PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else miss Kolya and JMDP?

nikdom
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I miss those two! Its a pity they're injured, because at the end of last season, both those guys were playing well. After a lackluster spring hard court season in the US, I wonder if things would have been more interesting with Kolya and JMDP around.

I'm a big fan of Davydenko's clean hitting and he's improved his serve so much. Delpo and his monster forehand are also great to watch when he's playing well.

Anyone know the prognosis on their injuries?

cknobman
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I miss Davy alot but Im impartial to Delpo; if hes there fine, if not I wont miss him.

Chris Rizutto
04-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I like to see ole Davy make the youngsters look like noobs.

nikdom
04-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I like to see ole Davy make the youngsters look like noobs.

Seriously! everyone is giving Roddick big props, but Davy doesn't have a big serve like Roddick yet he's pretty much been a top 6 player barring periods of injury.

He's so fast around the court, takes the ball so early and even more amazing than Roddick's transformation, has improved vastly at the net as well as on his serve.

I'd like to see Davy in a slam final for once.

nikdom
04-08-2010, 11:53 AM
^^ btw, Davy is the same age as Roger. He only looks older because he's balding.

P_Agony
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I miss Davy a lot, but DP - not so much, ever since the USO I find him annoying, and not because he beat Fed, but because there were some unpleasent moments in that match caused by him. Still a great player though.

Love Game
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
IW and Miami were definitely more boring and lackluster this year than they were last year ... and now with Monte Carlo going without Delpo and Kolya (not to mention Roger) there's lots more yawning coming up! :(

sdont
04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I'll join the majority by saying that I can't wait for Kolya's return. This guy's game is so freaking exciting to watch! Would have loved to see kick some *** on clay.

I don't care so much for Delpo, but I wish him to come back soon, because he could be a serious threat on clay too... and of course the more the merrier. Several months ago I even predicted he would win the FO this year IIRC. I hope for him his injuries won't hinder his chances there.

All-rounder
04-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Yes I do too :( lets hope they can bounce back soon in time for at least RG

Semi-Pro
04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I miss them both! Kolya probably more so than Del Po

OKUSA
04-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Kolya, most loved tennis player

join his facebook fan club please

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nikolay-Davydenko/21596267534

Rhino
04-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I bet Federer doesn't miss them.

pmerk34
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I miss Davy a lot, but DP - not so much, ever since the USO I find him annoying, and not because he beat Fed, but because there were some unpleasent moments in that match caused by him. Still a great player though.

Correct that turned me off, plus his hijacking of the awards ceremony with his incoherent ramblings.

P_Agony
04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I bet Federer doesn't miss them.

Why not? He owns them both, and he lost one crucial match to either and that was in the USO in a match he let slip away.

jimbo333
04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Seriously! everyone is giving Roddick big props, but Davy doesn't have a big serve like Roddick yet he's pretty much been a top 6 player barring periods of injury.

He's so fast around the court, takes the ball so early and even more amazing than Roddick's transformation, has improved vastly at the net as well as on his serve.

I'd like to see Davy in a slam final for once.

I absolutely agree:)

But I was at that turnaround at the Aussie Open, and I don't know if Davy will ever really recover from it:(

Vyse
04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I do miss Davy but not Del Potro. I can not stand Del Po. He is boring, and puts me to sleep. I do not care how hard he hits, his game is boring to watch.

Travis Fong
04-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Davydenko plays the kind of tennis that is pretty much every fundamental x 10. I love watching his game, such a clean ball striker, hits everything close to the baseline, doesnt complain much when he loses. I really like the guy.

Justdoit10
04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I miss Del Po but def not davydenko! I really cant stand that guy.

West Coast Ace
04-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Kolya, most loved tennis player
Sponsors would disagree.

Correct that turned me off, plus his hijacking of the awards ceremony with his incoherent ramblings.Yeah, how dare him not speak excellent English. What's wrong with those Argentinians? Next thing, they'll think the Falklands are theirs...

Like most, Davy a little more than JMDP. But hope they both make it back.

ronalditop
04-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I only miss Kolya. I really dont care about Del Potro. His game is rather boring, even though he hits very hard.

