PDA

View Full Version : I miss the Nadal of the old days at #2

NickH87
04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Back when he sported the long hair, pirate shorts, cutoff shirts, the raging bull that he was. Then corporate Nike got a hold on him and put him in a stupid polo and baggy shorts :evil:.

Ledigs
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Agree char10

AM95
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
i miss the days that nadal didnt use his knee as an excuse for losing ;)

CanadianChic
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I agree. But then again I miss Pudding Pops which have not been available here for years and years. I had to find something else to enjoy as much, such as sherbet. My advice is to find new things to appreciate about Nadal and just remember the ol' days fondly.

CanadianChic
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
i miss the days that nadal didnt use his knee as an excuse for losing ;)

I miss the days when Fed didn't use Mono as an excuse for losing. ;)

NickH87
04-07-2010, 07:06 PM
I agree. But then again I miss Pudding Pops which have not been available here for years and years. I had to find something else to enjoy as much, such as sherbet. My advice is to find new things to appreciate about Nadal and just remember the ol' days fondly.

Yeah I just flipped on the tennis channel and they are showing and old match of federer vs nadal from '08 I believe. Some needs to sabotage nadals wardrobe before a match so he is forced to wear a cutoff.

CanadianChic
04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah I just flipped on the tennis channel and they are showing and old match of federer vs nadal from '08 I believe. Some needs to sabotage nadals wardrobe before a match so he is forced to wear a cutoff.

I prefer the 'Spanish Bull' (ie: warriour) look to the 'Country Club Reject in Lovely Pastels' look as well. Why not just throw a skirt on him or have him throw his pants on backwards after Wimby. :shock:

Mr_Shiver
04-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I miss the days when it seemed like the only people federer and nadal lost to were each other. Parity is nice and all but i think we were spoiled by the high level of tennis they consistently produced.

NickH87
04-07-2010, 07:17 PM
I also noticed how sucky it is not watching tennis in HD, guess Im spoiled because I started really following tennis religiously while it was already in high def.

AM95
04-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I miss the days when Fed didn't use Mono as an excuse for losing. ;)

federer no do that for 2 years straight. no?

Talker
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I prefer the 'Spanish Bull' (ie: warriour) look to the 'Country Club Reject in Lovely Pastels' look as well. Why not just throw a skirt on him or have him throw his pants on backwards after Wimby. :shock:

Ha Ha, I do miss the old look though.

abraxas21
04-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I miss the old look as well.

namelessone
04-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Back when he sported the long hair, pirate shorts, cutoff shirts, the raging bull that he was. Then corporate Nike got a hold on him and put him in a stupid polo and baggy shorts :evil:.

Nadal was great in the old look. In this look,he is ok,but nothing great. Each player has a characteristic with which we identify and it shows in their clothes. It's ok to have Fed play in polo's because the guys game and image says "elegant". Nike really messed this up with Rafa because they had a great image going for him. He had sleevelss shirts,long pants,bandana,long hair,it had a more down-to-earth appeal,grittyness if you will,it matches his game and his personality(also down to earth as well). DelPo has taken a good route staying with the sleveless cause it also complements his game and image(big guy,big serve,big forehand,can't stick him in polo's). I also like Murray's and Djoker's outfits,they look good on them and complement their image.

Rafa is currently the worst dressed guy in the top10,if not top20. It's like they did a 180 on his pirate image but they messed up real bad(plus I can't imagine who the hell buys those shorts in nike stores).

Rafa should go back to being a pirate.

Lsmkenpo
04-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Nadal was great in the old look. In this look,he is ok,but nothing great. Each player has a characteristic with which we identify and it shows in their clothes. It's ok to have Fed play in polo's because the guys game and image says "elegant". Nike really messed this up with Rafa because they had a great image going for him. He had sleevelss shirts,long pants,bandana,long hair,it had a more down-to-earth appeal,grittyness if you will,it matches his game and his personality(also down to earth as well). DelPo has taken a good route staying with the sleveless cause it also complements his game and image(big guy,big serve,big forehand,can't stick him in polo's). I also like Murray's and Djoker's outfits,they look good on them and complement their image.

