PDA

View Full Version : Will Nadal Win the French???


counterpunch
05-08-2005, 11:04 AM
What do you guys think, I say no, he cant make it through 7 matches with his style. With 3 out of 5 the whole way he wont have anything left at the end.

DariusRaiden
05-08-2005, 11:18 AM
I said no, but not because of fitness. Take a look at the kid, he doesn't look at all out of shape to me! He just won a 5+ hour match against Coria to win Rome. But back to the point, he may be too burned out after playing so many matches on clay.
Nadal is going to win some majors in his career, and the French will be the first, but this year is just a bit too early to win it. The French Open is full of surprises......Costa, Gaudio, heck Guga was a big surprise in 1997. Nadal is a major contender, but won't lift the trophy.......this year. Think of all those expectations on an 18 year old! Watch those clay courters that everyone has written off or forgotten, those are the ones who will surprise the big names in Paris.

Jack the Hack
05-08-2005, 11:27 AM
I totally agree with DariusRaiden's assessment!

Nadal looks real strong, but I thought he faded big time in the 5 setter verses Federer in Miami last month. I took it from that experience that he wasn't physically or mentally ready to handle 5 set matches against the top players. Going toe to toe with Coria over 5 hours today and winning showed me a lot. However, winning 7 best of 5 matches in a row at his very first French Open still seems like a long shot to me... especially with all the energy he has expended this spring, and the large assortment of great clay court specialists that he will have to get through to win the title at RG.

As was said, I think Nadal has several Grand Slam championships in his future... but I wouldn't bet money on this year's French. (That still doesn't mean I won't root for him or hope he gets a good draw!!!)

Rodzilla
05-08-2005, 11:39 AM
I know a lot of people are thinking what I'm thinking. He is so in form right now but on his first trip you can't expect him to take it all the way. My prediction is quarters or semis.

Rafa Nadal
05-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Boris Becker said that Nadal is French Open Favourit, the Master has spoken !!! :)

VamosRafa
05-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Jack, today's match showed me a lot, too. I think if they pull him out of Hamburg, and give him two weeks to deal with the blisters and perhaps get some rest, it will help him a lot at RG. If nothing else, this told him that he can grind out a tough 5 setter, after playing 2 tough three-setters on the prior two days. But I don't think one week rest before RG is enough.

And the match also showed just how mentally tough Rafa is. He won that match through sheer determination.

gugafanatic
05-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Nadal should simply pull out of Hamburg and accept the fine. This year could be a great oppurtunity to win RG with soo many big names not playing at their peak i.e Fed, Ferrero and Guga. The fine will hardly hurt hes current pay cheque, and he needs time to rest to avoid burn out. The alternative would be to not play 100% at Hamburg and suffer an early exist.

Count Grishnackh
05-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I think its absolutely imperative that Nadal pulls out of Hamburg and the not even attempt the World Team Cup thing either. Just give yourself a nice 3-4 week rest and heal the hand and rest those legs. He'll need them in Paris. He not only needs to rest physically but emotionally as well. I seriously thought that once Coria won the 4th set he would coast through the 5th but I give serious credit to Nadal for just winning through desire and determination alone. He gives Hewitt a run for his money on heart and stamina. He is the clear favorite in France and he'll win the first 4 rounds maybe in straight sets and he'll possibly have to deal with 4 or 5 setters once he enters the QF's. I really like his chances.

gugafanatic
05-08-2005, 01:42 PM
I think its absolutely imperative that Nadal pulls out of Hamburg and the not even attempt the World Team Cup thing either. Just give yourself a nice 3-4 week rest and heal the hand and rest those legs. He'll need them in Paris. He not only needs to rest physically but emotionally as well. I seriously thought that once Coria won the 4th set he would coast through the 5th but I give serious credit to Nadal for just winning through desire and determination alone. He gives Hewitt a run for his money on heart and stamina. He is the clear favorite in France and he'll win the first 4 rounds maybe in straight sets and he'll possibly have to deal with 4 or 5 setters once he enters the QF's. I really like his chances.

I wonder what Susan has to say about this???. It is imperative that Nadal skips or tanks hes first rd match at Hamburg

splink779
05-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Nadal is so intense, it's hard to see him not winning the french. By the looks of it he gets better every day. He's beaten every favorite to win the FO this clay court season already. He's gone down by 1 or 2 sets, but he always seems to grind it out. I predict that he will be quite pumped up, and make short work of his first 4 or 5 matches, perhaps face a four setter. If he loses at Roland Garros it will be in a dogfight in the final.

VamosRafa
05-08-2005, 04:44 PM
I wonder what Susan has to say about this???. It is imperative that Nadal skips or Hamburg or tanks hes first rd match.

I basically agree with the first part of it. From what we understand, he's flying to Hamburg, and will decide then whether he's fit to play. He likely will consult with the ATP trainers, especially about the wounds on his left hand.

It isn't in Nadal's nature to tank a match -- just the opposite. So if he isn't fit to play, the ATP should certify that he isn't, and he should go home. If they say he's fit, he likely will play. But he's bound to be tired, and if he goes deep in the draw, it could impact him at RG. Just have to see what happens.

TwistServe
05-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Or he should just play a few rounds in hamburg and then pull out with a withdrawl lol..

VamosRafa
05-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Or he should just play a few rounds in hamburg and then pull out with a withdrawl lol..

You don't know Rafa very well, do you? He's someone that didn't pull out of doubles in Barcelona even though it was potentially impacting his singles results. He's a fierce competitor. It's better that he doesn't play at all, because if he's in there, he'll go for it.

Marius_Hancu
05-08-2005, 06:05 PM
40% chances, 40% Federer, 20% Coria.
Will see what comes up of these predictions.

raftermania
05-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Nadal has been winning A LOT of tournaments for the first time this year, I don't see why he can't add Roland Garros to the list. He has proven he can play with the best of them on clay and beat them. Rafa has been taking all of the pressure put on him in stride, the prodigy and his flying fist pumps should be enough to seize the clay in Paris.

Rickson
05-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Federer will win it and if he doesn't, my next choice is Coria.