OKUSA
04-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Sponsors would disagree.

he plays the most exciting tennis on tour consistently. all he lacks is a good serve, and also the ability to win best of 5's vs the best. the sponsors won't give him anything because they believe he won't sell anything, which i would agree. the only people who cough up money because the pros use it wouldn't care for a person like davydenko

West Coast Ace
04-08-2010, 05:15 PM
...the ability to win best of 5's vs the best.No offense, but he's never won a major. Hasn't even been in a final - he's 0-4 in major semifinals.

Max G.
04-08-2010, 05:22 PM
No offense, but he's never won a major. Hasn't even been in a final - he's 0-4 in major semifinals.

Yes, that's why "the ability to win best-of-5s vs the best" was listed as something he lacks.

OKUSA
04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
well he met godmode federer three times, and took puerta to 5 sets. most people don't beat federer at slams, 23 straight semis is it?

Justdoit10
04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I think Del Potro is great to watch. He has so many great attributes. I also love the fact that he is so mentally tough. I remember countless times where he hit a 100 mph plus forehand winner out the *** on a break point followed a 140 mph second serve. The guy is a beast. Hope he is back soon.

West Coast Ace
04-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Yes, that's why "the ability to win best-of-5s vs the best" was listed as something he lacks.Sorry, misread it. Sounded like he was rebuting my point.

pmerk34
04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Sponsors would disagree.

Yeah, how dare him not speak excellent English. What's wrong with those Argentinians? Next thing, they'll think the Falklands are theirs...

Like most, Davy a little more than JMDP. But hope they both make it back.

The awards ceremony is never the time for rambling incoherently. Your post is filth

Justdoit10
04-08-2010, 05:52 PM
The awards ceremony is never the time for rambling incoherently. Your post is filth
He was overcome with emotion and was trying to thank his family.:o

OKUSA
04-08-2010, 06:06 PM
he's the reason there is an awards ceremony, at least let him say something in his native language

nikdom
04-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Surprised to see so many of you dislike Delpo. I like his game. So far I've seen nothing from him that would really upset me. He takes his time between points and also when challenging but that's about it.

AznHylite
04-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I miss Davydenko, but I don't care at all about JMDP.

Uvijek Argen
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Yes, I miss those 2 players. Care less if they won or not a major, they are great to watch.

anointedone
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
After the last 2 Masters events I miss them more. Surprises are nice but some of the top echelon, which these 2 are still a part of IMO, performing is essential IMO. These 2 could join Roddick in capatilizing on the underperforming of Federer, Djokovic, and Murray especialy the last couple months and take some of that glory they are often just shy of.

fedhingis515
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Kolya yes, Delpo no.

Semi-Pro
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
So is Del Po playing in Monte Carlo?

“I am specially pleased to be able to award Andy Murray with a Wild Card. He is one of the most talented young players of his generation. With Andy (No.4) Novak Djokovic (No.2), Rafael Nadal (No.3) and Juan Martin del Potro (No.5) already committed, our tournament now has also the young pretenders for the Number 1 spot”.

From the Monte Carlo website.

jamesblakefan#1
04-08-2010, 10:41 PM
well he met godmode federer three times, and took puerta to 5 sets. most people don't beat federer at slams, 23 straight semis is it?

Fed was def not in godmode this year's AO. Nearly was down 2 sets to 1 to Andreev, was getting smoked by Davy in that very QF match before Davy inevitably went away and Fed as usual stepped up on the big points. But if Davy was meant to be a slam champ he should have won that match, or at least performed better in those middle 2 sets.

And he should have also beaten Puerta, though Puerta was doping that year and that was really before Davy was at his peak. I think the point still stands - Davy's just a major league headcase when it comes to best of 5 matches, particularly against the best players. He even admits it often when he says best of five isn't for him. With that kinda mentality how was he ever supposed to be a slam champ?

To answer the OP, I personally miss JMDP more than Davy, I love his game, love his emotion out there, heck even when he beat Blake at the AO this year I had to respect how deep he dug even though he was obviously hurting. Hopefully he returns healthy, I think he has potential to win another 1-2 slams if he stays injury free, which may be a big if. Davy never shows in the big matches in the slams, so it's neither here nor there with me for him. Not nice to have any player go down b/c of injury, so I miss both, just tend to miss JMDP more.

namelessone
04-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Off-topic but I did not want to create a separate thread:

Sod out of MC with knee injury:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08042010/58/soderling-monte-carlo.html

Like I said before,the ATP need to make less mandatory events and have less HC events(replace them with grass or clay).

