.e Tornado, Spin X, Hepta twist? If so how does this compare?

sorry other spin string i use regularly is Pro hurr tour. also will try the RPM blast when it comes out. also tried Pro supex blue gear in the past. do you want me to compare it to these strings ??

Ron Insana
04-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Good initial review. I love love PLII but am lukewarm to other Kirschbaum strings such as Touch Turbo and Spiky Shark which I found to be so so. SS and other textured strings in general don't suit me because I find them too springy and not have a reliable enough response for a flat ball hitter. Fedace, I am very interested in your opinion of how Helix compares to Pro Hurricane. Are they even comparable? You mentioned that its control is even better than PH. Do you believe the PH series (as old as it is) is still the standard for control strings? I have tried many polys, the latest and greatest, and have not found anything with the unique ball holding capabilities as good ol' PH. After thinking about it for a long time, I think I have finally pinned down what it is--PH is very forgiving of flaws in your technique. It sucks up all your bad timing and technical shortcomings, holds the ball longer than other stings, and then shoots out a controlled, tightly spun ball that never seems to fly long. For instance, I could never hit the ball on the rise if my life depended on it. With PH, I was scooping back half volleys from the baseline with regularity, not offensively, but at least I did not get pushed back.

-------------------------

Prince EXO3 Ignite 95 - Tonic Longevity 15L/PH 16g white Volkl Supergrip

Fedace
04-03-2010, 07:25 PM
^^Never hit with Pro hurr. Only hit with Pro hurr Tour which is different string from what i was told. If pro hurricane is that good, maybe i should try it.
I felt like Helix has Better control than the Pro hurr Tour. More predictable response and very high level of spin so i could keep the ball in even when taking high topspin groundies like Nadal's groundies on the Rise. I would just take it on the rise and rip it and the ball would still stay in. I couldn't do that with Pro hurr Tour, ball will sail on me about 1/4 of the time with pro hurr tour.

Fedace
04-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok on the Return of serve. I would give this string 4 out of 5. Very nice control with Extra topspin on the feet of incoming serve and volleyer. and i had extra zip when i needed it. Had good feel if i had to put up a emergency lob. I could place the ball real close to the baseline and knew exactly where the ball was going to land. so even on returns, the extra feel and spin really came in handy.

fgs
04-03-2010, 11:28 PM
hello fedace,
i read your review of the helix with interest since i'm currently waiting for my samples to arrive.
could you possibly compare the helix to the kirschbaum competition (which is my regular string) or to the luxilon adrenaline? thank you very much.

Fedace
04-04-2010, 04:52 AM
hello fedace,
i read your review of the helix with interest since i'm currently waiting for my samples to arrive.
could you possibly compare the helix to the kirschbaum competition (which is my regular string) or to the luxilon adrenaline? thank you very much.

Sorry about that. I have not used Competition nor adrenaline in the past. but in keeping with usual Kirschbaum strings,,,,,this new Helix is very soft even softer than Proline2. I think that is the direction that these mega spin friendly Co-Poly are going into. RPM blast is a soft feel string too from what i am hearing.

Helix felt really soft and dampened with little vibration,,,,surprisingly little vibration for a poly --- better on the arm even more so than the proline2.
It felt soft and spinny with good control. but power isn't something you feel right away. Power is there when you need it however. when you take that big cut at the ball, shots came off with good heat and major spin.

fgs
04-04-2010, 05:03 AM
i played the pro line II in 1.20 and basically liked it. power was slightly less than with the competition but control was considerably better with the competition, without feeling harsher. the problem i had with the pro line II was that after some 4-5 hours i felt the string went dead. i strung 23kg in the mains, but until it broke (around 7 hours) i was not having any control anymore. this doesn't happen with neither the competition nor the adrenaline.
i wouldn't mind a softer string as long as i can hit until the last stroke. i'm supposed to get my demo samples in about 10 days and then i'll find out myself. thank you and best regards.

Fedace
04-04-2010, 05:07 AM
i played the pro line II in 1.20 and basically liked it. power was slightly less than with the competition but control was considerably better with the competition, without feeling harsher. the problem i had with the pro line II was that after some 4-5 hours i felt the string went dead. i strung 23kg in the mains, but until it broke (around 7 hours) i was not having any control anymore. this doesn't happen with neither the competition nor the adrenaline.
i wouldn't mind a softer string as long as i can hit until the last stroke. i'm supposed to get my demo samples in about 10 days and then i'll find out myself. thank you and best regards.

Right. I only had the chance to hit for 2 and 1/2 hours yesterday. It felt good all the way thru. but not sure what will happen when it gets to 6 or 8 hour mark.

Fedace
04-04-2010, 05:09 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Kirschbaum_Helix_16_130_String/descpageAC-HELIX13.html

Available at TW now.

Fed Kennedy
04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Any update on the longevity of this string?

