PDA

View Full Version : Berdych playing better with Head?

Hidious
04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
I have not seen him play since the switch but he seemed to win big matches lately.

I know it is most likely his strokes and concentration that have improved but what do you think about the racquet change? I remember some people saying that he needed more spin to keep the ball in play when he was with his 18x20 Dunlop, maybe his new 16x19 Radical helped with this...

What do you guys think?

ollinger
04-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Too soon to say. His 12-6 record this year is more or less commensurate with what he's done the last 4 or 5 years.

West Coast Ace
04-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Wait. A guy switches rackets and his game isn't ruined? Impossible! (sarcasm based on all the threads saying players' careers have been ruined by racket changes...)

UD1
04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I was hitting earlier today with two racquets today, the PT57(18 x 20) and the TGK 260.2(Berdych's racquet). Both strung with full Lux BB alu at 50. The TGK provide much more power and spin. My hitting partner mentioned it as well.

I can't say whether or not that's the reason for Berdych's recent success at Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.

Cup8489
04-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Wait. A guy switches rackets and his game isn't ruined? Impossible! (sarcasm based on all the threads saying players' careers have been ruined by racket changes...)

some players have had ruined careers. berdych just chose a good frame.

OliverSimon
04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
It must be the racquet which is enabling Berdych to play better.

cesarmo03
04-04-2010, 11:37 PM
It must be the racquet which is enabling Berdych to play better.

yeah thats about it, hahaha.

why do we use the NTRP? now i rate people by the racquet they use.

THESEXPISTOL
04-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Hey guys, let's collect some money and offer Berdych one tour90, that way he can win a GS.

Gorecki
04-05-2010, 02:36 AM
yeah thats about it, hahaha.

why do we use the NTRP? now i rate people by the racquet they use.

that is why gasquet sucks.. he uses a instinct...! :)

vincent_tennis
04-05-2010, 03:27 AM
Zomg I Should Go Buy A Headd Tehn :d

ae1222
04-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I was hitting earlier today with two racquets today, the PT57(18 x 20) and the TGK 260.2(Berdych's racquet). Both strung with full Lux BB alu at 50. The TGK provide much more power and spin. My hitting partner mentioned it as well.

I can't say whether or not that's the reason for Berdych's recent success at Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.

So which of the frames do you prefer? Which one are you going to go with full time? Just curious as a PT57A user...

Baselineg
04-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Everyone plays better with a head racquet they are on a whole nother level.

OliverSimon
04-05-2010, 06:18 PM
The new 16x19 string pattern instilled into him a new found confidence.

OliverSimon
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Everyone plays better with a head racquet they are on a whole nother level.

Not Djokovic.

UD1
04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
So which of the frames do you prefer? Which one are you going to go with full time? Just curious as a PT57A user...
For Singles I prefer the 260.2, doubles the 262.1. The PT57 is definetely relegated to the bench.

Leelord337
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
that is why gasquet sucks.. he uses a instinct...! :)

kuznetsova and youzhny also use instincts

Baselineg
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Not Djokovic.

lol good point.

vsbabolat
04-06-2010, 04:31 AM
kuznetsova and youzhny also use instincts

No, they both use Extremes.

For Singles I prefer the 260.2, doubles the 262.1. The PT57 is definetely relegated to the bench.

I'll be more than happy to take that PT57 off the bench for you.:)

raging
04-06-2010, 05:32 AM

yep, me too! :)

fedifed
04-06-2010, 09:44 AM
The weird thing is that Berdych is using a Head racquet but during the Sony Ericsson Open Berdych had a Dunlop bag?

Leelord337
04-06-2010, 10:05 AM

i thought they were paintjobs of the liquidmetal instinct :confused:

ChevyTennis
04-06-2010, 11:18 AM
The weird thing is that Berdych is using a Head racquet but during the Sony Ericsson Open Berdych had a Dunlop bag?

a very old looking Dunlop bag at that!

yellowoctopus
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Berdych playing better with Head?

I think the topic of this thread really hits more than just the racquet choice for Berdych--he plays better with head [on].

The guy has the shots that do a lot of damage to all types of players. His shot selection needs work, especially during crucial moments. His motivation also fluctuates like desert temperature.

