PDA

View Full Version : Roddick can emulate Agassi's late career peaking according to coach

davey25
04-04-2010, 04:06 PM
This is an interesting article:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04042010/58/roddick-emulate-agassi.html

Andy Roddick could emulate Andre Agassi and enjoy his greatest success in the latter years of his career, his coach Larry Stefanki said after watching the American win the Miami Masters.

Stefanki, who guided Chilean Marcelo Rios and Russian Yevgeny Kafelnikov to world number one ranking, has been working with Roddick over the past year and believes that the big server has his best years ahead of him.

"I think this is still the infancy, I really do, I think he could be similar to Agassi where his best years are from 27 onwards," he said.

"I have seen it done before. I think he was very raw and his game is starting to come to where it is not hit and miss."

Agassi won five of his eight grand slam titles after his 29th birthday.

So far this year Roddick has won the Brisbane Open and was the beaten finalist at Indian Wells as well as triumphing for the second time at Key Biscayne.

Despite possessing a tremendously powerful serve, Roddick has been something of an underachiever as he won his solitary grand slam at the 2003 US Open.

But Stefanki believes Roddick now has a more diverse set of skills at his disposal.

"He has a lot of things to fall back on to win when he is not playing great, he does have the best serve in the game at the moment, day in day out, but if you add all the other components, the slice and so on, it puts him in a different echelon," he said.

As well as the technical adjustments that needed to be made to Roddick's game, Stefanki said weight loss, a better tactical approach and reduced off-court stress have been key elements in the player's rise.

"When you see a guy with a weapon like Andy has and so raw in every other aspect except perhaps the forehand, but not really know what his game plan is going to be... I think there has been a maturing, his nervous system is calmer now and when you have control over your game and your body," said Stefanki.

The coach said Roddick has also changed his diet - ditching his junk food habits for more organic options, helped by his swimsuit model wife Brooklyn Decker.

"I told him 'If you want to get faster, you have to lose weight'," added Stefanki, who began his career working with John McEnroe.

"You are working five hours a day and re-polluting your body. Now he still eats a lot but he eats the right stuff."

Roddick said he was delighted with his relationship with his coach, who quickly laid down the ground rules.

"I think he wanted to run things and I was more than okay with that, that's what I wanted. I wanted the guidance.

"I'm not going to pay a guy to be my coach and then tell him what to do. You would be surprised how prevalent that is in tennis.

"It's a great mix. I love his tennis IQ. I like his energy.

I don't know if I've ever seen him stressed out unless we're late for a tee time.

"The tennis side of it works and the personality side of it works. So I think we're in a good spot," he said.

Barricade V
04-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I would absolutely love for roddick to have a late career resurgence. I think he certainly has the potential to.

davey25
04-04-2010, 04:10 PM
That would truly be amazing as Agassi had the longevity and amazing late career success he had with so many slumps and sabatical years. Roddick has basically had none of those and has been top 10 almost without exception (I think a blip in the middle of 2006) since late 2002 now.

samprasvsfederer123
04-04-2010, 04:11 PM
ya maybe, roddick still has lots in him

President
04-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I'd say Roddick is playing his best tennis right now since he was #1, and what we saw in Miami was very encouraging. He now knows when to mix in aggressive play and passive. This is an unprecenented style for him, as he was always playing one or the other; never in between. It's very possible that he can end the year in the top 5.

nn
04-04-2010, 04:19 PM
with that kind of serve he can prolong his playing days.

even today he won most of his service game without going to deuce (might be once) that is great on hard court.

scotus
04-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately, Federer still has a very long career ahead of him.

Fed does not put any unnecessary mileage on his body, and with his efficient footwork, there is not much wear and tear.

And that does not bode well with Roddick when it comes to winning Grand Slam titles.

Chadwixx
04-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Only if he starts taking vitamins like agassi did. Its nearly impossible to get better at such a late age in your career in a sport like tennis. Especially with a physcial game like they both play. If they played like paul annacone or a 2nd half pete it would be doable.

AM95
04-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I think Stefanki should just be quiet. Andy is playing some great tennis right now, and it seems that every time that Stefanki opens his mouth, Roddick gets screwed (i.e "The Roger show is over").

djokovicgonzalez2010
04-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Roddick is no agassi

samprasvsfederer123
04-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Roddick is no agassi

you are not understanding the main point

DRII
04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I agree and think it is possible.

