PDA

View Full Version : Is fed playing Monte Carlo to put pressure on Nadal?

Ledigs
04-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Why does he suddenly decide to enter the draw?

Kunohara
04-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Because he lost early at both IW & Miami.

Those tournamenets were not grueling at all, he had plenty time to rest.

Right now, he needs to play more than he needs rest.

Augustus
04-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Is he even really playing Monte Carlo? I can't find news about it anywhere other than that Italian article someone posted.

If he indeed does play it, it's probably because he lost early in Miami and he wants to see what he still has to work on.

veroniquem
04-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Ha ha sure, the guy who just lost to Baghs and Berdych on hard is gonna put pressure on Nadal on clay. Only if he doesn't play Wawrinka first, right?
Fed's tennis atm is in no state of putting pressure on anyone.

dmt
04-05-2010, 06:51 AM
I am sure rafa is really scared of federer on a surface where he has owned him a dozen times.

dcdoorknob
04-05-2010, 06:54 AM
This thread title is pretty lol. Not all of Federer's decisions are based purely on Rafa.

himynameisNIKE
04-05-2010, 07:08 AM
This thread title is pretty lol. Not all of Federer's decisions are based purely on Rafa.

YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT!

forzamilan90
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
he needs practice so that's the biggest reason, i mean french open is not that far away anymore

Sentinel
04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Oh, i thought this was another thread by HALBA !!! Sorry.

Matt H.
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Fed is requesting a wild card into MC because:

1. He lost early and needs matches to tune up for the French

2. He’s trying to make sure he breaks the weeks at #1 record

forzamilan90
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Fed is requesting a wild card into MC because:

1. He lost early and needs matches to tune up for the French

2. Hes trying to make sure he breaks the weeks at #1 record

isn't that inevitable at this point?

Chris Rizutto
04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Hes playing because he has lost to a coupla chumponias recently.

cknobman
04-05-2010, 09:17 AM

Sad to say but the same goes for Rafa, because frankly hes sucked so far this year.

Lets hope clay season brings back the Rafa we are used to seeing.

Augustus
04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Sad to say but the same goes for Rafa, because frankly hes sucked so far this year.

Lets hope clay season brings back the Rafa we are used to seeing.

Nadal didn't play that badly during the American HC season, he had good matches against Tsonga and Berdych, and reached the semis of both tournaments only to lose tight matches to the eventual winners. Federer really hasn't shown any signs of good form since the AO, so yes; I agree that Nadal would easily beat Fed if they were to play on clay now.

egn
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Prolly cause Fed still has to win Monte Carlo, Rome and uhh Paris to comeplete the master series box set as I like to call it.

Outbeyond
04-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Has anyone news that, indeed, Roger's playing in Monte Carlo? I've not seen anything lately on this.

Augustus
04-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Has anyone news that, indeed, Roger's playing in Monte Carlo? I've not seen anything lately on this.

Like I said before, I couldn't find any confirmation on his website, facebook or any other site. I actually won't believe it till someone posts a link.

Djokovicfan4life
04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
1. It's a tennis tournament.

2, Roger likes to play tennis.

3. Profit.

Matt H.
04-05-2010, 10:39 AM
isn't that inevitable at this point?

federer's ranking points at this point in his career are all from the slams and most of the big masters tournaments.

It's unlikely, but early losses at Madrid and Roland Garros could mathmatically cost him the #1 ranking.

okdude1992
04-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh, i thought this was another thread by HALBA !!! Sorry.

haha oh snap. that was a burn!

babbette
04-05-2010, 11:15 AM
yes!

he's one of those that believes Rafa isn't done yet. He saw how he was playing well in iw, he lost to LUbjicic and he thought, ok it happens to the best of us, I lost early too, it was just a bleep.

the following week, Rafa was playing amazing yet again but then lost in a match he should have won roger then thought...mmm maybe he's not as ready as I thought. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz lemme go repeat Madrid 2009...MIRKA MAKE THE CALL! Gavin and Mirka highfive YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!

abraxas21
04-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Federer isn't even playing MC

KAndersonFan
04-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Federer isn't even playing MC

According to some Italian article, he is seeking a wc for the event.

himynameisNIKE
04-05-2010, 11:36 AM
yes!

he's one of those that believes Rafa isn't done yet. He saw how he was playing well in iw, he lost to LUbjicic and he thought, ok it happens to the best of us, I lost early too, it was just a bleep.

the following week, Rafa was playing amazing yet again but then lost in a match he should have won roger then thought...mmm maybe he's not as ready as I thought. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz lemme go repeat Madrid 2009...MIRKA MAKE THE CALL! Gavin and Mirka highfive YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!

this calls for a mirror thread

P_Agony
04-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Ha ha sure, the guy who just lost to Baghs and Berdych on hard is gonna put pressure on Nadal on clay. Only if he doesn't play Wawrinka first, right?

Murray would disagree http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsGsx8yTKeE

If your really believe Fed puts 100% effort into those MS matches you're clearly in denial.

abraxas21
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
According to some Italian article, he is seeking a wc for the event.

I am guessing the Italian daily who pulled that out probably has as much credibility as Britain's Daily Mail.

