PDA

View Full Version : Donnay Graphite Borg

Roy Hobbs
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Just picked up this classic. Taking it out for a hit in a few minutes.

Ultra-thin beam. Original Donnay leather grip. Gut job. Grommets in like-new condition. Head in remarkably good shape.

Midsize, "Made in Taiwan According to Specifications And Design Of Donnay S.A."

http://i42.tinypic.com/doxh75.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/5yuj9y.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/30utvgp.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/1569wza.jpg

Larrysümmers
04-09-2010, 06:25 AM
I am drooling

Tennis Man
04-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Nice find. It's the only one missing in my Donnay collection. How does it play?

On a side note: I find that Donnays with 4 grommet pieces in the throat (PC1, Dorg Boron, etc) play much better than the ones with 3 pieces. Maybe it's just me.

struggle
04-09-2010, 07:08 AM
buttcap logo looks homemade. nice racket.

borg number one
04-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Very cool. When was this frame manufactured out of curiosity? I recall that Donnay graphite frames were/are pretty expensive (fine craftsmanship). It makes me wish we could have seen the man himself, Bjorn Borg play with graphite Donnay frames perhaps post 1982 or so, when players were all making the switch. That would have been very interesting to see.

Roy Hobbs
04-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I am drooling

I was too, when I came across it. I gave up collecting some time ago, but couldn't pass this one up. Wasn't looking for it, by any means.

On a side note: I find that Donnays with 4 grommet pieces in the throat (PC1, Dorg Boron, etc) play much better than the ones with 3 pieces. Maybe it's just me.

Very, very sweet. Very sleek. Swings remarkably easy; amazingly-thin beam just knifes through the air. Well-balanced--didn't notice its mass at all. Hard to believe that this was likely considered on the stiff side when it debuted. Beautiful feel. I use a dampener on everything, and didn't notice I had forgotten to put one on. Might be the loose (aging) string job. I assume it's gut because of the way it's slightly peeling. Blue spiral. Imperial Gut, maybe? Any experts? This frame has three throat pieces.

The racquet is super-plush with nice plow. It was a joy to return big groundies with the same pace, smooth and deep in the court. If only they still made them like this . . . .

It sounds like there's a bit of drill flash inside the frame. However, I don't want to remove the original grip just yet, or ever remove the grommets.

There's some adhesive residue from head tape that I want to clean up. Good news is that the head is thus in respectable shape for a racquet almost 30 years old.

The grip is a petite 4 1/4". Quite a bit smaller than I prefer.

buttcap logo looks homemade. nice racket.

Definitely old school, classic graphics on this one.

Very cool. When was this frame manufactured out of curiosity? I recall that Donnay graphite frames were/are pretty expensive (fine craftsmanship). It makes me wish we could have seen the man himself, Bjorn Borg play with graphite Donnay frames perhaps post 1982 or so, when players were all making the switch. That would have been very interesting to see.

Agreed. I couldn't pass this one up, as I was a Borg fan as a young beginner in the early 80s. I aways wanted a Borg Pro, but started with a Jack Kramer Autograph. By the time I moved on to graphite, I had a bumperless (Chicago?) ProStaff mid in hand. Wish I still had that one around to do a side-by-side comparison.

I think woodtennis dot com and 80s-tennis dot com have some info on this stick. I'll check it out.

I plan to eventually post this beauty in the For Sale area--after I take her for another spin!--or on craigslist or the Bay. If you want to see additional pics feel free to post an e-mail address and I'll get in touch.

borg number one
04-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I was too, when I came across it. I gave up collecting some time ago, but couldn't pass this one up. Wasn't looking for it, by any means.

Very, very sweet. Very sleek. Swings remarkably easy; amazingly-thin beam just knifes through the air. Well-balanced--didn't notice its mass at all. Hard to believe that this was likely considered on the stiff side when it debuted. Beautiful feel. I use a dampener on everything, and didn't notice I had forgotten to put one on. Might be the loose (aging) string job. I assume it's gut because of the way it's slightly peeling. Blue spiral. Imperial Gut, maybe? Any experts? This frame has three throat pieces.

The racquet is super-plush with nice plow. It was a joy to return big groundies with the same pace, smooth and deep in the court. If only they still made them like this . . . .

It sounds like there's a bit of drill flash inside the frame. However, I don't want to remove the original grip just yet, or ever remove the grommets.

There's some adhesive residue from head tape that I want to clean up. Good news is that the head is thus in respectable shape for a racquet almost 30 years old.

