PDA

View Full Version : Fed's crazy clay court schedule

roysid
04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't know why he's playing Estoril, thus making it 3 weeks in a row. He has a major risk of getting spent before French Open, remember Djokovic last year.

Granted that at Estoril he has almost sure chance of capturing a title. But points wise it is not great. Monte Carlo is much better. Plus you get rest.

Win 4 matches at Estoril, get 250 points. Win 3 matches at Monte Carlo, get 360 points.

It must be for the grand appearance fee he'll get at Estoril, then.

dmt
04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I dont know even if he is going to give it a 100 percent before the french open, maybe he wont take rome etc too seriously.

Agassifan
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
He'll just play in the matches instead of practice

OddJack
04-05-2010, 10:48 PM
4 Matches, 28 man draw and first round bye. It's less time than he usually spends practicing each day. He knows what he's doing, there is no reason to worry.

MIAMI: Roger Federer has opted to skip next month's prestigious Monte Carlo Masters and begin his preparations for the defence of his French Open title in the more modest surroundings of Estoril in Portugal.

The 28-year-old world number one, who won his first Roland Garros title in 2009, wants to get his timing for the claycourt Grand Slam just right especially with Rafael Nadal desperate to reclaim the trophy he held for the four previous years.

"I always look at the schedule - what's the best preparation for the French Open? What am I in the mood to do? What am I in the mood to play?" said Federer.

"Monaco is not a mandatory event anymore, that gives us a bit of an option. There are a lot of points there to go get, but it's really early in the season." When his work on the hardcourts in Miami is finished, Federer is keen for a few weeks of downtime to prepare him not only for the French Open but for the unrelenting run through to Wimbledon.

"I want to have some vacation after a long trip here in the States so I'm really fresh for the long trip really from Rome (late April) until Wimbledon," said Federer.

"I want to be refreshed till the very end of Wimbledon. I believe that this is the right schedule this year."

Estoril, which Federer won in 2008 by beating Nikolay Davydenko, will have only a 28-man draw, which gives the four leading seeds first-round byes.

That was a deciding element in the Federer scheduling process.

"If I would have had to win five matches to win the tournament in between two Masters 1000s (Rome and Madrid) I think it would have been quite unlikely I would have played."

decades
04-05-2010, 11:06 PM
he will tank if need be. don't worry about fed. smart. that guy....

OrangeOne
04-05-2010, 11:09 PM
^^ Agree with above.

Fed (unlike Nadal) has been a master of scheduling throughout his career, sounds like he knows what he wants.

He probably figures an extra match at an easy tournament is better for him than tougher matches at a harder tournament.

Or something like that ;)

Rippy
04-06-2010, 05:51 AM
I can't imagine it's for the appearance fee, he doesn't need the money.

JennyS
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I think he wanted 3 weeks off before 3 weeks of playing, instead of just playing every other week from Indian Wells through Madrid.

forzamilan90
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
only fed knows the true reason for the schedule he makes

ChanceEncounter
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
The dude has been to the semifinals or better in every grand slam for pretty much the last 6 years. I'm sure he can manage a schedule.

Jchurch
04-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Fed knows Fed best. Don't doubt him. If he wins the FO this year then he'll be herald for choosing his epic schedule!

West Coast Ace
04-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I can't imagine it's for the appearance fee, he doesn't need the money.I love Fed - but he's got a bit of greed in him - he's no saint. The Sampras exo's for instance. And did you know his official residence in SUI is in the 'state' that has the lowest taxes? Not sure if spending time in Dubai gets him tax breaks too.

Fed knows Fed best. Don't doubt him. If he wins the FO this year then he'll be herald for choosing his epic schedule!Even if he makes it to the SF and loses to 'you know who'.

vive le beau jeu !
04-07-2010, 12:06 AM
That was a deciding element in the Federer scheduling process.