Rhino
04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Roger confirmed on Swiss TV he won't be playing MC .

AM95
04-05-2010, 12:44 PM

and nadal?

he's beaten 1 top 10 player this season..
tsonga..

he's a joke

P_Agony
04-05-2010, 01:27 PM
and nadal?

he's beaten 1 top 10 player this season..
tsonga..

he's a joke

Actually Tsonga is the only top 10 player that Nadal beat since Madrid 2009.

Augustus
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Actually Tsonga is the only top 10 player that Nadal beat since Madrid 2009.

That's pretty shocking if you think about it, surely this will change during the clay season though.

TheTruth
04-05-2010, 01:32 PM
But, Nadal doesn't go out as early in tournaments, so he has something to be proud of.

How do people forget the slump Fed was in so quickly? Yeah, Rafa lost at Roland Garros, a tournament he's won four time, but Fed lost at the USO, a tournament he had won five times. It's so funny how that hardly gets a mention.

Sickening actually.

Cyan
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
But, Nadal doesn't go out as early in tournaments, so he has something to be proud of.

How do people forget the slump Fed was in so quickly? Yeah, Rafa lost at Roland Garros, a tournament he's won four time, but Fed lost at the USO, a tournament he had won five times. It's so funny how that hardly gets a mention.

Sickening actually.

Yeah Rafa had to lose at RG sooner or later.

valiant
04-05-2010, 02:06 PM
IF Fed does play, How does it affects Nadal? Nadal owns him on clay last I checked.

babbette
04-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Roger confirmed on Swiss TV he won't be playing MC .

really? then that Italian article was full of crap?:-?

valiant
04-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Wow He isnt even playing :(

Jchurch
04-05-2010, 02:28 PM

Sickening actually.

Federer lost in the final and his opponent arguably cheated. Nadal lost in the 4th round. Little bit of a difference losing in the 4th round to losing in the 5th set of a final.

Rhino
04-05-2010, 02:37 PM
really? then that Italian article was full of crap?:-?

Well anything is possible, I think they keep a place open for him until a couple of days before the tourny but the italian article is just speculation.

Justdoit10
04-05-2010, 03:06 PM
OP makes the stupidest threads ever. Your on your way to joining SamprasFederer1234.

TheTruth
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Federer lost in the final and his opponent arguably cheated. Nadal lost in the 4th round. Little bit of a difference losing in the 4th round to losing in the 5th set of a final.

Cheating! You cannot be serious. That's the first time I've heard that excuse. Now when was this cheating? It's got to be on YouTube. Had Fed been cheated it would have been talked about on these boards until we were all throwing up. I saw that match. There was no cheating. I can't believe you said that.

volleynets
04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Cheating! You cannot be serious. That's the first time I've heard that excuse. Now when was this cheating? It's got to be on YouTube. Had Fed been cheated it would have been talked about on these boards until we were all throwing up. I saw that match. There was no cheating. I can't believe you said that.

The cheating was on youtube. A slow motion video showing Delpo getting Aced perfectly in ready position to return. He then raises his hand and complains to the umpire (who was clearly anywhere in the universe but Arthur Ashe arena that day) that he wasn't ready and they force Federer to replay the point.

TheTruth
04-05-2010, 09:14 PM
The cheating was on youtube. A slow motion video showing Delpo getting Aced perfectly in ready position to return. He then raises his hand and complains to the umpire (who was clearly anywhere in the universe but Arthur Ashe arena that day) that he wasn't ready and they force Federer to replay the point.

Any idea where it is, like what set and all that. There's a lot of footage on YouTube.

Justdoit10
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Any idea where it is, like what set and all that. There's a lot of footage on YouTube.
here it is. Del Potro deserved that match completely but I think what he did here was bogus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvPnFURL_AM

Justdoit10
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
lol its really funny to see actually. That serve by Federer was very well struck and Del Potro even in his ready position was light years away from it. Reminds me of what henin did to serena at RG back in the day.

TheTruth
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
here it is. Del Potro deserved that match completely but I think what he did here was bogus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvPnFURL_AM

It looks pretty shaky. He did look like he was ready, but he did say something about the ballboy. He told the chair to ask the ballboy, so that seems to imply he wasn't lying. Did they ever ask the ballboy? That whole thing looks weird, but that does appears to be an ace that Del Po wasn't ready to receive.

Sentinel
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
^^ This means we can officially hand over the USO 2009 to Roger, and that makes it FOUR slams in a row !!!

World Beater
04-06-2010, 11:49 PM
lol...del potro got aced and then claimed to have been distracted by something that happened in the crowd and likely had no effect on him.

P_Agony
04-07-2010, 12:39 AM

Sickening actually.

Well, it's as shocking because Rafa was out in such an early round at RG while Fed was in the final of the USO and took Del Potro to 5 sets before losing. Nadal is unmatched as far consistency in MS 1000 events go, but as far as consistency in slams, Rafa still isn't quite in Federer's league.

timnz
04-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Its really simple. He is seriously under played at the moment. He has only played about 4 or 5 matches since January. Hence, he needs to play.

aprilfool
04-07-2010, 12:53 AM
It looks pretty shaky. He did look like he was ready, but he did say something about the ballboy. He told the chair to ask the ballboy, so that seems to imply he wasn't lying. Did they ever ask the ballboy? That whole thing looks weird, but that does appears to be an ace that Del Po wasn't ready to receive.

