PDA

View Full Version : Is Mary Carillo's motormouthing a neurological disorder?

Keifers
04-04-2010, 11:44 AM
What's causing the incessant chattering (and lame attempts at humor) during points, sometimes for 2 or 3 or more points in a row??

We know she didn't do this during NBC's coverage of the Vancouver Olympics... can you imagine Bob Costas putting up with this kind of behavior?

JoelDali
04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
She was totally tarding out on BirdItch earlier.

OKUSA
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm glad she stopped saying Bearditch after the first set (or maybe I just subconsciously stopped hearing it), couldn't she figure it out after Macatee said it right about 50 times?

SuperDuy
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Oh man, I cant stand her I had a different station on.

OKUSA
04-04-2010, 12:18 PM
American tennis commentators are garbage, I don't know why they even try. The Mcenroe brothers are probably the best and even they aren't that good and BG is decent as well. Davenport is ok on the WTA side.

I've heard WTA announcing from eurosport the other day and it was amazing, they knew so much more about the players on court and off court instead of just saying what we are seeing.

samprasvsfederer123
04-04-2010, 12:20 PM
whats the name of those british guys who commentate, i call them the 3 muskateers of commentating no one can beat them dam i dont know their names i think i remember one being called doug adler no im not sure,

jim courior and the mcenroe brothers are good, i also like bill macahees voice other than that us coverage is sht.

OKUSA
04-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Robbie Koenig, Doug Adler, and Jason Goodall

I've heard Australian commentators too, they are quite good as well but I don't remember their names

samprasvsfederer123
04-04-2010, 12:28 PM

I've heard Australian commentators too, they are quite good as well but I don't remember their names

ahah so those are them, ya i believe one of them is the guy they put in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGRFvus8v5M

you know the english guy that acts as the ******* in the video?

samprasvsfederer123
04-04-2010, 12:30 PM
ya those are so them great job bud, those 3 are the greatest ever

robbie does come to me that he is like an *** or chauvinist arrogant though

still love their commentating

Mustard
04-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I miss John Barrett in the commentary box. He commentated on the BBC and the Tennis Channel.

samprasvsfederer123
04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
I miss John Barrett in the commentary box. He commentated on the BBC and the Tennis Channel.

oh isnt he the one that commentated the sampras vs federer match in wimby 2001 thats the one that comes to mind ya he was good.

british commentators rule all.

stoble
04-04-2010, 12:46 PM

Doug Adler is horrible IMO. I absolutely love the other 2 though.

Mustard
04-04-2010, 01:19 PM
oh isnt he the one that commentated the sampras vs federer match in wimby 2001 thats the one that comes to mind ya he was good.

british commentators rule all.

I can't remember who commentated on Federer-Sampras match for the BBC, and my DVD copy of that match is an American broadcast. John Barrett was the BBC commentator for the Borg-McEnroe 18-16 tiebreak in the 1980 Wimbledon final.

MotherMarjorie
04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Mother Marjorie has been watching Mary Carillo for a very long time (she began her ascent during the Graf Era). Its no surprise that Mary was largely mute during the Vancouver Olympics because her sports specialty is tennis.

Mary Carillo used to be spot-on during her earlier tennis commentating days. It was easy then, because Graf was generally an overwhelming favorite. However, as the WTA became more competitive within the top ten and not every match was predicatable, she's had to talk her way around some of her inaccurate predictions during matches.

MC is one of the few tennis commentators (not to mention women commentators) who has successfully transitioned into covering all of sports. For that, I award her the Mother Marjorie Women's Sufferage Award. go girl

CCNM
04-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm glad she stopped saying Bearditch after the first set (or maybe I just subconsciously stopped hearing it), couldn't she figure it out after Macatee said it right about 50 times?

Ha ha! I love how she botches names. There was a player years ago named "AINK-vist" (don't know the correct spelling) and she kept calling him "EYENK-vist" Drove me crazy!!!!!!