Only problem is Roddicks ground game is no where near as efficient as Agassi's, but his serve game is far easier and more natural.

I think he can do it, wont be pretty doing it, but he can do it.

OddJack
04-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Stefanki is shooting from the hip again. I remember right before the AO this year he said "Roger show is over".
Roddick's best years are behind him.

NamRanger
04-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Ah, I can only imagine it now.

A resurgent Andy Roddick finally toppling an old and crippled Federer. One can dream can't they?

He has definitely found the right balance on what to do now. He adjusts according to his opponent, and plays aggressive when he needs to (though he still needs a little work on this IMO). I think Stefanki himself was surprised that Roddick was able to just clobber forehands out of nowhere against Nadal, and I think he feels that if Roddick can combine his serve, his big forehand, and his other improved skillsets, he can go a very long way.

Justdoit10
04-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Ah, I can only imagine it now.

A resurgent Andy Roddick finally toppling an old and crippled Federer. One can dream can't they?

He has definitely found the right balance on what to do now. He adjusts according to his opponent, and plays aggressive when he needs to (though he still needs a little work on this IMO). I think Stefanki himself was surprised that Roddick was able to just clobber forehands out of nowhere.
Absolutely man. I dream about Federer finally defeating Nadal in the final of RG. I think Roddick has a higher chance of beating Federer though.

Commando Tennis Shorts
04-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I think this argument definitely holds some water. I think, though, that as the next few years come, Roddick's serve will slowly get less effective (which is not saying much; it will still be very effective b/c his serve is phenomenal), but when his serve diminishes, he's going to need other skill sets to fall back on---meaning, he is going to have to really develop the other parts of his game.

That's the challenge. Now we'll see if Roddick and Stefanki can answer.

Halba
04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
roddick will never win a slam again. masters series yes

Halba
04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Absolutely man. I dream about Federer finally defeating Nadal in the final of RG. I think Roddick has a higher chance of beating Federer though.

in a slam fed owns roddick, no losses with a few blowouts but also good tight encounters

NamRanger
04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
I think this argument definitely holds some water. I think, though, that as the next few years come, Roddick serve will slowly get less effective (which is not saying much; it will still be very effective b/c his serve is phenomenal), but when his serve diminishes, he's going to need other skill sets to fall back on---meaning, he is going to have to really develop the other parts of his game.

That's the challenge. Now we'll see if Roddick and Stefanki can answer.

I don't think so; Roddick has actually pulled back on his serve, and that may actually prolong the life of his shoulder. His normal high range is now in the mid 130s; very rarely does he crank one up to 140 which was actually his normal speed before.

Commando Tennis Shorts
04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't think so; Roddick has actually pulled back on his serve, and that may actually prolong the life of his shoulder. His normal high range is now in the mid 130s; very rarely does he crank one up to 140 which was actually his normal speed before.

I definitely hope so. That would keep him very relevant for years to come

pmacino
04-04-2010, 08:46 PM
What the future holds, no one knows. Fact is thought that Roddick, is playing the best now in years and is leading the ATP points race. Good for him, he has had a great work ethic. How many people would have thrown in the towel by now?

World Beater
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
roddick will pretty much always have his serve. the serve is the last thing to go unless he has a physical injury.

and if roddick has the motivation to work hard, he will be in contention for a few more years to come.

roddick will just have to stay fit and play the right way.

Rhino
04-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Interesting, but what else is his coach going to say?

forzamilan90
04-05-2010, 09:30 AM
roddick is better now, in his latter years, but i don't see it happening, ultimately the younger guns will catch up, even fed is not guaranteed wearing down

HollerOne5
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Ya this maybe could happen, except for the fact that Agassi was better in almost every department of the game than Roddick besides the serve, and most importantly, the INTANGIBLES! Roddick doesn't have the same mentality, intensity or belief that a born, multiple-slam champion like Agassi had. Its just not in his cards. Sorry.

NamRanger
04-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Ya this maybe could happen, except for the fact that Agassi was better in almost every department of the game than Roddick besides the serve, and most importantly, the INTANGIBLES! Roddick doesn't have the same mentality, intensity or belief that a born, multiple-slam champion like Agassi had. Its just not in his cards. Sorry.

