PDA

View Full Version : Question on Div 1 Eligibility

Dream_On
04-08-2010, 04:07 AM
I know that if you take more than one year off before going to college that you are ineligible for div 1 unless you sit out a year. If you were to go to a div3/naia/jc then transfer to a div 1 after two years would you have to sit out a year or only have one year of elibility then sit out the year after?

renegades10
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
unless the rules changed i believe you are referring to what is known as the five year clock. if you sit out one year that counts as your redshirt year. any years after that count as your eligibility years. so if you took two years off from college you would be a sophomore eligibility wise for sports. no need to sit out another year. this is for d1 only though the others have their own rules.

Larrysümmers
04-11-2010, 07:22 AM
unless the rules changed i believe you are referring to what is known as the five year clock. if you sit out one year that counts as your redshirt year. any years after that count as your eligibility years. so if you took two years off from college you would be a sophomore eligibility wise for sports. no need to sit out another year. this is for d1 only though the others have their own rules.

can you still practice on the team? Or can you not have any involvement with the team at all?

renegades10
04-13-2010, 01:46 PM
can you still practice on the team? Or can you not have any involvement with the team at all?

If you sit out the first year as in don't go to college, you can't practice with the team. If you redshirt, then yes you can practice with the team you just can't participate in any competition. At the academy I work at, we have had several players who try the pro circuit for a year to see if they can make it as well as a few others try to improve enough to get a scholarship to one of the top schools. They do it for a year and then go on to college as freshmen eligibility wise.

Dream_On
04-17-2010, 08:51 AM
If you sit out the first year as in don't go to college, you can't practice with the team. If you redshirt, then yes you can practice with the team you just can't participate in any competition. At the academy I work at, we have had several players who try the pro circuit for a year to see if they can make it as well as a few others try to improve enough to get a scholarship to one of the top schools. They do it for a year and then go on to college as freshmen eligibility wise.

No that isnt what I mean, I mean to be eligible for div 1 you get 5 years after attending high school.. The course I am doing is not counted by the ncaa as full time and therefore to them I will have graduated from high school two years ago. I want to know if I go to a junior college, naia or div 3 and then transfer after 2 years.. would I have to sit out my third year and play the fourth or play the third and sit out the fourth or play the third and fourth year or not be able to play at all.

renegades10
04-17-2010, 08:54 PM
No that isnt what I mean, I mean to be eligible for div 1 you get 5 years after attending high school.. The course I am doing is not counted by the ncaa as full time and therefore to them I will have graduated from high school two years ago. I want to know if I go to a junior college, naia or div 3 and then transfer after 2 years.. would I have to sit out my third year and play the fourth or play the third and sit out the fourth or play the third and fourth year or not be able to play at all.

If you sit out two and then play two years at another school you will have one year left to play D1, no need to sit out a year.

Cross-court
04-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Is there an age limit to play college tennis? If you got out of high school and spent 2 years without going to any college (let's say you were just working), can you still make the team or get a scholarship for tennis if let's say you're a good player?

rosenstar
04-22-2010, 04:52 PM
I know that if you take more than one year off before going to college that you are ineligible for div 1 unless you sit out a year. If you were to go to a div3/naia/jc then transfer to a div 1 after two years would you have to sit out a year or only have one year of elibility then sit out the year after?

see my post from another thread:

You have 4 years of eligibility and 1 year of redshirting is allowed. Your eligibility starts when you enroll in a college. For those of you who aren't familiar with college sports a "redshirt" year is when a player is on the team but does not play for a year. A "redshirt" year does not count against a player's 4 years of eligibility. However, if you play as little as one minute (or in the case of tennis, one match) you lose your redshirt year.

Often teams recruit players and have them "redshirt" their freshman year if the recruit cannot be well utilized in the current line up. A player may also be granted a "medical redshirt" by the NCAA if he/she missed a year of eligibility due to injury.

If a player claims prize money or other winnings from tennis, he/she must claim professional status and forfeit all eligibility. However, the player is allowed to keep enough prize money to pay for expenses (racquets, string, gas, tournament entry fees, housing, etc.).

The NCAA is full of concluded laws that pretty much apply to all sports (with some exceptions). Obviously the prize money clause can be better applied to tennis than football.