Fee
04-04-2010, 09:01 PM
whats the name of those british guys who commentate, i call them the 3 muskateers of commentating no one can beat them dam i dont know their names i think i remember one being called doug adler no im not sure,

Do you mean the one American, one South African, and one British guy?

Tennis_Monk
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Ha ha! I love how she botches names. There was a player years ago named "AINK-vist" (don't know the correct spelling) and she kept calling him "EYENK-vist" Drove me crazy!!!!!!

Is that Thomas Karl Johan Enqvist ?

pound cat
04-05-2010, 04:13 AM
I watched it on a Canadian French station, and it was great....could hear the balls, crowd, ump and score, and a pleasant language in the background.

cknobman
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Carillo is such a f'ing moron the only reason shes worth having around is to laugh at.

I had a great laugh Sunday during the final.

Mary was constantly running her nagging mouth as usual and this point was in the second set when Berdych hits a slice approach shot to Andy's backhand and Andy happens to hit a crosscourt winner with it. Before they start showing the replay Mary instantly starts talking about how much Larry has improved Andy's footwork and how much Andy's backhand has improved. Then the replay starts to show and Marry spouts off how Andy no longer takes a big step or lurches at his backhand shot all the while the replay is clear as day showing Andy taking one big step and lurching over to hit the backhand passing shot. Funny thing is even though the replay clearly contradicts what she is saying Marry just keeps rumbling on making herself sound like a moron.

CCNM
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Is that Thomas Karl Johan Enqvist ?

sounds right.

Shaolin
04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Carillo definitely has WillnevereverSTFU disorder.

surfvland
04-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Mary, is just a typical loud-mouthed LESBIAN!! Won't shut up, needs to be noticed and heard. (Not typical of all lesbians, just the loud mouth ones who insist on shoving what they have to say down everybody's throat.) If you think she sucks in the tennis booth, you should check her out, trying to do a serious piece on HBO's "Real Sports". She is a joke all the way around.

Funny..She is very annoying.

Chris Rizutto
04-05-2010, 12:13 PM
How many times did you find yourself rolling your eyes listening to her consistent inaccuracies?

Somebody mentioned Doug Adler earlier in the thread. He is also starting to grate my nerves like parmesan cheese.

Whats with his constant body language approval or reprimanding people for slumping their shoulders. Who cares stfu!

prattle128
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I love Darren Cahill and Brad Gilbert when they team up- they always are interesting to listen to, and have funny things to say. All the while not talking so much that I want to kill myself like when Mary Carillo is commentating.

edmondsm
04-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Mary Carillo is in the business because she grew up with John McEnroe, and for no other reason. Connections....they are the most important thing in the world.

volleynets
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't get it. You guys keep saying "she." Am I missing something?

Chris Rizutto
04-05-2010, 08:28 PM
She digs chicks only, you can count on that.

Keifers
04-05-2010, 11:20 PM
It's amazing to me that a major sport like tennis would allow broadcasts of important matches in important tournaments to be so thoroughly spoiled by the undisciplined, disrespectful, self-important, self-indulgent, inane prattling on that Mary Carillo subjects the audience to.

I can't think of another major sport -- indeed, any sport -- in which this is or would be permitted to go on and on and on... :confused::evil:

Dilettante
04-05-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't usually watch US commentators so I was curious about what you guys were saying, I searched for Mary Carillo in Youtube and I found this subrealistic gem:

Mary Carillo on Badminton Trip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDn0U0w78k)

Leelord337
04-05-2010, 11:47 PM
What's causing the incessant chattering (and lame attempts at humor) during points, sometimes for 2 or 3 or more points in a row??

We know she didn't do this during NBC's coverage of the Vancouver Olympics... can you imagine Bob Costas putting up with this kind of behavior?

i have no idea why tennis magazine rated her the best tennis commentator.

jason goodall and robbie koenig are the BEST hands down

Anaconda
04-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig are really lamentable when it comes to commentating. I stopped listening to them when they said Ferrero is playing better than his 2002-2003 years. They also keep comming out with the same sentences every game. I also don't like it when they trash my favourite players and say they aren't good enough to win on the big stages. They keep going on about Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray still being head and shoulders over everyone.