Agassi had a horse shoe stuck up his rear end throughout his entire career. If Roddick had that much luck, he could easily be a 6+ slam winner.

devila
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
LOL But he has his tongue stuck in Federer's rear. That's why he goes extreme from emotional joy to major depression. People tell him he's wrong for pretending he didn't lose because he paraded that Federer's superior & a great friend. Anyone could see, he needed a coach/father figure, mental help & weight loss.

Playing the victim's cute to his family, but when his family is ridiculed, what does Roddick think? He decided to give up for Federer's fun ride, & continue chasing stupid models and actresses to marry. Roddick still says Agassi's a pal, #1 superstar, so there's nothing wrong with taking drugs & breaking tennis rules & getting away with it. Agassi's no role model. He's a pitiful brat who needs no more publicity.

OrangeOne
04-06-2010, 12:04 AM
in a slam fed owns roddick, no losses with a few blowouts but also good tight encounters

Wimbledon last year there was less than 1% between them.

So much negativity... nothing at all to say Roddick's next few years couldn't be his best. I do agree with many though, that at slams (esp. other than W), Fed will still have the edge for at least a year or two.

MajinX
04-06-2010, 12:29 AM
roddick will never win a slam again. masters series yes

roddick is as good in best 3/5 as he has in 2/3s and a grandslam is one match more or two more (depending on which masters) with one extra top 100 player to play as your starting match. So its pretty rash to say he will never win a slam again after he has convincingly won a masters. He probably wont win one but to say he will NEVER is pretty bold.

davey25
04-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Agassi had a horse shoe stuck up his rear end throughout his entire career. If Roddick had that much luck, he could easily be a 6+ slam winner.

I agree with you about Agassi except for 1995. That is one year he had alot more bad luck then good, and was quite unlucky to not end that year as a 2 or even 3 slam winner. That is by far the best tennis he ever played, much better than 1999-early 2000 where he had his best results as far as slam results. On the whole of his career though I agree he had an incredible amount of good luck.

deltox
04-06-2010, 06:38 AM
i give it a 5% likelyhood.

NamRanger
04-06-2010, 08:17 AM
I agree with you about Agassi except for 1995. That is one year he had alot more bad luck then good, and was quite unlucky to not end that year as a 2 or even 3 slam winner. That is by far the best tennis he ever played, much better than 1999-early 2000 where he had his best results as far as slam results. On the whole of his career though I agree he had an incredible amount of good luck.

In 95 indeed he played very well; him losing to Chang I think at both the AO was a pretty big disappointment.

Edit : Oops, I think that was 96.

Matt H.
04-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Roddick's mental toughness is unmatched right now, except for Fed in a slam until we see otherwise.

His movement looks good, his variety and tactics look the best he's ever had. 2010/2011 could be very strong years for Roddick.

When you add the fact that the other top players are dealing with injuries, slumps, or whiney attitudes....the possibility of Roddick winning that 2nd slam is very real.

swordtennis
04-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Man rootin 4 the AMERICAN Andy Roddick to have a gr8t year and mayb just mayb pick up his second GS. He just keeps hanging around. I think he can have a second wind in his career. I think he is a better player than Agassi. And if they played ten times I pick Andy to win 6 of those ten matches. I dont see any reason why with Stefanki guiding him he wont do well.

SuperDuy
04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
lets hope so!!

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Maybe I've gone more sentimental. I didn't particularly care for Roddick in his younger years, but when he really dug his heels in, stepped up his training work ethic, I find myself cheering for him everytime he steps on the court. He says he loves the sport and it really shows, that's critically important for me as a viewer.

I don't know that he'll even win another Grand Slam, but he gets out there are plays his heart out week after week. You can't accuse him of not giving 100%. I have no idea how anyone can say he lacks intensity. You can see it in his gaze and his moves: Roddick IS intensity. I think he'll remain around and relevant at least a couple of more years, and why not?

West Coast Ace
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I can't see Roddick keeping it up. He'll gain the weight back. And as others mentioned, the young guys are getting better all the time. I think this is his '2 year plan' - taking a few more shots at winning another major. Once he either wins one (I severely doubt it) or realizes he can't, he's retiring to start a family with the wife.