Rafa is currently the worst dressed guy in the top10,if not top20. It's like they did a 180 on his pirate image but they messed up real bad(plus I can't imagine who the hell buys those shorts in nike stores).

The image is what they think will sell merchandise it is not developed from the player, the player look is developed into the image they wish to convey to their target group.

Did you ever happen to see what Nadal wore prior to the Nike image that was his own choosing, some of the stuff he wore I would expect to see on 70 year olds down at the local club, certainly far from the image Nike created for him to start his career. There was a picture of him and Soderling together early in their careers walking on a beach and Rafa's clothes were hideous in fit and fashion.
I wish I could find that picture, far from the Rafa we think we know.

CMM
04-08-2010, 01:38 AM
The image is what they think will sell merchandise it is not developed from the player, the player look is developed into the image they wish to convey to their target group.

Did you ever happen to see what Nadal wore prior to the Nike image that was his own choosing, some of the stuff he wore I would expect to see on 70 year olds down at the local club, certainly far from the image Nike created for him to start his career. There was a picture of him and Soderling together early in their careers walking on a beach and Rafa's clothes were hideous in fit and fashion.
http://i40.tinypic.com/1zhkbn.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/11vi0y9.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/bi6ryo.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/14e5pxz.jpg

I don't see anything hideous. I like it more than the pirate look.

malakas
04-08-2010, 01:39 AM
he grew up,he can't be always the teenager the "rebel" :rolleyes:

What I certainly don't miss is the monotonous duopoly it's so refreshing and nice to see ,both of them lose against Ljubo or Davydenko or others of the "washed up journeymen".

Lsmkenpo
04-08-2010, 01:49 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/1zhkbn.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/11vi0y9.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/bi6ryo.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/14e5pxz.jpg

I don't see anything hideous. I like it more than the pirate look.

The last 2 aren't bad, the one on the beach I don't like, there was another pic from that scene that was up closer that I remember I particularly did not care for, his shorts looked
awful. Do you have that one?

namelessone
04-08-2010, 01:54 AM

Well that is what I was saying. The look that Nike crafted for him was kick *** and it was up a notch from what he wore in his younger day,when he wore baggy shirts and such. It fit him perfectly and that's how most people remember him still.

I don't get who Nike markets Rafa to nowadays. I get Federer. You sell his stuff to guys who want a elite image,on-court,off-court. Nike was going for the younger crowd with sleveless Rafa. Who the hell buys waffle-like shorts? Or the all pink ensemble from last year? I bought some of Rafa's classic green RG gear and it looked(and looks) great. Out of the things he wore from RG 09' till today I don't think I would buy anything else other than the Montreal-Cincy 09' ensemble and maybe the USO yellow polo.

CMM
04-08-2010, 01:58 AM
The last 2 aren't bad, the one on the beach I don't like, their was another pic from that scene that was up closer that I remember I particularly did not care for, his shorts looked
awful. Do you have that one?

No, but a pair of white shorts can't be worse than the stuff he wears right now.

CMM
04-08-2010, 01:59 AM
I don't get who Nike markets Rafa to nowadays. I get Federer. You sell his stuff to guys who want a elite image,on-court,off-court. Nike was going for the younger crowd with sleveless Rafa. Who the hell buys waffle-like shorts? Or the all pink ensemble from last year? I bought some of Rafa's classic green RG gear and it looked(and looks) great. Out of the things he wore from RG 09' till today I don't think I would buy anything else other than the Montreal-Cincy 09' ensemble and maybe the USO yellow polo.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2uzqnbn.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/i1zmll.jpg

namelessone
04-08-2010, 02:06 AM

I see. So they went from marketing to teenagers to the really,really,really young crowd.

I would like to see those kids do a running fh a la nadal thought they can't probably even hold a racket :)

Lsmkenpo
04-08-2010, 02:08 AM
Well that is what I was saying. The look that Nike crafted for him was kick *** and it was up a notch from what he wore in his younger day,when he wore baggy shirts and such. It fit him perfectly and that's how most people remember him still.