I prefer to listen to coaches like Brad Gilbert and Darren Cahill. BG might talk a lot but he talks sense most of the time instead of the guys we get over in Britain. Chris Fowler i like too. He knows a lot about guys who we might not know much about and he doesn't try and act too clever.

When i don't get an ESPN stream, i just listen to music instead.

Mustard
04-06-2010, 06:26 AM
She digs chicks only, you can count on that.

Firstly, she doesn't, and secondly, who cares if she did?

mzzmuaa
04-06-2010, 06:56 AM
they probably rated her highly because she seems to have some sort of power over the others.
just blabbering can make people appear to have power, no matter how empty the speech is

Cindysphinx
04-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Doug Adler is horrible IMO. I absolutely love the other 2 though.

Doug Adler is just awful. The other two are a dynamic duo who should never be separated. I could listen to them all day. The best thing they do is sometimes they say nothing for several consecutive points. And then when they decide to speak, they actually make a good remark. Glorious!

The coverage of the Berdich/Roddick match was way past annoying. The commentators seemed to assume that every viewer was a Roddick fan and was looking for insights on how best Roddick might dispatch Berdich. So very biased!

Legend of Borg
04-06-2010, 07:09 AM
I really like the P Mac/Cliff Drysdale duo at the AO. They're quite interesting to listen to, especially Patrick with his random phrases such as "Look at that eyedroppa!" or describing a slice as the "ginsu".

Anaconda
04-06-2010, 07:14 AM
I read somewhere that John Mcenroe got fined for swearing whilst commentating a match; a line call was so bad he landed the f-bomb whilst ranting and cursing about that umpire. Sounds like a J-man thing to do.

Annika
04-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Mary Carillo (born March 15, 1957, in Queens, New York) is an American writer, sportscaster, and former women`s tennis player. Carillo played on the women`s professional tennis circuit from 1977 to 1980. She was ranked as high as number 33,WTA Rankings, from January through March 1980, when she retired due to knee injuries. She won the French Open mixed doubles title with partner and childhood friend John McEnroe in 1977. Carillo and McEnroe then made it to the quarterfinals of Wimbledon, and later that year Carillo was a doubles quarterfinalist at the U.S. Open. In 2009, Mary competed in the 133rd Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show broadcast on USA Networks.

Carillo splits her time between Naples, Florida, and New York`s Greenwich Village. She was married for 15 years to tennis instructor Bill Bowden. They divorced in 1998 and have two children, Anthony and Rachel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Carillo

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
My 12y.o. child and I was watching the Roddick/Berdych match, and never looking up from the Nintendo DS and the new Pokemon game, she suddenly exclaims: "God, does she EVER shut up?!" That from a motor-mouth pre-teen.

I was thinking the exact same thing just as she said it.

I'll 2nd the motion about Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig. Absolutely hate listening to them saying, "That was a really awful shot. He's just playing terribly bad." If it's not "brilliant", it's "abysmal".

My favourite duo overall, though I know some people really get on them, and they don't duo anymore I've noticed... was Cliff Drysdale and Fred Stolle. When Carillo came into the mix she seemed to influence "Cliffie" to talk too many much and concentrate on trivia. Fred said to hell with it and left or something.

Individual favourite for English speaking commentators is Darren Cahill. Love it when he pauses after being asked a subjective or biased question by some yahoo, and says he can't answer that, then give an objective and educated comment instead.

Mortifier
04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig are really lamentable when it comes to commentating. I stopped listening to them when they said Ferrero is playing better than his 2002-2003 years. They also keep comming out with the same sentences every game. I also don't like it when they trash my favourite players and say they aren't good enough to win on the big stages. They keep going on about Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray still being head and shoulders over everyone.

I prefer to listen to coaches like Brad Gilbert and Darren Cahill. BG might talk a lot but he talks sense most of the time instead of the guys we get over in Britain. Chris Fowler i like too. He knows a lot about guys who we might not know much about and he doesn't try and act too clever.

