PDA

View Full Version : Federer pre-match sleeping ritual

Raindogs
04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into Fed's pre-match sleeping schedule. I mean, do you think he gets the full 8 hours before every match or tries to get by on less in the early rounds before meeting any tough competition?
I'm just trying to get my own pre-match ritual "dialed in" before the big 3.0 tournament this weekend. I mean, I've got the racquet, the shoes, bag, polo and headband ... and every little tip into the master's game can't hurt, right fellas?

r2473
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
He sleeps upside-down with his eyes open 1 hour each night.

rovex
04-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm just trying to get my own pre-match ritual "dialed in" before the big 3.0 tournament this weekend. I mean, I've got the racquet, the shoes, bag, polo and headband ... and every little tip into the master's game can't hurt, right fellas?

lol. Very interesting. Although, i hope you're not being serious.

Augustus
04-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Actually Federer never sleeps, except during matches.

P_Agony
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Federer is a vampire, he doesn't sleep. Problem is, Nadal is a vampire slayer (yeah, I though those were only ladies myself).

paulorenzo
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
a question was asked, i believe, regarding the situation with the newborns and if they kept him up at night. if i recall, he mentioned in the interview not feeling right if he doesn't sleep 12 hours a day and states that he and mirka have nannies, thankfully, to help out with the babies.

Badger
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
^^ Yeah that's right. I read that too and apparently he sleeps like alog and is impossible to get up and doesn't feel right if he doesn't get 12 hours, Can't remember what that article was though.

OddJack
04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
How Roger Federer Keeps Fit?

Written by Jesse Regan Tuesday, 18

August 2009 02:22

-----------------
Being the worlds top tennis player today, makes many people wonder what Roger Federer does to keep himself fit. He definitely did not sleep like a dog and eat like a pig on his way to greatness. It is definitely not just balls and racket all day long. Tennis may be his career but it would do him harm if he does not allot a few hours for toning his physique. He has to spend time for fitness training and take the proper diet. Being the worlds top tennis player today, makes many people wonder what Roger Federer does to keep himself fit. He definitely did not sleep like a dog and eat like a pig on his way to greatness. It is definitely not just balls and racket all day long. Tennis may be his career but it would do him harm if he does not allot a few hours for toning his physique. He has to spend time for fitness training and take the proper diet. People would assume that Federer, young and healthy at twenty-seven, does not need to sweat it out with fitness routines. His activeness in sports assures him of a lean and muscled physique already. The Swiss Maestro sees otherwise though as he goes into workouts like any other dedicated weight-watcher. He also makes sure that he never lacks rest. To rejuvenate himself for the next day, he sleeps for about 10 hours at night, beyond the average period a guy his age would need. Off-season, when there are no tournaments to participate and win, Federer spends even more time with fitness trainer Pierre Paganini in workouts. The duo could do exercises for more than 10 hours a week. Their average workout hours every season could actually last to an astonishing 100 hours. Federer, however, sees that as no mean feat but just routine, a necessity to defend his Number One standing in the world of tennis. In fact, he admitted that he is never contented with just being 100 percent physically fit. Muscles are what makes his powerful backhands tick. In order to maintain these, Federer lifts weights and dumb bells to strengthen his arm muscles. Doing so has made his strikes and serves feared by many opponents. He also skips ropes and does a lot of sprinting to heighten his staying power in every game. With lateral lunges and twists, he improves his bodys total flexibility to respond to his opponents strikes. He would even use the barbell doing lunges and twists to develop more muscles. The medicine ball is one of the things the tennis champion cannot do without in his daily workouts. Federer uses this often to develop his agility and upper body strength as well. Passing the medicine ball back and forth with a partner, usually Paganini, across the tennis court and back also sharpens his hand and body coordination. To even make the exercise more advantageous, Federer shuffles his steps while passing and receiving the medicine ball. Federer eats to complement and supplement his tedious and long workouts. His tired body would naturally require him to eat the right food. Unlike others, he rarely takes in dietary supplements though. He usually takes in food that will not compromise his gains in the workouts. When he is away for the big games or for doing functions, he leashes his cravings. However, when he is in home with the family in Basel, Switzerland, he allows himself to enjoy the food. You can have great knowledge about workout routine from the tennis guy. 1/2 How Roger Federer Keeps Fit? Written by Jesse Regan Tuesday, 18 August 2009 02:22 About the Author: If you enjoyed reading tips about workout , then I guarantee you will love to see this. It is a great opportunity to get in the best shape of your physical and financial life. Contact me if you want to workout at home and earn money doing it. Remember, everything I say is a guarantee. 2/2

