PDA

View Full Version : Where does Venus go from here?

Andy Zarzuela
04-03-2010, 10:25 PM
So Venus just suffered one of the most embarrassing losses of her career...Clearly had an awful off-day.similar to what happened to Kim at the Aussie this year. Do you think she'll come back strong, or do you think this loss may hurt her a bit.

MotherMarjorie
04-04-2010, 01:53 AM
So Venus just suffered one of the most embarrassing losses of her career...Clearly had an awful off-day.similar to what happened to Kim at the Aussie this year. Do you think she'll come back strong, or do you think this loss may hurt her a bit.
Venus seems to continue her stellar play at the lower-tiered events against lower-ranked players, but struggles in the larger tournaments against the top players.

Venus played one of the worst matches of her entire career in the finals of a major tournament. And before anyone leaps, let's just say that Mother Marjorie understands that an untimely visit from a monthly visitor cannot explain away what we all witnessed Saturday.

We've seen this many times over with aging tennis champions as they begin their final decline. Venus is no exception. I think she'll hover around the tour long enough to play doubles with Serena at the 2012 Olympics, but beyond that, I wouldn't expect winning results from her in major tournaments playing singles.

thalivest
04-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Venus is past her prime. Her only chance for another big title is Wimbledon, and even there I wouldnt bet on her winning again. She wont win a hard court slam with Clijsters, Henin, and Serena the ones to take those in the next few years. She might not ever go beyond the 3rd round of the French again, in fact if I were her I would just skip that event the rest of the way as it is a futile effort. Go get some extra practice in on grass or rest your aging body during the French.

Objective Danny
04-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Its 3 years past time for Venus to be put out to pasture.

rossi46
04-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Neptune ??

Overheadsmash
04-04-2010, 04:54 AM
Time to retire. In fact, time for both Williams sisters to retire. They had a good run though, but I will not pay any attention to womens tennis with them around. I miss the Steffi days...

samprasvsfederer123
04-04-2010, 06:39 AM
she should retire if she doesnt win wimby this year i feel she wont de anything big anymore

YouJaySoup
04-04-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm a Venus fan so let's just say I'll be more optimistic,she'll try her best to go back to her winning ways and will not retire until 2012. To me the loss to Clijsters doesnt really mean anything,it was a horrible loss but looks like a match that Venus plays once in a blue moon. So me thinks she should just rest during the clay court season to nurse her thigh injury until Wimby comes on. She's even older than Fed,she should learn to start nursing and resting her body like Fed and Serena do.

pug
04-04-2010, 07:40 AM
"It wasn't my best day," said Williams, who had never lost a Miami final before.

"She played extremely solid, but it's not like I was blown off the court. Unfortunately I was my own worst enemy."

Well, her arrogance is certainly in better shape than her game.

Earth to venus! (pun intended) you were blown off the court.

TheTruth
04-04-2010, 08:06 AM
She was blown off the court, but she was making errors on practically every ball.

You can't take one match and make a career decision based on that. It's up to Venus whether she wants to play or not.

She's had a pretty good career and made tons of money. Maybe it's me, but if I endeavored to achieve something, and I did it, that would be good enough for me. I don't feel a need to compare myself against others and try to be the greatest, unparalleled, can't be touched person in the field.

Satisfaction comes from within, not from the accolades of others. Contentment is the key to success. Inner contentment that is.

jamesblakefan#1
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Venus is past her prime. Her only chance for another big title is Wimbledon, and even there I wouldnt bet on her winning again. She wont win a hard court slam with Clijsters, Henin, and Serena the ones to take those in the next few years. She might not ever go beyond the 3rd round of the French again, in fact if I were her I would just skip that event the rest of the way as it is a futile effort. Go get some extra practice in on grass or rest your aging body during the French.

She was just in the QF of the AO when everyone was saying she'd go out the 1st week. Albeit she had a generous draw and still couldn't get to the final when Li Na was practically giving her the match, but in any case to take someone who's been that close to a slam final recently, won a Premier event in Dubai earlier this year, and made Miami finals and say they are done on HC is illogical. Even if she's 'past her prime', so are Serena, Henin, and a majority of the tour. So she can still be successful.

