PDA

View Full Version : Should A-Rod skip the clay court season?

gopokes
04-05-2010, 07:21 AM
At this stage in his career, if he really wants to make a push for Wimbledon, should he pull a Lendl and spend more time on the grass? I think part of making a late-career surge happen is being wise with one's schedule. Even with his new level of fitness, maybe he should consider working towards the Wimbly and the US Open. He'd be more fresh physically and I think he'd also preserve his current level of confidence by doing so, rather than getting derailed in the early rounds by Juan Monaco or somebody like that on clay. Keep the swagger - skip the dirt Andy!

Ledigs
04-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I think he has a chance to be highly ranked for Wimbledon and should definitely play clay court season to have a good draw

Augustus
04-05-2010, 07:49 AM
He's already playing a very limited schedule on clay, and I don't think the ATP will be happy when he skips three MS. The few matches he'll play on clay will not lead to exhaustion or anything like that.

PSNELKE
04-05-2010, 07:54 AM
He's already playing a very limited schedule on clay, and I don't think the ATP will be happy when he skips three MS. The few matches he'll play on clay will not lead to exhaustion or anything like that.

welcome back augustus :D

is there going to be another augustus game..
like ATP Sudden Death League?
would be great for Monte carlo Rome and madrid

dcdoorknob
04-05-2010, 07:57 AM
I think it's prudent for him to play a limited schedule on clay, but he already does that.

He's healthy and playing well at the moment, there's no need to just take off the next 3 months straight.

Augustus
04-05-2010, 08:00 AM
welcome back augustus :D

is there going to be another augustus game..
like ATP Sudden Death League?
would be great for Monte carlo Rome and madrid

Yeah, I'll bring it back for Monte Carlo, so don't forget to sign up when the thread appears (probably Wednesday)!

PSNELKE
04-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I'll bring it back for Monte Carlo, so don't forget to sign up when the thread appears (probably Wednesday)!

great iŽll check it out again

jpasquito
04-05-2010, 08:09 AM
He'll play more than he's currently scheduled. If he adds a little more topspin to his backhand, I see him doing more damage than he or others expect. As long as his body is feeling fresh (which it probably isn't after two HC finals) he'll been a contender at any tournament for the rest of the year. His game is pretty clean and his tactics are sound at the moment. Say what you want but, Andy 2.0 is set up for a spectacular year.

swordtennis
04-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Interesting question.
I think he should play Rome or Madrid and the French. See how he does and go right to Grass.
He might reach a QF or SF at the French with his current game. He made the 4th round last year. The best he has ever done.

sureshs
04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
I think Andy has a real chance of winning the French Open this year. Nadal will be demoralized after his loss to Andy last week, and Fed will tank early in order to avoid facing Nadal. I would say Andy has a very good chance.

swordtennis
04-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I think Andy has a real chance of winning the French Open this year. Nadal will be demoralized after his loss to Andy last week, and Fed will tank early in order to avoid facing Nadal. I would say Andy has a very good chance.
Is this the same Fed that won Cincy while Nadal was still in the draw?

AndyArodRoddick
04-05-2010, 08:42 AM

LOL.

Yeah i mean, QF would be really nice, but theres NO CHANCHE for SF or even better. :d

Matt H.
04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
LOL.

Yeah i mean, QF would be really nice, but theres NO CHANCHE for SF or even better. :d

I actually kinda agree.

This year's French Open is by far Andy's best chance to go far. Last year he was playing well, and made it to the 2nd week for the first time in his career.

This year, he's playing even better. Serve is the same ol weapon, fitness is great, backhand and even his bh slice are looking really good, and perhaps he's opened his eyes and realized his forehand is still a weapon.

Combine that with the field being EXTREMELY vulnerable right now with a ton of top players in slumps or injured....why the hell not? Even Tim Henman made the semi's.

decades
04-05-2010, 09:04 AM
he has a chance to win every clay court event he enters. he out rallied nadal on a slow surface. a true clay goat candidate this Roddick.

sureshs
04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Considering how slow Miami was playing and how Andy still managed to defeat Nadal, I would say he is the favorite for the French title.

skiracer55
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
...one of which is, does he have a chance to win Paris or Rome? I'd say the way he's playing he definitely has a chance, but I wouldn't say he's the favorite. He's definitely better on grass and hardcourts, but a major is a major is a major, and so I'd say he should play enough clay tournaments to be a factor at Rome and/or Paris.

