PDA

View Full Version : Cheers for Andre

Coria
05-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Pretty amazing stuff for a 35 year old to get to the Italian Open semis and then have an excellent chance to force a third set against one of the top 2 or 3 clay courters in the world. Too bad he let that second set get away. But, other than the second set breaker, he played Coria practically even--a guy about 14 years his junior. Andre is a freak of nature, when you objectively look at it. What's he doing at his age is pretty impressive stuff--especially with how well he's still moving. It adds to his legend. Sampras at 35 (assuming he was still playing and in shape) would almost certainly not be able to get out of any european first round clay court event. Same with the other recent greats (Becker, Courier, Edberg).

federerhoogenbandfan
05-08-2005, 08:58 AM
It is interesting when Agassi plays a match with a ton of errors and loses a cheering thread is started for him, when Venus or Serena, especially Venus, plays a match with significant number of errors and loses well......

In any case I agree it was an encouraging week for Agassi. He could have won that match with a bit more focus, and less irritation with the shadows that he self-imposed himself on some key moments. He may be a contender at the FO after all.

tommytom11
05-08-2005, 09:53 AM
It is interesting when Agassi plays a match with a ton of errors and loses a cheering thread is started for him, when Venus or Serena, especially Venus, plays a match with significant number of errors and loses well......

o'h yeah. real good comparison, Andre and the Williams sisters????
its an insult to AA to even have his name mentioned in the same sentence with them.

35ft6
05-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Steroids is a helluva drug.

Rodzilla
05-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Yes cheers for Andre, Andre's still in such great shape but I can't see him at RG surviving two weeks of the toughest tournament in the world at 35. I think come RG time Andre will make it to quarters at most.

gugafanatic
05-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Andre is a great player on any surface. He demonstrated that when dispatching an in-form Gasquet with such ease.

Aykhan Mammadov
05-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Boys, we have to be objective. Agassi is the GREAT because he is playing competitive tennis with nowday stars at age 35. He has no chances to run as Nadal at his 35. The fact that he still threatens every player on the tour means he is GREAT player.

I place myself in his situation. When I'm playing with 12-14 years old boys at my 39 I see I can't run so fast as they do despite I don't consider myself old at all.

swedechris
05-09-2005, 12:24 AM
i think talk of steroids and stuff like that has to be a bit oif a short cut to the real truth ..
even provided andre would be a fraud = on drugs , he would have to work tremendously hard to stay the way he is .
i for one prefer to think of him as innocent until above tread besserwisser prioves me wrong . andre plays the game for a very lonng time now and has always been ahead of the tiomes. he stands in on every chnce and hits on the rise . try that with or without steriods and your opponent will have to run more than you . :)
thsi is the key to 'protecting 'your body . be effieceint and have purpose with you shots and you will be a happy dude.

Datacipher
05-09-2005, 12:33 AM

Well it's our old foolish friend Coria. He does this. Agassi could win 1 round and he'd do this. He has a bizarre up with Agassi, down with Sampras etc etc agenda. Kudos to Andre though!

Actually Courier could probably be doing something similar.

Yes, we live in an age of wondrous chemistry which is allowing spectactular performance from aging athletes in a variety of sports. Having said that, the young guys use it to, so it's a level field...except for those few poor souls with integrity who try to go clean. Luckily in tennis, I believe there is still a place for them, unlike many of the other sports.

Coria
05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=Datacipher]Well it's our old foolish friend Coria. He does this. Agassi could win 1 round and he'd do this.

Uhhh, no I wouldn't.

"Actually Courier could probably be doing something similar."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH--one of the dumbest comments I've EVER read. Jimbo was SHOT--KAPUT--by the time he was 27 years of age. What stuff are you smoking dataentry???? After '96, Courier was TOAST. He never even came CLOSE to being a top 5 player after '93. Do your research dude.

*****NEWS FLASH!!!!!!! Agassi got to the semifinals of the SECOND most prestigious clay event in the world-and played one of the top two or three clay courters of the last ten years even until the second set tiebreaker--at 35 years of age. That's incredible, simple as that.

Coria
05-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Wow, no response from Datadude--that's a first.