I don't think there are many over 18 who you would see pulling off the capri and sleeveless look, the new look is slightly more mainstream, it appeals to a larger crowd of potential buyers.

malakas
04-08-2010, 02:20 AM
oh god.So we will soon see Nadal playing in diapers.

angiebaby
04-08-2010, 02:36 AM

I actually really like this present look. He's working the bright colours and patterns, he looks great! The pirate look was good while it lasted but one has to grow up and evolve as time passes and that's what's happening.

I like. :)

swissmiss
04-08-2010, 03:34 AM

Those would make his butt look nice, no? :D

I hated the pirate look, mostly I think because I hate the fist-pumping/lawnmower/other celebratory/macho gestures he makes on court and I feel like the pirate clothes emphasized that.

I like the crew neck shirt and shorts look, and for instance I thought his AO and IW outfits last year were nice, but the checks and patterns on the shorts are going too far IMO, and some of the colors are just a bit too much. Still, I think his yellow Miami T-shirt would have been very nice with just plain white shorts, and same for his AO T-shirt. I feel like they just need to tone it down a little bit. His outfits nowadays have too much going on.

The-Champ
04-08-2010, 03:39 AM
I heard somewhere that Rafa bought Johnny Depp's outfit from that Pirate movie.

valiant
04-08-2010, 03:39 AM

What do you think is it easier to pick butt in diapers.hmm........

valiant
04-08-2010, 03:40 AM
I heard somewhere that Rafa bought Johnny Depp's outfit in the Pirate movie.

Whoa. He should look awesome in that. Love johny depp, my favourite actor.

big bang
04-08-2010, 04:03 AM
I don't think there are many over 18 who you would see pulling off the capri and sleeveless look, the new look is slightly more mainstream, it appeals to a larger crowd of potential buyers.

then you are wrong, I love the old look and hate the new one. I allways play in capri and sleeveless and Im 34. hate polos they are uncomfortable and sissy looking:mad:

CMM
04-08-2010, 04:27 AM
I heard somewhere that Rafa bought Johnny Depp's outfit from that Pirate movie.

http://i43.tinypic.com/35cprt3.jpg

NickH87
04-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Well its always about money and Im sure they are making more of it now than before with Rafa.

rommil
04-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Just about sums up the majority of Nadal's fanbase..............hehe

cknobman
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Been watching the MonteCarlo classics on TTC of Fed-Nadal and I have to say I really prefer Rafa's new look 1000 time over the old one.

kimbahpnam
04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
yea...i miss when nadal was #2

rommil
04-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Been watching the MonteCarlo classics on TTC of Fed-Nadal and I have to say I really prefer Rafa's new look 1000 time over the old one.

I agree. Rafa has gotten older, more mature. The sleeveless/ clamdigger looks has gotten redundant and trite(always was if you ask me).

BHud
04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Nike really messed this up with Rafa because they had a great image going for him. He had sleevelss shirts,long pants,bandana,long hair,it had a more down-to-earth appeal,grittyness if you will,it matches his game and his personality(also down to earth as well).

...but none of it translated into retail sales. How many people did you see wearing pirate pants and sleeveless shirts at the tennis courts (with the exception of a few juniors who were being supported by their parents). Nike is in the business to sell product...I suspect that's why they've given Rafa a more globally appealing look...although I have to say it makes him look like a wussy.

JoshDragon
04-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I miss that too. Nadal was absolutely awesome back then.

Don't think I've ever heard of them before, but they sound good.:)

JoshDragon
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Even at 5 years old, they still have a better style sense than Andre did in 1991.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/agassikitG_450x581.jpg

Lsmkenpo
04-08-2010, 11:33 AM
then you are wrong, I love the old look and hate the new one. I allways play in capri and sleeveless and Im 34. hate polos they are uncomfortable and sissy looking:mad:

:) You wearing the style does not prove me wrong, I said very few over 18 will wear it, or pull off the look. Do you see more people your age wearing that style, or the polos?

I don't have anything against you wearing it, if you feel it looks good and are happy wearing it, I am happy for you.

JoshDragon
04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
:) You wearing the style does not prove me wrong, I said very few over 18 will wear it, or pull off the look. Do you see more people your age wearing that style, or the polos?