http://www.essentialaromatheraphy.com/3504/how-roger-federer-keeps-fit/

Ledigs
04-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Hmm I suppose he wouldn't have had time to find a new girl anyway with that sleeping schedule, although I must admit I sleep that much if I can myself

OddJack
04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
In this interview he says he sleeps 11-12hrs a day:

Q: And what about your sleep? Word is that you sleep like a log.

RF: True! If I don’t sleep 11 or 12 hours a day, it’s not right. If I don’t have that amount of sleep, I hurt myself. When the twins cry and that I’m in a tournament, I put my earplugs and I go back to sleep

Whole interview here: Here (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HeAxYPsHExIJ:ruansfedererblog.com/%3Fp%3D2402+federer+sleeps+hours+day&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

volleynets
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into Fed's pre-match sleeping schedule. I mean, do you think he gets the full 8 hours before every match or tries to get by on less in the early rounds before meeting any tough competition?

Are you saying you have Federer's racket, Federer's shoes, Federer's bag, Federer's Nike Polo, and a Nike Headband? You do realize at your level playing with that racket is just stopping you from doing your best?

Mustard
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Federer apparently sleeps 11-12 hours per day. They put this to Nadal once and asked how much sleep he has, and Nadal said 8-9 hours per day.

Commando Tennis Shorts
04-08-2010, 04:58 PM
lol. Very interesting. Although, i hope you're not being serious.

Don't be hating. Let me guess: A 3.0 tournament is below you? That obviously makes you a superior person; why not look down on everyone else whose tennis level is below yours? :???:

Whether you're a 3.0 or a 7.0, winning means a lot to you if you love tennis; therefore, yes, tournaments are important, even if they are 3.0

...elitist

defrule
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Roger Federer does not sleep, he waits...

Big_Dangerous
04-08-2010, 05:08 PM
^^ Yeah that's right. I read that too and apparently he sleeps like alog and is impossible to get up and doesn't feel right if he doesn't get 12 hours, Can't remember what that article was though.

Yeah reading that makes me feel a lot better about how much sleep I get, which is way less compared to Roger. I probably get about 8 or 9. Though if I sleep past 10 I feel really weird.

OKUSA
04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
i also sleep 10-11 hours a day but i'm no federer

i could never understand people who sleep 6 hours a day and feel fine, imo everyone can find time to sleep at least 8 hours if they can't then they are either lying or just don't want to find time

valiant
04-08-2010, 05:25 PM

i could never understand people who sleep 6 hours a day and feel fine, imo everyone can find time to sleep at least 8 hours if they can't then they are either lying or just don't want to find time

Insomniacs.

CyBorg
04-08-2010, 05:28 PM

-----------------
Being the worlds top tennis player today, makes many people wonder what Roger Federer does to keep himself fit. He definitely did not sleep like a dog and eat like a pig on his way to greatness.

Ugh. The expression is 'sleep like a log' or 'work like a dog'. I stopped reading right there.

OddJack
04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Ugh. The expression is 'sleep like a log' or 'work like a dog'. I stopped reading right there.

Go back to sleep if you are too tired to read.

CyBorg
04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Go back to sleep if you are too tired to read.

I read all the time. I just don't like reading... you know, crap.