Anyways, to answer your original question, yes, you can take time off to work without losing eligibility. Semi-related story, Boston College Quarterback Dave Shinskie played minor league baseball (and no college baseball) for a few years and came back to college in his mid 20's to play football. Since he claimed prize money in a different sport, it doesn't violate any NCAA rules.

Make any sense?

10isRocs
04-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Can someone tell me if you redshirt for a year, will/can a D1 schools still give you an athletic scholarship? For instance, if you sit out your freshman year and you take 5 years to graduate (and play 4 of those years), will they give you the scholarship for the additional year of school?

andfor
04-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Can someone tell me if you redshirt for a year, will/can a D1 schools still give you an athletic scholarship? For instance, if you sit out your freshman year and you take 5 years to graduate (and play 4 of those years), will they give you the scholarship for the additional year of school?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/NCAA/Legislation%20and%20Governance/Eligibility%20and%20Recruiting/Faqs/eligibility_seasons.html

Amazing how much can be found by Googling (NCAA Age Limit) a question or going directly to the source. NCAA.org, NAIA.org and NJCAA.org.

10isRocs
04-23-2010, 07:14 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/NCAA/Legislation%20and%20Governance/Eligibility%20and%20Recruiting/Faqs/eligibility_seasons.html

Amazing how much can be found by Googling (NCAA Age Limit) a question or going directly to the source. NCAA.org, NAIA.org and NJCAA.org.

Just to clarify, I know what a redshirt is...what I want to know if it is common for/or is a college allowed to give you scholarship money during the year you are redshirt-ed...thus receiving 5 years of scholarship $$?

rosenstar
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Yes. You can be on scholarship during your redshirt year. So you can play for 4 years and redshirt for 1 year, and be on scholarship for 5 years. Did that answer your question.

BTW to my knowledge these rules only apply for DI schools. I don't know the rules for DII, DIII, or NAIA.

10isRocs
04-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Yes. You can be on scholarship during your redshirt year. So you can play for 4 years and redshirt for 1 year, and be on scholarship for 5 years. Did that answer your question.

BTW to my knowledge these rules only apply for DI schools. I don't know the rules for DII, DIII, or NAIA.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know :)

DartMarcus
04-24-2010, 02:33 AM
I have a question: Is it okay if I have already enrolled in a 4-year college for a couple of months but still come to the us college as a freshman?

andfor
04-24-2010, 04:09 AM
I have a question: Is it okay if I have already enrolled in a 4-year college for a couple of months but still come to the us college as a freshman?

Sure, what's stopping you? But if you're a 35 year old doctorate student who is a former top 100 ATP player that's another story.

rosenstar
04-25-2010, 01:30 PM

Sure, what's stopping you? But if you're a 35 year old doctorate student who is a former top 100 ATP player that's another story.

mmm I'm not sure how schools overseas factor into eligibility. If you're a 35 year old doctorate who did their undergrad at an american university, you would have used up all your eligibility. I don't see why it would be any different if you did your undergrad overseas. My guess would be that you would lose your eligibility, just a guess though.

Edit:
I might have misread the original question, are you asking if you can attend a 4 year college overseas and then play for an american university?

DartMarcus
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Nope, I mean like I have studied some months in Russian university but then I decided to leave it before the end of semester to go to the US. So that I am coming as freshman not a trasfer student.
The question actually is if I should mention that I already attended some college for eligibility centre.

rosenstar
04-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Nope, I mean like I have studied some months in Russian university but then I decided to leave it before the end of semester to go to the US. So that I am coming as freshman not a trasfer student.
The question actually is if I should mention that I already attended some college for eligibility centre.

ha sorry, I don't know how this applies. Hopefully someone else here can answer your question.

jaggy
04-26-2010, 04:44 PM

Technically if you attend first day of classes anywhere your clock starts whether or not you drop out. Now, they may not find that out if you start somewhere remote.

andfor
04-27-2010, 05:54 AM

You'll have to disclose all your H.S. and college no matter if you're U.S. born or foreign. It would not also suprise me that you would have to produce a birth certificated as well.

Go to www.ncaa.org or ask a college coach who where you may be interested in playing.