PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's Evolution as a Player

NamRanger
04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I wonder, has there been any other player that has evolved in so many different ways like Roddick has? Like, a person who totally just changed the way they played their game. He's gone from :

1. Surf and Turf
2. Attempted to S&V constantly
3. Pure Defensive Baseliner / Counter Puncher
4. Uh, all court player now? Kind of hard to classify him now.

It's like the guy developed 4 games in a short span of 10 years or so. I wonder if anyone else has evolved as much as Roddick; the closest I can think of is Agassi who went from a power baseline crusher to a more consistent strategic baseline controller.

Justdoit10
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
How about Nadal? He used to crush the ball with his forehand was extremely agressive when he was younger. He started becoming more and more of grinder as he got older. It worked out for him because his defensive skills were always godlike.

Federer kind of also evolved. He used to employ an all court game in his earlier days and is now just a total baseliner. I mean seriously, his volleying skills are overrated. I think Roddick volleys much better than him right now.

World Beater
04-04-2010, 09:05 PM
they have all evolved but in different ways.

roddick has become more complete and has more options in his game when he isnt playing 'A' tennis.

nadal has developed new weapons.

Federer polished off his game and just took it to a new level.

forzamilan90
04-05-2010, 09:29 AM
i will say he's more multi dimensional now, the elevation in competition can really be felt across all the men's players, felt bad for him at wimbledon last year, although i was ecstatic that federer won it

Anaconda
04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
To answer your question. No.

I think Roddick changed his game because he took a look at the only guy who was able to beat Federer in the slams 05-07, which was Nadal. Roddick ditched his flat forehand and started putting more spin on the ball; changing rackets for more control too. Obviously Roddick doesn't defend or move as well as Nadal which was a pretty dumb thing to do.

I would class Roddick as an all rounded player. However these multi-dimensions certainly cloud hit two main strengths -135mph serve + 110 mph forehand.

dennis1188
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
He should play more doubles to feel more confident at the net.
However, looks much better lately.

MethodTennis
04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
To answer your question. No.

I think Roddick changed his game because he took a look at the only guy who was able to beat Federer in the slams 05-07, which was Nadal. Roddick ditched his flat forehand and started putting more spin on the ball; changing rackets for more control too. Obviously Roddick doesn't defend or move as well as Nadal which was a pretty dumb thing to do.

I would class Roddick as an all rounded player. However these multi-dimensions certainly cloud hit two main strengths -135mph serve + 110 mph forehand.

are you sure about that i dont even think gonzos is that fast, erm and he's used the same rackets his whole pro carear

Wilander Fan
04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
I remember Roddick being one of the faster more athletic players earlier in his career but he is really just mediocre now in terms of court coverage. I think its more difficult for him to get into position to really crush forehands now so we see him kind of pushing until he gets an opening.

He was getting blown off the court against Nadal when trying to slug it out from the baseline and was able to win tht match, IMO, because he was able to attack Nadal's second serve and break down his service game.

Frankly, Roddick has had very easy draws in the last two tournaments and some good breaks. It was a good win over Nadal though.