PDA

View Full Version : Prince Precision Equipe - Pros and Cons?

netman
04-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Just picked up a Prince Precision Equipe MP Longbody from a fellow board member. I plan to remove the superflous extra inch (its kind of like an extra toe I guess) and give it a try. Any old Equipe MP users out there who can comment on the strengths and weaknesses of this frame? The old TW review called it in essence a friendlier version of the PS 6.0 85. All comments appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Hewitt_will_be_#1
04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
It's a great racquet but quite stiff. Used it for a while but it gave me elbow problems.

Steve Huff
04-14-2004, 07:50 PM
My doubles partner a few years back used it and the 5g almost interchangably. I hit with it a few times, and it did feel a lot like the 5g. RacquetTech, on their power/control grid had them very close also. Disadvantage--they don't make them anymore, so you'll need to keep the ones you have in good shape. I'd even try to start looking for some extra grommet/bumper guard sets.

Hawaii 5.0
04-15-2004, 12:38 AM
It was actually designed to compete more readily with the PS 6.1(one of the reasons it came in an OS also), but becuase of the box beam it had a feel more similar to a PS 6.0 95(not the 85 imo which is more demanding), yet stiffer throughout.That being said it has good control and a good sweetspot, but again stiffer,very stable becuase of high throat forks,serves and volleys well,very underrated imo.

netman
04-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'm a big 5g fan, so its interesting to hear it plays very similiar to that frame. From all your comments sounds like it will play very much like the racquets I am using currently. Can't wait to try it out.

christo
04-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Does not feel at all like the 5g, where did that myth arise? Feels like a PS 6.1, it's heavy and stiff and quite a bit of the heft is in the head but you can wallop a great flat serve, just try playing three sets with it. Better to get the Slaz Pro Braided, a better all round frame.

Alley Cat
04-16-2004, 12:51 PM
One of my all time favorite racquets! I also believe it was to compete with the PS 6.1. After Prince discontinued it, they went into a player's racquet tailspin.

Ace
04-16-2004, 02:27 PM
I absolutely loved my Precision Equipe oversize. I liked the power I got from it, and thought it had a good feel. I wanted to move to a midsize frame though, and was bummed that I couldn't find one anywhere since it was discontinued. I picked my Babolat Pure Control to demo since the specs were similar on the "Racquet finder" tool I found on some website (maybe it was this one).

Anyway, the Babolat doesn't feel much like the Precision Equipe at all, but I still liked it, so I bought it.

I wish Prince would bring it back, though I really don't want to get into the habit of buying a new racquet every year either.