Justdoit10
04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
lucky roger! I am running on 2 hrs of sleep last night and studying right now. :(

It must be amazing doing what you love and still living the big life.

OddJack
04-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I read all the time. I just don't like reading... you know, crap.

You dont know it's crap until you read it. What's really crap is quoting out of context and conclude the rest is worthless.

"""Gotcha everybody!!! the expression was this not that!!!""""

Haha.

CyBorg
04-08-2010, 06:06 PM
You dont know it's crap until you read it. What's really crap is quoting out of context and conclude the rest is worthless.

"""Gotcha everybody!!! the expression was this not that!!!""""

Haha.

I did you a favour and read it.

And it's crap.

OddJack
04-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I did you a favour and read it.

And it's crap.

And I have read you head to toe.

You're a smart *** in my book.

CyBorg
04-08-2010, 06:12 PM
You're a smart *** in my book.

That's not untrue.

West Coast Ace
04-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Are you saying you have Federer's racket, Federer's shoes, Federer's bag, Federer's Nike Polo, and a Nike Headband? You do realize at your level playing with that racket is just stopping you from doing your best?Thank him for his contribution to the Obama Economy... :rolleyes:

-----------------
Being the worlds top tennis player today, makes many people wonder what Roger Federer does to keep himself fit. ...It is a great opportunity to get in the best shape of your physical and financial life. Contact me if you want to workout at home and earn money doing it. Remember, everything I say is a guarantee. 2/2
I fell asleep halfway through. Is that going to help me play like Roger? :)

ChipNCharge
04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
"When the twins cry...I put in my earplugs and I go back to sleep"

Sounds like a heck of a daddy.

film1
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
He sleeps with and oxygen machine about 9 hours a night.

Miami Tiburon
04-08-2010, 07:11 PM
He would not be sleeping 11 to 12 hours if his wife looked like Roddicks wife I can tell you that.

Baselineg
04-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Ahh the life of a pro....sleep 12 hours,go to the gym,light hit,massage,nap,ignore twins.

quest01
04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
He sleeps with and oxygen machine about 9 hours a night.

Thats what Michael Jackson did.

Honestly I don't know how anyone can sleep for 12 hours, thats nuts. I guess it depends on the dream, if its a good dream I'll just keep sleeping.

Sentinel
04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
So Fed sleeps half his life away. Can someone enlighten us as to how often he has sex ?

quest01
04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
So Fed sleeps half his life away. Can someone enlighten us as to how often he has sex ?

Maybe he has sex in his dreams.

Tdot
04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
you guys believe OP was serious asking this question ? :D

Nextman916
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Maybe he has sex in his dreams.

The secret to working marriage.

big bang
04-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I sleep about 18 hours a day, guess Im the next GOAT.. only problem is that I cant play long matches, I simply fall asleep during the 5th set and thats not a good thing since the umpire wont allow sleep-delay (only 18 hours) I find this very unfair:shock:

rovex
04-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Don't be hating. Let me guess: A 3.0 tournament is below you? That obviously makes you a superior person; why not look down on everyone else whose tennis level is below yours? :???:

Whether you're a 3.0 or a 7.0, winning means a lot to you if you love tennis; therefore, yes, tournaments are important, even if they are 3.0

...elitist

Comprehension fail. I was laughing at the fact he said he plays with all the Federer gear and wants to imitate the same rituals as him.

dropshot winner
04-08-2010, 11:28 PM

11 hours? So you wake up, go to work, return home, eat dinner and go right back to bed?

Sentinel
04-09-2010, 02:10 AM
I sleep about 18 hours a day, guess Im the next GOAT.. only problem is that I cant play long matches, I simply fall asleep during the 5th set and thats not a good thing since the umpire wont allow sleep-delay (only 18 hours) I find this very unfair:shock:
Cut down on the ball-bouncing, toweling, picking and other delay tactics and you'll be able to finish 5 setters within waking hours.

What about post match interviews ?