Slazenger07
04-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I think the topic of this thread really hits more than just the racquet choice for Berdych--he plays better with head [on].

The guy has the shots that do a lot of damage to all types of players. His shot selection needs work, especially during crucial moments. His motivation also fluctuates like desert temperature.

Lol, that's for sure. He was definitely playing with more confidence and composure than Ive seen from him in a long time.

Hidious
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM

Exactly. I knew the sarcasm would come and i did mention that i knew it was "most likely his strokes and concentration that have improved". But there are smart asses everywhere.

If Davydenko has won a tournament with one new "awesome" racquet only, if Safin can't play with anything else than a PC600 to the point that Dunlop pj it and got sued, if Blake has only 3 rackets left and has a hard time playing with modern sticks, i fail to see what is so silly about the hypothesis that maybe Berdych's racquet change was beneficial for him.

Have you guys never felt a confidence boost with a new racket? What some refer as the honeymoon period?

UD1
04-06-2010, 03:26 PM

I think you have more than your fair share already VS!:)

vsbabolat
04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
i thought they were paintjobs of the liquidmetal instinct :confused:

Kuznetszova and Youzhney both switched to the Extreme. Gasquet and Azarenka to name a few still use the LiquidMetal Instinct.

Welsh Wizard
04-07-2010, 03:10 AM
[QUOTE=Hidious;4542430]

If Davydenko has won a tournament with one new "awesome" racquet only, if Safin can't play with anything else than a PC600 to the point that Dunlop pj it and got sued, if Blake has only 3 rackets left and has a hard time playing with modern sticks, i fail to see what is so silly about the hypothesis that maybe Berdych's racquet change was beneficial for him.

Really don't mean to sound like a smart arse here, but Dunlop didn't PJ Safin's rackets, RPNY did. Dunlop were actually completely unaware of what Safin was doing as they had made him a Dunlop 200G in near as dammit exact same specs as the PC 600, but Safin just couldn't get passed the fact that that weren't his PC's. I have a PC and one of the actual Dunlop frames made for Safin (from someone I know who used to be a racket Technician for Dunlop) and I really can't tell the difference - but hey I'm not Safin! ;)

Apparently, the first time Dunlop were aware that Safin was using his old rackets painted and not theirs, was when Head sent them a legal letter around the US Open. He was a very fussy customer by all accounts.

Seriously though, the Dunlop 200G Safin I have is so close to my prestige's in spec and grommet placement etc, I would not be at all surprised if CAP grommets fitted it. Not going to try though as want to keep the racket in pristine order and doubt I will be able to replace the original grommets as it's not a stock shape 200g.

Gorecki
04-07-2010, 03:42 AM
i was obviously joking about the Instinct, as i believe it's quite a good frame! just a disclaimer...

NLBwell
04-11-2010, 07:40 PM
If he did change string patterns (as someone said above), then it is likely that he plays better with the new racket. Different manufacturer and different paint may not make a lot of difference, but the string pattern is obviously something he chose to change for non-monetary reasons

AlpineCadet
07-03-2010, 10:08 PM
His older Dunlop racket was holding him back. Welcome to Head!

adlis
07-04-2010, 05:00 AM

wake up call for you home boy.

Mark philippoussis and Marat safin almost destroyed their careers when they switched to the Dunlop sticks luckily Head allowed dunlop to pj their previous rackes. Nole isn't the player he was when he swithed to the Head youtube trash.

Dunlop with CAP
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/1077491.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/1081633.jpg

roundiesee
07-04-2010, 05:21 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures; actually those 200Gs look really cool; I'd kill to have one :) Do they play as well as the PC600?

vsbabolat
07-04-2010, 06:50 AM
wake up call for you home boy.

Mark philippoussis and Marat safin almost destroyed their careers when they switched to the Dunlop sticks luckily Head allowed dunlop to pj their previous rackes. Nole isn't the player he was when he swithed to the Head youtube trash.