"If I would have had to win five matches to win the tournament in between two Masters 1000s (Rome and Madrid) I think it would have been quite unlikely I would have played."
these 28 players draws were one of the rare good things of the "Mr.Mickey reform". this is another evidence that it helps "regular" tournaments to get top players, especially when they are scheduled close to bigger events, or right after a davis cup tie.

i hope this will be a good schedule for roger. :)

P_Agony
04-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Fed needs to gain some points as it'll be hard to defend both Madrid and RG, perhaps impossible with Nadal in the picture.

ronnyy7
04-07-2010, 05:59 AM
only fed knows the true reason for the schedule he makes

Chuck Norris also knows.

ksbh
04-07-2010, 06:17 AM
I can only hope they're both in opposite sides of the draw. I wouldn't mind a match between these 2 at any stage, the first round included(!), but squaring off in the final will be most exciting, especially since it hasn't happened at a grand slam since AO 2009.

Even if he makes it to the SF and loses to 'you know who'.

Li Ching Yuen
04-07-2010, 06:30 AM
All this talk, but in fact, Federer never really announced this, now did he?

Gorecki
04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
any of you tennis master coaches ever thought why such a small tournament always gets so many big names?

maybe because it is actually a nice tournament where they get to rest from the media madness and play while making some dough? or the place is just nice and cosy and people friendly... you know... third world goodies...

\rant

just ask any of the players who have beem here... look at blake... he gets here every time he can... so does kolja... nalbo...

Gorecki
04-07-2010, 12:53 PM
All this talk, but in fact, Federer never really announced this, now did he?

here genius...

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/rogers/schedule/index.cfm?uSchedule=360

KAndersonFan
04-07-2010, 12:56 PM
I think the Estoril trophy is cool looking :)

Rippy
04-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I love Fed - but he's got a bit of greed in him - he's no saint. The Sampras exo's for instance. And did you know his official residence in SUI is in the 'state' that has the lowest taxes? Not sure if spending time in Dubai gets him tax breaks too.

Yeah of course he's not a saint, I'm sure he likes money, but you know, he doesn't exactly need any more of it. No way he'd jeopardise his performance at the French for an appearance fee.

roysid
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
If he does well in all 3, he should because Rome and Madrid are pretty fast courts and Estoril is a small tourney.

But unlike Djokovic, I hope Federer can recover better. Maybe he'll struggle in first week of French open. Second week back to best tennis.

Nole also will play 3 weeks, no choice for him :)

OrangeOne
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah of course he's not a saint, I'm sure he likes money, but you know, he doesn't exactly need any more of it. No way he'd jeopardise his performance at the French for an appearance fee.

Absolutely. Let's say the appearance fee is 500k. It may be more or less, let's say it's that.

Not only the difference between losing and winning the FO more than that, his sponsor bonuses for winning a slam, and more importantly his ever-growing status from legend to almost immortal would be worth so much more in the long run....

malakas
04-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't worry at all when it comes to Fed and scheduling.He knows better than anyone how to do this and be at his best in the slams.

Gen
04-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Every time Federer came to Monte Carlo he was successfully beaten by Nadal. Decided to go some place where nobody would beat his hairy *****.

dropshot winner
04-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Every time Federer came to Monte Carlo he was successfully beaten by Nadal. Decided to go some place where nobody would beat his hairy *****.

Wawrinka = Nadal? Or does the 2009 clay season doesn't count? :D

Emet74
04-08-2010, 07:02 AM
I love Fed - but he's got a bit of greed in him - he's no saint. The Sampras exo's for instance. And did you know his official residence in SUI is in the 'state' that has the lowest taxes? Not sure if spending time in Dubai gets him tax breaks too.

Sure he tries to make $ but FYI his "official residence" in SUI is where he actually lives when he's there, and his lawyer has pointed out that if he wanted to save more on taxes he could declare Dubai his official residence and pay nothing at all; he pays swiss taxes by choice.