The grip is a petite 4 1/4". Quite a bit smaller than I prefer.

Definitely old school, classic graphics on this one.

Agreed. I couldn't pass this one up, as I was a Borg fan as a young beginner in the early 80s. I aways wanted a Borg Pro, but started with a Jack Kramer Autograph. By the time I moved on to graphite, I had a bumperless (Chicago?) ProStaff mid in hand. Wish I still had that one around to do a side-by-side comparison.

I think woodtennis dot com and 80s-tennis dot com have some info on this stick. I'll check it out.

I plan to eventually post this beauty in the For Sale area--after I take her for another spin!--or on craigslist or the Bay. If you want to see additional pics feel free to post an e-mail address and I'll get in touch.

Excellent. I started playing junior tennis with a Jack Kramer too. Wouldn't that racquet be circa 1985-1990?

Roy Hobbs
04-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Excellent. I started playing junior tennis with a Jack Kramer too. Wouldn't that racquet be circa 1985-1990?

Hm, hoping ericsson or another resident Donnay expert will chime in on the manufacture years of the Graphite Borg. I'm not seeing a Donnay code on this one.

struggle
04-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Hm, hoping ericsson or another resident Donnay expert will chime in on the manufacture years of the Graphite Borg. I'm not seeing a Donnay code on this one.

i'd guess early to mid 80's. doubtfully 1990, i don't remember seeing many of these.

vsbabolat
04-09-2010, 06:35 PM

The only Donnay Graphite Borg I have seen have been out of the same mold as the Pro Cynetic 1. Also the have had 4 grommets in the bridge.
One more, Donnay Graphite Borg :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e377/HOMEP666/classic%20racquets/102_0980.jpg

The one the OP has looks a little Pro 25ish in head shape to me.

ericsson what do you think?

Roy Hobbs
04-09-2010, 08:56 PM
The only Donnay Graphite Borg I have seen have been out of the same mold as the Pro Cynetic 1. Also the have had 4 grommets in the bridge.

The one the OP has looks a little Pro 25ish in head shape to me.

ericsson what do you think?

From woodtennis dot com:

http://i42.tinypic.com/33jlaht.jpg

Interesting. My recent acquisition, the one depicted on woodtennis, and SOY78's posted by vsbabolat seem to be differing variants?

Mine--with three throat pieces--has "Graphite Composite" on one of the beams and has only "Midsize" written on the throat. wood's has "Braided Graphite" on one beam and has additional text on the throat. SOY's has "Braided Structure" and "Graphite Composite" on the beams and "Midsize" on the throat. wood's and SOY's both have four throat pieces.

Perhaps differences in racquets produced in Taiwan versus Belgium? Were there such things as counterfeit sticks back then?

BTW vsbabolat, the head of my Graphite Borg looks less Pro 25-ish in real life. Must just be the angles of the pics.

Roy Hobbs
04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
More weirdness. There's a Graphite Borg currently on the Bay that has graphics similar to mine--text on one beam only and only "Midsize" on the throat--but this one has four throat pieces.

That makes four sticks of supposedly the same model, with four different sets of distinguishing characteristics. Three of them could possibly have only cosmetic differences in terms of graphics, but mine differs from all three when it comes to the number of throat pieces.

struggle
04-09-2010, 09:43 PM
More weirdness. There's a Graphite Borg currently on the Bay that has graphics similar to mine--text on one beam only and only "Midsize" on the throat--but this one has four throat pieces.

That makes four sticks of supposedly the same model, with four different sets of distinguishing characteristics. Three of them could possibly have only cosmetic differences in terms of graphics, but mine differs from all three when it comes to the number of throat pieces.

and the headshape. it's obviously not the same mold. plain as day.

ericsson
04-09-2010, 11:03 PM
and the headshape. it's obviously not the same mold. plain as day.

Nope it's not the same mold, it's an early Taiwan version, around 1983 Donnay produced some rackets in Taiwan, soon production came back to Belgium. The normal graphite Borg came out around 1985, apart from some cosmetics they are the same, the one the OP has is different and will play different too.

Roy Hobbs
04-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Nope it's not the same mold, it's an early Taiwan version, around 1983 Donnay produced some rackets in Taiwan, soon production came back to Belgium. The normal graphite Borg came out around 1985, apart from some cosmetics they are the same, the one the OP has is different and will play different too.

Thanks for the info, ericsson!

TheNatural
04-10-2010, 06:52 PM
has anyone used the version pictured at woodtennis? Are they any good? How much do they weight and how do they compare to the pro staff and other mid size rackets.