Dunlop with CAP
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/1077491.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/1081633.jpg

No, HEAD did not allow Dunlop to paint over the HEAD Racquets! HEAD in fact Sued Dunlop to stop.
After ATP Tour player Marat Safin's sponsorship switched from Head to Dunlop in early '01, Head execs noticed Safin using "what it believed to be" its i.Prestige racquet with a Dunlop stencil on the strings last fall, according to TENNIS. Head filed a complaint with the district court in Munich, claiming the Dunlop logo "misled consumers into thinking Safin's racquet was a Dunlop." While an injunction was granted before the ATP's Masters Series in Stuttgart last October prohibiting the use of the logo in Germany, Head "hasn't taken any legal action in other countries." But Head "may do so if Dunlop and Safin continue to use the logo." Head VP/Marketing Kevin Kempin said that Dunlop "doesn't confirm or deny the racquet's make but contends that the logo is legal because Safin uses Dunlop strings"
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/62508

Oh and By the way Philippoussis racquet was a Dunlop and he did get the Finals of the U.S. Open with it!
90 Sq. in Dunlop
4 3/8"
9/10

$75 shipped to the lower 48

Very "Prestigey"

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/gcmichals/DunMP90.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/gcmichals/Rev902.jpg

If you are going to use the same photos I used from my photobucket account the least you could do is also use the post that they came from and not make-up your own story.

Bhagi Katbamna
07-04-2010, 07:11 AM
It isn't the racket. The shots have always been there. Now his mind is on the same page as his strokes.

adlis
07-04-2010, 07:12 AM
No, HEAD did not allow Dunlop to paint over the HEAD Racquets! HEAD in fact Sued Dunlop to stop.
After ATP Tour player Marat Safin's sponsorship switched from Head to Dunlop in early '01, Head execs noticed Safin using "what it believed to be" its i.Prestige racquet with a Dunlop stencil on the strings last fall, according to TENNIS. Head filed a complaint with the district court in Munich, claiming the Dunlop logo "misled consumers into thinking Safin's racquet was a Dunlop." While an injunction was granted before the ATP's Masters Series in Stuttgart last October prohibiting the use of the logo in Germany, Head "hasn't taken any legal action in other countries." But Head "may do so if Dunlop and Safin continue to use the logo." Head VP/Marketing Kevin Kempin said that Dunlop "doesn't confirm or deny the racquet's make but contends that the logo is legal because Safin uses Dunlop strings"
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/62508

Oh and By the way Philippoussis racquet was a Dunlop and he did get the Finals of the U.S. Open with it!

If you are going to use the same photos I used from my photobucket account the least you could do is also use the post that they came from and not make-up your own story.

put the crackpipe down bud.

Dunlop gave HEAD a huge €3.2m Payoff to drop the case and use the PJ "cap" frames. (http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/65153)

Same photos you used??
No one cares about your pathetic photobucket account. Did you take the pictures yourself? NO YOU stole the images from getty, don't take the moral high ground vsbabolat.

vsbabolat
07-04-2010, 07:29 AM
put the crackpipe down bud.

Dunlop gave HEAD a huge €3.2m Payoff to drop the case and use the PJ "cap" frames. (http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/65153)

Same photos you used??
No one cares about your pathetic photobucket account. Did you take the pictures yourself? NO YOU stole the images from getty, don't take the moral high ground vsbabolat.

I think you are the one that needs to put the crackpipe down. Where in that article does it have your quote?
Here is the article from your link:

Racket brands duel over Davydenko
Print This Story By DANIEL KAPLAN
Staff writer

Published March 22, 2010 : Page 09
Nikolay Davydenko, a perennial top 10 tennis player from Russia, has never enjoyed many endorsements. Now, he apparently has one too many.

Prince and Dunlop rackets each contend that Davydenko, the world’s No. 6-ranked player, signed an endorsement to promote its lines of rackets, tennis bags and, in Dunlop’s case, apparel and sneakers. The companies even sent out press releases within two days of each other earlier this month touting their ties to the player. Dunlop plans to make Davydenko its face of tennis.

The development serves as just the latest twisted tale involving racket sponsorships in the sport. Spain’s Fernando Verdasco, the world’s No. 12-ranked player, recently was poised to switch to Yonex and played a tournament with a Yonex racket, but he now is back with a racket from Tecnifibre that he used previously. Prince and Dunlop themselves sparred over the rights to James Blake several years ago, and Head in 2002 sued Dunlop over rights to Marat Safin.