Recap: Roddick missed TMC last year due to injury.

Nadal had major injury troubles in 2009 and now in 2010.

Fed had a lung infection(though this is not related to tennis)

Davy has been out for quite some time with injured wrist.

DelPo also has wrist problems and is out for barca and rome.

Murray had wrist problems not long ago.

Soderling had elbow problems at the beginning of 2010 and now is out of MC cause of the knee.

Gen
04-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I miss those two! Its a pity they're injured, because at the end of last season, both those guys were playing well. After a lackluster spring hard court season in the US, I wonder if things would have been more interesting with Kolya and JMDP around.

I'm a big fan of Davydenko's clean hitting and he's improved his serve so much. Delpo and his monster forehand are also great to watch when he's playing well.

Anyone know the prognosis on their injuries?

Davydenko will be back in Monte Carlo. Del Potro is skipping Monte Carlo and Barcelona, but plans to be in shape for Rome.

rommil
04-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Both of them got kidnapped by Sony to develop Playstation 4.

Anaconda
04-09-2010, 02:13 AM
They both have good games; Davydenko has very consistent and quite hard strokes. He's one of the guys who can spring a surprise in a grand slam. I don't really get inspired by watching him play though. Probably because he acts like a robot half of the time - a little personality on court does help. I like JMDP because he is someone a little different in recent times to actually win a grand slam (Safin i believe was the last guy to power him way to a slam). Yeah i could say i like both but i don't particularly miss them to death.

sh@de
04-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Both of them got kidnapped by Sony to develop Playstation 4.

LOL. 10 chars.

kaleidoskope
04-09-2010, 03:45 AM
Well, lemm chime in on this one...

I never thought I'd say that but I actually miss Juan Martin. I was mad at him for defeating Roger in the USO but I rather watch him play than Davydenko. His game is exciting with his huge hitting on almost every side. And he is very humble, make judgment mistakes like any other human being from time to time (like when he got aced by Roger and then said he was not ready...) but nevertheless I think he had a consistency that some of the other top players are lacking lately. And along with Marin hes the only giant out there that I can see eventually winning all grand slams. They both have the game. I hope that with time (let's not forget how young they are) their mental skills will be up top too. At this level most will agree that it's definitely not a technical thing. What will make a difference between an eternal top 10 player and a real number 1 spot contender? In my opinion it's about 50% mental, 40% fitness (the ability to stay healthy and injury free for long periods of time) and 10% shot improvement.

sh@de
04-09-2010, 05:28 AM
I miss both of them, Davydenko more so because he's such a great personality.

Mortifier
04-09-2010, 06:38 AM
I was absolutely thrilled to see Davydenko doing so good in the late 2009, and was really certain that he would reach the top 4 spots again with having almost the entire spring to gain points. Too bad he got hurt again, otherwise we would have some shifting in the rankings for once.

DelPo? I do not care that he doesn't speak English, but it would be nice if he was to SPEAK UP sometime in this century. Even though his English sucks, you should not have to increase the volume on the tele to maximum to catch a single word.

pmerk34
04-09-2010, 06:45 AM
I was absolutely thrilled to see Davydenko doing so good in the late 2009, and was really certain that he would reach the top 4 spots again with having almost the entire spring to gain points. Too bad he got hurt again, otherwise we would have some shifting in the rankings for once.

DelPo? I do not care that he doesn't speak English, but it would be nice if he was to SPEAK UP sometime in this century. Even though his English sucks, you should not have to increase the volume on the tele to maximum to catch a single word.

Plus he angered Andy Murray with his antics in a match as well

rk_sports
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Koyla.. I think he is just missing a few so far .. so haven't really thought in those lines

Definitely miss JMDP...just when I thought we got someone who matured to have the ability to beat Roger at the biggest stage, wanted to see where he will go.. not into injury

Cesc Fabregas
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I haven't been able to live without them.