And what if there are rain delays in between (Wimbledon) ?

mikro112
04-09-2010, 04:22 AM

-----------------
Being the worlds top tennis player today, makes many people wonder what Roger Federer does to keep himself fit. He definitely did not sleep like a dog and eat like a pig on his way to greatness. It is definitely not just balls and racket all day long. Tennis may be his career but it would do him harm if he does not allot a few hours for toning his physique. He has to spend time for fitness training and take the proper diet. Being the worlds top tennis player today, makes many people wonder what Roger Federer does to keep himself fit. He definitely did not sleep like a dog and eat like a pig on his way to greatness. It is definitely not just balls and racket all day long. Tennis may be his career but it would do him harm if he does not allot a few hours for toning his physique. He has to spend time for fitness training and take the proper diet. People would assume that Federer, young and healthy at twenty-seven, does not need to sweat it out with fitness routines. His activeness in sports assures him of a lean and muscled physique already. The Swiss Maestro sees otherwise though as he goes into workouts like any other dedicated weight-watcher. He also makes sure that he never lacks rest. To rejuvenate himself for the next day, he sleeps for about 10 hours at night, beyond the average period a guy his age would need. Off-season, when there are no tournaments to participate and win, Federer spends even more time with fitness trainer Pierre Paganini in workouts. The duo could do exercises for more than 10 hours a week. Their average workout hours every season could actually last to an astonishing 100 hours. Federer, however, sees that as no mean feat but just routine, a necessity to defend his Number One standing in the world of tennis. In fact, he admitted that he is never contented with just being 100 percent physically fit. Muscles are what makes his powerful backhands tick. In order to maintain these, Federer lifts weights and dumb bells to strengthen his arm muscles. Doing so has made his strikes and serves feared by many opponents. He also skips ropes and does a lot of sprinting to heighten his staying power in every game. With lateral lunges and twists, he improves his bodys total flexibility to respond to his opponents strikes. He would even use the barbell doing lunges and twists to develop more muscles. The medicine ball is one of the things the tennis champion cannot do without in his daily workouts. Federer uses this often to develop his agility and upper body strength as well. Passing the medicine ball back and forth with a partner, usually Paganini, across the tennis court and back also sharpens his hand and body coordination. To even make the exercise more advantageous, Federer shuffles his steps while passing and receiving the medicine ball. Federer eats to complement and supplement his tedious and long workouts. His tired body would naturally require him to eat the right food. Unlike others, he rarely takes in dietary supplements though. He usually takes in food that will not compromise his gains in the workouts. When he is away for the big games or for doing functions, he leashes his cravings. However, when he is in home with the family in Basel, Switzerland, he allows himself to enjoy the food. You can have great knowledge about workout routine from the tennis guy. 1/2 How Roger Federer Keeps Fit? Written by Jesse Regan Tuesday, 18 August 2009 02:22 About the Author: If you enjoyed reading tips about workout , then I guarantee you will love to see this. It is a great opportunity to get in the best shape of your physical and financial life. Contact me if you want to workout at home and earn money doing it. Remember, everything I say is a guarantee. 2/2

http://www.essentialaromatheraphy.com/3504/how-roger-federer-keeps-fit/

Paragraphs for the WIN!

LameTennisPlayer
04-09-2010, 04:29 AM
Federer apparently sleeps 11-12 hours per day. They put this to Nadal once and asked how much sleep he has, and Nadal said 8-9 hours per day.

can u blame him, i mean half your life in bed with mirka mmmm im surprised he wants to get out of bed in the morning or has enough energy to play tennis

Mahler
04-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Fed sleeps three days in a row and does not sleep the other four days of the week. If he has a match on any day he was suposed to be sleeping, he just drinks two bottles of scotch after the match and goes to sleep again until next match.

The source: itisnotimportant.com

ubermeyer
04-09-2010, 04:13 PM
just 8 hours? that's how much i sleep on a bad day