“Changing rackets, especially if the agenda is economics, is a slippery slope,” said Ken Meyerson, the agent for Andy Roddick, who has always played with Babolat.

Both Prince and Dunlop say Nikolay Davydenko
signed an endorsement deal with them.In Davydenko’s case, his agent, Ronnie Leitgeb, said the player’s deal is with Dunlop. Asked why Prince touted a partnership with Davydenko, Leitgeb responded, “No idea. This was not agreed with Nikolay or his management. He is in the process of testing and developing Dunlop rackets.”

Indeed, in a match earlier this month, Davydenko wore Dunlop apparel, carried a Dunlop racket bag and played with a Prince racket with its identification seemingly blackened out.

Dunlop expects Davydenko to begin using its rackets in the summer.

Prince, which in its release noted a Davydenko association dating to 2006, is not amused.

“We/Prince have a fully signed and executed contract with Nikolay through 2010, as an exclusive endorsee of Prince tennis racquets and Prince racquet bags,” wrote George Napier, Prince’s chairman and CEO, in an e-mail. “Anything Nikolay is doing to the contrary of the terms of this agreement is a breach of that contract … regardless of what he or his agent say … and we will deal with that accordingly.”

Dunlop is trying to take a neutral position on the matter, calling the dustup one between Davydenko and Prince.

“We were surprised as anyone by the Prince release and we can only go on what the Davydenko camp tells us,” said Steve Hall, Dunlop’s director of marketing. Dunlop, he said, has had no communications with Prince about the matter.

This is not the first racket imbroglio involving Prince and Dunlop. In late 2005, Prince signed a then-up-and-coming Blake to a high-profile endorsement deal, but Blake never switched rackets and played his old Dunlop with Prince logos, leading insiders to scornfully call his racket the Prinlop. Ultimately, Prince ended the relationship with Blake, who re-endorsed Dunlop.

Hall said he believed the current standoff between Prince and Dunlop is unrelated to the incident with Blake, whose contract Dunlop did not renew when it expired last year.

Meanwhile, tennis agents have also been buzzing about Verdasco. One agent said he went up to Yonex officials to congratulate them on signing Verdasco, only to find out the deal had never occurred. Verdasco’s agency, CAA Sports, declined to comment.

Prince’s Napier said he thought there might be two deals Davydenko signed.

“My ‘sense’ is that no one is lying and there are likely two contracts,” he wrote. “He signed ours and subsequently his manager signed one on his behalf with Dunlop. Who signed first is not known and who prevails legally is beyond my skill set.”

One thing is sure: Davydenko won’t be playing with either racket for a while. He pulled out of a tournament earlier this month with a broken wrist and is sidelined until at least the late spring.

Furthermore Shortly after the suit was filed by HEAD Safin was sporting the HEAD i.Prstige PJ on his Prestige Classic by the French Open in 2002. (Those photos of Safin where from the 2002 Australian Open) I did not steal those photos as they have the water mark from Getty advertising their website.

adlis
07-04-2010, 11:08 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

wow OCD much? To end the stalemate vsbabolat i will admit defeat. Congrats you PWN3D ME xbox dude. you gain 3449xp

max200G
07-04-2010, 12:17 PM
wow OCD much? To end the stalemate vsbabolat i will admit defeat. Congrats you PWN3D ME xbox dude. you gain 3449xp

adlis you are not only disrespectful but you add insult to injury. You are most disingenuous with your apology.

There is no stalemate to end ! You are just 100% WRONG from the start !

Vsbabolat is one of the most respected and knowledgeable people that post up here. It is because of people like you that many knowledge posters have discontinued to post here.

hoodjem
07-04-2010, 12:34 PM
It can't be that Berdych has worked hard and actually improved his game.