Keep in mind that the past 4 times she's played in the USO she's lost to the eventual champ, so it's not like she's going out the jokers there. French of course, no chance, but that goes w/o saying; my point is, people have always been writing off Venus, yet here she is "past her prime" and still top 5 in the world and #2 in the Race so far this year. To say she's done based on one result, again, is illogical. Clijsters, Henin, and Serena are not possibly going to win EVERY HC slam the next few years, and even they are somewhat vulnerable.

Augustus
04-04-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't expect much from her during the clay season (QF at the French would be a good result), but she'll make at least the semis at Wimbledon and has a decent chance to win it.

Annika
04-04-2010, 09:26 AM
With two bandaged legs and her age, it will be tough playing in finals from now on. I wonder if she even thought she's be in the finals. Go KIM!!!

Objective Danny
04-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Speaking of finance, they don't impress me as the type who invest wisely. They make 3 million a year but have a 4 million a year lifestyle.

Five years after they're out of the game, they'll be on their arse.

Book it.

Tennis_Monk
04-04-2010, 11:07 AM

So Venus loses a final and we are back to talk about her retirement??

Nothing to worry. Wins and loss are part and parcel of tennis.

thalivest
04-04-2010, 11:12 AM
She was just in the QF of the AO when everyone was saying she'd go out the 1st week. Albeit she had a generous draw and still couldn't get to the final when Li Na was practically giving her the match, but in any case to take someone who's been that close to a slam final recently, won a Premier event in Dubai earlier this year, and made Miami finals and say they are done on HC is illogical. Even if she's 'past her prime', so are Serena, Henin, and a majority of the tour. So she can still be successful.

Keep in mind that the past 4 times she's played in the USO she's lost to the eventual champ, so it's not like she's going out the jokers there. French of course, no chance, but that goes w/o saying; my point is, people have always been writing off Venus, yet here she is "past her prime" and still top 5 in the world and #2 in the Race so far this year. To say she's done based on one result, again, is illogical. Clijsters, Henin, and Serena are not possibly going to win EVERY HC slam the next few years, and even they are somewhat vulnerable.

Well I dont think she is done winning non Wmbledons since she got spanked by Clijsters. I think that because she hasnt been in a non Wimbledon final since January 2003 now. That is over 7 years ago. Yeah at the U.S Open she seems to often lose to the champ, but that just shows she cant quite get over the hump there anymore. Good but not quite good enough for awhile. Aussie she often gets easy draws like this years you refer to and still only once in awhile gets to the quarters there now.

I would say Serena is past her peak (which was 2002-2003) but not past her prime. You dont win 4 of the last 6 slams past your prime. Henin well I will give her some more time in her comeback to tell for sure.

I dont see how the trio I mentioned winning every HC slam the next few years is that improbable. In the last 8 years the only players outside that trio to win any of the last 16 hard court slams are Kuznetsova once, Mauresmo once (retired now), Sharapova twice (pretty much done).

DRII
04-04-2010, 11:17 AM
So Venus loses a final and we are back to talk about her retirement??

Nothing to worry. Wins and loss are part and parcel of tennis.

Yeah, same ridiculous comments over and over!

All she needs is a good rest...

THUNDERVOLLEY
04-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, same ridiculous comments over and over!

All she needs is a good rest...

That, or like Sampras in his career's twilight years, focus only on the slams you are best at; in Venus' case, that is Wimbledon alone--it suits her aging body well enough, and she still has the goods to decimate just about everyone on that surface, save for her sister.

davey25
04-04-2010, 11:47 AM
That, or like Sampras in his career's twilight years, focus only on the slams you are best at; in Venus' case, that is Wimbledon alone--it suits her aging body well enough, and she still has the goods to decimate just about everyone on that surface, save for her sister.

I agree with that. One has to be careful about prioritizing as they get older. I do think Venus has the potential to beat Serena on grass too, but she needs to bring her A-game to do it which she certainly didnt in last years final unfortunately.

jones101
04-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Venus still has two titles for this year and is 19-2 overall, and back in the top 4, approaching 30 years old, not bad at all.

People talking of retirement need to relax, its not as if this loss happened in the 1st round.