Are you serious? He was doing his little jiggy dance and moving into the serve.

I lost some respect for him after that blatant lie.

davey25
04-07-2010, 01:33 AM

I have a feeling Federer will put more effort into the clay court Masters than he did the hard court Masters. Having won the Australian Open and with the more important hard court events being the tuneups for the U.S later in the year I think he saw the Spring hard court events as mostly a write off and played that way too. I think he knows he cant turn the switch on a dime on clay the same way so will be pushing himself harder in the clay court Masters as he know they are important for his French Open preperation. That plus having never won Monte Carlo or Rome yet. Of course that doesnt mean he cant have a poor result, as you mentioned his loss to Wawrinka last year. However he will definitely be more determined than he was in the hard court Masters where he more or less tanked IMO.

Badger
04-07-2010, 12:02 PM
What? Fed's playing Monte Carlo? Woooooooohoooooooooooo!!! 5 days till he play's again!!! Was bracing myself for a month without him...

JoelDali
04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
What? Fed's playing Monte Carlo? Woooooooohoooooooooooo!!! 5 days till he play's again!!! Was bracing myself for a month without him...

Epic fail.

LOL

Augustus
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Federer will not play Monte Carlo, credible evidence is nowhere to be found.

valiant
04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Whats the FAIL ? He is not playing ?

AM95
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM

your post contradicts itself.

to me it looks like at 40-40, 1 set and a break down, del potro decided to use some gamesmanship/cheating, and get a second serve(?)

he was ready, theres no doubt about it.

its little stuff like this that throws federer off so much.

he played horribly after that, and even worse after that challenge.

Jake Gartner was the worst umpire to pick for a GS final.

newmark401
04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Taken from his website, as of Wednesday evening, 7 April, this is Federer's 2010 schedule from Miami through to Wimbledon:

23.03.10 Sony Ericsson Open 1000 Miami (USA)

25.04.10 Internationali BNL d'Italia 1000 Rome (ITA)

03.05.10 Estoril Open 250 Estoril (POR)

09.05.10 Mutua Madrilena Masters 1000 Madrid (ESP)

23.05.10 Roland Garros GS Paris (FRA)

07.06.10 Gerry Weber Open 250 Halle (GER)

21.06.10 Wimbledon GS Wimbledon (GBR)

volleynets
04-07-2010, 12:36 PM

to me it looks like at 40-40, 1 set and a break down, del potro decided to use some gamesmanship/cheating, and get a second serve(?)

Jake Gartner was the worst umpire to pick for a GS final.

If federer won that set too it would have been a straight set victory and he would now have all 4 slams!!! It definitely takes from Del Potro's win that he cheated during a crucial moment.

aprilfool
04-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Stuff like this indeed throws him off, and his opponents know it.

Emet74
04-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Just watched it; looks like Delpo's saying that a cup fell down during Fed's motion which distracted him.

He was ready prior to the serve; the problem happened during the serve. If there is interference like that, like sth blowing on court, isn't it normal to replay the point?

It's annoying but umpire may have made the right call.

Anyway, I think Fed went on to win the game so it was an irritating but not crucial incident.

Gen
04-09-2010, 12:45 AM
There's no proof that Federer asked for a WC. THe tournament doesn't confirm it. Hopefully, the last year story will not be repeated (when Federer promised that he would play in MC, and then had asked a WC 3 days before the tournament started).

Love Game
04-09-2010, 02:39 AM
Just watched it; looks like Delpo's saying that a cup fell down during Fed's motion which distracted him.

He was ready prior to the serve; the problem happened during the serve. If there is interference like that, like sth blowing on court, isn't it normal to replay the point?

It's annoying but umpire may have made the right call.

Anyway, I think Fed went on to win the game so it was an irritating but not crucial.

Exactly, Roger did win that game. And that's exactly what happened.

In his elementary English Delpo explains to Garner that "the glass fell down" ...... of course, he mean a paper or styrofoam cup ... Then, because Garner hadn't seen it happen, he told Garner to "ask the ballboy" because the ballboy had run over and picked it up while Garner and Delpo were talking. Until Garner asked the ballboy, he thought Delpo had been ready because he was in the ready position, so Garner was prepared to rule as such.

BUT after the ballboy backed up what Delpo had said (namely that while Garner and Federer and the camera were all looking at Delpo, a paper cup fell from the stands and onto the court just as Federer served), Garner ruled to replay the point precisely for the reason you mention: namely, that the cup would have caused interference by the very fact that it would have blown around during the point, causing interference, which would have resulted in a let being called and the point being replayed. Garner correctly ruled accordingly.

Delpo did the proper and correct thing by purposely not playing the ball in an interference/let situation that he saw developing and instead raising his racket toward the umpire in order to explain.

http://i33.tinypic.com/fe3o2c.png

NoleDjoko
04-09-2010, 03:02 AM
he isn't playing monte carlo