The other issue is the one that other posters have mentioned, which is cutting down on his clay court play to save himself for Wimbledon and get more practice time on grass. My guess is that Larry Stefanki, who, IMHO, is the best coach Roddick ever had and is demonstrably one of the best high-level coaches today, already has all that figured out...

kslick
04-05-2010, 09:39 AM
No he shouldn't skip clay court season and the French. Plus you need competitive matches under your belt (against top rated players) Why put all that pressure to win one GS (Wimbledon). You never know what can happen. If you don't play you can't win.

cknobman
04-05-2010, 10:15 AM
No!!!!!! Nothing is more annoying than seeing Andy sit out 95% of the clay court season.

bluetrain4
04-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't think so. If nothing, clay court season will help his fitness. Plus, he's playing really well. Not saying he's suddently going to win the French, but he could maybe have his best ever result.

And, it's not like if he sits out the clay season, he can be playing in all sorts of grass tournaments to get match play (as where if you were to sit out the 2-week grass warmup "season" you could play tournaments on clay). His competetive grass season will start at the same time no matter if he plays during the clay season. True, he could at least be practicing on grass during that time, but he knows how to play on grass. Without match play, weeks and weeks of grass practice won't do him a ton of good in my opinion.

Plus, as others have stated, he usually doesn't overload on the clay. One U.S. clay court tournament, then one Masters series, right?

alienhamster
04-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I think he has a chance to be highly ranked for Wimbledon and should definitely play clay court season to have a good draw

Regardless of his clay performance, Wimbledon should seed him top 4. It's better for all concerned if he's seeded that high. He's certainly proved himself on this surface for the last 7 years.

tvp900
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
The thing is, Andy doesn't really care about the clay court season. He has no expectations going in, which is why he did so well at RG and why he took a set off Fed in Rome, I think it was. He can go into the events he's entered thinking, 'let's not get injured and see what happens'

JayChu
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
The thing is, Andy doesn't really care about the clay court season. He has no expectations going in, which is why he did so well at RG and why he took a set off Fed in Rome, I think it was. He can go into the events he's entered thinking, 'let's not get injured and see what happens'

You're thinking of Madrid. Roddick didn't play in Rome last year since he was on his Honeymoon with his wife.

Also, I do agree with you. Clay is not his best surface (which is really obvious), which does give him the "I can do whatever since I don't have any high expectations on this surface". However, even though he hasn't done too well on clay, he was won 5 clay court titles in his career (granted that 4 of them were on American claycourts and had really weak fields) and did reach the Rome Masters SFs in 2008.

However, I do believe that he is capable of making the QFs of RG this year since he is moving a lot better, and he has become more patient in rallies,which will allow him to stay in the point much more longer to better construct the point better. He could have made it to the QFs last year if he didn't face Monfils there.

AndyArodRoddick
04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
You're thinking of Madrid. Roddick didn't play in Rome last year since he was on his Honeymoon with his wife.

Also, I do agree with you. Clay is not his best surface (which is really obvious), which does give him the "I can do whatever since I don't have any high expectations on this surface". However, even though he hasn't done too well on clay, he was won 5 clay court titles in his career (granted that 4 of them were on American claycourts and had really weak fields) and did reach the Rome Masters SFs in 2008.

However, I do believe that he is capable of making the QFs of RG this year since he is moving a lot better, and he has become more patient in rallies,which will allow him to stay in the point much more longer to better construct the point better. He could have made it to the QFs last year if he didn't face Monfils there.

Andy was pretty good claycourter in 2000-2002. I think in Houston tourney 2002 wich he won, he beat Sampras in the final and in the SF i think it was Coria(superb claycourter).

onyxrose81
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Even though clay will never be Andy's true love, he could have been competent on it. I just think that he quit and gave up on it. Clay was too hard for him to figure out how to properly move and construct points on it. I think it's only been the last few years that he's started to try again on thr surface.

West Coast Ace
04-06-2010, 11:52 AM
And what would he do for all this time? Eat?

He (and everyone who's eligible) should play Monte Carlo, Rome, and Madrid - then go to RG and see what happens - no pressure - no one expects anything.

vive le beau jeu !
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM

after his 4th round last year, he can definitely target a QF at RG... that's reasonnable, and reaching the QF at all the slams would be a great achievement.
i think he's a bit underestimated on clay...