It must the switch of racquets for sure. Obviously Head racquets are miracle-workers, and Dunlop racquets are complete junk.

vsbabolat
07-04-2010, 01:21 PM

There is no stalemate. You are just a troll. The facts speak for themselves! Here is a article from May 27, 2002 when safin re-signed with HEAD because of the lawsuit filed by HEAD.
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/21830
SAFIN GETS HIS HEAD BACK: He loves me. He loves me not. He loves me. For Head, it's like falling in love all over again when it comes to No. 2 seed Marat Safin, who is expected to have the racket company's logo adorning his strings when play commences today at Roland Garros.

The colorful Safin had been a Head endorser between 1998 and March 2001, a period that saw him win the 2000 U.S. Open championship and become the No. 1 player in the world for a brief period after that victory. But 14 months ago, Dunlop agreed to pay him up to $1 million annually to defect, a huge sum for a racket deal.

One minor problem: Safin started losing when he switched rackets. He tried using his old Head racket with a Dunlop logo stenciled on, but Head took him to court in Germany. Finally, Dunlop, after months of testing new rackets with him, declared match over. As a result, the Russian gets back, well, his Head.

"Marat Safin has rejoined the Head team and has signed a multiyear agreement, and right now we are faxing and sending contracts," said Kevin Kempin, who manages tennis endorsements for the Austrian sporting goods firm.

Kempin would not say how much Head is paying Safin, but it is believed to be significantly less than what Dunlop forked over, in part because the mercurial Safin had almost no choice but to use the racket he is comfortable with. That's good news for Head, which lost $3.6 million in the first quarter (see story, page 16). Safin is represented by Ion Tiriac's Elite Management, based in Monte Carlo.

Here is another paragraph from another article Blake touts Prince, doesn’t play it by Dan kaplan: http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/50322
"Perhaps the most high-profile example is Marat Safin, who several months after winning the 2000 U.S. Open signed a blockbuster endorsement deal with Dunlop. The Russian immediately began losing and took to playing with his old Head racket with a Dunlop logo stenciled on the strings. That moved Head to file legal papers, leading Safin to return to his old racket company."

baseline_monster
07-04-2010, 01:47 PM
There is no stalemate. You are just a troll. The facts speak for themselves! Here is a article from May 27, 2002 when safin re-signed with HEAD because of the lawsuit filed by HEAD.
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/21830
SAFIN GETS HIS HEAD BACK: He loves me. He loves me not. He loves me. For Head, it's like falling in love all over again when it comes to No. 2 seed Marat Safin, who is expected to have the racket company's logo adorning his strings when play commences today at Roland Garros.

The colorful Safin had been a Head endorser between 1998 and March 2001, a period that saw him win the 2000 U.S. Open championship and become the No. 1 player in the world for a brief period after that victory. But 14 months ago, Dunlop agreed to pay him up to $1 million annually to defect, a huge sum for a racket deal.

One minor problem: Safin started losing when he switched rackets. He tried using his old Head racket with a Dunlop logo stenciled on, but Head took him to court in Germany. Finally, Dunlop, after months of testing new rackets with him, declared match over. As a result, the Russian gets back, well, his Head.

"Marat Safin has rejoined the Head team and has signed a multiyear agreement, and right now we are faxing and sending contracts," said Kevin Kempin, who manages tennis endorsements for the Austrian sporting goods firm.

Kempin would not say how much Head is paying Safin, but it is believed to be significantly less than what Dunlop forked over, in part because the mercurial Safin had almost no choice but to use the racket he is comfortable with. That's good news for Head, which lost $3.6 million in the first quarter (see story, page 16). Safin is represented by Ion Tiriac's Elite Management, based in Monte Carlo.

Here is another paragraph from another article Blake touts Prince, doesn’t play it by Dan kaplan: http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/50322
"Perhaps the most high-profile example is Marat Safin, who several months after winning the 2000 U.S. Open signed a blockbuster endorsement deal with Dunlop. The Russian immediately began losing and took to playing with his old Head racket with a Dunlop logo stenciled on the strings. That moved Head to file legal papers, leading Safin to return to his old racket company."

The term NUFF SAID comes to mind. VS is right, well known what happened with Dunlop

marosmith
07-04-2010, 10:27 PM
No, he has been using a new coach starting mid-way through last year I believe and has steadily improved since.