I don't have anything against you wearing it, if you feel it looks good and are happy wearing it, I am happy for you.

Who cares? It looks a whole lot better than what he wears today and especially last year.

Lsmkenpo
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Who cares? It looks a whole lot better than what he wears today and especially last year.

Because you fail to understand, it has nothing at all to do with what looks better on Nadal, Nike does not care about that, what they care about is what they can sell, it is about product not Nadal.

Semi-Pro
04-08-2010, 02:13 PM
His style of play matched his outfit back then. Gritty, and all out. I'm kind of disappointed he changed his attire last year. Doesn't fit him at all.

P_Agony
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM

Well, I agree, but you see, Rafa was #1 for a large part of 2008-2009 and as such they probably felt he needed a change in his clothing style because he was no longer the priate or the rebel, he was the king, and won the most precious award in tennis, Wimbledon, which isn't on the "dirty" clay but rather on the "royal" grass. as #1, Rafa had to mature, and with that his image and clothing style. I can understand why Nike made the change and I won't be surprised the same change will happen to Delpo when and if he ever reaches the #1 ranking.

Don't forget Federer's hair before he was #1 and a short period after that he changed his haircut to a much more mature style.

Carsomyr
04-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Just about sums up the majority of Nadal's fanbase..............hehe

Well yeah, that should have been evident from the old Kia commercial.

Anaconda
04-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Only a really special person could get offended and annoyed at what a tennis player wears.

Gen
04-09-2010, 03:39 AM
Still don't understand why 31-year old Moya can wear sleeveless shirts, and nobody calls him "immature", and the maturity of 23-year old Rafa depends on sleeves. Sleeveless shirts and pirates were his brand and his image. Why change it to atrocious ice-cream cones (his IW attire) is beyond my understanding.

reversef
04-09-2010, 05:13 AM
A player can't be reduced to what he wears. Players change with the years, it's normal. Sleeves or not, who cares? Not even the player himself.

sh@de
04-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Still don't understand why 31-year old Moya can wear sleeveless shirts, and nobody calls him "immature", and the maturity of 23-year old Rafa depends on sleeves. Sleeveless shirts and pirates were his brand and his image. Why change it to atrocious ice-cream cones (his IW attire) is beyond my understanding.

You fail at reading comprehension. Or maybe you just fail to read. Here, read up, from P_Agony:

Well, I agree, but you see, Rafa was #1 for a large part of 2008-2009 and as such they probably felt he needed a change in his clothing style because he was no longer the priate or the rebel, he was the king, and won the most precious award in tennis, Wimbledon, which isn't on the "dirty" clay but rather on the "royal" grass. as #1, Rafa had to mature, and with that his image and clothing style. I can understand why Nike made the change and I won't be surprised the same change will happen to Delpo when and if he ever reaches the #1 ranking.

Don't forget Federer's hair before he was #1 and a short period after that he changed his haircut to a much more mature style.

Cyan
04-09-2010, 07:19 AM
A player can't be reduced to what he wears. Players change with the years, it's normal. Sleeves or not, who cares? Not even the player himself.

Exactly. Agassi didn't wear the wig forever, no?

ttbrowne
04-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Hey, Life isn't over for Rafa. He's got talent and the clay court season is just starting. So, If you're a Rafa fan...hang!

reversef
04-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Hey, Life isn't over for Rafa. He's got talent and the clay court season is just starting. So, If you're a Rafa fan...hang!

Well, not optimistic though. Two tournaments in a row and his knees give up.

tacou
04-09-2010, 08:00 AM

I wish he were #2 (#1, really) but I'm glad he cleaned up a bit. he's not a kid anymore.

Ocean Drive
04-09-2010, 08:16 AM

So you like to look tacky, fair enough.

NickH87
04-09-2010, 09:20 AM
So you like to look tacky, fair enough.

So you like using words grandparents use....fair enough.

ronalditop
04-09-2010, 09:59 AM
I miss the Nadal of the old days that could beat Federer only on clay. :D

BigServer1
04-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

srinrajesh
04-09-2010, 12:20 PM
me too.. i think he shud try that again at least in exhibitions and then switch back ..
may brin g abt change in fortune again
rebel with a cause