PDA

View Full Version : ATP pushing?

soyizgood
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
The term "pusher" has been tossed around a lot even discussing ATP players. Face it, we've all done so (said it or even practiced certain aspects of it playing) in some form. Some of the names thrown around include:

Simon
Hewitt
Monfils
Roddick
Nadal
Murray
Robredo
Ferrer
Santoro

Even aggressive players have been noted for their passive play on certain strokes:
Federer's backhand slice returns even on soft 2nd serves, Gasquet's forehand, etc.

This is not a bash thread. But a way to argue/discuss what defines the use of the term "pusher" when discussing ATP players.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Honestly, the term "pusher" to me refers to someone who just puts the ball back in play as safely as possible every time waiting for the other person to make an error. Therefore no one on this list to me qualifies for that term because sometimes they may drop off at a certain time or on a stroke and wait for someone to error, but they don't do it constantly.

I think it's a highly overused and annoying word that happens to be popular with commentators and others reporting tennis news. Rather like the reports teenagers should have developed a vocabulary of over 40,000 words by the age of 16, yet all too many are limit themselves to only a few thousand. These reporters and broadcasters use certain "by words" and "hot" terms to seem in the know. It just seems juvenile to me using a word with so many possible subjective meanings to apply to those who it clearly doesn't fit.

Mr_Shiver
04-06-2010, 01:19 PM
To me a pusher is someone that doesnt use fully developed strokes and literally pushes the ball back. They have to wait for their opponent to make an ue because they lack the skills to dictate play. I think there are pros that are not as comfortable dictating play but there are no pushers.

Anaconda
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Damn. Most of my favourites; Ferrer, Hewitt and Roddick are pushers.

rodd_fan
04-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Damn, another Nadal-Murray-Roddick hater

Anaconda
04-07-2010, 01:35 AM
1) Prime Hewitt was never a pusher. In fact when he was winning a few slams and the guy to beat on tour he would play aggressively. Hence why he was able to blow Sampras off the court in the US open final. Just because he cannot hit a forehand like Gonzalez or a backhand like Safin doesn't make him a pusher. He was a baseliner who would primarily attack but because of his speed and his footwork he was able to counterpunch and scramble. Hewitt is actually good in every department of the game.

2) OP, watch Roddick v Nadal in Miami. Then you would know that neither of them push.

3) Simon actually is a defensive baseliner who can actually flatten out his strokes and his a nice 2H BH. Whether it's CC or DTL. He will actually play aggressive if he has too.

I could go on. But Robredo and Murray aren't pushers either; Murray is known as a 'junk-baller', Robredo is just a player with no weapons what so ever but doesn't push. People might seem to think that because he doesn't take chances he automatically pushes.

In stead of slating the guys with Grand Slam titles to their names, rip the guys like Gulbis who can't even put a ball into the court and has played 5 good sets in is whole career.

FD3S
04-07-2010, 01:37 AM
I think the term 'pusher' is grossly misused when it comes to talking about pros. Some players play more defensively then others, that's true. But I can't think of any pro players, off the top of my head, who have no weapons and just float everything back (yes, even Murray and Simon; their rally shots are spinny and more placement focused, but they're not puffballs that can be crushed at will for winners).

The thing is, a pusher seems to be a rite of passage at lower levels. I recall my coach saying that you can tell the real level of a player by watching how they deal with am equivalent level pusher; inevitably, if the rating holds out, the pusher gets destroyed because once their gameplan has been figured out, that's it - they have no pace or real weapon to fall back on when their rally balls are getting dealt with decisively. No one on that list really fits that description; even Hewitt and Ferrer can crank the ball if they feel like it, and when they get beat it's not because they're not going for anything in the vain hope of an UE.

We may lambast a lot of pros for being pushers when we see them playing passively, but honestly the true pusher probably tops out at 4.0/4.5. No way they get any higher than that unless they evolve into true counter-punchers.

P_Agony
04-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Federer
Berdych
Gonzales
Karlovic
Verdasco
Tsonga
Gulbis

I'm really sick of those pushers ;-)

aldeayeah
04-07-2010, 03:07 AM
You forgot Soderling, Del Potro and Blake!

Crispix
04-07-2010, 03:30 AM
OMG Gulbis is like the biggest pusher ever, could it kill him to once try hit a winner?

sh@de
04-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Federer's trying to push as well now according to P_Agony? How arrogant.

tacou
04-07-2010, 06:26 AM
find clips from Monfils vs Simon, Australian Open 2009. that is pro level pushing.

Li Ching Yuen
04-07-2010, 06:30 AM
find clips from Monfils vs Simon, Australian Open 2009. that is pro level pushing.

That match was disgusting.

How come no one boycotted that match is beyond my understanding.

Ambivalent
04-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Federer
Berdych
Gonzales
Karlovic
Verdasco
Tsonga
Gulbis

I'm really sick of those pushers ;-)

That god damn Gulbis and Verdasco. When will they learn pushing doesn't win????

BorisBeckerFan
04-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I thought the word "pusher" is a term used by unskilled imbittered losers to describe the person that just kicked there teeth in on the tennis court.