Fedace
04-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Any update on the longevity of this string?

Ok passing 5 hour mark. Starting to see some loss of power, not much though. Still nice feel and spin. We will see how it performs at 8 hour mark. Proline 2 used to go dead at about 6-8 hour mark.

David123
04-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Oh wow i mite consider it since i really like the PL II

Fedace
04-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Oh wow i mite consider it since i really like the PL II

David, this string is slightly different than Proline 2. It was built to give More spin, More control, and more muted feel with Less vibration. but this string is less powerful than Proline 2. but control is much better so i think it is a tradeoff. Occasionally with Proline 2, the balls would just fly off long by 4-5 inches for no real good reason but you won't see that with this string..:)

David123
04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
wow. It actually sounds like the perfect string from the way you're describing it. I actaully like strings with some muted feel in them, and i am looking for more spin in my groundstrokes, as well as more control with less vibration. However i didnt find the proline 2 to be too powerful in my 2hr hit (before i shanked the top due to the wind and broke the string :( ) Now i am really looking forward to trying out this string. Will place an order in the near future. Thanks for the info :)

sliceboy33
05-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Sounds great! I'm ordering some packs.

Im curious to compare the playability of the 1.25 Helix to the 1.15 PLII...
The 18 gauge feels amazing but just doesn't last enough.

Let us know how the durability of the new Helix compares to the Pro Line II (whatever gauge you're using).

Fedace
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Sounds great! I'm ordering some packs.

Im curious to compare the playability of the 1.25 Helix to the 1.15 PLII...
The 18 gauge feels amazing but just doesn't last enough.

Let us know how the durability of the new Helix compares to the Pro Line II (whatever gauge you're using).

I am using 18 G Helix. I have a free set of 17G from Kirschbaum since i am a sponsored player. but have not used it. 18 G lasted me about 8-10 hours. The playability remained good til it broke so not sure when it will go dead.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Sounds like a good review but, was hoping you would be able to compare to hepta, tornado and ect.

Fedace
05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a good review but, was hoping you would be able to compare to hepta, tornado and ect.

I can't compare something i haven't played like tornado hepta

ODYSSEY Mk.4
05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I can't compare something i haven't played like tornado hepta

yeah I know, I re-read the other post's. Still a good review on it just curious on how it would relate; since Kirschbaum has been pretty consistent on making good strings.

AV1
05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Anyone else have any experience/feedback on Kirschbaum's Helix?

Fedace
05-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Anyone else have any experience/feedback on Kirschbaum's Helix?

I say Helix is as good as the RPM blast and it is softer too.

amorco
05-25-2010, 02:50 PM

I definitely agree. I had a chance to compare RPM blast against the Helix and it is a much superior string. More power and feel, durability is the same, but the only downside was the performance only lasted with two uses or 8 hours of play compare with the RPM blast which seem to last longer. I believe Helix is one of the best polys out there in the market today. :)

jmhs
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks for your review.

You think that Helix is both softer than RPM Blast and has more spin potential than PL II. Wow...that's a major endorsement.

Do you think Helix has more spin capacity than RPM Blast?

What is your favorite string for the combo of spin capacity AND softness?

Didn't see it...did you give an hour range for Helix re: longevity? Compare longevity to PL II?

Thanks!

Fedace
05-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your review.

You think that Helix is both softer than RPM Blast and has more spin potential than PL II. Wow...that's a major endorsement.

Do you think Helix has more spin capacity than RPM Blast?

What is your favorite string for the combo of spin capacity AND softness?

Didn't see it...did you give an hour range for Helix re: longevity? Compare longevity to PL II?

Thanks!

I think RPM has slightly more spin capacity. but this is not a positive since the balls fall short frequently with RPM due to this problem. RPM may have slightly better control too, but this is only slight. not sure about longevity since i cut out all my strings after 6 hours.

GameSetMatch
09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
^^ Are you still playing with Helix or has the honeymoon worn off? Am thinking about picking up a reel of this.

What's tension maintenance like - you say very little about this.

BobFL
09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
^^ Are you still playing with Helix or has the honeymoon worn off? Am thinking about picking up a reel of this.

Imho, Helix is by far the worst string from K'baum. You should definitely try a set before you decide to buy a reel...

GameSetMatch
09-01-2010, 02:56 PM
What's so bad about it exactly? I have to admit the only 'twisted' string I've had experience with is the rather lame and dead feeling Signum Pro Tornado.

I love the all round characteristics of Pro Line 2 but would like to see if there's a string that holds tension better, and is marginally less powerful. I do have a couple of sets of X-Code which I have yet to string up but it seems absurdly expensive, whereas the Kirschbaum stuff is pretty reasonably priced.

Fedace
09-01-2010, 02:57 PM

its not the worst. but definitely try a set before you buy a reel. tension maintanace is fair