When i don't get an ESPN stream, i just listen to music instead.
Goodall and Koenig are wearing out. They were my favorites before, but now I dont have any. They're still good, but they are always praising the better player and rarely give the the top 20-100 the credit they deserve.

Furthermore, as you said, they also turn to their special lines in matches such as "Big boys", "Perform on the big stage", "NADAL-LIKE in its execution" and so on. Nadal almost always seems to get the most credit, even more than Federer, and his opponent will under some point in the match get critized for lacking something that Nadal posseses, or does better.

All and all, they're good commentators, and they have the ability to shut up and does so from occasion to occasion, which is a good sign from a commentator. From time to time they bust eachothers chops, in a fashionable way, which is always funny.

CCNM
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Are you @#$%ing kidding????? :shock::shock::shock:

Chris Rizutto
04-06-2010, 01:26 PM

Yes I agree totally dude.

OKUSA
04-06-2010, 02:00 PM
they praise nadal and federer because they have won the last like 16/18 slams

WORLDWITHINAWORLD
05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't usually watch US commentators so I was curious about what you guys were saying, I searched for Mary Carillo in Youtube and I found this subrealistic gem:

Mary Carillo on Badminton Trip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDn0U0w78k)

PERSONALLY, I THOUGHT THAT WAS QUITE CUTE, WELL WRITTEN , AND WELL DELIVERED BY MARY.

pmerk34
05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
American tennis commentators are garbage, I don't know why they even try. The Mcenroe brothers are probably the best and even they aren't that good and BG is decent as well. Davenport is ok on the WTA side.

I've heard WTA announcing from eurosport the other day and it was amazing, they knew so much more about the players on court and off court instead of just saying what we are seeing.

Oh please go listen to the tennis channel and the their non american commentators repeat the same stupid things over and over:

"Oh, HE'S MADE IT!!"

"RIDICULOUS!!"

"RIDICULOUS TENNIS!!"

"NO WAY,COME ON!!"

It gets old fast too.

WORLDWITHINAWORLD
05-04-2010, 08:12 PM
OVERALL, IT SEEMS LIKE THE MIS0-GYNISTS HAVE TURNED INTO MARY-GYNISTS. I MET MARY CARILLO BRIEFLY AT A CLUB IN FLORIDA. SHE SEEMED DOWN TO EARTH, HUMBLE ,AND OUTGOING. ITS HARD TO FAULT HER ANNOUNCING, SHE RELATES THE PRO'S SKILLS TO SOMETHINGS THAT THE AVERAGE FAN CAN UNDERSTAND. NOT EASY. SHE HAS A PROS KNOWLEDGE BUT IS WELL GROUNDED TO THE AVERAGE PERSON.
MARY IS A GOOD ANNOUNCER,SO IS VIRGINIA WADE. ALSO THE McENROE BROS. ALSO LIEF ,WHATS HIS NAME. AND THE NEWLY RETIRED ,WHATS HIS NAME, HAS GOTTEN GOOD IN 2 YEARS. IF YOU WANT TO FIND FAULT LOOK TO TRACY, THAT ENDORSES THE ELBOW RUBBER BAND. I WONDER WHY NIKE HAS STAYED AWAY ? AND JIM CURR-I-ER , A LESS THAN PERFECT HUMAN BEING ; BUT A GOOD ANNOUNCER. SO , IN CONCLUSION, BLOW YOUR BARBS INTO THE WIND , THERE IS A REASON MARY CARILLO GOT PROMOTED TO THE OLYMPICS - SHE WORKED HARD AND HAS TALENT.
STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS

Toxicmilk
05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
my favorites are courier and arias. :]....that is all.

Tshooter
05-04-2010, 11:26 PM
"ITS HARD TO FAULT HER ANNOUNCING,"

Yes, until you pull the earplugs out of your ears. Carrillo is awful. You apparently are unable to divorce liking someone personally from evaluating their work. Which is a nice quality. But may lead to nutty statements like the one above.