PDA

View Full Version : Roddick on clay?

Wolland
04-05-2010, 01:29 AM
The clay court season is about to start. Andy has been playing magnificently on hard courts in the USA, but will he be able to do the same on the red dirt? What do you think?

davey25
04-05-2010, 01:32 AM
If he matches last years clay court seasons results he will have done very well for himself.

P_Agony
04-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Yep, last year he was doing quite well on the clay.

gunnd5000
04-05-2010, 01:36 AM
I imagin that him and larry will have worked very hard on improving his clay game and i imagin that over all his clay results will improve however i dont think he will match his frenc open result as that was pure luck

Jchurch
04-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Well I think he will,

Improve on Monte Carlo and Madrid :wink:
Madrid, I doubt he will make it that far again.
French open who knows.

Augustus
04-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Will he play Monte Carlo? I highly doubt it. He could get some decent results in Rome and Madrid, since both seem to have quite fast courts. At the French, a lot will depend on his draw, if it's favourable like last year he might make 4th round again, but if he faces a decent clay-courter in the first round I wouldn't be surprised to see him losing.

I don't think Roddick cares a lot about the clay season actually, if he does well it's nice, if not... well, he won't lose any sleep over it.

AM95
04-05-2010, 02:41 AM
i think what stefanki is doing is really nice, because i gusse in some terms he's trying to turn roddick into a grinder (using the slice backhand alot, playing neutral). so i think roddick will transition more or less nicely onto clay.

tvp900
04-05-2010, 07:33 AM
I think he can beat almost all the clay courters in the 30's to 90's in the world, which will be who he faces in the first 3 rounds or so, it really depends on who he meets in the round of 16. If he meets a Monfils-like player like last year, he's not gonna do much better than last year, but if he meets a Karlovic, or a Hewitt, not the best of clay courters, we could be looking at a surprise quarterfinalist.

AndyArodRoddick
04-05-2010, 07:41 AM
I think he can beat almost all the clay courters in the 30's to 90's in the world, which will be who he faces in the first 3 rounds or so, it really depends on who he meets in the round of 16. If he meets a Monfils-like player like last year, he's not gonna do much better than last year, but if he meets a Karlovic, or a Hewitt, not the best of clay courters, we could be looking at a surprise quarterfinalist.

Yeah, Monfils is kind a top 10 on clay and can run forever so yeah..
I think Andy will be better on clay than last year..maybe getting some 600 points on clay..(Madrid, Rome, RG = QF from all of them)...that would be nice. :)

Fee
04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Andy's not playing in Monte Carlo or anywhere for the month of April, except for that exo he's doing in Atlantic City with Safin and others.

AndyArodRoddick
04-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Andy's not playing in Monte Carlo or anywhere for the month of April, except for that exo he's doing in Atlantic City with Safin and others.

He is playing Rome, wich starts in April.

Augustus
04-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah, Monfils is kind a top 10 on clay and can run forever so yeah..
I think Andy will be better on clay than last year..maybe getting some 600 points on clay..(Madrid, Rome, RG = QF from all of them)...that would be nice. :)

I don't see Roddick making QF at the French, he needed the best draw ever last year to reach the fourth round and was destroyed in three sets by an injured Monfils. I like Roddick and he's playing great at the moment, but he isn't top 30 on clay.

alienhamster
04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
It's odd, though. Roddick has the kind of game that should be able to adapt well to clay. He's been counterpuncher-y to a fault on hardcourts. I suppose if his stamina and strategy were better, he'd be a bigger force on clay. That serve works well on any surface. His kickserve on clay is really hard to deal with.

And if Tim Henman can make the semis at Roland Garros, certainly Andy Roddick seems capable of making a quarters at some point.

ChevyTennis
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
It's odd, though. Roddick has the kind of game that should be able to adapt well to clay. He's been counterpuncher-y to a fault on hardcourts. I suppose if his stamina and strategy were better, he'd be a bigger force on clay. That serve works well on any surface. His kickserve on clay is really hard to deal with.

And if Tim Henman can make the semis at Roland Garros, certainly Andy Roddick seems capable of making a quarters at some point.

I'd say 4th round would be considered a good run at Roland Garros for him.

kishnabe
04-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I'd laugh if he bagged his second GS at the French Open!

swordtennis
04-06-2010, 08:01 AM
He just might do the best he has ever done. Wonder how he will do with Stefanki this year? I bet he gets a QF showing at the French this year. LOL That would be mind blowing if he won the French!

aldeayeah
04-06-2010, 08:08 AM
This.

More realistically, he will do decently in Rome and Madrid (maybe a SF) and will swiftly crash out of FO.

NamRanger
04-06-2010, 08:09 AM

I would simply throw my keyboard out the window if that happened.

deltox
04-06-2010, 08:12 AM

could you record it for me if you do so?

KAndersonFan
04-06-2010, 08:13 AM

Far from impossible.. Verkerk (who is basically the Roddick serve without the Roddick game) made the finals in 2003. He'd need incredible things to happen in an era of great clay courters like Nadal and Federer and guys like Davydenko and Djokovic, but anything is possible.

Augustus
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM

I would write a thousand-line epic poem in honour of the great Andus Rodix in Latin.

davey25
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Far from impossible.. Verkerk (who is basically the Roddick serve without the Roddick game) made the finals in 2003. He'd need incredible things to happen in an era of great clay courters like Nadal and Federer and guys like Davydenko and Djokovic, but anything is possible.

No that would be impossible. He was badly outclassed by Monfils last year, to the point it is evident he has no hope vs even someone like that. There are atleast 15 guys he would need to avoid to have any hope, and there is no chance of avoiding that many.

Anaconda
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM

Well your thread over on the Pro Match Results would have been solved. No need to call the guys down at Mythbusters.

I had thoughts today of Roddick winning the FO title. I don't know how i would feel; I haven't the money to damage my own property but you can be my guest. I would probably just laugh at all of the Spannish guys without a FO title but it's not going to happen.

Unless Roddick dopes then it's possible.

coloskier
04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
No that would be impossible. He was badly outclassed by Monfils last year, to the point it is evident he has no hope vs even someone like that. There are atleast 15 guys he would need to avoid to have any hope, and there is no chance of avoiding that many.

Well, if anything happens like what happened in Miami (Fed, Djoker, Murray out early), anything is possible. And with Davy and DelPotro still injured, who knows? He still has his serve, and the serve isn't slowed down as much by clay as groundies are.

davey25
04-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Well, if anything happens like what happened in Miami (Fed, Djoker, Murray out early), anything is possible. And with Davy and DelPotro still injured, who knows? He still has his serve, and the serve isn't slowed down as much by clay as groundies are.

Why on earth would Federer and Djokovic be out early at the French while Roddick wouldnt be? First of all Federer playing crappy in Masters events means nothing, he doesnt give a squat about those events anymore other than when he decides he really needs the points or something, he is only playing for the slams now. As I already said even a guy like Monfils is way too good for Roddick on clay, he has killed Roddick everytime they played on the surface. So he would need anyone even close to Monfils's level on clay to be out of the way in addition to all those better than someone like Monfils on clay.

It is insane anyone is even considering something so stupid. Lets talk about Camille Pin winning the womens title at Wimbledon. They have about the same chance of happening.