PDA

View Full Version : Who's more impressive? Ljubicic at IW or Berdych at Miami?

Commando Tennis Shorts
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I was just thinking about this today. You know what's funny?

I think that Ljubicic by far was more impressive in Indian Wells than Berdych has been here, in that Ljubicic was just striking the ball so well and just got on a huge hotstreak, even though Berdych has beaten three top 10 players on the way to the finals (Ljubicic beat "only" two going into the IW finals).

Berdych hasn't really dominated like Ljubicic did last week, imo. Even the Soderling match wasn't so much a Berdych domination as it was a Soderling implosion (not to take anything away from Berdych or anything).

I was just interested to see what others thought, especially if Berdych wins tomorrow, which is a big "if"

samprasvsfederer123
04-03-2010, 08:04 PM
def ljubi

:???::???:

CanadianChic
04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Ljubicic definately. He hasn't been on the radar while Berdych has been through 2009.

Commando Tennis Shorts
04-03-2010, 08:14 PM
I see. I guess it's not as close as maybe I thought, lol

samprasvsfederer123
04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
ya ljibi was bigger, it was his birthday week, he beat everyone, he was out of the radar, he is close to retirement, he played way better than berd bich has and well it was just way bigger.

clayman2000
04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Ljubicic. When your groundstrokes look like John Mcenroe's, taking out Djokovic, Nadal and Roddick looks very good.

Telepatic
04-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Ljubicic but if Berdych beat Roddick as well he did alot as well..saving MP against Fed to beat him, beat Verdasco/Sod..

thalivest
04-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Ljubicic by far. Berdych got a totally off form Fed who still wasted chances to win the match, a badly error spraying Verdasco who wasted even more leads/opportunities than Federer inspite of his kind of form. He did beat Soderling impressively, but that was his only really strong showing.

Ljubicic was very impressive in all his wins, and didnt get as much help from his opponents as Berdych has enjoyed.

Augustus
04-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Let's wait till the final is played before jumping conclusions. If Berdych plays well and beats Roddick, his achievement will be more impressive for me. The guy's is considered a 'choker' and beats the guy he lost to eight times in a row in avery close match. Besides that, he actually backs it up with a gritt win against Verdasco and a demolition of Soderling, who's been in hot form.

Not to take anything away from what Ljubicic managed to do (beating Djokovic and Nadal is very impressive), but Berdych defeating his 'choker-image' would be really cool.

thalivest
04-04-2010, 03:31 AM
Let's wait till the final is played before jumping conclusions. If Berdych plays well and beats Roddick, his achievement will be more impressive for me. The guy's is considered a 'choker' and beats the guy he lost to eight times in a row in avery close match. Besides that, he actually backs it up with a gritt win against Verdasco and a demolition of Soderling, who's been in hot form.

Not to take anything away from what Ljubicic managed to do (beating Djokovic and Nadal is very impressive), but Berdych defeating his 'choker-image' would be really cool.

You forget that Verdasco and to some degree Soderling are known as bigger "chokers" than Berdych, not just here but in general. So defeating even bigger noted choking dogs isnt exactly killing your chokers image.

Augustus
04-04-2010, 05:00 AM
You forget that Verdasco and to some degree Soderling are known as bigger "chokers" than Berdych, not just here but in general. So defeating even bigger noted choking dogs isnt exactly killing your chokers image.

Have you read some old threads about Berdych, for example the ones that appeared after his loss to Federer at the AO? He was dubbed the biggest choker the world has ever known. Soderling certainly isn't considered a big choker (nowadays).

Overheadsmash
04-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Lubi was serving like a banshee with that new Head stick of his.

TheTruth
04-04-2010, 08:17 AM
I'll go with Berdych for finally shedding a large part of his choking image, and he did it with the current best. Ljubicic has been as high as three in the world and somewhat used to the pressure and what it takes to win big, important matches, even if he hasn't done it for awhile.

Berdych hasn't had that luxury. This week he faced down all his demons and conquered them. I hope he takes the final step today. If he does, he may well have the breakthrough many forecast years ago. It would be good for the game.

Go Berdych!

GasquetGOAT
04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
How about Roddick? Two finals in a row, and especially the way he beat an in form Nadal.

Augustus
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
How about Roddick? Two finals in a row, and especially the way he beat an in form Nadal.

I completely agree Roddick has been very impressive in Indian Wells/Miami, especially if he wins today.

davey25
04-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Ljubicic easily. Berdych basically had a lucky ride facing a badly out of form and choking Federer and Verdasco then an injured Soderling. Today he was schooled by Roddick, as most predicted he would be.

Ljubicic was very impressive in Indian Wells, not lucky but just very strong, and unlike Berdych was holding the trophy at the end.

ruerooo
04-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Ljubicic was very impressive in Indian Wells, not lucky but just very strong

Big serve, also very strategic.

I completely agree Roddick has been very impressive in Indian Wells/Miami

Also this, Augustus and GasquetGOAT.

Finalist and Champion; I'm thinking it doesn't get that much stronger than that.

Looking forward to seeing Rafa do brilliantly again during clay season.
He was semi-finalist in both tournaments here.

gunnd5000
04-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Ljubicic because he beat roddick where as berdych lost to an exhasted roddick

davey25
04-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Ljubicic because he beat roddick where as berdych lost to an exhasted roddick

Ljubicic is more talented than Berdych. A much superior serve, superior backhand, much better net game, and a much smarter and craftier player overall.

djokovicgonzalez2010
04-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Ljubicicy actually....won

LuckyR
04-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Lubi played one more "out of his head" match but he didn't have to play Roger, Berdych did.